[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the worst Batman villain? I've been reading a collection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 21
File: scarecrow_batman.jpg (306 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow_batman.jpg
306 KB, 1296x730
Is he the worst Batman villain? I've been reading a collection of his """""best""""" stories and it's literally the same fucking story over and over again.
>>
No, but he is kind of one-note. His motives are too basic and his relationship to Batman is limited.
>>
>>84341686
>Mr Freeze
>Hush
>Mad Hatter
>>
File: 1887 was a good year.jpg (194 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1887 was a good year.jpg
194 KB, 517x768
>>84341686
>it's literally the same fucking story over and over again.

Oh child, I advise you to read again what you wrote.
>>
Scarecrow just hasn't been given a definitive modern interpretation yet. Too bad Morrison or Milligan some other British Invasioner with a flair for psychology and psychedelia never tackled him.

I don't play vidya but I'm sure some anon will bring up those Arkham games.
>>
>>84341686
There's only 2 kinds of Scarecrow stories you can tell. He either hits people with fear gas trying to steal money or he hits people with gas that...*SHOCK*...takes their fear away. No one has ever been able to come up with a third kind as of yet.
>>
>>84341832
His appearance in one of the early Sandman issues was pretty good.
>>
File: Joker 2.jpg (160 KB, 538x546) Image search: [Google]
Joker 2.jpg
160 KB, 538x546
>>84341686
>it's literally the same fucking story over and over again.

that can describe so many Batman villains
>>
>>84341835

what about when he was scarebeast?
>>
>>84341686

Almost every Scarecrow encounter goes like this.

>Open on a shot of Arkham Asylum, the Scarecrow is angrily reading a news story about Batman.
>"Damn that Batman! I'm sick of him not being scared! I'm going to do it! I'm going to scare Batman!"
>The Scarecrow casually walks out of Arkham Asylum through the gift shop and goes to his secret lair.
>"I know! I'll use my super potent new strain of Fear Toxin® to make Batman scared! but first I should make other people scared just so he knows it's me!"
>Later at the Batcave, Batman is watching a news report about a man who saw his shadow and immediately shit himself almost to death.
>"This must be the Scarecrow's doing! There's literally no one else who could be responsible!"
>Batman goes out and tries to figure out why people are shitting themselves almost to death in fear.
>"Yep, that's the Scarecrow, alright. I better go make a fucking antidote to deal with his stupid shit again."
>He does.
>Meanwhile, back at his lair, the Scarecrow is monologuing.
>"With this new brand of Fear Toxin®, I'm going to make everyone in Gotham shit themselves almost to death and Batman too! Hahaha!"
>Scarecrow gets in a blimp or some shit and starts spraying Fear Toxin® all over Gotham.
>Batman shows up and boards the blimp and beats up Scarecrow's goons and confronts Scarecrow
>"Ahh, Batman, I knew you would come! For you see, nobody loved me when I was born and I was always scared so fear is the master of--"
>"No, Scarecrow, fear must be conquered! Witness this literal embodiment of one of my key character themes!"
>Batman proceeds to beat the shit out of Scarecrow.
>"Ahh, you got me again, Bat--"
>"A TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE DOCTOR"
>Batman somehow sprays Scarecrow with Fear Toxin®, making him scream and cry like a little bitch while the GCPD take him away.
>"Well, it looks like the Scarecrow was nothing but a Strawman!"
>THE END
>>
>>84341832
Morrison doesn't really have the right mentality to develop Scarecrow. He tends to pick a theme and have it dominate his character narrative which doesn't really work well with someone like Scarecrow. If I were going with one of the Brit Invasion writers I'd probably pick Delano. I'd actually really like Ostrander to give him a go while focusing on social and cultural fears.

