[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hellboy Analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: hellboy-in-hell-580x895.jpg (99 KB, 580x895) Image search: [Google]
hellboy-in-hell-580x895.jpg
99 KB, 580x895
He's posted a new vid on Hellboy this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Xd-kDl5IU

Might be spoilers though if you haven't read it.
>>
>>84206383
So... none of what's in this issue ever actually happened?
>>
>>84206383
Pretty good.
>>
>>84206563
It's ambiguous on how it all went down, but Hellboy did wreck Pandemonium and Hell and everybody pretty much fucked off.
>>
>>84206563
No Hellboy probably did attack the surviving nobles of Hell. Now how that fight actually looked like, we don't know.
>>
>>84206563
Yeah I think the point is we don't really know if he ended up like that, as the big demon or whatever.
>>
Hey guys - I made this vid - happy to take any questions.

>>84206383
Thanks for posting OP!

>>84206780
Thanks dude.
>>
>>84206383

what was with all those weird shapes at the end of the story? Some kind of reset switch for hell?
>>
>>84208491
That was from a short Mignola did that his daughter wrote. You can read it here: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5604593/this-comic-by-mike-mignola-and-his-daughter-is-the-most-heartwarming-thing-youll-read-all-day/

Basically when he shapes arrive they indicate death. That's probably what the blinding yellow light the next panel indicates, too. It's Hellboy's time to go.
>>
>>84208529

So is Hellboy completely gone? Just vaish and disintegrate into the shapes? Or did he ascend to heaven? Or sit down and play with the shapes in a bright lit room?
>>
>>84208529
>>84208561
I thought the shapes meant he could finally create
>>
anyone got the link to that chronological mignolaverse mega? there's a lot i still haven't read
>>
>>84208626

I think we haven't seen the last of Hellboy or those shapes. Since Hellboy was already dead could he die again? If Hellboy can't die again then a kind of balance might have been reached at the end of HiH #10. Like an Impasse. A pause. Hellboy might return.
>>
>>84208360
When are you doing Pax Americana? Literally When? My autism demands you do some Quitely work.
As a side note, do a video about Omega Men. Reddit and 4CHAN loves it. You'll likely get more views on it than average. There are 2 videos you could make about Omega Men, the overall symmetry of paneling between 12 issues that's representative of Omega sign (how the sign mirrors itself when broken in half) and about issue 9 which starts with 9 panel on the page and as issue goes on each page has one less panel, when it reaches the middle page it has a spread that represents 0 and from there on it goes from 1 to 9.
Just few suggestions mate.
Also care to share what your next video is about?
>>
>>84208360
This was great, love your channel man. What other vidoes do you have planned?
>>
>>84208626
>>84208701
Yeah I mean the way around it is I guess that have we seen Hellboy encounter the shapes before? I don't believe so... So this could be the first time he visits them, like in the other story, and he has time until they come back again.

This could just be the end though. He's got 50+ years of chronology to tell other Hellboy stories in, too.

>>84208776
>>84208776
Yeah that's the issue of Omega men I want to do. Just deciding if it becomes an episode about symmetry in general or that particular issue.

And yeah, Pax is on the list, I'm just getting around to re-reading it ahead of breaking it down. I will get to it, I promise!

As for the next video... not sure yet but I might do something about the way dialogue for different characters is presented. That's always been fascinating to me, and is one of those things you cannot do in any other medium. Think of like how Sandman's speech bubble is presented... What does that sound like? You can't do that in novels of in films at all.
>>
>>84208940
>the way dialogue for different characters is presented.
That's actually a fascinating topic. I really don't notice it myself because I read every character in one voice but you're right. Well whatever you do mate, good luck.
>>
>>84208940
If going for symmetry, the entire run has symmetry in paneling from issue to issue. An analysis on color would also be fit for that, in both emotion, and is issue 7 showing illusion.
>>
>>84206563
>>84206822
>>84207489

It actually happened. You can see in the last page of the issue before.

His body stuck on the trees desapears, and the fire around it sugest his transformation.

