[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think, if Avatar the Last Airbender was brand new and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 15
File: zutara.jpg (90 KB, 1179x964) Image search: [Google]
zutara.jpg
90 KB, 1179x964
Do you think, if Avatar the Last Airbender was brand new and airing right now, that this ship would have gotten the infamy and psychotic fandom around it, or just have remained another crack ship?

I mean, the context that built the Zutara fandom into what it was doesn't really exist anymore. Young girl's fiction has moved onto empowerment shit like Hunger Games and... and Hunger Games, livejournal and Twilight are out of the public eye, and most ships are now about spiraling into virtue signaling. Commentary's now more dispersed, there's no focal points of fandom, and vlogs have given way to reblogs.

The brooding scarred boy and the brown girl doesn't seem like it would have caught the same fire it did all those years ago.
>>
>>84260884
Maybe not, maybe Katara and Toph or Aang and Zuko would be the crack ship with most momentum because some LGBT activist starts a twitter campaign that gets a few shares and it blown up into a faux story in the media.
>>
>>84261036
I was thinking that too. Gay ships get pushed to hell instead.
>>
>>84261036
>>84260884
A man could only dream, we'd finally get the Tyzula pairing everybody *cough* has been waiting for. Sadly LGBT pandering wasn't en vogue by the time ATLA was being written
>>
File: 1373067991337.png (460 KB, 1079x946) Image search: [Google]
1373067991337.png
460 KB, 1079x946
>>84261301
How could I forget Tyzula, probably the only good gay couple you could come up with from the original cast.
>>
>>84260884
>>I mean, the context that built the Zutara fandom into what it was doesn't really exist anymore. Young girl's fiction has moved onto empowerment shit like Hunger Games
Are you aware that hunger games romance is a lot similar to what zutara was?
>>
>>84261355
Was there a romance plot? I haven't read those books, I just heard there was a lot less of Bella Swan antic bullshit of swooning over brooding stalkers.
>>
What was it about this crack ship that attracted so many nut-jobs?
>>
>>84261416
There is something similar to a romance, where she falls in love with her hunger games partner, that then gets brainwashed but then he is rescued and fall in love at the end.
And yeah, the whole "bad boy who is actually a good guy deep inside his heart falls in love with female character who tries to change him somehow" cliché is as strong as ever.
>>
>>84261350
>Sokka/Zuko
>>
>>84261531
The bald is repellent. Girls had no one else to ship their fav with.
>>
>>84261559
That would invalidate Jinko, which is CLEARLY the best Zuko pairing
>>84261350
Amen brother, amen. I kinda got my hopes up after Korrasami went canon, but comics are failing to deliver
>>
>>84261538
No, that was just in the shitty movies. In the books they pretend to get together because gaining a fandom was the only way not to die. Then while she's still busy sorting through her feelings and failing to deal with her massive ptsd a revolution breaks out and she's made the figurehead kind of against her will. That's when the brainwashing shit happens as a way to demoralize her and her army, since the majority of the world thinks he's her true love. In the end they do get together, but it's mostly because he's the only one who can understand the massive trauma that she went through.
>>
>>84261749
Actually it is kind of implied that he liked her sometimes before the events IIRC
>>
>>84261845
Sure, but she was totally indifferent to him romantically for most of the series. Hardly a Twilight-esque love story.
>>
>>84262042
yeah but the whole good girl and bad boy in love still sells a lot.
>>
I actually was just browing the AtLA tag today, and the Zutara ship is still going strong. There were so many angry teenage girls "reworking the series to be healthier and better" but of course it always ended in Zutara.
>>
>>84262481
it is shit
>>
>>84262563
You are not even the same guy who spam this shit, he is at least a little subtle
>>
>>84262309
He was in no way portrayed as the bad boy. For that matter, she was hardly a good girl herself.
>>
>>84260884
We would have had more gays. This is 2016 after all.
>>
>>84262309
Peeta wasn't a bad boy. He was generally positive and calm throughout the entire series despite increasingly worse shit happening to him (until the whole brainwashing thing). Gale was more of the "bad boy" character with all his crazy shenanigans, and Katniss rejected him. Even in the end it describes Peeta as the ice to Katniss' fire or something.

