[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't seen any of it since the first episode premiered,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
I haven't seen any of it since the first episode premiered, but I've seen most of the marvel movies. Is it worth watching? Or is it just pointless buffy the vampire slayer level tripe?
>>
>>84220924
It's better than Arrow and Flash in terms of writing, acting, and just general look and presentation.
But if you go in expecting constant references or comic-verse characters, you will be disappointed. There aren't villian of the weeks like Flash and early Arrow.
The first season is slow until it picks up halfway through.
The second season is pretty good.
The third season is great.
There are not many "hype overload" moments like Flash talkbacks have, but it is better television.
>>
>>84221017
This.
>>
>>84221017
Yeah. It's not required MCU viewing (despite sharing the same universe). But if you've enjoyed the movies then it's worth a shot. It's fun.
>>
>>84221017
Absorbing Man was pretty fucking hyped
>>
>>84221228
Yeah, and the episode where Coulson's girl get's shot was nonstop action and excitement, but there are more slower paced episodes overall that serve to build a larger interconnected plot, rather than a a few key plot episodes over a season.
>>
>>84221358
When Coulson did the chest press and you hear that crunch I was like OH FUCK, PHIL!!
>>
>>84220924
its pure capekino, the films could learn a thing or two.
>>
>>84220924
The first few episodes are a bit weak, because of an embargo Marvel had on HYDRA - leading up to Winter Soldier's big reveal.

But after that, it goes from strength to strength.

It has some great charismatic villains, like Garret, Cal and such - and Grant Ward is really good to watch as he works his way through the universe from SHIELD agent, to villain, to merc, to HYDRA head, to alien space God...

Coulson has a few good moments but ultimately he's there as a rock. He's the foundation. The base. And as such, comes off as kinda vanilla. I get the impression that the writers don't really know what to do with him, and have basically rewrote his whole character post-avengers. But his story is good.

Skye starts out SHIT. But after she drops the Lul Randum hacker gurl!1! crap and becomes a competent agent? She's great.

May too.

And Fitz.

Gemma is worst girl.

Honestly, this show is better than it has any right to be, and all of the people who dropped it before it kicked into gear, post WS, really missed out.

I r8 8/10 at it's best, 6/10 at it's worst.
>>
>>84222306
Oh, and seeing the Inhuman stuff explored? Along with all the Spy-vs-Spy stuff? It's got some great world building for the MCU.

The idea that Superpowers aren't just something a scientist can whip up in a lab? That now seemingly random people can become these dangerous Inhumans? It really does a lot to throw open the floodgates for what could happen, and serves as a pretty impressive stride from where the MCU started - with a man who built a robot suit, and THAT was the weirdest thing around.
>>
>>84220924
bump
>>
>>84220924
I wish it was Buffy level tripe

At least the characters in Buffy could be likeable

Coulson needs to die again
>>
they lost me with x-acto fingers Criiistoopheeer
sorry
>>
I found the latter half of season one and first portions of two to be the highlight of the show, but it's always been somewhat mediocre. And shoehorning the Inhumans plotline in because they wanted to introduce not-mutants to the MCU was a massive fuckup.

That said, over all, the background plot is pretty important for context on the larger MCU.

For example, the knowledge that SHIELD is actally just as powerful as ever, just underground, makes the helicarrier scene in AoU a lot less jarring. And the amount of time (and how little real progress they have made, a given considering their premise) SHIELD has spent actively rooting out Hydra in government agencies and high places makes the accords seem like the worst thing ever.

But it's also a little uneven. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage should have all gotten a visit from either a SHIELD team or a government spec-ops force by now. Kilgrave should also have had SHIELD on his ass from the moment talked to Patsy on the radio, as they have acted on slimmer leads before.
>>
ITT: Marvel shills
>>
>>84220924
I always found what the villains were doing way more entertaining than what the SHIELD people were doing.

It could be because I was high most of the time I was watching it but it seemed the pattern was interesting villain stuff split up with the heroes rocking up somewhere, looking around and going "drats, one step behind again!"
>>
>>84221017

>It's better than Arrow and Flash in terms of writing, acting, and just general look and presentation.

the look and presentation is definitely better since they use their budget to fly around the world. the writing and especially the acting in the first two seasons is shit

if OP can sit through one bad and one mediocre season, then he will probably get some fun out of the third one in my eyes
>>
>the we're getting Ghost Rider this season
>>
>>84220924
Yeah, it's gotten pretty good.

Slogging through the first half season is hard, but it pays off because they introduce a lot of stuff that they only cash in much later.

It's like they went too far on the "everything is normal and is gonna be okay" before they go apeshit with it.

It has ALWAYS better written finales than any of the netflix or CW shows, and relies on spy-tropes and some mystery to be interesting, not hollow hype-reference moments.

Do give it a watch, it's probably the best superhero capeshit on broadcast tv,
>>
>>84220924
Season 1 sucked

Season 2 got better after the midseason finale when the inhumans are introduced.

Season 3 was great all the way through though Family. Different tone to the show, great fight scenes, better music.
>>
>>84230115
>better music
I looked it up, it's the same guy that composes stuff for Black Sails. I did notice they have better music than they are supposed to.
>>
>>84230115
>>84230170
It's still the same composer
>>
>>84220924
I think it's worth watching, especially if you got time to kill. It's a good serial and it does a lot of nice world building.
>>
File: POS.gif (2 MB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
POS.gif
2 MB, 500x220
>>84220924
Don't trust anyone who tells you to watch it.

>Watch it, it's shit
>"It gets better after TWS!"
>Watch it, it's shit
>"It gets better in season 2!"
>Watch it, it's shit
>"It gets better in Season 3!"
No, fuck you. You cried wolf one to many times.
>>
File: lol.gif (186 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
186 KB, 128x128
>>84228458
>the background plot is pretty important for context on the larger MCU.
>>
>>84230761
So what in particular do you not enjoy about it?

Personally I found it got progressively better with each season, but I'd love to hear what you didn't like.
>>
>>84232152
I really dislike it's constant need to ape Joss Whedon's writing style and not even doing that right. The snarky, insincere attempts to be clever that plague writers who frequent TV Tropes.

None of the characters are interesting, and most of them are very flat.
>>
>>84232229
Yeah, That's valid.
Most of the characters are a bit flat.

I chalked that up to them being in the spy game, and usually being pretty dry and direct. They even explain in the case of Coulson that SHIELD took him in high school, which is why he's a bit robotic - he grew up inside the system.

But yeah, I won't lie - the characters can be a bit...bland.

But the story and the situations those characters get thrown into is entertaining to me at least.
>>
File: 1467560784189-783257399.jpg (75 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1467560784189-783257399.jpg
75 KB, 960x540
>>84220924
The first season is pretty fucking shit. But once you get past that one, the rest of the series is just mind-numbingly awful.
>>
>>84232452
>>84232452
>2016
>still not getting why Karla Faye Giddeon was there
>not getting that Cal wanted her to prove how inept, and heartless were when it came to the index
>not getting that she was merely there to show Daisy that SHIELD are stupid evil idiots who, rather than rehabilitate or surgically fix Karla, they put her in iron mittens and placed her on house arrest
>not getting it when Cal literally spells it out

I swear AoS critics are even more retarded than usual lately
>>
>>84220924
its better than JJ
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.