>>84341835
That mild but continuously upsetting fear that is tinged with a sense of inevitability. Like when you think about your grandmother slowly withering away in her nursing home, the Alzheimer's erasing her bit by bit.
>>
>>84341832
Milligan wrote a scarecrow story once and it was one of the best scarecrow story I've ever read.
>>
>>84341835
How about Scarecrow develops an anger or happiness toxin or something? Has a writer tried something like that yet?
>>
>>84341895
Two-Face is a big one. He's really only interesting before he becomes Two-Face and when he tries to reform. A standard two-face story is boring as fuck.
>>
>>84342097
How about we all stop being retarded and just do a psychological horror story with the scarecrow?
>>
>>84341895
I think Ra's is the only one that didn't become repetitive.
>>
File: you serious.png (406 KB, 502x373) Image search: [Google]
you serious.png
406 KB, 502x373
>>84341686
>Snyder likes writing horror
>does 2 joker stories instead of a scarecrow one
>>
>>84342138
He's never really been scary though. You'd need to redesign his costume into some Leatherface type shit which would probably suck.
>>
>>84342178
I think burlap bag and a trenchcoat works just as fine.
>>
>>84341686
Zsasz and Professor Pyg are far worse, anon.
>>
>>84342241

Those are both characters that only their original creators understood and could write and everyone who has tried since has completely face planted.
>>
>>84342241
>Pyg
Pyg was great for a one-shot villain, Him and el flamingo.
>>
>>84342178
But we can make him scary. Someone who knows your darkest fears and torments you with them shouldn't be hard to make scary.
>>
>>84342311
>>84342315
Pyg is Mad Hatter except with mutilation and Harry Harlow instead of mindcontrol and Lewis Carroll.
>>
>>84341686
I think that's Marvel Scarecrow you got there OP. Green clothes and crow army. All he's missing is his pitchfork and Danny Ketch about to break every single one of his bones and hold them together so they grow back wrong.

They never did explain how he got better from that.
>>
>>84342168
>Snyder just wants to get his name out using Batman so he can make more money
>does 2 Joker stories to get sales
>>
>>84342882
I hate Snyder Joker. He's more of a writer's pet than Dr. Doom was with Hickman.
>>
>>84341686
Not the worst - but easily the most wasted potential next to maybe Two-Face.
>>
>>84341940
Good one anon I keked
Do more
>>
>>84342315
I thought Pyg was great but Flamingo's always disappointed me. Morrison spent a few damn issues hyping him about how he's the sp00kiest sadistic cannibal and then he goes down in half an issue, and to fuckin Damian too if I remember correctly. Every subsequent appearance (like in Eternal) is just him jobbing. He can easily be a credible threat if anyone bothered writing a good story for him.
>>
>>84341686
>Scarecrow is too repetitive
>Joker apparently isn't

Are you retarded?
>>
>>84343763
Joker doesent have to be repetitive i like scarecrow but op is right it is easy to run out of ideas.
>>
>>84342921
What's really stupid is when they have two-face redo a coin flip because he dident like the result
>>
>>84343568
Flamingo actually got dickslapped so he lost to Batman.
>>
>>84343763
Joker has pretty diverse plots compared to Scarecrow lad
>>
File: jlu2.jpg (181 KB, 896x582) Image search: [Google]
jlu2.jpg
181 KB, 896x582
Most of Batman's rogues are done better with the Flash, it's just Batman is more popular to casuals so his villains get better treatment. Also Barry is a wet rag.
>>
>>84343763
joker fish. All I need to say, joker poisoned fish to look like him so he can get copyright money.
>>
>>84342241
Nobody ever thought those characters were good in the first place.
>>
>>84341686
Yea I've been re watching all of BTAS and pretty much every time he shows up the same thing happens... Also why doesn't he wear a gas mask all the time? He gets gassed with his own stuff way too often.

And why doesn't Batman just wear a gas mask all the time when he thinks Scarecrow is up to something?

That said I would call him the worst villain, he's shallow but he's easily one of the most malevolent and he tends to have big plans you know kinda like Joker he wants to fuck everybody up not just engage in corrupt business or something.
>>
>>84341686
>"""""best"""""
Fuck off.
>>
>>84346679
>And why doesn't Batman just wear a gas mask
This is a question I've honestly had since I was a kid. If he knows he's going after Scarecrow why doesn't Batman just automatically wear a gas mask? I guess then Scarecrow would just shoot him with darts though.
>>
>>84346679
*wouldn't
>>
Maybe its because of Cilian Murphy, but he was my favorite Nolan villain.
>>
File: 960.jpg (40 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
40 KB, 960x540
Best design. Also best story. He markets a toxin that nullifies fear (and self-preservation instincts).
>>
>>84341940
try your hand at describing the usual Joker encounter please.
>>
>>84341835
Scarecrow needs someone like Morrison to come and turn the whole concept on its head. He's been terrible for a long time now.
>>
>>84341686
WELL DONE BATMAN
WELL DONE

HOWEVER
>>
>>84346720
He was good but you gotta admit he was shallow. He's a doctor obsessed with fear and we get some sense that he was bullied as a child and now takes pleasure in using fear to dominate people.

