[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck was his problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: wtf.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>84245626
he just got his shit all fucked up
>>
File: gordon.jpg (4 KB, 138x186) Image search: [Google]
gordon.jpg
4 KB, 138x186
the bats followed my advice of course.
>>
>>84245626
He's not well in the head
>>
>>84245872
How does his mom feel about that?
>>
>>84245918
MOM'S GONNA be quite perturbed
>>
What do you consider the "official" Joker origin story /co/?

What do you think is really wrong with him? Give me your diagnosis /co/
>>
>>84245626
He has to kill Batman before constant /co/ meme threads convince Batman to rape him.
And he's running out of time.
>>
>>84246105
The Joker had something very bad and very random happen in his life. He saw the world as having no inherent order. Nothing happens for a reason. It's all just random. Typical absurdism type stuff.

Batman comes into the picture because something random and bad happened to him too. But he had the opposite reaction. He's trying to force the world to make sense. To form everything into a nice grid. Where actions have consequences. Where people get what's coming to them because he damn well makes sure.

To an absurdist, that's just a joke. It's like trying to push water into a pile. Or roll a boulder up a infinite hill. There is no end game. You can't make the world make sense because there's nothing to make sense of.

The Joker is obsessed with Batman because he knows that they both have had the same trauma but Batman is going about it all wrong. He's make a fool of himself. He's a clown. To the Joker, Batman is like someone trying his damnedest to play pool with a bit of of rope.
It's hilarious.
>>
>>84246105
>What do you consider the "official" Joker origin story /co/?
personally, i'd say Moore's The Killing Joke, simply because it's a really short story to read but compelling enough to explain joker's motivation and show how ruthless he can be.

though rebirth might give him a whole new origin in the future, so we'll see
>>
>>84246355
>though rebirth might give him a whole new origin in the future, so we'll see
But which Joker? :^)
>>
>>84245626
He got raped.
>>
>>84246277
Well I think it's obvious he thinks society, and Batman in particular, are jokes.

Seems like a common theme that he thinks civility is just pretense and he's the only person being unpretentious, like he thinks he's the only person living right.

I like the theory that Joker is supposed to be an ultimate Nietzschean Superman, he's truly not held back by anything not even guilt or remorse.
>>
>>84246105
>What do you consider the "official" Joker origin story /co/?

I am of the opinion its better when there's several possible options but none are ever presented as the correct one.

However my favourite is probably that laughing god one. If I'm restricted to more mundane stuff then the origin in the killing joke.
>>
>>84246560
They touched on that in his 2010 origins pamphlet (although they did give the most attention to the killing joke one)
>>
Dick is fugging his girl.
>>
File: Joker_(Alex_Ross).jpg (23 KB, 250x316) Image search: [Google]
Joker_(Alex_Ross).jpg
23 KB, 250x316
>>84246105
He was once someone with a high enough I.Q. to be alienated from the rest of humanity, who he found ridiculous and insensitive in behavior, and he was very emotionally sensitive from a childhood of at least one form of abuse (but likely more than one) when he developed humour as a coping method, and at some point suffered a devastating life-altering trauma that turned his emotions into a stew of long repressed homicidal rage, pain, and anguish that caused to his own death of identity and manufacturing of a new identity, and that destroyed the last vestiges of empathy he had for anyone unlike himself, so now he has a suicide mission to cause as much death, misery, and mayhem until the creation by his own hand of someone who understands this level of suffering and madness.
All so he won't be alone with the horror of hisown existence anymore.
And because he's not without a level of introspection ... he finds that funny.
>>
>>84246385
Remind me what is the third Joker? I know one is Killing Joke Joker, one is Snyder Edgelord Joker, who's the third? Gangster Joker? Silver Age Joker?
>>
>>84247188
I don't think we have any concrete info yet
>>
>>84247188
Original/Man Who Laughs Joker.
>>
>>84246277
Although, you can play pool with a piece of rope.
You just have to soak it in water and then freeze it first.

Is this also crazy?

Maybe, but it's also crazy resourceful/determined.
>>
File: 1464849961825.jpg (146 KB, 993x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464849961825.jpg
146 KB, 993x1200
>>84247188
Just some mechanic named Joe. One of the faceless masses...
>>
File: page_42.jpg (319 KB, 995x1551) Image search: [Google]
page_42.jpg
319 KB, 995x1551
>>84246105
definitely the one in batman lobo
>>
File: page_43.jpg (273 KB, 995x1569) Image search: [Google]
page_43.jpg
273 KB, 995x1569
>>84247320
oh, and he's crazy, that's what's wrong
>>
>>84245626
He need the batdick.
>>
>>84246825
He's still alienated, the way he deals with it is different now. And he's still really, really smart. At least "that" variety of Joker. Some versions of him simply aren't that smart.