Peeta was a bro through and through.
>>
>>84260884
if it came out in 2016 the shippers would have focused on gay shit like aang/zuko and azula/ty lee
>>
>>84261350
>>84265532

This should have been the happy ending Azula got.
>>
>>84260884
I feel like it still would have. Girls like what they like. There was some weird chemistry between the two of them.
>>
>>84261350
>gay
>good
Fuck off, fag lover.
>>
File: e7fqc0.jpg (84 KB, 1000x424) Image search: [Google]
e7fqc0.jpg
84 KB, 1000x424
>>84260884

This kind of faggotry only happens when fan believe a ship might, will, or should really happen.

I don't care how likely or not you think it is, by the way. The point is that crazy delusional crap, anger, and feeling betrayed only happens when fans are sure it will happen and it doesn't. Whether a couple "works" or is based on anything is often subjective but what is true is that if people think it's coming they'll act nuts.

This shit does not happen when people actually ship something as a crack ship and know it will never happen, note.
>>
>>84260884
Did you completely miss the retarded shitfit that Makorra fans threw a year and a half ago when Korrasami won? The brooding scarred boy and brown girl would still be the #1 ship in 2016 because straight fans outnumber gay fans about 25:1, and straight bitches are dumb enough to fall for this sort of cliche trash.
>>
The now omnipresence of fujoshi in western fandom would mean gay ships would dominate the Avatar fandom as well.
>>
>>84260884
Considering something eqully retarded happened in LoK just 1,5 years ago it think Zutara would be about as popular as back then. The only difference is that today the writers might actually listen to shippers.
>>
File: aangzuko.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
aangzuko.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>84261559
Aang/Zuko would be better
>>
>wow weren't things so much better back when I was younger?
>any other 90s kids here???
>>
>>84261350
>probably the only good gay couple you could come up with from the original cast.
Zukaang would have been OTP if Aang hadn't needed to revive his race.
>>
>>84263202
Yeah. This is actually one of the things that Hunger Games writes extremely well. Peeta was interested in Katniss to start with, but what brought them together was how fucking ruined they were as people after everything they went through.

It's a pretty sad story.
>>
>>84261531
The short answer is that it's not a crackship, katara and zuko have similar histories are the same age and it was obvious from episode three that zuko was switching sides. The argument against sang that he is too young and that katara views him more as either a Messiah or a little brother are also valid. It's just that sang being the main character trumps everything else.
>>
>>84271165
Isn't it a rule that the first pairing always ends up together in the end?
>>
>>84271199
As a general rule yes although that ties into the main character thing because those are usually the characters we see first.
>>
>>84271199
Depends on fan response :^)
>>
>>84271199
>Isn't it a rule that the first pairing always ends up together in the end?
No, not always. I can think of a bunch of stuff where that doesn't happen.
>>
>>84261350
>not Sokka/Wang
>>
>>84271199
That's typically what happens. The primary reason for that is that you only have so much time to establish your characters before you need to get the story rolling. So if there's going to be a romantic pairing in there for the protagonist, you want to make sure that he/she and the love interest are given as much time together as possible for that relationship to blossom into what you want it to be.

Of course, there are plenty of instances where this doesn't happen; this is more of a commonality between works than a rule.
>>
COOL AN AVATAR THREAD

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO SUKI, SHE A QT

I just started legend of korra
>>
>>84271460
She banged Zuko.
>>
>>84271575
BUT SHE'S PURE
>>
>>84271613
Well Fire is a universal cleansing agent.
>>
File: 1466036207929.jpg (44 KB, 644x307) Image search: [Google]
1466036207929.jpg
44 KB, 644x307
>>84261350
>>84266071

But it would've been the bad end for Ty Lee. Azula was abusive as shit to her, and the only reason why she still acted cheerful was to keep Azula from killing her at random. For fucks sake, she forced her to walk a tightrope with a fire net underneath. You'd have to really hate Ty Lee to pair her up with Azula of all people.
>>
>>84272143
Well then I must hate myself because Azula would be my first relationship pick for any animated character ever (anime included)
>>
File: 1467447062755.jpg (186 KB, 787x433) Image search: [Google]
1467447062755.jpg
186 KB, 787x433
>>84261301
>*
>everybody was waiting
>saddly lbgt pandering wasn't