That's not that interesting. The villains with more sympathetic back stories are better. Scarecrow is up there with Joker in "badness" but he's not as interesting as Joker. Joker can get away with just being evil you know but Scarecrow is not as fun.
>>
Why doesn't scarecrow get a fear ring again
>>
>>84346784
tv please you already have Bane
>>
>>84343763
No way did Englehart's, Haney's, Mike Barr's and Morrison Arkham had anything in common.
>>
>>84342137
Two Face is the complete opposite of one note.
>>
>>84346993
Two note?
>>
>>84344231
Have the rogues ever been good outside of Johns?
>>
>>84344231
You had to throw in that last bit to stoke the fires of the Wallyfags, didn't you?

fuck you I like all the flashes
>>
>>84341738
But Mad hatter once committed hat related crimes. Why do I feel most posters have only watched BTAS and Loeb's Batman books.
>>
>>84341835

Existential dread gas.
>>
>>84346724

Over the Edge is the best Scarecrow episode.

There's an idea. Leave Batman/the audience unsure of where reality begins and ends.
>>
>>84341940
>"Well, it looks like the Scarecrow was nothing but a Strawman!"
10/10
>>
>>84342241
I still don't get Professor Pyg. Please, can someone explain to me the entire Black Glove society, Thomas Wayne thing? I read through it, and fuck if I understood a single issue.
>>
>>84341686
Has Scarecrow ever subtly used mass fear?

Like trick Gotham into believing immgrants are the key source of crime or murder.

Brainwashed some guys to shoot up a mall.

Spread lines about corrupt union officials or mass job lay offs.

Poisoned a hospital and made people believe a new virus was on its way

Scarecrow would do even better if he stirred up the things people and communities actually fear. He should be more like Scare Mysterio instead of just Gasman
>>
>>84342876

Didn't he have supernatural powers for a while?
>>
>>84341940
>The Scarecrow casually walks out of Arkham Asylum through the gift shop and goes to his secret lair.

Holy hell. Pretend this dated /int/ meme is a picture of me laughing.
>>
>>84341781
what?
>>
>Mr Freeze
>Court of Owls
>Hush
>Man-Bat
>Mad Hatter
>Penguin
Yeah Batman has a lot of boring villains.
>>
>>84348497

Disagree with all but Man-Bat, Man-Bat is pretty fucking boring tbqh. New 52 Man-Bat as abysmal as well, that whole story line was a snoozer from start to finish
>>
>>84341686
Literally the same story over and over you say?
That seems a waste of work - why not just reprint said story whenever there's a marked?
Not much work for the creatives, eh wot?
In fact, they only did the story once, and they've printed it since.
I mean, if you meant "literally" and not just "figuratively", meaning "somewhat similar".

Do you even English?
>>
>>84348821
Give me exactly 2 good Penguin stories and 1 good Freeze story.
>>
>>84348891

Something something he did it for his wife

Shit I got nothing for ol' Oswald but I'm sure there's some back in Post-Crisis.
>>
>>84348857

I cringed
>>
>>84348947
I know, people who know their language makes the dimwitted uncomfortable.
>>
>>84348933
>the best Freeze stories are not in the comics
>the best Penguin stories are not in the comics either
>>
>>84348891
>>84348933
>penguin
Penguin - pain and prejudice
Jokers Asylum - Penguin
>mr freeze
Cold Snap

If you faggots aren't going to actually read comics you're obviously not going to know good storys with these characters.
>>
>>84346810
>The villains with more sympathetic back stories are better.
What a bunch of nonsense
>>
>>84341940
>better go make a fucking antidote to deal with his stupid shit again
lel/10
>>
File: spookt.png (447 KB, 369x412) Image search: [Google]
spookt.png
447 KB, 369x412
>>84346826
He did
>>
>>84341940
Well done, anon
>>
>>84350725
Reminder that Johns had a story about Scarecrow having the yellow ring but DC said no it

