[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long till they get their shit together?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 4db5eb9588fcd.jpg (228 KB, 1000x571) Image search: [Google]
4db5eb9588fcd.jpg
228 KB, 1000x571
I've always been a fan of their universe and comics, but we all know they've gone down the fucking shitter in recent years. How long till we get some good series going from them again? Also, if you were in charge, how would you fix it? And how come they refuse to do any more crossovers, those are always my favorite books
>>
>>84197982
Probably 3 more relaunches at least. So, mid 2017 at the earliest
>>
>How long till we get some good series going from them again?
There's plenty of good to great series if you bothered to look into and read at least a few comics.

>And how come they refuse to do any more crossovers, those are always my favorite books
I'm reading the first issue of Soule+Kudranski DD/Punisher right now. I'm pretty sure it dropped last month.
>>
>>84197982
>mutants
>f4

Oh wow, this is old. I don't have the new one where a lot of certain characters were missing.
>>
>>84198083
>There's plenty of good to great series if you bothered to look into and read at least a few comics.

I meant consistently, obviously they have a few good books that drop here and there. Vision, Deadpool/Spider-Man, Moon knight, to name a few, but it's largely over shadowed by all their shitty books. I'm talking about when they start to get good consistently. Like how the past month DC started to get their shit together.

>I'm reading the first issue of Soule+Kudranski DD/Punisher right now. I'm pretty sure it dropped last month.

Two months, I believe, but I was referring to inter company. Like, Punisher vs Batman, Spider-Man vs Red Sojna, Fantastic Four vs Gen13. Those are always fun.
>>
>>84198233
Neither Marvel or DC have ever had only, or even majority good books. There are always bad books/ bad runs of books out; before the internet people just tended to forget them over time.

Besides, most of Marvels books really aren't that bad. Most are average at worst, with things like Squirrel Girl and Hellcat and Mockingbird being the only irredeemable ones. /co/ (and tumblr even moreso) just like to blow things out of proportion.

As for DC, Rebirth has also been average for the most part so far. It's just that when compared to a lot of the crap DC has been publishing the last few years, average seems good.
>>
as long as they keep making more money than DC by a wide margin, even ex-Star Wars sales, then they dont need to change anything

It's actually DC that needs to change. Unless they push out more Batman and Harley Quinn comics, they will continue to always be beat out by Marvel in the top 20 sales. Tradebacks don't cover nearly enough for the losses sustained in month to month floppies.
>>
File: no.gif (518 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
518 KB, 500x371
>>84198083
>plenty of good to great series
>plenty
>>
>>84200223
>Most are average at worst
I don't know, dude. I mean, to each his own, but they've had tons of shit books recently, especially with Civil War 2. Mostly all their characters are legacy at this point, which I'm personally against since I see it as lazy story telling.
>>
>>84197982
Honestly Marvel in this last year have some very good titles, it's just that all that anyone wants to talk about is everything they don't like, Carnage, Vision, Moon Knight, Contest of Champions, Silk, Spider-Man and Deadpool, Ultimates, Venom SK have all been really good.
>>
>>84200368
>mostly all their characters are legacy at this point
man I remember near the end of 52 people were wishing for legacy characters since everyone was tired of the current characters

what happened since then
>>
>>84200369
OP's not looking at or for reality here, they want their opinions reinforced in order to validate their own emotions.
This sort of thing is always done in other contexts to rally support for unjustifiable behavior.
Here, the meme created, once validated by others and reinforced by the creation of a whole invented narrative around the meme, will ultimately be used to justify to others outright shitposting. If they're successful in speading this belief they will be able to say to mod-types that it's not really shitposting if there's this "fact" that makes it okay: you can't shitpost what nobody cares about, right?
>>
IMO, now that DC has fixed their biggest titles with Rebirth, it's embarrassingly apparent how weak Marvel's big books are (ASM, X-books, Guardians, most characters who were in TV/movie in the last 5 years, ANAD Avengers, etc.). And it's just getting harder and harder to defend it, especially when the so-called replacement books aren't any better.
>>
>>84200369
Outside of Vision, Ultimates and contest of champions, most of their titles are verying degree of okay to good and nothing worth speaking about.
>>
>>84200369
None of those comics are better than any DC comic published in the last few years
>>
Hire some good writers. They need to give Seeley that Blade series before DC grab him up.
>>
>>84200953
>fixed
Other than GA and potentially Batman under King, all the other rebirth titles have been incredibly mediocre
>>
>>84200958
>Moon Knight
>not good
>>
>>84201062
>Lemire
>good
>>
>>84201071
ok but

>Moon Knight
>not good
>>
They just need to put Trump as villian for 3 more series and make every avenger a black king.
>>
>>84201062
It has great art and a promising plot, but Lemire's writing is mediocre. you have shit taste if you think it's good.
>>
>>84201191
under that criteria nearly every cape comic published by the big 2 is bad
>>
>>84201021
Maybe.

