[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate him again? Whenever I read stuff with Scott
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
Why do people hate him again? Whenever I read stuff with Scott in, he's usually one of the most - sometimes THE most - level-headed and decent people around. Earlier in the same TPB, Maria Hill murdered him, Magik and that omega-level mutant by firing a shitload of missiles onto the plateau they were on. She'd have done the same if a school bus full of children were on that plateau. That's fine, though, no one comments on that or says that SHIELD are fucked up. Scott repeatedly is a decent guy who acts selflessly and in a bizarre contrivance EVERYONE hates him because that's the mandate at Marvel. It's weird.
>>
>>
>>84241256
Nobody but beast hated in that run, what ever caused the changed happened during the time skip. All we know is he did something to make everyone hate him and died trying to attack the Inhumans.
>>
>>84241475
Yes "Died"

He's gonna come back in Death of X and it will be glorious
>>
>>84241475
Well just about everyone is pointing out how much of a dick he is, all the damn time. In that TPB Iceman openly hates him and says, non-hyperbolically, that he hopes Scott dies.

I've got into and out of X-Men a few times in the past 5 or so years and each time I do, Scott is this pariah figure for some reason or another. At that point is was for accidentally killing Xavier, now it's for this thing he did that I'm not all that sure about (I'm still catching up).
>>
>>84241256
The writers tried to make him the bad guy but many readers felt he was in the right hence the Rightclops meme.
>>
>>84241475
The lawyer thing at the top-left panel is because everyone is so aghast that Xavier left the mansion and school to Scott and are desperately trying to get his will changed or ignored. This is post-Xavier but pre-Inhuman thing. But I'm pretty sure that even before Xavier, he was framed as this jackass egotist that many people hated. So odd because in all other media, like the cartoons and movies, he's still portrayed as the boy scout hero that you see if you look back at classic X-Men.
>>
>>84241475
There was a timeskip? This is pretty confusing. I just wanted to start reading recent X-Men but then I thought I'd go back and see what the fuck happened in Secret War because it seems important with Cyclops being """""dead""""" now.
>>
>>84241256
because Cyclops is the boss, people hate their bosses and wish they could run around doing whatever the fuck want and drink all day like Wolverine so they like Wolvie and hate Cyke
>>
Does anyone have a complete collection of vol 3 of Uncanny?
>>
>>84241692
8 month timeskip after secret wars.
>>
File: 1458768547143.jpg (268 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
1458768547143.jpg
268 KB, 600x374
>>84241256
Mari Hill didn't order the missile strike because she hates Cyclops, she acted in coldblooded response to a massive global threat because there was the most dangerous mutant to ever exist standing next to one of the most unpredictable and influential mutants in the world.
It was the only play left to her before she lost her ability to act.
That said, she probably doesn't even think of mutants as people, given how she's spoken and behaved in the past.
And that's an entirely different question from WHY Cyclops is such a polarizing character.
The reason for that is simple: people have trouble relating to him.
Superman has the same problem, in comics and IRL, people don't understand his motives or relate to his perspective and so there's all these people who think HE's a sanctimonious hypocrite.
>>
>>84242249
I didn't mean to imply that that's why she did it, I was saying that she killed the mutant and anyone with him, and while obviously Marvel wouldn't allow this to be shown, if that were a real situation she'd have done the same if the omega mutant was surrounded by 100s of children. Yet people in-universe simply thing of her as "detached" or whatever, not a homicidal maniac who just killed their friends.

