[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://youtu.be/fzmNUaO2uEM this faggot does have a point.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: to1_500.jpg (166 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
to1_500.jpg
166 KB, 500x707
https://youtu.be/fzmNUaO2uEM

this faggot does have a point.

It's getting harder for casuals to get into the MCU. It's turning into the movie version of comicbooks where you have to go back and ingest past information to understand what is happening now
>>
>>84330198
That isn't even remotely true
It is more fun if you have seen them all but not even remotely necessary
>>
>>84330198
>Giving a shit about the MCU.
>Getting upset if it fails.

The MCU literally ruined Marvel. I've been waiting for this franchise to die for years. The public is growing out of it's super hero phase of cinema.
>>
>>84330198
>Just watch the movies by release date
Wow, how hard is that.
>>
File: STAS_Luthor_zpsf5467940.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
STAS_Luthor_zpsf5467940.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>84330311
>Not getting the point this hard.

Casuals aren't going to have enough patience to sit through 13 movies. The death of the MCU is coming soon and I couldn't be happier.
>>
This isnt even remotely true, even if it was, it's the low minority. People just go to see a movie and most haven't even seen a lot of the movies.

Ex: Ant-man
>>
>>84330198
You don't need to watch everything to understand what's happening now and the same goes for the comic books. Continuity is just a tool.
>>
>>84330267
>>84330385
k
>>
>>84330311
No one's dad is going to watch multiple movies in order

>>84330436
Would Civil War even make sense with to a common person? Would they even know who black panther is? Or Ant-man?
>>
>>84330198
>It's turning into the movie version of comicbooks where you have to go back and ingest past information to understand what is happening now

I don't see what's wrong with that. Each movie of the MCU, as far as I see it, is just a new chapter in the story they're telling. That's like starting a book halfway in.

>What do you mean I gotta read the first half to understand? I don't want to read the whole thing!
>>
>>84330267
The MCU is the one forcing Marvel comics to replace the iconic characters into literally who minorities?

The comics division ruined itself.
>>
>>84330481
Casuals won't want to sit there and watch multiple movies. There should at least be some exposition for each movie now.
>>
>>84330198
Not really. Civil War had elements from Iron Man 3, CA:Winter Soldier, Antman and Age of Ultron, but you were able to follow the movie even without having watched them.
At most you'll miss some references and characterizations, but that can't be helped if the movie is part of a bigger universe( like with sequels and trilogies in the past)
>>
>>84330385
>Casuals aren't going to have enough patience to sit through 13 movies.
>Meanwhile, Civil War breaks a billion without a sweat

>DC Cinematic Universe is 2 movies in and already on life support
>MCU has 13 movies, a 14th later this year, and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon
>>
>>84330198
That's the entire fucking point. Digesting movies the way they do comics means that they'll go back and watch older movies for context. That means more money going into their pockets.
>>
>>84330479
Black panther isn't in any of the other movies, so seeing any of them won't help understand who he is. Plus his identity and motivations are built up very clearly during Civil War.

As for Ant-man, the plot of Ant-Man has nothing to do with Civil War aside from it causing Ant-Man to exist. Scott's personality and motivations are evident through his dialogue(ie, he's a huge Cap fanboy, he and Pym don't like Stark, he's previously met Falcon at some point). Plus his powers are pretty obvious even if you havent seen his movie, considering the first time you see him in costume he's already tiny.

So really no, at most you'd have to see Avengers 2 and Winter Soldier, and even then just to get the big Sokovia incident and understand who Bucky is. And even then I wouldn't call them "required."
>>
>>84330594
That's because the DCU is shit.

>MCU has 13 movies, a 14th later this year, and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon
Avengers: $623,357,910
Ultron: $459,005,868
Civil War: $405,730,681

It's dying. Don't lie.
>>
>>84330494
No, it introduced the Tumblr audience into Marvel and now literally every single book at Marvel is just a fucking advertisement for the MCU. Fuck off /tv/.
>>
>>84330267
>The MCU literally ruined Marvel.

If you only started reading comics anytime between Quesada coming on board and right now, you really have no damn idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>84330479
Would Civil War even make sense with to a common person?
Yes
Would they even know who black panther is? Or Ant-man?
BP is introduced in this movie and Antman is introduced as a "friend" of Falcon, that's more than enough for the audience to accept them
>>
>>84330594
>Implying I want the MCU audience to invade DC.

Good, I'm glad it's not doing well. They can focus on the comics.
>>
>>84330198
>want to start reading wheel of time
>what do you mean, i cant just start reading book 5, this is bullshit
i dont understand the problem, why would you be able to pick up any issue and know whats going on, if the storys were that simple i wouldnt want to read them
>>
>>84330385
>Casuals aren't going to have enough patience to sit through 13 movies.
>Meanwhile, binge watching an entire series on Netflix is a common practice
>>
>>84330198
>Avengers
>Winter Soldier
>Age of Ultron
>Civil War
Literally the only MCU movies that need to be watched.Maybe Thor 1 too if you want to understand Loki and the Tessaract
>>
>>84330900
>Maybe Thor 1 too if you want to understand Loki and the Tessaract

You'd have to watch Cap 1 to have a better understanding of the Tesseract. And maybe Bucky.
>>
You know, when I started watching Ultron, I felt a little lost. They kept referencing things that I assume happened in various character-specific movies (Iron Man 3, Dark World, and Winter Soldier) that I honestly hadn't been all that interested in watching when they'd originally come out. I knew their general plotlines, but that didn't exactly help me.