Fuck you,your piece of shit. At least try to pretend to not be tumblr, also it would be stupid as fuck that crackship. I have news for you, 99% of the people whatching the show don't give a fuck for Ty lee and Azula fucking each other, the world is not 4chumblr.
>>
File: image.png (582 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
582 KB, 720x540
>>84261660
While I agree on Jinko, maybe Jin would like to watch Zuko/Sokka or Zuko/Jet.
But yeah start with Jinko and build the other couples from there.
>>
>>84260884

It's like the Hermione/Draco pairing, so of course it would have gotten a big fandom.
>>
>>84273331

Do you think gay clubs are "LGBT Pandering Centers"?
>>
>>84274131
Why are shippers such cancer? Bryke decided to give EXACTLY what you guys always ask on these threads on Korra and it is pretty much agreed that it was shit.

Can you all just admit that you are desiluded and enjoy the fanfiction instead of wishingn that shit was canon?
>>
>>84274622
What it has to do with anything that I said?
>>
>>84274589
>Hermione/Draco

This happening would have made the books a lot more interesting, you have to admit. It also would have given more dimension and conflict to Draco and a few of the Slytherins as far as the absurdity of the blood purity slog. Even Rowling admitted Hermione/Ron was a mistake.
>>
>>84260884
Sokkazula might've been funny to see.
>>
>>84274638

Because it's possible for someone to write LGBT characters without pandering because gay people do exist. They could just sincerely feel like writing such a character because they have gay people in their lives, or are queer themselves.

The level of ire you have over teens shipping and childrens shows is also absurd.
>>
>>84274681
>Because it's possible for someone to write LGBT characters without pandering because gay people do exist

The thread is about fan interpretation mostly, not changing canon.

And wanting to change the canon sexuality of a characters - in canon - just for your shipping, is extremelly and obvious asking for pandering. Even more because it would ruin the dynamic of the characters, and what their interactions meant, just for you to masturbate.

>over teens shipping

You have to be over 18 to post here.

Also, unironically using queer around here is kind of laughable.
>>
>>84261036
This always happens
>>
>>84272143
The thing is, if the writers had decided to pair them together, those abusive scenes like at the circus would be changed to playful flirting ones.
>>
>>84275103
Turning menacing villain into quirky playful girl looks like a horrible idea. Who would like that?
>>
>>84275166
GLAAD
>>
>>84275179
So nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>84271460
Official word is that she moved to the suburbs with Sokka. Whichever suburbs they are.
>>
>>84266160
I'm normally against homoships because they're usually forced onto relationships that work just fine, if not better, as platonic ones but this one is an exception because it escalates the nature of their relationship in a way that might make it interesting.

>>84272143
That's what makes it interesting. Ty Lee obviously has fond memories with Azula and they are friends but she's also incredibly conscious of her darker side. She would be trying to juggle the two all the while asking herself if its worth it and swinging between yes and no based on Azula's mood.
>>
>>84274845

kindly fuck off retard

you're as bad as ACK in the madoka threads
>>
>>84276105
The world os not your tumblr mate.

If someone find your ship retarded, they will say here, this isn't your hugbox. If you don't like, get out.
>>
>>84276065
All that you said can be better done with a platonic relationship. The inhability to have any kind of relationship not based on fear is an integral part of Azula's character, her getting physical with anyone would break it.
>>
>>84267581
I was on /co/ after the finale and there were very few Makorra shippers. Most people just hated Korrasami because it was executed horribly and wanted Korra to stay single.
>>
Zutara's dynamic is still really popular in fandom and we should never underestimate the young teen demographic. There would be a lot more discussion about what it's "problematic" though, with people looking for same-sex options for both of them (and probably failing because ATLA provides very little opportunity for gay shipping).
>>
>>84276259
I don't agree that her getting physical would necessarily break that but otherwise don't disagree, I just think that of the gay crack ships Tyzula is the one I'd want to see the most because of the abusive angle.
>>
>>84276105
Looks like an actual faggot is triggered just because someone find their OOC ship shit.
>>
File: eTQ1qcapj4o1.jpg (727 KB, 1280x1813) Image search: [Google]
eTQ1qcapj4o1.jpg
727 KB, 1280x1813
>>84260884
It totally would get a fandom as big as it did originally, just with a bit more backslash from SJW. People still love stuff like that.
Basically, Zutara still exists in a way but it moved to Star Wars fandom. It's even the same people sometimes.

