[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finished reading Gotham Central, pretty good, wish we got more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: gotham-central.jpg (262 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
gotham-central.jpg
262 KB, 960x1280
Finished reading Gotham Central, pretty good, wish we got more of it.
Other than Montoya, Sawyer and Corrigan, does the rest of the cast ever show up in any stories after this?
>>
>>84208784
One thing I never understood was why exactly Montoya beating up Corrigan in a bar made him "untouchable" by the MCU and Internal Affairs even though they had a mountain of evidence against him. All the beating would do is render his confession to selling a bullet from a crime scene on eBay inadmissible, wouldn't affect anything else, especially since Montoya would have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>84208784
Cripus allen
>>
>>84208784
Allen becomes Spectre and that's all.
>>
>>84208952
>>84208965
Has he shown up ever since the New 52?
>>
>>84208900
Remember the first story when Montoya was framed almost effortlessly for corruption?
Why didn't the MCU just find Two Face and get him to help them plan a frame-job on Corrigan?
>>
>>84208900

The series operates on "cop show logic," you can't really question it.

I grew up in a law enforcement family and I've literally never seen anything outside of The Wire that gets it right.
>>
>>84209474
Nah.
>>
Why can't Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark just marry each other creative wise? God tier tandem.
>>
>>84209537
>The series operates on "cop show logic," you can't really question it.
Yeah, another example of this is the girl whose job it is to turn on the Batsignal

>So, what is my job, exactly? Technically, I work for a civilian organization that temps me out to the G.C.P.D., so I’m not actually a city employee. But in reality, I work in the Major Crimes Unit, doing reception and computer work. . . and more importantly, I turn on the Bat-Signal. When it needs to be turned on, I mean. That’s really why I can’t be a city employee.A few years ago a case got thrown out because the perps claimed the police sicced Batman on them and violated their rights. See, the G.C.P.D. has never acknowledged Batman as anything other than an urban legend, and they claim the signal is just a deterrent. To scare the bad guys. But the judge on the case had actually seen Batman once, so he threw out the confessions, and since then, no one on the Force is allowed to touch the Bat-Signal. Because if the police turn it on, they’re saying Batman is their agent, and they can’t do that.

>Funny how in a bureaucracy it’s not okay for the Police Commissioner to flip a switch himself, but it’s okay for him to tell me to. Just another reason the system is totally screwed-up, I suppose.

Pretty sure that legally there is no difference between the Comissioner telling someone to turn on the switch and doing it himself. A Judge wouldn't be fooled.
>>
>>84209713
That whole period where DC pretended that Batman was an urban legend whose existence had never been proven was pretty dumb. It kind of broke people's suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>84209884
Batman as an Urban Legend is actually a great idea, but you can only do it early on his career before he is on the Justice League.
>>
>>84210087
Pretty much. By Gotham Central, Batman had been active in-universe for over 10 years. No way anyone would think he's just an urban legend by then given all the public stuff he'd been involved in.
>>
>>84210087
It also falls apart once the bat family starts expanding. Yeah one guy who works in the shadows might remain an urban legend, but not when he's accompanied by two teenagers wearing brightly colored costumes.
>>
I'm making my way through it right now and I'm close to the end but I'm only now starting to like it. The opening arcs were really slow and the cast was so big that I could barely remember who was supposed to be who or what their purpose was in the book.

I still don't understand the praise it gets though. It's just a book about cops that reveals nothing about how Gotham PD really operates or tells any interesting or unique story about police officers. It's just by the numbers police stories that I can see better realized on TV.
>>
>>84210757
They're police stories done in Gotham City. The setting alone sets it apart from normal cop shows, it tells tons of stories that could only be told in this context, these normal cops dealing with Batman and "Superfreaks" is a huge part of the story.
Also, I disagree, we find out a lot about how the GCPD operates.
>>
>>84210757

Those by the numbers police stories used to be a lot less common so the "in Gotham with supervillains!" twist was actually an interesting novelty at one point. Now the cop formula is so overplayed there's literally no novelty that makes it interesting. Even Zootopia side stepped most of the cop shit and just focused on the animal city.
>>
>>84209713
If the confessions were made under duress, then the Judge has every right to throw them out. The cops were stupid if they thought they could get away with it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.