[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is he so boring?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14
File: hal bordon.jpg (261 KB, 625x950) Image search: [Google]
hal bordon.jpg
261 KB, 625x950
why is he so boring?
>>
Because OP is a faggot.
>>
>>84218204
why state the obvious?
>>
File: 1132209-spectre_3.jpg (922 KB, 1280x1214) Image search: [Google]
1132209-spectre_3.jpg
922 KB, 1280x1214
Not OP, but I do agree. Change my opinion. Legitimately asking for great GL stories because the few GL and JL stories I've read, he's not great. Loved Blackest Night tho.
>>
Fuck off Zaibatsu.
>>
>>84218184
Because he's no longer written by a fanboy.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not shitting on Johns for fanboyism, it's actually his best trait. Johns was a fanboy for fucking EVERYONE, which is what made shit like GL: Rebirth and Sinestro Corps. War fucking great.
>>
File: Johns favorite character.jpg (206 KB, 1043x1200) Image search: [Google]
Johns favorite character.jpg
206 KB, 1043x1200
>>84218472
>Johns was a fanboy for fucking EVERYONE

Sure
>>
>>84218530
Was it legitimate hate or did Johns actually think he wasn't ruining the character?
>>
>>84218559
johns purposefully ruining freeze so he can have his boner for captain cold maintained

just like how threw john stewart and martian manhunter under the bus for justice league and replaced them with black cyborg to keep hal safe when lantern is eventually introduced in the justice league

his bias for his favorite characters knows no bounds
>>
>>84218530
I was specifically talking in relation to GL characters, guess I should have specified that better.
>>
>>84218184
Because he's not Guy.
>>
>>84218559

Johns once tried to choke a fan that was wearing a Sub-zero t-shirt, he also vandalized several toy stores, he put stickers that said "i'm a faggot and captain cold is cooler" on all the Freeze toys.
>>
>>84218623
Jeez, I never looked at Cyborg on Justice League from that angle. It's a shame Manhunter got the shaft, but Stewart is the real boring Earth Lantern, so I'm mostly ok with it.
>>
File: AlanScottFirstBest.jpg (100 KB, 600x644) Image search: [Google]
AlanScottFirstBest.jpg
100 KB, 600x644
>>84218184
He didn't write the book on Willpower.
>>
>>84218184

Who hates Hal more? Raynerinserts or Stewartcucks?
>>
>>84218988
Faggots
>>
>>84218988
No one hates Hal, he is just bland
>>
>>84218184
>>84219229
Okay, I don't get it. How can you think Hal is bland but John Stewart isn't?
>>
>>84219229
How in the fuck does someone find Hal Jordan to be bland??
Do you only read Justice League comics and thinks he's bland because he's "just another hero" in the background? Because if you actually read his stories you wouldn't have been saying this type of shit.
>>
>>84218472
People say Johns jerked off Hal all the time in his GL but after SCW he really didn't. He started jerking off Sinestro instead and Hal ended up looking not so great most of the time

>>84219229
He's not though. Why do you think he's bland?
>>
>>84218384
I used to hate GL, thinking he was OP and boring, until a friend of mine had me read Emerald Dawn, Emerald Dawn 2, Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, and Final Night. After that I was hooked on GL. (Green Lantern) Rebirth came out not too long after (back in 2004, not the current one) and he shot to my favorite character. Mostly because of Emerald Twilight. But then I rode that wave onto Sinestro Corps War and it was just a great ride. I would recommend the same.
>>
>>84219403
Who is defending stewart?