Look up 'Reylo' - it's a thing and it's overwhelmingly huge.
And SJWs hate it, for no apparent reason other than that it's sexist somehow.
>>
>>84276200
>>84276594

>your fictional ship is bad because I find fiction outside of tv-transmitted fiction BAD

how stupid can you be
>>
>>84272143

This is bullshit, shippers love to pair their favorite character/woobie with an abusive asshole. So woobie Ty Lee with asshole Azula is catnip.

So are the posts here about Tyzula shippers not wanting the ship to be based on fear. Plenty of Tyzula shippers have liked a sexual harassment, even repeated rape, angle to the ship. Fetishes, exploring darker themes, who knows but for Tyzula it is common. So some like Azula terrorizing Ty Lee into sexual obedience and it's more canon than a lot of these pairings. No fans of dark Tyzula don't hate Ty Lee, they probably identify with her and this is a dark sexual fantasy for the, a kink/hot, or it's cathartic somehow.
>>
>>84276758
>I don't care about the characterization or their interactions on the show, I just want the creators to make my masturbatory fantasies canon! This is good writting!

Kek, this is how you guys got all the cancerous shipping on Korra, and hated it. You know why? Because these cancerous crackships only work on the individual imagination of shippers, no matter how they make in canon, it would ruin most of your fantasies.
>>
>>84273331
damn son you're projecting more than a blockbuster cinema, go get checked
>>
>>84277738
He is kind of right.

That post was the most tumblr thing that I read today. Who fucking use *action*.
>>
>>84276895

nobody wants them fucking in canon, nevermind the fact that it would be impossible.

You're a projecting asshole. Fuck off.
>>
>>84277901
>nobody wants them fucking in canon

Nigga was literally whishing it here >>84261301

And nigga insisted here >>84274681

Read the conversation before starting to sperg, I don't care for which crackship you like to project on, as long as you don't pretend that it is a good idea instead of just wank material.

Now back to tumblr, because you need to be above 18 to be here.
>>
>>84260884
If ATLA aired now then Bryke would've caved in to all the Zutara, Tyzula and Tokka shippers and Aang would've been a cuckboy.
>>
>>84278013

The starting thread is talking about fucking Zutara retard

Zutara was never canon

We're talking about how much we would have wanted the lesbian ship to flourish instead of Zutara

are you so fucking stupid you come to a fucking Zutara thread to get angry at ships?
>>
>>84278204
Mate, the person I was talking to wasn't talking about fan ships, but canon ships and even reforced it in the second post, thinking on meta explanations for why it could happen.

But this as well as Zutara are fucking stupid anyway, and at least ATLA had writters smart enough to not pander to you guys, like just Bryke on Korra.
>>
File: 1466309450619.png (150 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1466309450619.png
150 KB, 800x800
>>84278204
>coming to 4chan
>not expecting someone to say that you have a faggot tier opinion

Its inevitable, and often deserved, like now.
>>
>>84260884
Zuko was the closest thing to a white guy, so no.
>>
>>84278751
Can you please stop saying *faggot*?
>>
>>84278883
No.

Faggot.
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 526x655) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37 KB, 526x655
>playing AotE
>everyone is using Katara/Combustion Man tag team
>can't dodge combustion bending after she freezes my character
>mfw
Game is fucking broken
>>
>>84279033
Edgy /pol/tard.
>>
>>84279200
If the word faggot alone trigger you, I think that we can really confirm that you aren't only a newfag, but probably is coming from tumblr and expecting others to act like there.
>>
Any popular romance without a basis in canon is considered a crack ship. Zutara will always be a crack ship because of that, though it's been acknowledged in the meta at least!
>>
File: 1467429723616.png (141 KB, 843x432) Image search: [Google]
1467429723616.png
141 KB, 843x432
>>84276065
>Ty Lee obviously has fond memories with Azula and they are friends

No she fucking doesn't, where the hell was this even implied? She gave no shits about Azula once she was imprisoned, you're just making shit up to justify your godawful ship.
>>
>>84279629
Of course she gave shit for Azula, she was fucking terrified of her when they visited her or when she scaped.
>>
>>84279034
what game?
>>
>>84274650
Plus it's got the Snape/Lily parallel (Snape falls for a Mudblood, lets his prejudices slip, she hates him forever, he still cares for her even in his downfall and it eventually makes him work for the good side) as Draco could have been going down the same path, but Snape, hoping to avoid the same fate, helps steer him away, and back to Hermione and the good side. Can you imagine, if in all the buildup to Voldemort's apprentice, during the chaos of later books he's actually set on the run with Harry and Hermione, as Ron's gone off to do whatever.

