[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did they turn Ratchet into Kup in Animated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-07-05.png (812 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-05.png
812 KB, 1366x768
why did they turn Ratchet into Kup in Animated?
>>
File: Ratchet yells at WALL-E.jpg (369 KB, 534x1500) Image search: [Google]
Ratchet yells at WALL-E.jpg
369 KB, 534x1500
>>
>>84292487
Why not? I liked grumpy fat war vet Ratchet. Animated had such good designs.

And the toys. Oh my god, the toys were nothing short of incredible. I still have my Optimus and Rodimus somewhere. Really wish I'd held onto the rest. 2008-2010 was like the pinnacle of Transformers engineering.
>>
>>84292589
ehh, i'm not feeling it, but it definitely makes sense since they're both grizzled war dogs
>>
>>84292679
It's not like I'd have minded if they called him Kup instead but calling him Ratchet isn't enough to make me dislike an entertaining character either. At this point Transformers has seen so many iterations that I expect them to change things around.

In fact I also really liked young Optimus. He and Primal are probably my favorite depictions. G1 aside of course.
>>
File: 20150928_185704.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20150928_185704.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>84292755
wait, G1 was actually good? I've only seen him from the movie, only because aparently the show was just long toy commercials. I also loved Primal
>>
File: MICHAELBAYSPLOOSIOOOON.jpg (152 KB, 776x1080) Image search: [Google]
MICHAELBAYSPLOOSIOOOON.jpg
152 KB, 776x1080
>>84292487
War vet grumps are easy enough to write about, plus it was a year after the 2007 movie.
>>
>>84292815
I mean it's doofy as hell most of the time but you gotta respect the classics to some degree. Optimus comes off as like a giant robot dad. Good performance in his brief movie screen time as well.

It's certainly the best animated Cullen Prime IMO. Prime Prime was such a stiff.
>>
>>84292815
Also I don't know if you're aware but David Kaye, the voice of BW Megatron, so voices Optimus in Animated. He totally kills both roles.
>>
>>84292755
I loved how in Animated, Optimus was Rodimus, Rodimus was Ultra Magnus, and Ultra Magnus was Optimus.
>>
>>84292487
Because he was originally Kup but Hasbro told the writers to make it Ratchet since he was in the movie at the time.
>>
>>84293060
Something similar happened with Bumblebee/Hot Shot right?
>>
Eh
>>
>>84293060

actually it was a (female) Red Alert.

Bulklhead was going to be the old guy.
>>
>>84292815
Do you like 80s cartoons? Yes. No? No.
>>
>>84292487
I really love what they did with him there. Kup may be a war vet, but more in the way of being an experienced soldier who has no problem going in guns blazing if the situation calls for it. Animated Ratchet has the same grumpy personality, but it's more because of his PTSD. He despises violence, partly due to being a medic, but also because of all the shit he's seen, and yet he constantly finds himself in the middle of it. It's a lot more realistic than a generic action movie character who's constantly surrounded by death and destruction and yet remains completely unfazed by any of it.

I dunno, that just made him really sympathetic to me. Actually, now that I think about it, Animated as a whole was a lot deeper and character-driven (relatively speaking) than what I was expecting when it was first announced.
>>
>>84292487
Ratchet has always been the grumpy old guy. Kup was his replacement after getting killed in the movie.
>>
>>84292998
I have to greatly disagree with this. Especially with Rodimus, considering he came in the show for a grand total of like 45 seconds.
>>
The original draft for TFA by Hasbro's internal staff, TRANSFORMERS HEROES, had a war-vet archetype planned from day one. That eventually became Red Alert after the Armada trilogy character (TFA Ratchet's head design, according to Derrick, is a leftover from that production stage it's slightly based on the Alternators Red Alert boxart he had in his room).

He eventually became Ratchet because the movie was coming on and the staff begged Hasbro to let him be Ratchet because of the movie (actualy because they were g1-fans but used the movie as excuse for their request).
>>
>>84297671
False. G1 Ratchet was always more like a MASH character than anything else. The 'grumpy asshole doctor' part of his personality was always a creation of the fandom and wasn't fully realized until Animated and Prime.
>>
>>84298102
>He eventually became Ratchet because the movie was coming on and the staff begged Hasbro to let him be Ratchet because of the movie (actualy because they were g1-fans but used the movie as excuse for their request).
Really? Was this true of Hot Shot/Bumblebee too? I always heard it was the other way around, that Hasbro requested they change the characters for movie synergy.
>>
>>84292487
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kup_(Animated)
>>
>>84292487
dunno
>>
>>84292815
It's goofy but fun. It's still the best version of Optimus, because every scene he has is great. Lately they make him obnoxiously stoic or violent, whereas class OP was both compassionate and strong. One minute he would try to learn how to have fun like play basketball with his troops, then he'd be back at kicking ass and shit talking Megatron.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.