[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this series any good? I never see it talked about on /co/,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: mgadd.jpg (263 KB, 842x1280) Image search: [Google]
mgadd.jpg
263 KB, 842x1280
Is this series any good? I never see it talked about on /co/, either positively or with the bile reserved for Squirrel Girl/Hellcat/Thor/Mockingbird/Captain Marvel/pretty much every other female led title actually.
It looks cute. Worth checking out?
>>
> Worth checking out?

read an issue then come back and tell us
>>
>>84295718
Pretty unremarkable.
>>
>>84295758
don't listen to this guy, he has terrible taste
>>
>>84295718
I read like 2 issues and thought it was so boring that I didn't see the point in reading any more. It doesn't help that it's not storytimed here.

It's just not for me. Maybe the comic has an audience, but I'm not part of it.
>>
>>84295718
It's okay. Has the same feel and tone of a lot of other modern Marvel stuff, but without all the preachy nonsense most of the other books are stuck with.
>>
>>84296038
>who is the anon who puts "story time" in the subject line everytime he storytimes
>>
>>84296059
Huh what?
>>
>>84295718
Nah
>>
>>84296059
Who me?
>>
>>84295718

I read an issue and couldn't be bothered to keep up with it.
>>
>>84295718
It's good. PoC legacy quirky heroine with fun adventures, what's not to love?
>>
>>84295718
Well, Squirrel Girl and Hellcat are poorly written and even more poorly drawn. They are trash.

Thor and Mockingbird are both written as some strange parody of the feminist agenda. At least the art is good and the writers kinda care. They're okay.

Captain Marvel is pretty good and if they got a more dynamic artist it'd be great.

Moon Girl has plenty of personality, but the character isn't very likeable and the writer really hasn't done much to make you invested in Lunella as a character. She's too sarcastic, she has no friends, no real enemies, and most of the plot is situational humor with her and DD.
None of the book seems sustainable. I'm waiting for it to fail.
>>
>>84295758
From what I've heard, this is pretty much the case. If this had been the first time that Marvel had replaced a protagonist with a "check off three of more off this list of minority qualifications" character more people would be upset, but nobody really cared about Moon Boy to begin with and the comic's not otherwise good or bad enough to make someone care.

Frankly, I expect much more of an eyeroll when supergenius black girl War Machine becomes an reoccurring character.

Marvel's gonna Marvel.
>>
Its cute. Pretty much it. Luna is hard to deal with at times because she is literally a high functioning autist. But the art and the Wild boys (can't remember their names) are what made it fun. Its been story timed on /co/ quite abit but every time it happens it devolves into shitposting
>>
>>84295718
It's fine
>>
>>84295718
I wasn't a huge fan
It was kinda boring and the characters don't really do anything interesting
>>
>>84296135
>PoC legacy quirky heroine

yeah changing a monkey character into a little African American girl isn't remotely racist
>>
>>84295718
It's got a calm and cutsey charm to it. If you want a bratty smart girl having cute adventures with a giant dinosaur, well here you go.
>>
>>84295718
It's alright. A decent all-ages book with some fun moments (like every scene with the killer-folk) but it's largely unremarkable. If you're in the mood for "kid and her dinosaur get into antics" then it should be right up your alley.
>>
>>84295718
> Squirrel Girl/Hellcat/Thor/Mockingbird/Captain Marvel/pretty much every other female led title actually
ANAD Captain Marvel has been good so far. Your memes are out of date.
>>
>>84297544
He says talked about on /co/ right in that same post you quoted
>>
>>84297565
But /co/ mentions the new Captain Marvel run being surprisingly good pretty often. He says those are the ones that are explicitly called out as being bad around here, but that isn't the case for Captain Marvel since KSD left. All the storytimes have been pretty positive for it.
>>
File: CYOOT.png (2 MB, 994x1528) Image search: [Google]
CYOOT.png
2 MB, 994x1528
>>84295718
Moon Girl is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>84296707
It's not.
Do you people even know what racism is?
>>
I like it OP. I'm waiting for something interesting to happen, but so far I've liked Luna as a character and her interactions with DD.

It's a nice book that I'd definitely give to like a younger cousin or something.
>>
>>84298239
It's possible that it's not intentional but that whole thing is so racist that /pol/ had an orgasm when she was announced.
Marvel should have thought twice about having a black person be called Moon anything for the same reason you shouldn't try to have a black bucky.
>>
>>84298671
It's really not racist.
>>
>>84295718

I'd describe the book as "comfy." It's about a girl and her pet dinosaur getting into humorous antics in the modern-day world, but that's about all it is.

