[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The pilot was so good. What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
File: thundercats3.jpg (956 KB, 1238x801) Image search: [Google]
thundercats3.jpg
956 KB, 1238x801
The pilot was so good. What went wrong?
>>
>>84316509
No sodomy.
>>
>>84316509
Different writers.
>>
You're gonna see a bunch of posts about "the writer" (who nobody can ever name) being replaced. It's not true.

The pilot's honestly not vastly different from the rest of the series. It's possible you just...didn't like the rest.
>>
Cucking and shitting on Lion-o. By the time that shit ended, people lost interest.
>>
There wasn't any sodomy.
>>
The writers pointlessly hated Lion-O to the degree of where it didn't come off as trying to teach him a lesson, but rather they just wanted a punching bag.

It didn't help that they seemingly had a hard on for Tygra.
>>
>>84316509

I wanna say there's some huge complex reason, but this >>84316543 is it.

They fired the guys that wrote the pilot and got a new writing staff. The new crew had no idea what the fuck they were doing beyond sucking Tygra's dick.

Ironically, the best non-pilot episodes were worked on by Will Friedle.
>>
You know you failed as a writer when your most competent female character is "fucking" Wilykit.
>>
There should have been at least some sodomy.
>>
>>84316567
It is 100% fact that the writer who wrote the pilot did not write any of the other episodes.

What specifically was wrong with the later writing was the characterization. Lion-O and Tygra kept switching personalities, Panthro and the kids had one-note personalities, and Cheetara had none.
>>
Not a single anus was penetrated.
>>
>>84316567
>You're gonna see a bunch of posts about "the writer" (who nobody can ever name) being replaced. It's not true.
His name is Michael Jelenic and it is absolutely true.
>>
File: 1461282895369.jpg (63 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
1461282895369.jpg
63 KB, 500x407
>>84316509
Too much talking, not enough of anything really interesting happening.
>>
>>84316661
Isn't he the same guy behind Teen Titans Go?
>>
>>84316671
Like sodomy for instance.
>>
>>84316679
One of them. He was also one of the main writers for Batman: Brave and the Bold.
>>
>>84316543

Right, see, like this retard right here.

Most people who love only the pilot (for whatever reason) seem to emphasize the fact the writer on it was the best ever possible.

But if you research and you're not a dumb baby faggot, you'd notice the only writing credit unique to the pilot episode is Michael Jelenic (head writer of Brave and the Bold, currently head writing Teen Titans Go). So /co/'s spent years fetishizing the writing of a single episode done by the guy who head wrote and story edited their favorite AND least favorite show.

But if you look further in interviews around when the show came out, Jelenic describes being part of the process of arcing out the entire season (and having a finite arc planned for the series as a whole), so he was never really "replaced"...like, say, a Gargoyles-era Greg Weisman, he tended to take final passes on finished scripts. Most showrunners do this, from animated to live action television. You're often hearing the head writer or creator's words even if their name isn't credited as the writer of that specific episode.

This is all secondary to the fact that the OTHER name on the pilot, Todd Casey, is a recurring writer on the show and was never replaced at any point.

Even the most illiterate, autistic faggot would be able to figure out there's no real replacement that ever went on. I was there during the original threads when the show aired, it started as a vague suspicion of someone just HAVING to be replaced because the pilot was the only good episode (which is also a lie, at the time, /co/ ADORED Song of the Petalars) and it slowly mutated into an actual fact.

If Michael Jelenic was describing the ENTIRE ARC of the show (up to the point where he hints about their drastic reinvention of Pumyra before the show even premiered in interviews), he was not replaced.
>>
>>84316788
>seem to emphasize the fact the writer on it was the best ever possible.
No, they seem to think that he just did a really good job.

A writer making something you don't like doesn't mean you automatically have to dislike everything they're ever written, and vice versa. Though I'm not even one of the people who hates TTG.