It could've been the a story that didn't follow >>84341940
>>
>>84341686
He is the worst in the sence that he is suppose tp be scary but he comes of as some lame ass lil bitch.
>>
>>84346740

>It's late night in Gotham and some guy notices a strange man doing strange things
>"Hey, buddy, stop being weird over here."
>SURPRISE, THE MAN IS ACTUALLY THE JOKER
>He promptly gases or stabs or murders the guy or something and laughs about how his mom's gonna freak.
>Back at the Batcave, Batman is watching the news.
>"This is Vicki Vale reporting that the Joker is murdering everybody and ruining everything again."
>"Alfred, it looks like my old nemesis, the Joker is up to his old tricks. Heaven knows what devious machinations are unfolding within his great criminal mind."
>"He probably just wants to fuck with you specifically again, Master Bruce."
>Back at the Joker's lair, he's doing some wacky shit like, I dunno, bouncing around on a pogo stick made of bombs.
>"Wehehahahaha I can't wait to take out my weird sexual frustration on Batman, he's so dreamy."
>Harley Quinn cartwheels onto the scene.
>"Mistah J, fuck me instead."
>The Joker promptly picks up a lead pipe and beats her unconscious.
>Meanwhile, Batman has been following the trail of dumb shit and murder to find the Joker.
>"The Joker is a tricky one, Commissioner Gordon. He's by far my most dangerous foe. We can never take things at face value and we can only guess at what--"
>"It's you. He wants to kill you or fuck you or maybe both, I don't know, just get it over with."
>Just at that moment, the Joker finds a way to broadcast all over Gotham City.
>"Sup, faggots: Joker here! Just a reminder that I'm going to kill everyone because I'm CRAZY wOooOooOooaaaah look at me somebody do something bwahahahaHAHA!"
>Batman flips a desk to show how serious he is about the Joker and then races to stop him, confronting him at an abandoned theme park or circus or a hot air balloon where the balloon is just his head.
>Con't
>>
>>84351109

>"Haha, I knew you would come for me, Bat-senpai! Please, punish me~"
>"I wish I knew how to quit you, Joker!!!"
>Batman proceeds to beat the Joker and his henchmen into submission and narrowly save Gotham from kekking itself to death.
>"You may have beaten me, Batsy, but I won for real because I'm fucked up like that!"
>"Damn it, maybe he's right..."
>"You know what'd be funny? If you killed me or something lmao I dunno go nuts."
>"No, Joker. If I kill you, I'd be no better than you! Take him away, boys!"
>The GCPD put the Joker in his unlocked cell made of paper mache at Arkham Asylum and make him pinky swear to be a good boy this time.
>As hundreds mourn the loved ones lost in another Joker rampage, Batman goes home and sips a cup of hot cocoa, comforted by his sense of moral validation.
>"Okay so I beat him this time, but I should definitely be careful next time because the Joker is a real big fucking deal. Goodnight, everybody."
>THE END
>>
>>84348891
Alan Grant and Moench runs and Alan Moore's Lovebird. You must be a casual to think that there are no Penguin stories.
>>
File: Scarecrow 3.jpg (54 KB, 296x596) Image search: [Google]
Scarecrow 3.jpg
54 KB, 296x596
Give him the ability to read the subconscious of those around him. Not to the point of being able to see things 100% clearly (otherwise he could find out everyone's secret identities too easily), but enough that he can understand perfectly what psychological hangups he could prey upon in order to undermine their mental integrity. Make him less reliant on fear gas and more about using this new ability to orchestrate events that drive people into madness or desperate action.

One of my favorite uses of the Scarecrow was in No Man's Land when he didn't have access to his fear toxin, so he had to whip people into hysteria the old fashioned way.
>>
>>84351478

Scarecrow really is one of the most squandered Bat-Rogues there is. He has so much potential, but it seems as if it's almost constantly wasted.
>>
>>84348891
The only good Penguin stories are from the Adam West show. They always seem like they don't know what to do with him in the comics.
>>
>>84342138
They did that in pre-N52 Detective Comics.