How the hell would he otherwise kill Leviathan and Behemot?
>>
File: Hellboy in Hell #3 - Page 24.jpg (155 KB, 1280x1969) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy in Hell #3 - Page 24.jpg
155 KB, 1280x1969
I greatly enjoyed this, would love to see a whole series of videos on the three eras of Hellboy (BPRD era, Hellboy wandering the world, Hellboy in Hell)
>>
File: 1466181973211-1.jpg (447 KB, 703x941) Image search: [Google]
1466181973211-1.jpg
447 KB, 703x941
>>84208940
Its not the end, Mignola said tgat he is just taking a pause of 2 years and will go back writting him again.
>>
>>84208360
have you ever considered doing a video about how Dave Stewart's colors bind all the Mignolaverse titles together?
>>
>>84209425
he's taking 1 year off to paint, he doesn't know if he'll ever draw Hellboy again though
>>
>>84208360
what are your thoughts on the Macbethian elements of Hellboy in Hell?
>>
File: 1465744945532.jpg (744 KB, 1280x1969) Image search: [Google]
1465744945532.jpg
744 KB, 1280x1969
>>84209678
Interesting enough, Hellboy killing Satan with a dagger was Astharoth plan all along.
>>
>>84209831
almost everything prophesied about Hellboy has come true in one way or another, only glaring thing that hasn't is being reunited with Hecate
>>
File: bprdhe116p4.jpg (309 KB, 600x905) Image search: [Google]
bprdhe116p4.jpg
309 KB, 600x905
>>84209840
Probably she will still show up. She appear on every version of the end of the world so far.

>>84208940
Man, your work is great, really inspiring and helpfull to young artists learning to convey story telling on a comic format. I'm actually recomending them on the class that I teach.

I know that might be strange to convey another Mignolaverse comic so early, but I recomend something in the future dealing with BPRD, Hell on Earth on New York. It has been a long time since I saw such great action sequences on so many different levels on a single comic.

Have you read it?
>>
>>84209958
James Harren's a rock star, he can do action and purely emotional sequences so well
>>
Is Hellboy going to come back to save the BPRD from the Dragons?
>>
>>84209417
Biggest problem of making this series. Too many comics, too many topics, not enough time -_-

I add some more bits on my Patreon, too, if anyone's interested. My philosophy is the content will be free and not have ads, but if anyone wants to support me I'll try and add some "exclusive" content in between vids, too.

>>84209425
Has he said he'd do post-Hellboy in Hell though? There's still years of stories in-between to tell, and this is a really great way to "end" a series.

>>84209678
Oh yeah. I mean I think it all ties into what I talk about in this video, that it's aiming for this kind of old-world mythological feel to it. He's attaching these older references and weights to the story to make it have some additional gravitas - entirely earned though, but it helps give it an extra sense of "epic", I think.

>>84209958
Ah wow - that's so cool! What class do you teach? If you want a version without any of my Strip Panel Naked stuff around the start and end - if that'd be useful - let me know. Send me a message on twitter or something.

I've not read Hell on Earth actually. There's still a load of the Mignolaverse I haven't read...
>>
>>84209425

I hope so. Hellboy got me through some tough times with his tough times. If not it's been a great ride.
>>
>>84210845
>Has he said he'd do post-Hellboy in Hell though? There's still years of stories in-between to tell, and this is a really great way to "end" a series.

Yes, he said that he will be back writting it later. You can see that there are still plenty of plot points to work with Hell, like Pluto, the hell army that can only be awaken by his hand, Grey saying that he has things to do.

>Ah wow - that's so cool! What class do you teach? If you want a version without any of my Strip Panel Naked stuff around the start and end - if that'd be useful - let me know. Send me a message on twitter or something.

I'mb from Brazil and I actually teach mostly animation, but your videos help a lot regarding storyboards. Ha, no need to edit the videos, its better that they learn about other channels to look for besides the teachers.

I was thinking on making a list with good YouTube channels fornece area.
>>
>>84210845
Do you have the link for the last chronollogical Hellboy threads?

Because you can find most of them here.

https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/84075179/#84075179

Only the last two threads aren't included.
>>
>>84211502
Useful! Cheers.

>>84211275
Well, either way, that's really cool that you're using it as a teaching aide. Didn't expect that at all.

>>84211211
If he doesn't, it's a great way to end the series.

While I'm here, apart from Pax and Omega Men, anyone got any recommendations of topics they'd like explored? Doesn't need to be centric to a particular comic or anything, could be broader about the medium as a whole.
>>
>>84214112
I was thinking of narration to create atmosphere, specifically how Tom King does the uneasy/creepy atmosphere in Vision. Would be nice if you could do a video about the comic at some point.
>>
>>84214112
How about the changing of art styles/artists within the same issue of a comic or a single work? How it can add to or detract from the visual storytelling.
>>
>>84214112
I was thinking about the god-tier panel work on Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, but you already did something related to panels recently.
>>
>>84214315
On interviews he said that Sandman was a major inspiration for the narration.
>>
File: 1423889588080.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1423889588080.jpg
186 KB, 1280x720
>>84214112
I'd love on on The Goon, and technique, color, and style (Eric Powell notes in the bonus material of Chinatown using the story to "take advantage of those elements as storytelling techniques.")
>>
>>84211275
>Yes, he said that he will be back writting it later.
I thought he said he might be back but wasn't sure, but if he isn't back that he considers this a good point to end it
>>
>>84214876
Everybody says something different. Someone find an interview or something.
>>
>>84214112
Well, I think you should try finding stuff that's really hyped right now, for gratuitous views. Or maybe even comics that are popular in mainstream media, and people have difficulties understanding it. People usually have these difficulties, because comics are very foreign to them.