The problem with the show had nothing to do with it's long-term arcs and everything to do with how the characters were written in any individual episode.
>>
>>84316509
the writing was really bad, it started off reasonably but it quickly went down hill

Its been a while but two examples that stick out in my mind, were firstly the entire Panther Tank made no sense, the Thundercats came from a society that didn't believe in tech and Panthro randomly found a tank, its never explained where or how he got it, and figured out how to operate it, that's some bullshit right there

another one that comes to mind was an episode called the Duelist or something, where Lion-o gets taught a lesson about how the skill of the swordsman is more important than the sword itself, expect the episode is written terribly and makes no sense because Lion-o loses his sword to a duelist who takes advantage of people who think they are good because they have a good sword by just being better than them so Lion-o learns to become a better swordsman than him in like two days by learning to make swords or something idk it made no fucking sense and didn't actually manage to teach anything although I'm pretty sure they were trying to teach the whole "what power does the sword have compared to the hand that wields it" lesson.
>>
>>84316509
Writers wanted to Glorify Tigra and Cartoon Network seems to hate Action Focused shows.
>>
>>84316788

Ran out of space, but y'know, he was joking about Panthro's death being permanent in panel, during panels where trailers were being debuted so clearly they had more than a single episode done. There's no conceivable way he was replaced. The timeline wouldn't add up if you looked at it for more than two seconds. He was producing through the entire season, always discussing the upcoming season as a WHOLE, not just based on the pilot. You guys have fetishized a single writing credit without actually understanding credits or the context behind them.

I know this is a specific pet peeve and DUR HUR AUTISM is coming my way (and I threw it around too, so I deserve it), but this comes up every time and it's such a dumb, random justification. It's entirely possible that the pilot was a stock fantasy plot with stock characters (much as I like it, that's what it was) and most of you faggots just didn't like what they had planned for it. It's really NOT that different from the rest of the show.
>>
>>84316788
>(which is also a lie, at the time, /co/ ADORED Song of the Petalars)
It doesn't get brought up because it's easier to make the broad statement "Only the pilot was good" than "Only the pilot and a few bits here and there were good".

The pilot literally was more well-written than the other episodes. The characters had clear motivations, interests, and attitudes that were kept consistent through the story.
>>
>>84316927

And if someone thinks that was the show's problem, that's fine. That's a valid complaint.

But it gets fucking stupid when there's no proof Jelenic was replaced (and literally everything in reality suggests otherwise). Why are people so eager to shit on Jelenic for his writing on TTG but cannot conceive the fact he just didn't write the characters to their satisfaction on Thundercats?
>>
>>84316983
He literally didn't write any of the shitty parts of Thundercats. He only wrote the pilot (which was good) and helped plan out some of the main plot beats (which weren't the problem).
>>
>>84316509
it was too good. wasnt based on selling merchandise this time around.

Kids now prefer shows that have collectable shit
>>
>>84316509
Lion-O was renamed Cuck-O and had a story line to fit.
>>
>>84316567

You are fucking stupid if you believe that.
>>
>>84316509
can we stop having this thread and talk about the good things instead?
>>
>>84317189
>Cuck-O
Replacing parts of names with the word cuck will never not be funny to me.
>>
>>84316523
>>84316593
>>84316628
>>84316655
>>84316691

This
>>
>>84316509
This >>84316543 and >>84316623

The Tygra dicksucking is worse than I remember, some plots that should have been Lion-o plots were straight up stolen for Tygra.

And that's not getting started on Pumyra.
>>
File: Wilykit and kat cutepaws.gif (497 KB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
Wilykit and kat cutepaws.gif
497 KB, 245x138
hey /co/ remember us? remember how we made the show good?
let's remember the good times.
>>
Why do you guys presume the writers had such a stiffy for Tygra?

Also for me the pacing went to shit after the pilot. I don't know what that was about.
>>
>>84317602
iunno dude most of what i saw in the show was shitting on tygra.
>>
>>84317590
I mean they were pretty much the only characters that were improved by the reboot, everyone else was worse for it
>>
>>84317719
literally anything is an improvement over the originals, so... no. you are wrong.
in fact i was really impressed with what they did with mumm-ra's generals. those fuckers got PERSONALITY. except slythe.
>>
>>84317719
They also improved Snarf by making him never talk.
>>
>>84317742
oh right, Snarf was adorable in this show
>>
>>84316950
You're basically making the same argument you're arguing against, fetishizing a single credit. Jelenic was a producer with a single writing credit. While as an EP he obviously would have a hand in crafting the major plot points throughout the season, he wouldn't necessarily have any input on the development or writing of the individual episodes outside of the general plots.