The ones that are that smart are terrifying because of how scarily smart and resourceful they are.

Only the fact that the Joker has a particular motive in interacting with Batman and certain other stuff like that make him ever lose. You get the idea that he's really a lot smarter than Batman.

He's also surprisingly composed at times. While obviously not definitive, I do think the dynamic between him and Batman in Serious House is interesting, for one.

Batman is off balance in that completely, he's dancing to the Joker's tune, he gets rattled quite badly. The Joker never really gets rattled like that in their interactions or throughout the whole event. He eventually gets brought down, but so what? He's still in Arkham, the fact that some of the inmates are dead or crippled doesn't matter.

It's back to square one with another event just waiting to happen, with the inmates remaining an ever present terror for those responsible for containing them, one that can hurt the guards, and both sides know it.
>>
>>84247403
>He's still in Arkham, the fact that some of the inmates are dead or crippled doesn't matter.
You can honestly read that story as a complete and utter victory for Joker. All he really seemed to want was to get inside Batman's head and make him think that, deep down, he really is as bad as the inmates and should be there with them. Since it ends with Joker's invitation to come back, I always read that as an implication that that's what Batman was left with.

Yes, Two-Face's coin which hints the other way was the actual final panel, but Batman was gone by that point and didn't see it.
>>
File: 1373060_b-HarleyCosplay.jpg (2 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1373060_b-HarleyCosplay.jpg
2 KB, 120x120
>>84247403
Even the fluctuating intellect can fit the profile: he HATES being himself to the point that he invented a clown identity to become, but being that smart is part of that identity that he hates, so through his insanity and delusion he becomes a less intellegent person, but that solves much of the self-loathing problem, and once cured of that the need to maintain that self-delusion fades, it's a chicken/egg thing, plus it's really hard to just not think up to your full potential. Try it some day.

But if you really want to explore his closest (non-bat) escape from global alienation we would need to talk about Ms.Quinn.
>>
>>84245626

just one bad day
>>
File: How can our eyes be real.png (504 KB, 594x662) Image search: [Google]
How can our eyes be real.png
504 KB, 594x662
>>84246277
Well said, I also think TKJ does an interesting thing where there's the implication Joker has sort of moved on from Batman. The routine has gotten old, if you will.

Initially he may have been interested to see why Batman was going about things as you described, humoring the idea his straight man bit had some point but the end of TKJ implies he now believes Batman is simply just as lost but was just lucky enough to make the jump to functional society somehow, nevertheless from Joker's view Batman himself is ironically still not functional in society so it's a futile endeavor following someone who doesn't know where they're going with this.

Instead he focuses on Gordon, the law abiding family man integral to the stability of society, to see if there'll be a repeat case of Joker or something else.
Gordon just bears it and it clearly confuses and frustrates Joker since he feels none of the three understand themselves even if they seem to understand each other. Reminds him of a joke.

>>84247267
The thing is Joker isn't denouncing being crazy improv like that, he indulges turning a frown into a laugh himself, he's just wondering why be crazy only to be sane about it?
If you don't have a pool cue just pick up the balls and play basketpool from the other side of the room. Go nuts. Why go through all the trouble to follow the rules if they don't matter? Better to just let yourself have fun.

He wants to know what Batman thinks he's building back by trying to fight crime and fix society. His one bad day already happened, there's no going back. With or without Batman it's going to happen to others in the world, nothing can stop that. For Joker Life and Society are how they are because they are what they are. Man can't change that, he can only find something funny in it and laugh to keep from becoming sad or mad. Otherwise like that anon said it's like trying to get the properties of a substance to behave against what nature makes inevitable.
>>
>>84248283
P.S. Don't misunderstand, I don't agree with Joker I just see his point.

Personally I think overcoming limitations no matter how brief or small is satisfying in itself.

Batman doesn't need to solve crime forever, he just needs to know one man could in theory make a difference since as a child that didn't seem to be the case. Now that he knows he can play timed wetrope billiards, why should he stop just because Joker doesn't get the point of the game? If anything there doesn't need to be a point if everything's pointless.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.