Everyone knows Guy > Alan > Kyle >>>>>> Hal >>>> John
>>
>>84220705
john is responsible for the death of an entire planet and has guilt and shit. makes badass constructs that are functional and not hollow and has a thing going on with a hot evil space babe

hal was always just MUH WILPOWER
>>
File: hal jordan dressed up as Xorn.jpg (11 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
hal jordan dressed up as Xorn.jpg
11 KB, 180x280
Because the fundamental elements of the character, specifically his backstory and powers, do not lend themselves at all to an actually engaging personality

Think of it like this: What makes GL different than any other super hero? Why IS he worthy of his ring? A character like Ironman, possibly the closest comparison you can make character wise, is driven by his own responsibility. He was a heartless inventor who only cared about selling his latest invention. Once he found out what people were doing with his invention and was attacked with the same weapon he helped build, he had an epiphany. Tony Stark must carry a heavy burden knowing full well that he is the reason to blame for what happened, and he is only able to carry that burden on the heavy metal shoulders of Ironman. His origin is born out of a sort of self-loathing hatred, a characteristic that is now accustom to the character and has helped produce some of the most iconic/greatest stories involving the character

But Hal Jordan doesn't carry any burden. He isn't really challenged by anything or anyone, nor does he particularly feel the stress of being given such a great responsibility that comes from the Green Lantern ring and mantle. He quickly gets over any possible xenophobia that may come from his alien comrades, unless of course he's fighting evil aliens. There's nothing interesting about his character because he never had the intention of being anything more but the vessel for your typical superhero comic. The only major difference/saving grace the character has is that he was lucky enough to be built around such an interesting concept like the Green Lantern Corp
>>
For hal fanboys
>>
>>84221084
Why'd post a picture of the worst Lantern?
>>
>>84220940
None of that matters to JLU fans, where John is just the gruff ex-Marine semper fi guy
>>
>>84221084
Guy is my favorite too, but there's no need to be a dick.
>>
>>84221084

Reminder that Guy got punched out by Batman, and Hal floored Batman
>>
>>84218184
He's never had a truly great writer to change him from a generic silver age science fiction super hero. Geoff Johns reversed any characterization that happened to a silver age template (most of that characteriztion was stupid, but it was there: e.i Parallax) . John's control over him has kept him there ever since.
>>
>>84221930
Yeah. Each time, the person that got floored deserved it. Doesn't matter if it's Guy, or Bats. If someone needs flooring, there'd better be somebody willing to step up and do it.
>>
File: tbDaX32B7C21L264JegK83R5.jpg (58 KB, 676x976) Image search: [Google]
tbDaX32B7C21L264JegK83R5.jpg
58 KB, 676x976
This cover art made me lol
>>
>>84218530
What did he do to Freeze?
>>
>>84220940
>Ignoring Paralax
>Implying John's current characterization isn't just "I was a marine"
>>
>>84222554
kinky
>>
File: hal-and-sinestro-tussle.jpg (138 KB, 655x784) Image search: [Google]
hal-and-sinestro-tussle.jpg
138 KB, 655x784
>>84218184
I find him entertaining.
>>
He's pretty. When you have handsome looks, you can get by without a personality
>>
>>84223102
pls, you only like him for his hot bod
>>
>>84218184
The thing is, OP, there's nothing special in being a GL.

It just means that the recruit filled the requirement and was lucky enough.
Except for Kyle, but he was kinda lame. But so is every human Lantern.
>>
>>84218184
Because he's a Fighter Pilot Ken Doll. Kyle is the most interesting character with actual conflicts, Guy is an asshole which while one note is at least fairly unique note for a hero, and John is not that much far above Hal but still has more appealing backstory.
>>
>>84222586
In the New 52, he made it so that Nora wasn't Freeze's wife, she was a woman frozen in the 40's and he became obsessed with her after when she was already frozen.
>>
>>84218530
Now Johns just fucking hates Batman.

Also had absolutely nothing to do with the current Mr. Freeze that's all Lobdell and Snyder.
>>
>>84218184
Compared to who?

Guy Gardner sure he's largely the only Green Lantern with a personality.

But Jon Stewart and Kyle Rayner are charisma sucking black holes who make every story they touch boring.