And at the time /co/ considered the first three episodes good.
>>
>>84316788
So which writer was the Tygra fanboy?
>>
>>84317602
Tygra was stronger, smarter, more capable, and got the girl.

On a base level, there's nothing wrong with having a rival character that the protagonist has to grow to overcome, but Lion-O repeatedly just kept getting shat on, and never got a chance to improve.

I mean in 26 episodes he lost out on two relationships to women, one to his brother, and another to fucking Mumm-Ra. Jesus. There was that episode where he died too. Plus, his teammates over the course of the series, felt like they actually grew to respect him /less/. There were some episodes where they basically just talked down to him, and treated him like an idiot.

It was like the guy just could not get a break, and not in an endearing way. I just felt sorry for him. Even his dad died without respecting him.
>>
>>84318284
>and another to fucking Mumm-Ra

Can I just emphasize that again? Pumyra chose a dead man over Lion-O.

Cucked from beyond the grave.
>>
File: Thundercat Fixes- 1.png (339 KB, 2250x732) Image search: [Google]
Thundercat Fixes- 1.png
339 KB, 2250x732
>>
File: Thundercats Fixes- 2.png (258 KB, 2248x466) Image search: [Google]
Thundercats Fixes- 2.png
258 KB, 2248x466
>>
File: Thundercats Fixes- 3.png (285 KB, 1546x552) Image search: [Google]
Thundercats Fixes- 3.png
285 KB, 1546x552
>>
File: Thundercat Fixes-4.png (203 KB, 2248x400) Image search: [Google]
Thundercat Fixes-4.png
203 KB, 2248x400
>>
>>84316509
I dropped it whent they turned into fighting robots. That was just painful
>>
File: 1434641522645.png (198 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1434641522645.png
198 KB, 900x900
TL;DR version. The plot felt like it desperately wanted to go somewhere but never delivered, giving off a constant feeling of being let down after each episode. Doesn't matter if the writers changed or not. Fact remains the plot promised progression but delivered "everything resets by next episode" style storytelling.

Lion-O constantly had character growth teased, and by next episode it was as if it never happened. Being cucked and shown up constantly would have been fine if he ever learned from it or did anything about it. Hell, have him leave permanently and make Tygra the new leader because that's obviously what the writers fucking wanted. Do fucking SOMETHING. By comparison, other characters never got repercussions for their actions. The show never progressed towards trying to rebuild their society. No real connection with anyone they helped felt like it mattered. Nothing felt like it was gained nor lost. Character traits never went anywhere for anyone. When the plot suddenly did a break neck jolt in to happening, the characters felt like they didn't belong in their own show because the were not prepared by their own journies that taught them lessons but somehow didn't change them.

The pilot felt like it promised a progression towards certain goals, but what we got was Saturday Morning Reset Plot. When it finally tried to do something, the characters were too immature to carry it.
>>
I do have to say that this reboot's Mumm-Ra was absolutely fucking awesome from start to finish. I really wanted to learn his backstory.
>>
File: Panthera_leo_theft.jpg (75 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Panthera_leo_theft.jpg
75 KB, 640x360
Can we get back to discussing Panthera, the forgotten waifu?
>>
>>84320404
Damn, she was tall as fuck.
>>
>>84318954
>Hell, have him leave permanently and make Tygra the new leader because that's obviously what the writers fucking wanted

I feel like this is one of those shows where if the villain pulled a "join me, and we could rule together" moment with Lion-O, there'd be a legit reason for him to take pause.

I mean most of the other cats are dead, right? The remaining ones are assholes. Why not take a high position under Mumm-Ra? Revenge? That's like the only thing I can really think of.
>>
>>84316509
But the pilot was terrible. Like retarded fanfiction tier writing.
>>
>>84320697
>I mean most of the other cats are dead, right?
Supposedly.

The pilot had that feeling where they'd try to rebuild their people, but as the show progressed it heavily implied literally all the cats were dead except the main cast. If that's true, there's no reason not to join Mumm-Ra. Not even out of revenge. Even the remaining cats don't want anything to do with you, and even if they did your entire species is one lifetime away from being extinct completely.
>>
>>84320697
Then they'd just have Tygra beat him and take the sword of omens for himself or some shit.
>>
File: 1431491465413.png (142 KB, 1051x316) Image search: [Google]
1431491465413.png
142 KB, 1051x316
>>84316567

>The pilot's honestly not vastly different from the rest of the series.

