[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about your internships /co/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: summer-intern.gif (40 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
summer-intern.gif
40 KB, 400x296
Still in animation school, and starting to look at internships, possibly next summer. But who else here has had an internship at a studio? What was it like? Did you ever get to do more than get coffee?
>>
>>84254577
Where are you studying animation at?
>>
>>84254602
SCAD, I know it has some mixed views on co but so far it seems like I made a decent choice.
>>
I worked at Marvel as an internship, basically in the next two months it will be revealed that Husk died, Lemire has plans to kill jubilee in Old Man Logan, Nightcrawler will join the Magneto team, Wonder Man will return and Rogue loses her powers again anda a depowered Polaris
>>
>>84254649
all that already happened,
>>
>>84254645
Oh good, it's not CalArts.
Anyways. Most studios have internship openings, so that's a start.
>>
>>84254753
You know the sad thing there is they all consider CalArts to be their main rival and they love to be crazy competitive when dealing with them.

But I am more than sure SCAD is not in any way on the CalArts radar at all, none of them can even guess what state SCAD is in or care. Plus being in middle of fucking nowhere Georgia vs a school in the parking lot behind Disney/Nick/WB doesn't help either.
>>
I wanted to apply to that DC Writing Academy thing but I didn't have any comic samples. Hopefully they'll do it again next year.
>>
>>84254794
> it's unknown because we don't meme on it like CalArts

stick to discussing things you actually understand
>>
>>84254884
Not what he was talking about I'm sure
>>
>>84254577
I interned with WB around the time the GL movie was coming out. I was in the executive building.
hilites include
>Being aloud to read any script except for DKR and the Hobbit, so really, any shit I could find on the internet
>Going into the DC floor and passing the music meister episode of BBAB to Johns.
>Watching Conan O'Brien getting into a fight with his daughter (?) because she was bithcing about burritos
>The last Harry Potter movie came out while I was there and other studios kept sending us wine, cupcakes, etc. to celebrate it achieving highest grossing opening of all time (at the time)
>Watching Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight director) have a melt down
>Getting ice cream for an exec from across the lot, trying to run back to her before it melted in 102 degree burbank heat, getting lost in the gilmore girls set, getting laughed at by a tour while I was lost, making it back to the exec building, hoping the exec didn't realize I had delivered Ice cream soup
>>
>>84254976
>Watching Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight director) have a melt down

Tell us more, sounds funny. Also, tell us about the Conan thing.
>>
>>84254577
>Finally get an internship at Turner
>Thought all of my skills and years of classes were finally going to be put to use
>I was finally going to get my foot in the door and meet people, get to know and see people in the industry
>Thy put me in a room downstairs from the entrance in the main office
>I answered the phone the two months

I was a goddamn secretary the whole time
>>
>>84254794
>middle of fucking nowhere
Atlanta is Turner town. There's loads of animation shit happening there. Savannah has an Atlanta campus too, so if you want to take classes during the same semester as your internship I'm sure you could work something out.
>>
>>84254976
Sounds like a hoot. Wish I was in a position to be doing something like this.
>>
>>84254976
>>84255045
>>84255045
The Conan thing, there isn't much to tell. I was just getting lunch at the Poquito Mas on the lot and he was across the courtyard from me and it looked like his kid was pouting because he ordered her food with the wrong kind of beans?

For catherine, she was came in to try to get on another film like twilight. She was leaning really hard on how well twilight did in the DBO, but from what I overheard, the exec was politely being like "we just don't have anything in production that would be a good for you" until Catherine started get upset and said it was a conspiracy against her. The exec had me get her chocolate and she mellowed out in a few minutes. Very weird.

I was later told by a friend's dad who works in the industry that despite Twilight doing well, Catherine went over-budget a lot, had trouble explaining to the actors what she wanted to do (the main skill you need as a director), and would walk to her trailer to "think out" a scene for hours sometimes and her 1st AD or DP essentially directed half the movie. She apparently also made a lot of Canadian jokes, which over the course of shooting made her increasingly irritating to the Vancouver based crew. Essentially no one liked her, she wasn't good at her job, she was a little nuts, and the twilight film could have been directed by an ape and still done well. For all these reasons the executive was trying to politely tell her "fuck no, we aren't hiring you"
>>
File: hairy grant morrison.png (98 KB, 308x231) Image search: [Google]
hairy grant morrison.png
98 KB, 308x231
>>84254577
right like i can get an internship
i can barely get a summer job
>>
>>84255700
Was it her idea to not have a real baby?
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/11/05/this-terrifying-animatronic-baby-freaked-out-the-cast-and-crew-of-twilight/
>>
>>84255783
That fucking spawn of Satan is what my nightmares are made of.
>>
>>84254753
Oh jeez, has CalArts really become such a meme that folks would take SCAD over it? SCAD doesn't even require a visual portfolio to get in, unlike CalArts.
>>
>>84257155
doesn't SCAD have a shitload of courses that have nothing to do with visual art?

I would not think historic preservation, art history, writing or tv production would need something like that.
>>
>>84254753
>>84254794
SVA animation fag here. Our alumni include Rebecca Sugar, Bill Prynoski, and Bill Plymton, not to mention a shit ton of illustrators all you capefags love.
Why does /co/ never recognize our animation department?
>>
>>84254794
I've never heard of SCAD thinking of Calarts as rivals. Most of us CalArts kids don't pay attention or have any rivalries with anyone because we're all a bunch miserable, drunk, workaholics.
>>
>>84254577
I did an online internship for a smaller company. I basically just did whatever they needed me to. I did some concept art, some rough building models, and some video editing and gif making. Primarily I was on a team that was doing an animated music video to be a sort of demo of what the company could do so I was pretty involved in the storyboard and animatic for that. I was going to extend the internship and maybe get on a few paid projects, but unfortunately the company ended up closing its doors after a while of odd maintenance troubles. Regardless, it was a really good experience just working as part of a team on a project and being organized to work hard on something on a schedule. Disappointing outcome, but I was really happy with the experience.

Now I've got a new internship with a smaller company but I haven't gotten on any projects quite yet. From what I've seen of their animation work it's pretty unimpressive, but I've just gotta make work I can proud of it and it'll be something to put on the resume.

I went into school not knowing I wanted to be an animator, so my animation program was pretty tiny and I haven't gotten a lot of great opportunities. Sounds like you're off to a great start with your schooling already OP, good luck!
>>
>>84258682
I have gotten to meet a lot of people in my time there but that was as a new freshman so I never bugged for a job or anything because I knew that I had zero skills yet. I thought by next year I would be ready to start begging for a chance at any job.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.