[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why didn't DreamWorks expanded this as a franchise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Over_the_Hedge_Poster.jpg (98 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Over_the_Hedge_Poster.jpg
98 KB, 300x445
So why didn't DreamWorks expanded this as a franchise?
>>
>>84340796

it had an ending, and it didn't need to expand.
>>
>>84340829
So did Shrek. And Madagascar. And Kung-Fu Panda. You're acting like unwanted sequels are a mysterious concept to Dreamworks.
>>
>>84341280
I wouldn't say any of those sequels were unwanted, except for maybe Madagascar.
>>
>>84340796
Because the turtle's VA died
>>
>>84341280
They all had an interesting universe to expand on, unlike the movie in the OP
>>
File: tumblr_mkc2uohvPT1s9d716o1_400.gif (924 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkc2uohvPT1s9d716o1_400.gif
924 KB, 300x192
I think it's because the film didn't make enough money.

I'll be forever sad over this tbqh
>>
>>84340796
Because it fucking sucked, anon.
It was boring, uncomfortable, and it was another goddamn liar revealed story.
>>
>>84340796
>So why didn't DreamWorks expanded this as a franchise?
Because the skunk waifu got with the cat in the end, and they were wise enough to know the viewers wouldn't be interested in a sequel where they'd feel cucked.
>>
>>84340796
It was sadly a box office flop...
>>
>>84340829
Dreamworks goal is always to expand into franchises.
Anything that doesn't have a sequel simply failed to perform well enough to get one.
>>
>>84341337
Nigga, the Madagascar sequels were great.
>>
The comic is still going so there's that.
>>
>>84340796
It had a videogame tie-in which expands on what happened after the end of the movie so there's that
>>
>>84345750
this
>>
>>84340796
Read the comic before the movie. Was understandable that they didn't make the turtle an alcoholic, the raccoon a sugar addict and that they didn't cheat on their wives, it was a kids movie after all.
I only watched it because of Bruce Willis and i haven't seen it since.
>>
>>84340796
>>84347364
This, a movie sequel wasn't needed since the comic was always there. A second movie would not only make things confusing, and maybe the creator didn't like the first?
>>
>>84340796
I knew one of the voice actors for this movie
If it was made into a franchise she would probably be a lot more famous now
>>
because it didn't do as well as them
>>
>>84341280
uh yeah? they had a lot of stories with loose ends could expand on their universes
i don't know what an Over The Hedge 2 would be about without it being to similar to the 1st
>>
Good.

It was a decent movie that didn't need to be ruined by sequels.
>>
No matter how good the sequels could have been; they could never keep Bruce in all of them.

I almost liked the Barnyard franchise but then I noticed how different the voice actors are from the movie and the disconnect was solidified.
>>
>>84341366
... What? Gary Shandling's not dead.

>ONE GOOGLE SEARCH LATER

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS YEAR!?
>>
File: Open_Season.jpg (42 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Open_Season.jpg
42 KB, 300x445
I don't know why but this thread made me instantly think about how Open Season continues to be a bloated rotting horse corpse that SOMEONE keep punching until pocket change farts out the backend.
>>
>>84344235
This
>>
>>84345097
>Budget: $80 million
>Box office: $336 million
I get that a blockbuster isn't considered that unless it goes over $1B these days, but that doesn't seem like a bad showing.

Actually, after looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks_Animation#Productions, it seems like they only give sequels to the ones that break $400M.
>>
According to an interview with a Dreamworks exec, this one was "close... very close" to getting a sequel.

If I had to hazard a guess, they probably weren't happy with the level of control the original comic strip artist had. He made them pull a potentially lucrative endorsement deal with Walmart because he disagreed with their labor practices.
>>
>>84349347
a movie doesn't make a profit unless it makes 100 times it's budget because the budget doesn't include the marketing which is often 350% more than the movie budget, catering, or the fact that theaters keep 90% of ticket sales.
>>
>>84349375
>100 times it's budget

A 10 million movie would have to gross 1 billion to be profitable? That can't possibly be right.
>>
>>84349542
It is according to /tv/ math
>>
>>84349542
He's talking about hollywood accounting, I think

which works differently for every movie, there isn't a solid formula or number for that
>>
>>84341366
>>84349229
FUCK
>>
File: 1402019431370.jpg (114 KB, 440x815) Image search: [Google]
1402019431370.jpg
114 KB, 440x815
>>84340796
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.