It reminds me of those old 80s and 90s kids movies where the crux of the humor revolves around a kid, who nobody understands, connecting with some crazy out-of-this-world animal, and they decide to keep it as a pet and shenanigans ensue.
>>
>>84298239
Black Character called MOON girl
Black character used to be a monkey now a black girl
Blacks were compared to monkeys for decades by racists.

it is TOTALLY RACIST
>>
>>84298800
It's not racist.
>>
File: 1450895769167.jpg (255 KB, 925x1336) Image search: [Google]
1450895769167.jpg
255 KB, 925x1336
Well I'm still skimming through each new issue despite not giving a fuck about Moon Boy or Inhumans so it's doing something right I guess.
>>
>>84298827
You have the evidence spelled out for you. Maybe not racist but it has
>implications
>>
>>84299228
Implications only a racist would see
>>
File: 250px-Devildino.jpg (48 KB, 250x384) Image search: [Google]
250px-Devildino.jpg
48 KB, 250x384
I don't like how they turned "berserk, but if guts was a t rex" that had crazy shit like ancient aliens and biblical ai and a dude that just fucking stands in front of an erupting volcano o like a bad ass and MOTHERFUCKING THUNDERHORN, and turned it into cutesy shit.
>>
>>84299257
>Implications only a racist would see

Stop whitesplaining it is racist as hell
You haven't had Moon and Monkey comments made about you
>>
>>84299713
And it had shit like this too.

Seriously, OG devil dinosaur was fucking radical, and actually had shit to say.
>>
>>84299257
>>84299765
Implications that Marvel should be aware of when they create characters. Now you're just saying "oh you're the racist one for seeing it that way". Maybe you don't "see color" but people who aren't white don't get to forget about it or the insults used against them.
>>
>>84299784
>and actually had shit to say.
?
>>
File: invim2015-promo-188943.jpg (234 KB, 655x995) Image search: [Google]
invim2015-promo-188943.jpg
234 KB, 655x995
>>84296370
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/07/06/marvels-new-iron-man-is-a-15-year-old-black-woman/

>pulling another Ms. Marvel in 2016
replacing another white male hero with a minority
Black people are 12% of the US population, with women being roughly half of that, or 6%. Of that six percent, how many of them can read? Of of those that can read, how many of them are reading comics, and not just Zane or other trashy urban romance novellas?less that 1%? Great demographic to pander to Marvel, all those nigress readers are gonna switch from Devil Dinosaur onto Iron (Strong Black Wo) Man. Great idea. Great marketing. Right up there with Miles Morales and Whor.

>fitting that nappy afro under power armor helmet
>>
>>84299784
Kirby does it again!
>>
>>84301330
>Of that six percent, how many of them can read?
That sounds rather racist
How bad is the american education system to even ask that?
>>
>>84301330
Reading comics is about as much of a black thing as liking shounen and dragon Ball Z.
>>84301569
We all know it's goddamn awful.
>>
>>84301330
The problem of your reasoning is that it implies that people can only read and appreciate series because the protagonist has their same color/sex/background/whatever, instead of just because they are good stories
The example you yourself used, Ms. Marvel, shows that you can like a series even if you're not a pakistani girl
>>
>>84299820
>Implications that Marvel should be aware of when they create characters. Now you're just saying "oh you're the racist one for seeing it that way".

Exactly!
having a monkey character replaced by a black girl then also keeping the name MOON girl is insensitive at best pure racism at it's worst.
>>
>>84301569
>That sounds rather racist

Back in the early 70's it became racist to fail black students, so public schools just scuffle them through with out giving a fuck if they learn anything.
Illiteracy among adult blacks is staggering, most black high school graduates can barely read at a third grade level.

Sad but true
>>
>>84299765
>whitesplaining
Nigga I am black as fuck
>>
>>84302438
then why can't black women like Iron Man as a white guy instead of changing him to match? There are pre-existing black female marvel characters that are basically ignored because no one cared.
>>
>>84304169
>why can't black women

Do you honestly think any black woman is responsible for this decision?
>>
>>84301569
Its actually remarkably bad. Until recently kids didn't even learn the same things state to state so kids would just be stupider in other places. Now common core is a thing and kids all have to be on the same level and people make jokes about it cause they don't know what it is
>>
>>84304414
The way common core forces teachers how to teach is garbage. Standardized testing has always been terrible and isn't conducive to actual learning.
>>
>>84304414
>Now common core is a thing
you are behind the times, familia.
>>
>>84299784
Damn I love cosmic Kirby.
>>
>>84302765
It's so fucked up but very true. In Illinois, my dad had to take a short test to identify road signs. They accidentally gave him one for black people that had the identifiers still on the signs instead of just their shape and color. I believe he got it because of our traditionally black last name.

More times than not, blacks fail so much that failure becomes racist and the bar gets lowered and lowered until it means nothing and the ones that try to succeed are labeled as sell-outs and Uncle Toms/Miss Anns. It's disgusting.

Black-American parents should take a note from Chinese-American parents. It doesn't matter how dumb you are, beat the dogshit out of your kids until they do better in school.
>>
>>84299106
>Erika Henderson family reunion
>>
>>84298800
I'm surprised no one calls her Moon Cricket Girl.
>>
File: 1393215696356.jpg (47 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1393215696356.jpg
47 KB, 645x773
>>84306896
>They accidentally gave him one for black people
wat

that's a thing?
>>
Was just about to pick this up since I love their Rocket Girl run.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.