[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the best era of capeshit comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: nadams1.jpg (62 KB, 400x598) Image search: [Google]
nadams1.jpg
62 KB, 400x598
and why is it the bronze age?
>>
>>84325197
ok why is it the bronze age?
>>
>>84325246
>the comics had a continuity but the storylines still had a clear begining and end.
>no forced social justice.
>no pandering to people that don't even read the comics.
>no replacing established heroes with muhnorities and women
>tge heroes acted like heroes
>mature storylines instead of pretending to make mature storylines with muh "edgyness" and muh gore
>>
>>84325197
It was a good combination of silver age creativity and modern sensibility

Plus the made the stories longer but not the 20 part multi tie in stuff we got now
>>
>>84325197
I read all of Batman: Second Chances and many of the stories in it comes off as very cheesy and low brow to me. I think the 90's weren't much better however. mid 200's- present are in many ways much better, in some ways worse (sjw pandering for example)

Pretty much nothing will ever beat Claremont's run on the X-men in the 70's and 80's however.
>>
>>84325197
the 90s
>>
>>84325534
>no forced social justice.
Explain Hard Travelling Heroes then
>>
>>84325534
>>no forced social justice.

>Look at this faggot who hasn't heard of Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Denny O'Neil
>Look at this faggot and laugh!
>>
The Bronze Age was the first time you really saw comic book fans coming into the industry. People who were proud to say they read and worked on the stuff. Comics were viewed as a trash medium by many of the people working on them in the Golden and Silver Age. The exceptions were people like Eisner, Caniff, Ditko, Kirby, Beck, etc

Fans coming into the industry was both the best and worst thing to happen to it
>>
>>84325197
Bronze is 70s to 80s, right? I'm shit with the naming.
>>
>>84327172
It's to the mid 80's. Bronze Age ends around the time Watchmen/Crisis on Infinite Earths/DKR came out
>>
>>84325809
>Judging the entire era off Starlin's Batman
>>
What age is now? Shit age?
>>
>>84327238
Modern Age
>>
>>84326838
>>84326860

Don't forget Englehart's Captain America.

>I don't like the current President so I'm going to make him a SUPER VILLAIN!

It's as bad as anything Marvel's publishing today.
>>
>>84327212
What happened after that?
>>
>>84327427
Yeah it was the Watergate Scandal, it was kind of a big deal

That's not even the point of that story. Cap loses faith in the country and abandons his title to become Nomad before realizing that one corrupt politician isn't something that should shake his faith in the country
>>
>>84327546
What some people call the "dark age." You know the whole grim and gritty thing
>>
>>84327238
Iron.
>>
>>84327546
Superman died, Batman's back was broken and he got replaced by a murdering psychopath, Deadpool and Cable hi-jinks, Spawn in general.
>>
>>84327238
age of SOCJUS
>>
>>84327652
Don't forget Hal Jordans home town getting nuked and him going crazy and decimating everything involved with the GLs
>>
>>84327749
Oh yeah, Hal Jordan was a villain. I blocked that out for some reason.
>>
>>84325197
Not going to say anything already said, just going to add.

> Comics were healthy but not tainted by speculators
> The Comics Code Authority wad being defied more and more
> Comics were written in a way that is appealing to kids, longtime fans, and not impenetrable to new readers
> Storytelling and characterization became more nuanced
>>
>>84327212
>>84327581
Ah, okay. I like Bronze age and Dark age.
>>
>>84326838
>>84327427
This is my hangup with current Marvel. They technically aren't doing anything different than comics did in the past. Their history vindicates their current decisions.

Yet there is definitely a feeling that it is all in the execution. Marvel is doing something wrong today that wasn't done then. The soul of it feels different, but what is it?
>>
>>84327885
A board of execs.

'89 was the year it all went to shit.
>>
>>84327885
They are changing the characters
>>
>>84327885
At least with Marvel, I think the success has gotten to their head. They've gotten to the point where they honestly believe the execution of the thing doesn't matter -- that quality itself is subjective/abstract and thus doesn't matter. Like, they have an internal formula (one part fight scenes, two parts outrage, one part diversity, one part characterization) that they apply to every single comic, and then they just slap writers/artists onto projects based on who sells or who critics will laud (the latter of which they don't care about and, thus, will have them ignore the writer's/artists' actual strengths).
>>
>>84327427

>I don't like what a comic book writer thinks of a President so I'm going to shit post and bitch about it
>>
>>84328492
>I don't like what a stranger on the internet thinks of a comic book writer so I'm going to shit post and bitch about it
Fuck off when all you have to say is 'ugh you don't like what this person made stop being such a baby' because there is zero substance to that

Nixon is literally the head of the Secret Empire, the top evil organization in Marvel at the time who all dress in KKK robes. This is cute and Nixon is in fact a piece of shit, but it's no different from making Trump into a HYDRA plant and using that as a plot point
>>
>>84328492
Well, if you're only there for Moon Knight and you're forced to deal with issues upon issues of FUCKING BUSH AMIRIGHT, it's gonna get old fast and generally be annoying.

