[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help a DC fan learn more about Marvel.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: spadermin.jpg (442 KB, 1600x1078) Image search: [Google]
spadermin.jpg
442 KB, 1600x1078
I've read a lot of classic DC runs, and generally consider myself a DC fan. This isn't out of hate for Marvel so much as a tendency to have an easier time getting into DC stuff once I started. I've read a few Marvel things (Immortal Iron Fist, Mystique's solo comic, Morrison's X-Men run, Miller's Daredevil, that run where Pym comes back after he was replaced with a Skrull and then makes some new Avengers, and Priest's Black Panther are all that spring to mind) but don't know the backstories of the characters as well, or have as good of a feel for them. The universe feels foreign to me.

What Marvel should I read? I'm interested in learning more about Spider-Man, but also in whatever are considered the best Marvel comics of all time more generally.
>>
>>84328682

GOOD BENDIS
>Daredevil by Bendis/Maleev
>Ultimate Spider-Man
>Alias
>House of M (fuck y'all I like it)

EARLY ULTIMATE STUFF
>the first few runs of Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, the Ultimates (through the end of Ultimates 2), and the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy are all pretty dope

RANDOM RECS
>Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
>Marvel Knights Spider-Man by Millar/Dodson
>X-Factor by Peter David (old or new)
>Fantastic Four: 1234
>Nextwave
>Bryne's She-Hulk
>Brubaker's Captain America
>Superior Foes of Spider-Man
>Spider-Man: Reign
>Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
>Silver Surfer: Requiem
>Marvels
>Marvel Knights Punisher by Ennis/Dillon
>Punisher MAX (Ennis's run and Aaron's run)
>Hulk by Jones/Romita Jr.
>>
>>84328682
Read whatever Bendis is writing, those are best runs.
>>
>>84328871
Thank you. That should help me get a better feel for things.
>>84328883
Isn't he horrible at dialogue or something? I'd heard that.
>>
>>84328883
Ignore this troll, OP. Bendis has good runs, but he's a tier-one hack who churns out an almost unfathomable amount of shit
>>
>>84328682
>>84328871
Different anon here, try reading Remeder's Venom run if you like symbiotes. I also recommend the current Carnage.
>>
Don't read any, ANY, current Marvel
>>
File: Comin at ya.jpg (29 KB, 284x253) Image search: [Google]
Comin at ya.jpg
29 KB, 284x253
>>84328871
Some more quality recs for yo' ass:

>Fantastic Four by Byrne
>Ghost Rider by Aaron
>Wolverine: Enemy of the State by Millar/Romita Jr.
>Claremont's X-Men (enormous, soapy, and definitely an acquired taste, but hugely influential and a lot of fun if you're down to clown)
>Moon Knight by Huston (a guilty pleasure of mine many people hate)
>Moon Knight by Ellis (generally accepted as good)
>GLA: Disassembled by Slott (the funniest thing that man has ever or will ever write)
>Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
>Iron Man: Hypervelocity (another guilty pleasure, hardly feels like Iron Man but is absurdly fun and highly recommended)
>Simonson's Thor run
>Fantastic Four by Waid/Wieringo
>Fantastic Four by Millar/Hitch
>Dr. Strange: the Oath
>Fury: My War Gone By (MAX)
>Agents of Atlas (2006 mini)
>The Madrox: Multiple Choice Miniseries by Peter David and I forget, but the art was nice
>Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassidy
>Thunderbolts by Ellis/Deodato
>Cable & Deadpool
>Runaways
>>
>>84328682
Silver Surfer Vol. 2 (1980's run) issues 1-10
-wonderful storyline introducing the infinity gems and dipping your toes into both pools of Marvel earth and Marvel cosmic

Dr. Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment
-standalone story that tackles origins and interactions between a signature hero and villain in a very unique, serious magic adventure
>>
>>84329533
I second Silver Surfer V2
>>
>>84329341
Actually, when you have enough confidence with the characters, read Vision by King.
>>
>>84328894
>Isn't he horrible at dialogue or something? I'd heard that.
He has a very distinct dialogue style that was at one point fresh and interesting for being "naturalistic" as opposed to traditional comics dialogue but is now stale and boring.
>>
>>84329341
Ewings books are all pretty good. Ultimates is the best of the bunch and explores the cosmic structure of the current Marvel Universe. New Avengers is a lighthearted team of b and c listers with crazy shit like American Kaiju. Contest of Champions is the weakest but is still fun and features the best Punisher (2099)
>>
>2 hours
>noone mentioned Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-08-05-11-45-38.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-08-05-11-45-38.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
>>84328682
Beta Ray Bill: God Hunter
>>
>>84331938
Holy shit, that's pretty hardcore.
>>
>>84332043
Dude, that whole fucking comic is hard core and pure fucking cosmic metal. Highly recommended.
>>
>>84332226
Sweet, thanks.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.