I know it's ultimately a ploy to get people to watch more of the movies, but it's a dumb move from a narrative standpoint.
>>
>>84330551
aww, did you need some spoonfeeding?

>>84330750
took a friend to see deadpool and civil war. Without knowing any backstory, she still enjoyed both movies alot, but likely will not go watch all the rest.
Its only the autists around /co/ that would insist on watching and reading all the history for fear someone might call them casual
>>
File: 3473534-lukecagedancing.png (347 KB, 743x330) Image search: [Google]
3473534-lukecagedancing.png
347 KB, 743x330
>>84330838
MCU isn't on Netflix, casuals are too retarded to stream/torrent. No one is going to spend that money.
>>
>>84331036
>MCU isn't on Netflix
Nigger, Iron Man 2 has been on there forever. Cap has been on there. Avengers has been on there.
>>
The OP doesn't get that many of the 'starter' films are made to be picked up on their own. Sure, if you know more you get more, but they don't have required backstory elements to them that necessitate watching other things.

Either that or people today are easily confused.

I mean, look at the first Star Wars movie -- you know what the audience knew before going in? NOTHING!

And some wished we didn't know a lot of what we know now.

But NONE of it is needed to watch the film itself. There is backstory, but you can figure out what's important pretty easily.
>>
>>84331007
>talking about casuals not doing a thing somehow makes you a casual
go ride your high horse some place else
>>
>>84331227
> look at the first Star Wars movie -- you know what the audience knew before going in? NOTHING!
It's more like going into the 3rd or 2nd movie of star wars
>>
>>84331445
Not really, no.
>>
>>84331497
That exactly what this is like.
>>
>>84331497
How the fuck is it not? We're on Civil War and if a person goes in knowing nothing, they would be confused.
>>
>>84330433
Eg not ex, FYI
>>
>>84331497
>Go watch Civil War
>Never watched all the Avengers.
>Never watched Antman
You know you denying that the MCU will die soon wont stop it from happening, right?
>>
>>84330198
>its so hard to watch movies that are readily available as opposed to out of print comics that are basically only sold via trades or floppies at worst.

Lyle is a cunt and so are you if you think binge watching is this arduous endeavor. People do it all the damn time now thanks to Netflix. This won't be changing soon.
>>
>>84330594
The MCU was in death support when TIH bombed. It was saved thanks to Disney but it took two years til both made The Avengers.
>>
>>84331636
>lyle
>not being a cunt
>>
>>84331651
I don't remember that hulk movie.
>>
>>84330198
>>84330479

I went to see Civil War with a friend of mine, who only told me AFTER the movie that he hadn't seen the 'last couple' Marvel movies.

I was surprised, and wondered how well he followed the movie. So I start trying to fill in any blanks he had, starting with "so what was the last Marvel movie you saw?"

Avengers 1.

He went directly from Avengers 1 to Civil War, skipping all of Phase 2. He didn't even see Winter Soldier.

I was aghast, but he said he still enjoyed the movie. There were some things he didn't get the full importance of, but the only real issue he had was 'so wait, where is SHIELD? Shouldn't they by overseeing the Avengers and negating this whole accords problem?'

But he went into it knowing that, because he was skipping a bunch of movies, he wasn't going to get all the references. And that was fine for him, because even without knowing the full backstory the movie worked well enough on its own that he still enjoyed it.

Its not how I would prefer someone to see the movie, but it seems pretty relevant to the discussion. For the casual audience, they don't actually mind missing out on some of the references as long as the whole movie doesn't hinge on them. The sort of people who care about completionism and knowing every detail would watch the MCU from the beginning anyway. Its a self-correcting problem.
>>
>>84330494
This.

The MCU is handling the characters better than the comic division, which is destroying characters with moronic retcons which then end up being retconned.
>>
>>84331561
>>84331634
Because I qualified the statement, you moron.

>>84331227
>many of the 'starter' films

I'm not talking about Captian America 3, Guardians II, or shit like that.

I'm talking about the 1s.

READ BEFORE RESPONDING.
>>
File: low q b8.jpg (17 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
low q b8.jpg
17 KB, 600x600
>>84334500
>avengers
>antman
>not the 1s
>>
>>84331972
I'm gonna be real here. While I casually follow comics and love Black Panther, I saw Civil War without having seen any of the captain America movies whatsoever. Or the Thor movies. I've seen ant-man and the avengers, but I also haven't seen Age of Ultron.

The movie was fine, and only mildly confusing. This was made up for by black panther.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.