For a story where he was going around and scaring people without using toxin, it was alright, but it leaned way too far into "generic slasher" territory.
>>
>>84349977

I read shitloads of comics nigga its just that I read recent trash

ayy
>>
>>84350725

I said "Again" as in he should do that again
>>
>>84351109
>>84351126

gold

please do a series and collect it I will literally pay you
>>
>>84351109
>>84351126
10/10
MORE
>>
>>84342138
Nigger what, one of the stories is about him turning one of his clients/students into a sort of apprentice.
>>
File: 1346905310796.gif (2 MB, 177x150) Image search: [Google]
1346905310796.gif
2 MB, 177x150
>>84351126
>>The GCPD put the Joker in his unlocked cell made of paper mache at Arkham Asylum and make him pinky swear to be a good boy this time.
>>
>>84353563
>>84353612

The Riddler's another easy one.

>The Riddler gets ghosted on Tinder again and decides to fuck with Gotham City to feel better about himself.
>"It's so hard being such a fucking genius all the time, like, you don't even get it, you guys. The only one who could possibly challenge me is a guy who dresses up like a bat and punches people in his spare time."
>Spurred on by his memory of all the girls who never made out with him, the Riddler begins devising a master plan to outwit Batman.
>"Batman may beat me almost effortlessly every time we face each other but I've got a really good feeling about this particular plan."
>Later, Batman arrives at a crime scene where the Riddler has kidnapped the Mayor and then proceeded to spraypaint his autism all over the walls so that he gets caught.
>"This looks like the work of the Riddler, Commissioner. This is just the sort of intricate and devillish scheme his twisted mind would concoct."
>"It's the Riddler, holy shit, just Google the answers and go fuck him up already."
>"No, that's not how things go with the Riddler. If I'm going to remain one step ahead of him, I'll have to figure this out myself. Now, how IS a raven like a writing desk?"
>After spending a ridiculous amount of time running around Gotham solving shitty riddles and defusing booby traps, Batman locates the Riddler's lair and quickly walks into a trap.
>"Ha, looks like you fell right into my trap, Batman!"
>"Damn you, Riddler! You're such a legitimate threat!"
>"Now I'm going to kill you and the mayor and take over Gotham! Unless you solve my riddle, in which case I'll just let you go for some reason."
>"Okay, Riddler. You drive a hard bargain, but I'll play along..."
>"Good. I'm thinking of a number between one and three--"
>"Two."
>"FUCK!"
>Con't
>>
>>84354480
>The Riddler frees Batman and the Mayor and tries to make a smooth getaway on a pogo stick shaped like a question mark.
>"I did everything right! How could this have happened?"
>Batman swoops in and subdues the Riddler before he gets away.
>"It's over, Riddler! You've been solved."
>"How?! How did you figure out my amazingly complex yet extremely predictable riddles?"
>Batman confidently taps his temple as he prepares his explanation
>"Because I'm smarter than everybody who ever lived and also the protagonist."
>The GCPD take the butt-flustered Riddler back to Arkham Asylum, where they give him his keys, show him to his room and ask him how long he'll be staying.
>Later, Batman sits in the Batcave with Alfred.
>"It's a good thing I'm so goddamn smart, Alfred. Anyone else and the Riddler might have won the day."
>"I'm pretty sure our audience also figured out most of his riddles along the way, sir."
>"Well, that just means they're also really smart and that they should probably brag about it and use it to explain why my comics are so much more sophisticated than Superman's."
>"Right you are, sir."
>THE END
>>
>>84354480
Kek
>>
>>84354480
Is catwoman a hard one?
>>
File: Batman_Annual_11.jpg (57 KB, 400x612) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Annual_11.jpg
57 KB, 400x612
>>84351376

I don't think Moore wrote Lovebird. He wrote the Clayface story, but the Penguin one was done by a different writer.

And you meant this annual special, right?
>>
>>84354907

Nah, she's easy as fuck as well.

