[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you guys think of providence? I just started reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: providenceact1_hc.jpg (99 KB, 350x541) Image search: [Google]
providenceact1_hc.jpg
99 KB, 350x541
what do you guys think of providence?

I just started reading and its fucking me up
>>
love the way it depicts the occult and magic. It's pretentious in that fact that you kinda need to of read a shit load of other media to fully understand it.

But gee anon, how is it "fucking you up" ?
>>
It's the best Lovecraft related anything in years.
So good that it makes Neonomicon interesting and engaging.

It sets out to do what Moore said he wanted to do with that series. Bring back the depravity hidden in the stories, except it comes off much better because Moore and Burrows are now being true to the core of the stories.
Surprisingly true even.
>>
>>84205874
issue 6 when he 3 weeks get lost overnight and he does all the shit with elspera and then sees himself coming back into manchester as he tries to escape that psychosis esque shit really gets to me on a personal level cause I've had experiences very similar to it IRL
>>
>>84205731
Probably the first Avatar book I'll ever bu when the whole thing is done. Moore is really in top-notch form on this.
>>
>>84205731
Reminded me how good weird fiction can be when it's done well. And surprisingly detailed regarding 1910-20s gay life
>>
>>84206008
It's also probably Burrow's best work too.
The coloring and detail have risen him up to the level of the story.

I do doubt that earlier Burrows would have been able to pull off the scene in the Miskatonic Library.
>>
>>84206117
That is true. And he also puts a lot of effort into the historical accuracy, which is also a joy to see.
I really hope he won't go back to Crossed or other lcd shit after this wraps up.
>>
>>84206256
I have a theory that he might be doing the final crossed mini.
Because that should have been solicited months ago but they're holding off on it for some reason.

But yes the detail is fantastic. And so are the variants. So good.
>>
>>84205874
Its not pretentious but it is annoying. Problem is theres a lot of info and background info and if Moore put a little authors note on every panel, wed have a case of David Foster Wallace. Thats the price of genius and strict adherence to historical accuracy.
>>
>>84206086
I cannot for me the life of me find the exact quote, but it goes something like "A good horror story is like a good hoax, in that it has an element of truth to it," by I believe Lovecraft himself (but it could also be Poe).

And it applies fully to Providence. All the little details really ups the immersion and makes the setting feel real, which then contrasts wonderfully with all the otherworldy bits.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.