It's drastically different, actually.
>>
File: 1322461167945.gif (300 KB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
1322461167945.gif
300 KB, 533x300
>>84317590
>remember how we made the show good?

I do not.
>>
>>84321088
I know it's supposed to be a kid show, but the fact that they completely dodged the aspect of the cats dying, and that the remaining ones were the last of their kind, was really fucking dumb.

Why not go for just enslaving them? It's the old standby when you can't kill, and it would give the cast something to fight for.
>>
>>84321494
They should have said a lot of them simply escaped and scattered.. which is the basic assumption you can have after watching the pilot. It sets up a VERY EASY to implement progressing plotline where Lion-O finds and directs pockets of former Thundarians. Gaining their trust and sending them somewhere to wait and gather again. They don't even have to be complex personalities. Just them existing adds some sense of forward movement in the plot. Really easy to write and establishes Lion-O's legitimacy as a good ruler rather than 'the guy who leads even after Tygra bullied leadership away from him because the plot says we have to let him lead'.

Going "nah all dead" was so extraordinarily stupid.
>>
>>84316788
>you'd notice the only writing credit unique to the pilot episode is Michael Jelenic
>unique to the pilot episode is Michael Jelenic
You are literally defeating your own argument
>>
>>84321618
>Jelenic
>Jellicle
???????????
>>
>>84318380

This had me laughing and raging at the.same time. Poor Lion-O
>>
>I need to stick with him
>>
Also the toys where made by Bandai.
US Bandai.

So it was doomed from the start...
>>
>>84324314
These are sold here in Brazil for like 5 bucks now.
>>
>>84316788
>"Song of the Petalars"
Fun fact, it's written by motherfucking DeMatteis.
>>
>>84320140
I got disappointed as soon as he started walking around during daylight and turning into his big Hulk mode whenever he wanted.
>>
>>84325424
Lucky, they did not even make it to Euro as for as I know.
And with CN being all about the toy sales that cant have help.
>>
>>84318395
>>84318401
>>84318417
>>84318429

Your "fixes" (and I can only assume they're yours, no one else would cap something so shitty except the faggot who wrote it) actually make the show blander.

"Make the personalities weaker and less distinct". "Remove any antagonism between the characters." "Insert my shitty fanfiction into the plots."

God /co/ sucks.
>>
>>84320697
>>84321088
>>84321494
>>84321584
Actually, a bunch of the cats did survive the attack; there was an episode where Lion-O and co. found out that some literal rat-bastard had enslaved a bunch of the survivors to mine for him, end of the episode the cats are rescued and Mumm-Ra's weapon was unearthed.
>>
>>84326774
This.
>>
>>84316509
The plant people episode killed my interest.
>>
>>84321340
>Final episode of Avatar the last Airbender
>doesn't insult the audience

Who's been fucking with my medicine?
>>
too many fluff episodes that didnt effect the overall plot and ultimately didnt matter

not enough MUMM RA
>>
Not enough action, I agree with most people here. The animation was pretty fucking good from what I remember though, and having watched through all of the original Thundercats I was pretty pumped for it. I wasn't too let down, but it's true that it moved slowly.
>>
>>84330758

I wonder if shortening the season might have been better

Looking at the new Voltron cartoon I feel like action cartoons today might just do better with a tight focused season

Although it didn't help Korra, so maybe it's just down to the showrunners
>>
>>84330518
>not enough MUMM RA
If they had more MUMM RA, what do you think they would have done with him?
>>
>>84316509
Pilot and flash back episode were Lion-o got it on with his great great great grandma was the best
>>
>>84321618
He's talking about how the writer of the pilot wasn't chased off, and in fact, may be responsible for the shitty ideas everyone hates.
>>
>>84320404
If the show didn't get canned I would have loved to see more epsiodes about them two fucking alien shit up and starting their rebellion
>>
File: thundahcats are loose.png (100 KB, 1003x1294) Image search: [Google]
thundahcats are loose.png
100 KB, 1003x1294
>>
>>84316623
>The new crew had no idea what the fuck they were doing beyond sucking Tygra's dick.
I thought Tygra was a virtual non-entity for most of the first season though?
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.