>Some snooty rich guy is talking about how expensive this giant, cartoonish diamond in his collection is.
>"Yep, this sure is an expensive diamond just sitting there being all big and expensive and shit. I sure do love being wealthy and an asshole."
>Just then, the lights go out.
>"Someone turn the lights on! I wasn't finished looking at my giant diamond!"
>The lights come back on and Catwoman has appeared, going out the window with the stolen diamond!
>"Someone stop that furry, she stole my diamond! Even though I'm an asshole and I deserve it!"
>"Meow, it's a good thing that he's an asshole and he deserves this, otherwise people would start to think that I deserve to be punished for my crimes or something crazy like that."
>With that she jumps out the window, does some badass acrobatic bullshit and uses her dominatrix whip as a grappling hook, escaping from the GCPD.
>At the Batcave, Batman is watching a news report.
>"This is Vicki Vale reporting that Catwoman has stolen another priceless artifact from some rich douchebag. It's okay, though, because he was an asshole, so there's really no need to ever think of her as a real criminal."
>"Hmmm. Even though that guy was an asshole, Alfred, I think we should put a stop to Selina's crime spree as soon as possible."
>"You just want to have sex with her again, don't you, Master Bruce?"
>Cut to Catwoman's lair, where we get treated to scenes of her being uncomfortably intimate with her cats.
>"Motherfucker, I sure do love stealing things. Almost as much as I love my cats! I'm a pretty complex character, nyaa."
>Con't
>>
>>84356303
>Just then, a news report comes on her television screen.
>"This is Vicki Vale reporting from the Gotham Museum where a rich douchebag who totally deserves to be stolen from has brought a cat made out of rubies to a city which is well-known for being home to an insane cat-themed burglar."
>"Oh, boy, time to steal some stuff, nyaa~!"
>Catwoman goes to the Gotham Museum under the cover of night and steals the giant cat-shaped ruby.
>"Wonderful! Another expensive cat-themed artifact which I'll probably just leave around the house."
>Just as she's making her escape, she's intercepted by Batman.
>"It's over, Catwoman! Give me that cat-shaped ruby and a blowjob if you're cool with that."
>"Oooh, Batman, I'm so horny and cat-like, meow. Don't hit on me, silly boy!"
>She proceeds to drape herself all over a fully erect Batman before suddenly kicking him in the dick or something and backflipping away.
>"Woah, she used her sex appeal to trick me! How unlike her!"
>Batman chases Catwoman around Gotham flirtatiously before finally beating her as gently as possible so as not to hurt his waifu.
>"Damn, Selina, you're a remorseless criminal, but I wanna get all up in you."
>"Does that mean you're gonna let me go?"
>"Yeah, okay, but give me the ruby and send me nudes later."
>Catwoman reluctantly gives up the ruby and leaves without suffering any consequences whatsoever.
>Later at the Batcave, Batman is struggling to contain his raging erection.
>"I want to fuck that cat."
>"You're actually a hypocritical piece of shit, aren't you, Master Bruce?"
>"I really want to fuck that cat!"
>Back at her lair, Selina shares another uncomfortably intimate moment with her cats before revealing that she actually stole a piece of the ruby while Batman was being a horny fuck or something like that.
>"Haha, fuck you, I'm Catwoman! Grrrl power!"
>THE END
>>
>>84341686

Arkham Knight has the best portrayal of the character. Mainly thanks to John Noble.
>>
File: 1439518744716.jpg (42 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1439518744716.jpg
42 KB, 413x395
>>84354504
>"Well, that just means they're also really smart and that they should probably brag about it and use it to explain why my comics are so much more sophisticated than Superman's."
>>
>>84341835
A gas that turns you into Batman
>>
>>84356303
>>84356338
Do one about killer croc, poison ivy or the penguin
>>
Scarecrow is absolutely my favorite Batman villian. I've always loved that he is the mirror to Batman, using fear for his own personal gain and manipulation. Scarecrow is a villain about dominance. Because of his childhood he can't stand being mocked he's obsessed with forcing the world to respect him, that he can control everyone a their basest levels. Writting Batman immune to his poisons is belittling and a failure to explore something that could be much more interesting. Any villain looks weak when you write the hero automatically immune to them. The Joker is only "oh so scary" because writers went off on a wank spree with im turning him into crazy murder plan edgelord.
>>
>>84356667
See that sounds deep on the surface but kinda loses meaning after decades of reading the same story about a man wearing a burlap sack using a gas to make a man wearing a bat costume relive the death of his parents.
>>
>>84356727
I think inferred depth is better then forced, throwing it in your face. Your reduction implies that the fun and childhood nature of comics is bad. Its not, thats what comics should be to me, all ages stories that are fun and somewhat silly, and let the reader engage in a world more fantastic then their own. Beating Batman into gritty realism and having gratuitous bloody knife fights while Joker implies Batman is the gay for him (I am referencing end game here) is not what I want nor does it carry depth to me. Character depth can be subtle.
>>
I loved what Scarecrow did in Heart of Hush and when he met the consequences
>>
>>84356354

It highlighted the biggest problem with him: The tools to bring chaos to any city he wants but limited by shit writers that are too lazy or keep using the Joker for easy money.