Hell, even if you agree with the writer it can be annoying. I'm fucking tired of Trump jokes. I get it, you don't like him. I don't either. The world collectively has been shitting on his toupee for two decades now, it's fucking boring at this point. Move on.
>>
>>84328591
Didn't Deadpool already fight Trump?
>>
>>84328597
This. Iirc there was recently a week where both a marvel and dc title parodied the "make america great again" quote.
>>
>>84325534
>no forced social justice
LOL, instead of making a black lois lane, they literally turned her black.
>no pandering to people that don't read the comics
Women read, they just don't read super hero stuff, and a BUNCH of black people read comics but honestly they don't give a shit. They're mostly reading Xmen or something.
>>
>>84328801
>LOL, instead of making a black lois lane, they literally turned her black.

Wrong age friendo.
>>
>>84327885
It's the process of commodifying these issues and turning them into spectacle, selling identification with a cause rather than actual change. This is the difference between the leftism of the past and modern neo-liberalism, not some vague "degeneracy" that the alt-right touts. It's that capitalism and consumerism is treated as an arm of political causes, not its enemy. Going to a certain bank because they funded a gay pride parade is just as dumb as eating chick-fil-a for opposite reasons, but that's the way things are now.
This is what Morrison was warning about to an extent in Animal Man. People act as if Morrison's art is apolitical, but that's not really it, he was afraid that in turning his political concerns into a piece of art he was actually stunting its ability to affect the real world, hence ending his final monologue with a straight up physical address to PETA.
Marvel markets stuff. It's what they do. It's what Stan Lee did. And right now, in a world where a war criminal funded by wall street can present herself as a more left-wing candidate then a bonafide social democrat, and people believe her, this is what sells. People got up in arms when it turned out one of the people heading Marvel gave his money to Trump, but considering how insincere Marvel is in its belief in liberal or left-wing values, I wasn't shocked at all.
Comics in general have actually shifted rightwards as a whole from my perspective, in that economic issues have fallen to the wayside. Social and Cultural issues are a part of being left wing, but the latter is by no means able to replace the former
>>
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 800x775) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 800x775
>>84325534
>>
>>84327885
>Yet there is definitely a feeling that it is all in the execution
Englehart targeted the presidency, Starlin targeted Marvel editorial, Nick Spencer puts out " racists are bad" stories

Nothing about the latter is controversial or edgy
>>
>>84329691
You could easily rewrite that as an old (asian/mexican/insert non-white race here) and John Stewart as the lantern.
>>
File: image.png (549 KB, 665x505) Image search: [Google]
image.png
549 KB, 665x505
There's really good things from all ages of comics?
>>
The "sjw" stuff in Bronze Age was done a lot less than it is now .
>>
>>84329769
you could, but it would be stupid.
>>
File: gl29-2.jpg (96 KB, 620x604) Image search: [Google]
gl29-2.jpg
96 KB, 620x604
>>84329691
and then Gerard Jones poking some fun at this
>>
>>84330544
There was also far more to the Bronze Age than political stuff. I'm reading a lot of Steve Gerber stuff and loving it.

This age however is tainted by excessive pandering at Marvel. DC at least seems to be returning to Bronze Age sensibilities with Rebirth.
>>
>>84331033
Based
>>
>>84325534
Did you even READ comics in the 70s?

They fucking invented the minority legacy hero
>>
>>84329789
I loved this part of Ultra.
I saved you, I will save you, I failed to save you, I'm not interested in saving you.
>>
>>84331117
they didn't replace established heroes with minorities.
there wasen't a black Captain america, Iron man or a female thor
>>
>>84331181
John replaced Hal as the main GL when he quit pretty early in the 80's.

Also
>there wasn't a black Iron Man
Nigger, Rhodey was Iron Man for a while.
>>
>>84327797
>> Comics were healthy but not tainted by speculators

AHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Read up about what happened with DC's Shazam #1. Speculation was ALWAYS around. It's just that it got worse in the 90's.
>>
>>84325534
lol, a majority of your list is just REEEEEtumblr
>>
>>84331117
>>84331181
There was a female Latina wildcat and a female Japanese Dr Light and a female Russian Negative Woman but that was COIE so you could place that in the Iron Age depending on how you cut your dates.

You had a lot of minority characters particularly in X-men but they were their own characters.

The closet parallel to a modern race lift I can think of from the Bronze Age would be when Rhodey took over as Iron Man as awhile, but that was an organic progression of the character not at all like Riri (still can't believe that's her name)
>>
>>84325197
Silver age was most iconic and fun, even if it was campy.
>>
>>84331181
>there wasen't a black Iron man

Either you never read comics until the 10's or you're someone from /tv/ who never read comics at all.

How the fuck did you think Rhodey became War Machine? He was a major Iron Man supporting cast member in the 80's and 90's who replaced Tony twice. First time when Tony was too drunk to function, second was when Tony was believed dead.
>>
>>84331346
>>84331245
sorry i don't read that much marvel
>>
>>84331344
I still unironically like Gardner Fox justice league. It's just so fun and creative.

>>84331245
This is probably the closest to the modern race lift. It's a bit more mild though. Green Lantern was a job position, not a personal legacy or name.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.