[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Kingdom Come so highly regarded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 1753719-kingdomcomehd.jpg (486 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1753719-kingdomcomehd.jpg
486 KB, 1600x1200
Why is Kingdom Come so highly regarded?
>>
>>84243801
the art
>>
>>84243814
Really? I won't lie, there are a lot of beautiful shots. But occasionally I can't even tell what's going on.
>>
>>84243801
The art is nice to look at (it seriously lacks motion though), but that's kinda it.
Marvels did it first and did it better imo.
>>
>>84243832
Ross s a poor comic book artist. He can do big splash pages or crowd a double page spread with characters and details, but his storytelling skills are awful
>>
>The art
>The ending
> One of the best superman out there
> old man Batman
>>
>>84243801
because its pretty good
>>
File: image.jpg (539 KB, 1000x1538) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
539 KB, 1000x1538
>>84243914
>>
>>84243877
holy shit, look how contrarian this guy is!

THAT ABSOLUTE MADMAN!~
>>
It's a meme
>>
>>84243914
Personally, I feel like Old-Man Batman was wasted. The "Batman is a sorta bad guy" angle was interesting, but then it was tossed out completely.

>>84243937
He's not wrong. Ross draws a bunch of statues.
>>
>>84243801
>>
The idea of Dick and Kory fucking is really hot
>>
>>84243937
It's cool to hate Ross on /co/ and pretend Peace on Earth and Power of Hope weren't beautifully composed.
>>
Why was Superman's logo black and red instead of yellow and red
>>
>>84243937
For the most part he's right. Everything looks stiff because he uses photo references heavily. He works best painting someone else's pencils/roughs, like with Justice. His work is better there because he was painting over Doug Braithwaite's pencils.

That being said, I still love his art and this was one of the books that got me back into comics after a long hiatus.
>>
>>84244053
Did you read it?
>>
>>84243937
>THAT ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Now Madman is actually a good comic
>>
> Why don't kids today like the things I did as a kid?!
- Mark Waid and Alex Ross
>>
>>84244163
Wrong. It's "90s comics make no sense and were being lead by corporate execs instead of writers/editors/artists like they original were". See: >>84243980
>>
>>84244194
Nah. Ross hated all legacies for dc. Thats why they used alan and made wally a blur
>>
>>84244163
especially Ross, the elitist silver age fag

i can't fathom what made him change his mind and do covers for ANAD after the closest thig to his confort zone were all those pulp characters comics from Dynamite
>>
Love that Magog ends up being the most sympathetic character despite being drawn to be the avatar of everything bad about 90s comics.

Sure hope it was intentional but I'm not sure.
>>
>>84243856
Marvels and Kingdom Come are nothing alike. Did you just see that Alex Ross did both of them an assume so? At least read something.
>>
>>84244580
>Alex Ross
>examination of the industry
>heavy usage of history
>heavy usage of symbolism
>non-cape character who looks into the events as the unfold

They have plenty in common. The difference is that Busiek was looking forwards as opposed to backwards.
>>
>>84244279
He probably doesn't care about marvel as much or hold them to a higher regard

Because Ross probably still hasn't gotten over COIE and Firestorm existing, let alone New 52.
>>
Did Ross do any DC work during nu52?

you know they're waiting for the right bomb
>>
>>84243914
>One of the best Superman out there

He abandoned the fight after they killed Lois Lane
>>
>>84244690
He did a few covers for Batman 66 I think
>>
>>84244716
Which is better than every other Superman who loses Lois.
>>
>>84244690
No. He was outspoken with his hatred for the New 52 and hasn't done anything for them except Astro City and Batman 66 since then. Yet he's doing all this garbage for Marvel that's shitting all over their legacy.
>>
>>84244267
Wally wasn't a blur, that was Jay. And Ross was the one that wanted traditional heroes. So instead of Kyle, we got Alan, instead of Wally, we got Jay, instead of Tim, we got Dick
>>
>>84244163
I loce silver/bronze age stuff.
Mark Waid and Alex Ross are two of my least favorite big name creators.
>>
>>84244382
Magog gets redeemed

I know you don't see that a lot in comics. This is actual storytelling
>>
>>84244716
He leaves the fight because the people side with Magog

You fuckers didn't even read the comic, did you
>>
>>84245679
What a cuck.
>>
>>84243801
The story is pretty much shit.
But hot damn the art is amazing!
>>
>>84244382
He came to the horrible realization that his motivations and methods where shit and directly responsible for the death of millions while irradiating most of the countries food supply
>>
>>84245883
No, the Flash in KC is Wally.
>>
>>84243976

>The "Batman is a sorta bad guy" angle was interesting

Are you kidding? How is Batman unironically teaming up with Luthor anything other than stupid?
>>
>>84246554
He didn't team up with Luther did anyone here read the fucking book
>>
>>84246568

Did you even read the comment, you literal autist? We're talking about the direction they supposedly abandoned, not what actually happened in the book. I'd have thought inserting the buzzword "unironically" would've made that obvious
>>
>>84243801
Among other listed reasons, it's basically Superman's "Dark Knight Returns." "The Man of Steel Returns" if you will.
>>
>>84244641
>Busiek literally writes a book just celebrating and streamlining Marvel's history
>hurr durr he was looking forward

man this is new levels of retardation
>>
File: 1461685858472.png (86 KB, 410x750) Image search: [Google]
1461685858472.png
86 KB, 410x750
>>84244382
I don't think it was intentional, but even the author's notes at the end said the same thing ended up happening to him. Designed with the worst of the nineties in mind, but embed up being his favorite design as well.

>>84246090
>>84246327
I loved the confrontation between him and Superman. Right after he throws a fit with the farmhouse breaking. He's trying to fix something, even just a little bit, and it all crumbles anyway. One of my favorite scenes in the book is that one lone shot of Magog in his cell, just staring at the floor. The whole Magog storyline in general is fantastic.

>>84243801
I'll tell you one of the reasons I love it. For the scene of Superman's return. Things are going to hell, two sides about to have a shootout with all those civilians in the middle, the line breaks, dropping the whole car into the river with everyone inside it. Everyone's panicking. And then it happens.

The mighty wind blows.
The river below changes course.
The people are brought to safety.
The weapons are destroyed.
The combatants are stopped.
There a moment of pure quiet.
And then, up in the sky, there's Superman.

Even with the costume change, and even with the stern, almost disappointed expression on his face, it's Superman. It's not perfect. He's not smiling. But it's him. He back. The relief everyone the is feeling is practically palpable. Even the reader can feel it.

Then the others follow. Heroes of old, restoring order. Going from coast to coast. Stopping the chaos. Making peace between factions. Making allies at every turn. Sure you, as a reader, may know things aren't going to end well. But for those few, brief pages, you feel like Everything's going to be okay. Everyone entrusts their worries to the skies. Because Superman is back.

Even though things don't end as well as everyone might have hoped, I still feel those moments truly capture what the people feel like whenever Superman arrives.
>>
Generally good larger than life story. The art's really fun to analyze and look at.
A lot of people here hate it because people hate Waid now for some reason, maybe because he whines on twitter or something or his latest runs haven't lived up to expectation. Or Contrarians who pretend Alex Ross isn't good or just don't like his art personally.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.