I had to of my friends read Sandman, and they couldn't wrap their heads around it, they couldn't tell the panel sequences worked, they didn't understand "where they are" in the comic. So, I'd like it if you'd do a Sandman paneling video. Sandman Overture might be your best bet, Williams's paneling is out of this world, and it's very unique to his style.

Okay, I know it's Strip PANELS Naked, but I'd love to see you talk about comicbooks inspiring artists and culture throughout the years, or vice versa.Ellis's Hunteresque Transmetropolitan, the whole of Heavy Metal just blowing up an almost underground cutlure, Jean Giraud and his importance in EVERYTHING, basically. Wait, that's it! I would like a video on Jean Giraud. I know he has been done to death by everyone, but you might pull in a hefty European fanbase if you do that well. You could do European comic creators. Enki Bilal, Jean Giraud, Tiziano Sclavi.
>>
File: BPRDHE-132-CVR-600x922.jpg (110 KB, 600x922) Image search: [Google]
BPRDHE-132-CVR-600x922.jpg
110 KB, 600x922
I don't suppose anyone here has everything in B.P.R.D. from 131 and on?
I torrented everything put out up until 2014, then had to find a site with the rest, but the site skips a couple of issues and I can't find anything else that looks trustworthy.

Probably not the best place to ask but its a hellboy thread so
>>
>>84208940
I think Omega Men's whole 12 issue run is symmetrical, too? Don't have it in front of me now.
>>
>>84214112
>Well, either way, that's really cool that you're using it as a teaching aide. Didn't expect that at all.
You are basically teaching though :^)
>>
>>84216661
I am going to help you, mate.
check Libgen
>>
>>84216191
>“I can’t say for sure this is the last ‘Hellboy’ thing I’ll ever be involved in. I don’t want to put that final of a note on it,” Mignola warns from behind his studio drafting desk in Manhattan Beach, California. “But for now, this is the end of my run of writing and drawing the Hellboy stuff.”
> “My idea was that he would just roam around forever and just have a good time,” Mignola explains. “I was trying to get him away from all the crap that I’d heaped on this guy over the years. This will be his vacation. He gets to go to hell, which will be kind of a nice place, and he can just hang around and talk to fish (and) skeletons.”
>“When I killed off Hellboy, the truth is, he didn’t go to hell, he went to the inside of my head,” Mignola says. “Because the world that’s in ‘Hellboy in Hell’ is the world that I started making up when I started doing these things for myself. So the world that I’m drawing and painting is, yes, it’s the background in ‘Hellboy in Hell,’ but the reason it’s the background is because it’s just the stuff I want to draw anyway. I took Hellboy and threw him into a world that was entirely made of things I wanted to draw. So now when I’m drawing for fun, painting for fun, I’m still drawing that same world.”
>>
>>84216839
> “I’d always known what I was going to do, but when it came down to actually doing it, I kind of lost my nerve,” he says. “I didn’t lose it completely, but I did kind of keep waffling back and forth. It’s one thing to say you’re going to do this weird thing, it’s another thing to actually do it.”
> “I don’t want to say that this ending isn’t satisfying for the fans,” he says, “but it’s not an easy ending. It doesn’t spell anything out in a real comfortable way. It’s an odd ending. So I did start wondering: ‘Oh, what is the audience going to think? Is it going to be too weird?’ And then I said: ‘Well, I can’t come up with an ending that’s any less weird. This is the ending I’ve always wanted, so this is the ending we’re gonna do.’”
>>
>>84216803
[spoilers]thank you sweet anon ;__;[/spoilers]
>>
>>84216894
Next time ask on the Win-O' thread
Also, the tag is 'spoiler', not 'spoilers'
>>
>>84214112
How about talking about covers for comicbooks?
>>
How about something on Simon Roy? Tiger Lung is pretty great. I think Roy is one of the better western artists at conveying a sense of physical horror.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.