Meanwhile Scott accidentally killed Xavier and just about everyone openly detested him and told him to fuck off on sight. Iceman, one of his oldest friends, even said he hopes Scott is killed in battle - not to his face in rage, but he confides that feeling to Storm. It's ridiculously disproportionate to what he did. No one hated Jean after she killed billions as Phoenix, everyone blamed the entity itself. It comes across as fucking awful writing since the causal effect is so out of whack.
>>
>>84241256
>I've have heard of
C'mon bobby
>>
>>84242391
He's literally too cool for school.
>>
File: Uncanny X-Men v3 001-003.jpg (156 KB, 640x984) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny X-Men v3 001-003.jpg
156 KB, 640x984
>>84242313
Maria Hill: willing to gas Jewish holocaust survivors if they "try anything".
>>
>>84242313

I'm not saying it's right for people to be treating Scott they way they do, but the Maria Hill analogue doesn't really make sense considering she doesn't really have any friends or anything and nobody liked her in the first place. She did exactly what everyone thought she would do.
>>
>>84242470
Normally if the writer wanted to show it was objectionable they'd have other people around her comment on it or have her say "God forgive me for what I'm about to do" or whatever. Instead we get a little comedy bit afterwards as two SHIELD troopers root through the bones of 3 innocent people (or at least, 2 people that weren't their targets at all) and have a funny conversation about if their helmets are bugged by the higher-ups.

It's quite clear that the writer doesn't consider this action to be problematic in any way. He had no one comment on it being a bad thing, or even a necessary evil, and immediately followed it with a little bit of humour. It's very odd, tonally.

Honestly, the fact that Maria has no friends would make it even more likely that the other cast would think badly of her; with Cyclops it's the fact he has friends and that those friends immediately start praying for his swift death that makes it so odd.
>>
File: Storm22.jpg (50 KB, 130x346) Image search: [Google]
Storm22.jpg
50 KB, 130x346
>>84242313
Why Marvel is setting the character up to be hated is yet another very different question...

They do this sometimes, other writers in other mediums do it too, they create an overblown drama around something that a character does and then imply that it could be expressions of emotion about something completely different that they aren't openly discussing.
X-Men did this with Storm's mowhawk, you know ... the one she got after a one night of off-panel adventure with that "crazy" ninja yakuza chick... and what happens next? young Kitty Pryde becomes morally outraged over Storm's recent "changes" in her personal identity.
So whatever /pol/ grenade Cyke's going to throw next will probably justify much of this hate.
>>
>>84241256
Cause he's a filthy mugga, anon. Are you some kind of mugga lover? Do you stroke your micropeen dreaming about your flatscan daughter getting MUTIEed?
>>
>>84242458
Wow, I was kinda offended by your post until I saw the pic and realized that actually literally happened. WTF Maria?!?
>>
>>84242249
>That said, she probably doesn't even think of mutants as people, given how she's spoken and behaved in the past

It seems that her hatred is less towards mutants in general, and mutant supervillains and the X-Men, who just happen to make up basically all mutants. Hating supervillains makes perfect sense, and while it may seem bigoted to hate the X-Men, when you remember all the fucked up shit they've managed to do or cause (countless examples of dicking around with time travel and alternate realities), it only makes sense that she dreads having to deal with them.
>>
>>84242908
Apart from her "it's not that I hate mutants" diatribe against the evils of Hank McCoy, and her anxiety issues about mutants as a threat in particular above other more problematic threats, or SHIELD's stockpiling of Sentinels under her knowledge, and her presumption that the Utopian mutants had no right to stay on that asteroid island post-AvX, even though nobody else had a claim to it...
It's that she sees these citizens of the world as people that she's not obligated to protect as she would everyone else.
>>
>>84243139
Have you seen her in anything else? She hates all superhumans. Maybe not to the degree of Gyrich, but she'd probably think the world would be better off if they were ALL gone.
>>
>>84243268

She'd be right.
>>
>>84243268
She used to be such a nice girl when she first showed up.
Well comparatively, at the time she came off as a ... ... anyway, needless to say, she got worse and now I look back on her debut year with fondness.
>>
>>84243268
I don't read all the Inhumans stuff, does she show up in those comics complaining about that population? Does she recruit Inhumans to attack other Inhumans for her own purposes? Does she one Inhuman she reeeeally wants dead above all others?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.