[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He believed that if you could do good things for other people,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: responsibility.png (1 MB, 698x902) Image search: [Google]
responsibility.png
1 MB, 698x902
>He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things. That's what's at stake here. Not choice! Responsibility.
>When you can do the things I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.
What's with all the pussy footing around "With great power comes great responsibility?" Is it because the Raimi movies did it first?
>>
>>84209143
It would have been an atrocity for the first use of the great responsibility line in the MCU to have been in Civil War, save that for the solo. Now, ASM was just fucking up, because that whole series was a mistake.
>>
>>84209143
>>84209143
Fuck off. The speech in Civil War was great. He also should say it in his solo series, motherfucker.
>>
It's funny how /co/ lambasted ASM for it, but praised CW for the same.
>>
>>84209143
It's an iconic line and they're saving it for a dramatically ressonant moment.
>>
>>84209229
The CW one is shorter. Also TASM unnecessarily ascribed it to Richard.
>>
"With great power comes great responsibility" was only ever said in a narration box. It was never spoken verbatim by any of the characters. The movies are just keeping with tradition.
>>
>>84209297
It was originally ascribed to a disembodied narrator. Making it Peter's father's mantra is already a trade-up.
>>
>>84209143
Tony asked what happened to lead him to this, he didn't ask what Peter's dead uncle said.
Throwing out a mantra quote about his power obligating him to be responsible would just have Tony shaking his head from the belief Peter has a martyr complex.
Peter explaining instead that there are correlative consequences to inaction sounds more reasonable.
>>
>>84209143
Eh,It's a good speech hits all the right notes, much better than Pa Kent's death to horses one anyway.
>>
>>84209371
Wasn't that retconned so Ben also said it?
>>84209426
>>84209255
>>84209220
Good points.
>>
>>84209143
>When you can do the things I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.
I loved this line because it basically sums up Spider-Man's origin without having to show Uncle Ben die for the fiftieth time.
>>
>>84209832
And it parallels Tony's guilt over Ultron/Sokovia. It was a well-worded line.
>>
>>84209408
It's better as Ben's mantra than Richard's.
>>
>>84209832
He's only died in live action twice. Not like the Waynes.
>>
>>84209426
The added in lines about him not playing football because he couldn't before and how he was mean all his life really give me hope for his character. They nailed pete.
>>
>>84209229
Here's the thing Peter in CW is deliberately being cryptic about it. he knows it's his fault and it's hard for a kid his age to admit it because he knew he could have done something but didn't. Them not using the direct line in this sense is fine because the message is still there and the line can show up later still

In ASM the line was butchered. Instead of "with great power comes great responsibility" we got Uncle Ben hammering down about how Peter's dad ""believed" that if you could do something you had a moral obligation to do it" It simply didn't feel right when it was said. The message never comes across either because after Ben's death Peter goes out for revenge hunting down criminals with who only particularly follow into the bad guy's body type. Only after Peter has dinner with the Captain that he takes it seriously meaning that what Ben said meant nothing initially.

And personally in ASM they should have brought it in for the phone message. the problem with ASM was they focused too much on Peter's dad and were trying too hard to copy Marvel in a setting that just wasn't ready for it. Sinister Six would've tanked horribly.
>>
>>84210026
>in ASM they should have brought it in for the phone message
Not going to lie, that phone message fucked me up
>>
>>84209408
The disembodied narrator saying it meant that Peter had realised it on his own, which as far as I'm concerned, is better than it being the mantra of Ben or Richard.
>>
>>84210330
Yeah I wouldn't mind if the MCU didn't attribute the phrase to anyone but Peter, the words are iconic but the message is more important.
>>
>>84209143

Because his lines in CW don't just allude to the classic spider man uncle-ben mantra, but are also directly relevant to the ideological differences between Iron Man and Cap.
>>
>>84210026
>were trying too hard to copy Marvel in a setting that just wasn't ready for it.

Eh, not really. ASM is very self-contained aside from setting up the Green Goblin (which they eventually didn't use the way they intented anyway). ASM2 is the one that went overboard with setting up the Sinister Six.

>Only after Peter has dinner with the Captain that he takes it seriously meaning that what Ben said meant nothing initially.

I don't interpret it that way. Peter believed what he was doing was right, but it was ultimately self-serving in the way. Captain Stacy opened his eyes to what Uncle Ben really meant about selfless responsability. I thought it was rather effective and that scene of Peter contemplating the mask after saving the kid on the bridge and understanding what it truly means remains one of my favorite Spider-Man scenes across six movies.
>>
>>84209143
But even when they purposefully didn't use this exact line in Civil War it was still done times better than in ASM and, in my personal opinion, better than the Raimi films did it, but I'm biased against them and the line just sort of seemed cheesy each time it was used.

What I want to see from the MCU Spidey films is that, if they ever show a flashback from the night he died, they do it just like in the comics - Peter is walking home and gets the news from a cop or they could have May call him, that would be a different kind of emotional impact similar to that of Ben dying in Peter's hands, which never happened but has already been done twice in both origin movies. A good actor should be able to deliver an iconic scene in which a shocked young Peter, previously drunk on fame and money, alone in the middle of the night learns that his father figure has been murdered. I'm pretty sure that Holland can execute it perfectly if given the chance to.
>>
>>84210755
Yeah Ben should die in his own house. I was fine with how the other films showed direct consequences immediately but this is their chance to do it differently yet closer.

They could even work it into the reasons they moved to an apartment. Main breadwinner gone so less money, but also to get away from the trauma.
>>
>>84210755
>What I want to see from the MCU Spidey films is that, if they ever show a flashback from the night he died, they do it just like in the comics
I think it would be really nice if we got something in the way that Spectacular Spider-Man did it.
>>
>>84210755
I don't know, I think a direct result from Peter's hubris is more dramatically poignant.
>>
>>84210755
Another thing I hope they cover from the ASM comics is the fact that the money he was earning was to pay Ben back for the science stuff he bought him.It could give a lot of weight when Peter learns about the murder.
>>
>>84209143

This is the entire argument agaisn't Stark's position and it still works.

Fuck Tony Stark.
>>
>>84209143
So if someone wants to fuck your wife and she doesn't mind, you should just let them do it. Because if you can do good for others, you have to do it.
>>
>>84211742
What am I missing here? I don't get how this relates to Stark. Except for Ultron's concept and execution.
>>
>>84211864
I think I'll need to be lobotimized before I can comprehend the logic behind what you just said.

>>84211981
The Sokovia accords which stop those who have signed from taking action without the consent of a committee or whatever. Meaning that something might happen at any time that Tony, who has the power to stop bad things from happening, might have to turn a blind eye one day because of the accords.
>>
>>84211864
/tv/ pls go
>>
>>84211981
>Avengers: We want to save these people
>U.N: Russia says no.
>>
>>84211742
>>84211981
>>84212282
I think Peter's thing ties nicely to Cap's whole reason for the Civil War too
>If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could.
>>
I think what's important about the Great Power speech is how it relates to Spider-Man's villains as well. So it makes sense to save it for the solo film.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.