The Harry Potterverse is great for altverses.
>>
>>84279629
>No she fucking doesn't, where the hell was this even implied?
When they played together as kids.

But you know maybe I was exaggerating those fond memories. And really I'm not wedded to the Tyzula ship, its just more interesting to me than the other homoships.
>>
>>84274650
>Even Rowling admitted Hermione/Ron was a mistake.
Didn't she say this because she felt she should've done Hermoine/Harry?

And also Rowling's comments on the HP series after it ended seem to be cheap attempts at somehow generating a headline related to the only thing of note she's ever done after its heyday.
>>
>>84280534
It's like Korrasami, better when recognized as a crackship.
>>
File: zutara1.jpg (111 KB, 1167x685) Image search: [Google]
zutara1.jpg
111 KB, 1167x685
>>84278596
I don't think Zutara was stupid. I mean, by Book 2's finale there's no way in hell it was going to happen, but yeah, in the midst of it, when we didn't know what was coming, I thought they'd actually do it. Kataang felt lopsided at first, Katara was just an object in the start (not like that you autists, I mean just not active in the issue).

Aang just mulled and groaned over his crush and didn't really have Katara repirocating anything officially romantic, until Season 3. Oh she'd gotten hints, the necklace, the powerful bender, but Katara wasn't really reciprocating the feelings. Believing in Aang, calming Aang down, sure, but it wasn't until the dance party in Season 3 things seemed pretty heated. And by then, Zuko had outright deceived Katara and nearly gotten them all killed in his resolution, so that was well after that ship was finished off.

Did the fandom get dumb? Well no shit, it's fandom, what are you gonna do? But I don't think demanding exile of any ship or appreciation to either basic pornography or canon supreme is fair, even with all the comics and videos made. If Tokka and Tyzula can get a fair share of attention and affection without hassle, I don't see why Zutara shouldn't, all these years later. Just, you know, work with the personalities, don't make Katara a Disney Princess and Zuko into Edward Cullen.
>>
>>84280592
Probably.
>>
>>84280645
What's the context for that pic?
>>
>>84280747
It's fanart. The context is pretty clear.
Zuko's being STOIC HONOR STOIC and Katara's reminds him with a subtle buttrubbing that delicious brown must be conquered for the glory of the Fire Nation.
>>
>>84279714
My point exactly. She's horrified of her and has every right to be, what makes anyone think that they should be together outside of ridiculous headcannon?

>>84280534
Playing together as kids mean nothing when she grows up to be the world's greatest psychopath.
>>
File: 370.png (203 KB, 500x523) Image search: [Google]
370.png
203 KB, 500x523
>>84280591
>Harry/Hermione

That's legit gross, and one of the worst crack ships imaginable. They have absolutely no chemistry together. The friendship they had was great, and it's good to see male/female relationships that remain platonic. But anything past that makes no sense.
>>
File: image.png (88 KB, 971x657) Image search: [Google]
image.png
88 KB, 971x657
>>84276643
I came on here to make this exact comment. Self insert girl/bad boy will ALWAY have a huge following, and the vast majority of stories will revolve around her fucking him to the good side. When I saw TFA opening night, the second Kylo picked up Rey, I knew that a million fanfics would be launched.
>>
>>84281139
I agree. Like I said, a lot fo the stuff Rowling has said after HP ended seems like a cheap attempt to bring attention back to a dead series.
>>
>>84261036
#GiveAangABoyfriend
>>
>>84276895
What the fuck are you even getting at? The characters aren't real; it's all fantasy.

If you mean people shouldn't sperg out if their pairing doesn't become canon I agree,but if you're shipping for fun no one pairing is any dumber than any other pairing. It's all pretty stupid and imaginary. But fun is fun.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.