Give the man a good writer and an event that pits him against other heroes than batman and let him shine. Pair him up with villians that will complement his skills.
>>
>>84341940
Great post!
>>
>>84357215
The ending was also total fucking waste. Oh no! Batman shoved his needles into him the end. Scarecrow should be immune to the toxin, and they should have had an actual fight against Crane. He actually has martial knowledge in Crane style kung fu plus give him a nasty hand scythe to stick Batman with while he's drugged and ragged.
>>
>>84341832
Scarecrow was easily the worst part of the Arkham Asylum so I really wouldn't bring them. Though maybe he is better in Knight.
>>
>>84356303
>>84356338

Awful.
>>
File: PerfectlyErect!.gif (16 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
PerfectlyErect!.gif
16 KB, 320x288
>>84341940
>>
File: Cornelious Stirk.jpg (72 KB, 278x360) Image search: [Google]
Cornelious Stirk.jpg
72 KB, 278x360
>>84341686
you know youre a shitty villain when an obscure small time villain that only apeared in a few issues did a better job with the whole scary halucination gimick
>>
>>84356338
Arrrghh, those endings where the morally grey thief tricks the hero after a team-up and keeps their ill-gotten loot always bother me on some deep fundamental level.
>>
>>84357502
Butt flustered batfag detected
>>
>>84357685
Being an unsettling cannibal is different. Any villian ever would cause some kind of fright in people. Scarecrow's is that he targets your specific phobia to gain power over you. Scarecrow doesn't necessarily want to kill you, he wants to experiment, and play with your mind. Scarecrow is capable of bigger plans, while Stirk is just delusional.
>>
>>84354965
That was a cute story. I always thought Moore wrote the complete annual.
>>
>>84357421

All the Arkham except the first are guilty of wasting excellent build up. (And the first is debatable) Hugo was especially enraging.
>>
>>84354480
>>84354504
Amazing!
>>
>>84358013
Yeah, the only truly good think about the Arkham games, besides some design elements, is the gameplay. They do a good job of making you feel like Batman.
>>
File: 045.png (63 KB, 356x353) Image search: [Google]
045.png
63 KB, 356x353
>>84341940
You're pretty good.
>>
>>84342137
>big one
Riddler is another one. Though he at least had that bit in the Paul Dini run where he reformed and started competing with Batman on solving crimes. Too bad he didn't stay that way.
>>
>>84341686
>Is he the worst Batman villain? I've been reading a collection of his """""best""""" stories and it's literally the same fucking story over and over again.
Funnily enough when you really start thinking about it many villains don't have good stories.

Many people bring up BTAS because it feels far more "solid" than many comics.

I always remember someone on /co/ giving me a Mr Freeze story recommendation to read. Batman Snow. It featured:
>Criminals looking like they belong in the 70s, afros and all.
>Batman forming a team of civilians to help him combat crime then realising it was a shit idea.
>Mr Freeze seeing Nora as some magical, Super Mario esque, princess.
It was awful.
>>
>>84341940
>Leaked script for new Batman movie with Scarecrow as the villain.
>>
>>84342137
>Rucka's NML and Gotham central
>That two face story from O Neil's run
>Matt Wagner's faces
>Robinson' face the face
>dark victory
Not to mention the mainstream ones like Long Halloween, eye of the beholder and arkham asylum.
>>
As a kid Scarecrow and Riddler were my favorites.... yes I was the quiet nerdy kid.
>>
>>84362871
Are you me?
>>
>>84362901
They're literally revenge of the nerds, the villains
>>
File: Riddler_0033.jpg (200 KB, 668x589) Image search: [Google]
Riddler_0033.jpg
200 KB, 668x589
>>84354480
>>84354504
I like Riddler when he's trying to prove he's smarter/committing villainy by SOLVING a mystery.