Thus making Jordan the only real competitor.
>>
>>84225234
That was Snyder
>>
>>84222586
He "suggested" his new origin
>>
>>84220705
Correct version

Guy>Hal>Gay Dude>Gail Simone>Muh Xanshi
>>
>>84221003
>But Hal Jordan doesn't carry any burden. He isn't really challenged by anything or anyone, nor does he particularly feel the stress of being given such a great responsibility that comes from the Green Lantern ring and mantle. He quickly gets over any possible xenophobia that may come from his alien comrades, unless of course he's fighting evil aliens. There's nothing interesting about his character because he never had the intention of being anything more but the vessel for your typical superhero comic. The only major difference/saving grace the character has is that he was lucky enough to be built around such an interesting concept like the Green Lantern Corp
I don't think you've ever read a GL comic
>>
>>84218384
Start with Johns' Secret Origins story arc in GL vol. 4, then go to Rebirth (the 2004 variant) and start reading Johns' GL run.

Pretty much everyone who thinks Hal is boring has just not read very much about him. He's a ctually a very compelling character.
>>
File: hal_is_gorgeous.jpg (98 KB, 741x1024) Image search: [Google]
hal_is_gorgeous.jpg
98 KB, 741x1024
>>84223576
Hey, I can like him for his hot bod AND his personality. If I claimed to like him for his brains, then you could call me out on it.
>>
convuluted story, nothing really distinct about his personality
>>
>>84220705
Please. Everyone knows Charlie>Hal>Alan>Guy>>>Kyle>>>>>>>>>John
Simon and Jess need more focus before I can place them.
>>84220940
But John's most interesting arc came before MUH XANSHI.
>>84221003
He qualified for being a Green Lantern via his willpower. Hal goes above and beyond in that regard, including walking 100 miles, ringless, across an arctic wasteland. Hal is about never giving up, even in the face of total and utter defeat.

Also, he does have conflicts in the Corps, and internally, because he has elements of both people like Barry and Stewart (toe-the-line authority loving straight men) and people like Ollie and Guy (rebels with no respect for the "man") and he's constantly torn between those two poles. He's also one of the few legitimately dumb heroes.
>>84221946
>Who is Marv Wolfman?
>Who is Denny O'Neill?
>>84225060
>Kyle
>interesting
He's fun in a team, but his solo was only ever good because of the god-tier supporting cast. I miss Radu.
>>
File: Hal can't get a job.jpg (514 KB, 1200x1768) Image search: [Google]
Hal can't get a job.jpg
514 KB, 1200x1768
>>84225060
>Because he's a Fighter Pilot Ken Doll.

Prior to Rebirth Hal spent more time not being a pilot than actually piloting. I think his longest running job was being a big rig driver. The guy had a lot of oddboll jobs.
>>
>>84223415
We're talking about Hal, not Kyle.
>>
>>84220940
>>>/cbr/
>>
>>84221159
>>84221930
EAT SHIT YOU FAGGOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLikQxXJdYk
>>
File: 3fs94c8s.jpg (848 KB, 1200x1023) Image search: [Google]
3fs94c8s.jpg
848 KB, 1200x1023
>>84223576
I really like his relationship with Sinestro.
>>
File: sinestro-and-jordan-friends.jpg (507 KB, 1877x907) Image search: [Google]
sinestro-and-jordan-friends.jpg
507 KB, 1877x907
>>84230504
>>
File: laughing green lanterns.jpg (113 KB, 682x394) Image search: [Google]
laughing green lanterns.jpg
113 KB, 682x394
>ITT: muh husbando>>>>yours
I like it better when they're working together like family. It really doesn't matter who sucks/is bland, it comes down to the writing being good or not.
It's really funny how green lantern threads turn to a "who is the shittiest gl" bitching fest. It'll only get worse when the upcoming(haha 5+ years) movie is nearing.

I think people who complain about Hal being bland seem to be casualfags who never touched his solos and only remember his early silver age era stuff posted from leddit or Tumblr. Even GL fags who dislike him don't say he's boring, they just call him a pedo dumbass or a klutz who's only good for his ass.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.