You know, that actually makes fucking sense.
>>
>>84341686
Hes fucking awsome, kill yourself tbqh familia.
>>
>>84341832
Hes like one of the main villans in arkham knight.
His goal is to use his toxin to get batman to kill someone on live tv and then unmask himself
>>
File: Cudaisamused.png (290 KB, 449x430) Image search: [Google]
Cudaisamused.png
290 KB, 449x430
>>84341940
>>
>>84356303
>"Someone stop that furry
I spit out my drink.
>>
>>84347344
The Black Glove is a secret society comprised of the very rich and very powerful who, because they are so rich and powerful, are very bored and very corrupt. They decide to use their vast wealth to fund rigged "games" of good vs evil for their own entertainment. Basically they're a bunch of evil rich assholes who like to psychologically torture and murder good people for the fun of it. The leader of the Black Glove was Dr. Thomas Wayne, an immortal satanist and ancestor to Bruce Wayne who became immortal by ingesting the hyper adapter, a living weapon sent back through time by Darkseid, in the wild west. Dr Hurt funded Professor Pyg's experiments because he wanted to use Pyg's mind control drugs to take over Gotham.

That's Morrison for you.
>>
>>84341686
I'm so glad someone agrees with me. He's the most formulaic character in the fucking franchise. It's always the same moral and always the same defeat.
>>
>>84341738
Mr. Freeze isn't a bad villain, he's just hard to serialize. Go back and watch the "Heart of Ice" episode of Batman TAS. That's a good story in and of itself, the dead wife thing adds a nice element of pathos and tragedy. The problem is he can only avenge his wife once. When you start bringing him back as a villain after that first story, it just doesn't work.

Also, he's like the only villain that really LOOKS like he could kick Batman's ass. I mean he's got a gun and power armor, how is Batman gonna punch that? They never make him sufficiently threatening, but he's got potential. Don't write him off as a shitty villain. He's only got one story in him, but that's one damn good story.
>>
File: Cudalaughs.png (394 KB, 673x422) Image search: [Google]
Cudalaughs.png
394 KB, 673x422
>>84351109
>>84351126
>Heaven knows what devious machinations are unfolding within his great criminal mind.
>Batman flips a desk to show how serious he is about the Joker
>"I wish I knew how to quit you, Joker!!!"

Solid gold anon, you have a gift.
>>
>>84342178
This. This is why the scarecrow sucks. You have the Joker and the Ventriloquist and Scarface, and yet somehow the fucking SCARECROW is supposed to be the master of fear. And he's just not scary-looking at all.
>>
>>84346710
Batman has the scarecrow, the joker, and poison ivy. That he wouldn't wear a gas mask at this point is just fucking retarded.
>>
>>84347225
Hey, not bad
>>
>>84364802
>Scarface
Puppets aren't scary, they're just faggy.
>>
>>84347593
Now that would be a good story. Man, we should be writing these comics!
>>
>>84348891
Can't help you with the penguin, but "Heart of Ice" from Batman TAS was a pretty good Freeze story. Probably the only good Freeze story.
>>
>>84354480
Do Two-Face. Those tend to be pretty similar too
>>
>>84356303
Do 2Face. 2face is easy
> "But, what about morality."
> Turns his face the other way
> "No! The coin. THE COIN!"
>>
>>84364945
I beg to differ. They're the epitome of uncanny valley.
>>
File: BatHAHA.jpg (22 KB, 265x379) Image search: [Google]
BatHAHA.jpg
22 KB, 265x379
>>84356338
>>84356303
>>84354504
>>84354480
>>84351126
>>84351109
>>84341940
I'm fucking dying over here.
>>
File: Mr.Freeze by Mike Mignola.jpg (416 KB, 1280x898) Image search: [Google]
Mr.Freeze by Mike Mignola.jpg
416 KB, 1280x898
>>84364753
>>84364992
Deep Freeze was also good.
>>
>>84341940
True
>>
pretty much every scarecrow story i have read ends with scarecrow crying or screaming hysterically in fear.
hard to take him seriously and find him scary.
>>
>>84356338
>>"Woah, she used her sex appeal to trick me! How unlike her!"
My sides
>>
>>84348435
That's comics in general.
>>
>>84357421
At least Crane utterly won in Knight. He was the one to demask the Bat and expose him to the world.
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.