But at least they're changing things up, putting decent teams on the books, and seeing what happens.

Slott's been on ASM for centuries. Bendis takes whatever book the Marvel heads happen to be pushing. The other big-name-ish writers at Marvel are spread thin, carrying too many titles (especially the kinds that aren't their strong suit).

Even for the writers who would seem free to be as good as they can be, there seems to be a level of creative stifling that's reminiscent of the early New52.

Rebirth may not have immediately fixed everything, but at least right now, it feels like every book has the opportunity to be halfway readable.
>>
>>84201021
Based on first issue of a few titles.
>>
>>84200249
This. Marvel is doing good in sales. They don't need to change anything.
>>
>>84197982
10 years
>>
>>84197982
Wtf I hate marvel now
>>
>>84200249
Marvel is the one with the piss poor sales & excess copies of BP because they've been fucking over retailers for the past year. Sorry, Marvel has problems.
>>
Thanks to Disney and the MCU (and I can't say I am unhappy) the comics seem to now be the place where they advertise, and throw concepts at the wall to see if they stick with the readers as a test-base. It makes financial and creative sense when you are talking a couple of hundred thousand comic sales and movies that sell millions of tickets, millions of DVDs, and move merchandise.

Comic audiences were a niche before the MCU became a runaway success. Now? Well, you really think the suits give a shit beyond which characters and iconic runs they can pluck from them? It's pocket change compared to a lottery win. Every person in my town could retire for life on just what Iron Man brought in.
>>
>>84200538
marvel has shitty legacies
>>
>>84197982
just stop buying their shit

please. they are never going to learn their lesson until people stop giving two shits
>>
>>84198083
maybe if you are a sjw
>>
>>84204098
The fuck are you even saying? Even Deadpool sells more than Superman. DC can't consistently keep anything in the top 10 other than Batman and Justice League. Marvel is just more popular with normies.
>>
File: spot mr fantastic.jpg (337 KB, 1200x788) Image search: [Google]
spot mr fantastic.jpg
337 KB, 1200x788
>>84198094
There you go.
>>
>>84201062
>Moon knight
>good
With such bad taste among their fans, no wonder Marvel is tanking.
>>
Kill their flagship titles like X-men and Spider-man, because it's not like they care about the quality of those. They know mutie lovers and Spiderfags will buy anything they put out. Or get some quality writers on those.
>>
>>84201021
Nightwing and Deathstroke should be good too, but yeah DC is mainly boring shit at the moment
>>
>>84200369
Isn't Venom the one that had the artifacted, poorly resized Tau spaceship from Dawn of War as part of a background? No matter how good the writing is on that, I don't think I could get past that degree of lazy art.
>>
>>84201131
>Trump was behind Civil War II
>>
>>84197982
They haven't been good for my entire lifetime, so I doubt they'll suddenly start.

Fuck, they weren't even good in the 80s
>>
how long till they put someone else on amazing spider-man
it'll sell regardless, why not give slott something else
>>
>>84200223
>and Mockingbird
Issues 0, 1, 2 and 4 were all good. Only issue 3 was bad because it went full SJW.
>>
>>84200960
This. They may be good for Marvel, but even Marvel's best comics right now aren't as good as DC's worst.
>>
>>84210297
I think that's the point. Why put a quality writer on a title that'll sell regardless of quality? They use those to prop up books like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Vision, etc that need the boost.
>>
>>84205711

I refuse to believe that Marvel is that salty that they'd do something this blatant. But I'm also not surprised if they did.
>>
>>84210641
Marvel doesn't make these posters. They're made by third party licensees, and Perlmutter isn't allowing Marvel to license out the X-men and Fantastic Four to third parties anymore.
>>
>>84197982
Does anyone else find it disrespectful that they renumbered ASM after 700?

I haven't read Marvel since One More Day so it's not fair for me to judge the actual quality of their books, but the status quo changing every six fucking months stops me from getting back in. I see pictures and I don't recognise it as the Marvel universe anymore. Having all these characters substitute for icons like Thor and Wolverine gives me an uncanny valley feel.
>>
>>84210626
The problem is, you need to give the good writers their time to shine.

Otherwise, as it is now, it ends up being a cycle of negative reinforcement, where the bad-but-popular creators can keep asking for big name titles and more and more freedom to wreck shit as they please, whereas the good-but-unpopular creators continually fall out of the spotlight until they're out of the company entirely.

When those good writers are (at least occasionally) put on big books, they can then bring their talent AND the attention that their talent warrants onto newer/less-popular books.
>>
>>84197982
What we need is someone in charge who will keep them from running shit story-lines, a bad guy to keep them in check and tell people like Bendis when they've gone too far.

In my opinion the company needs to take a more grounded stance, stop mass character death/revival and try to restore some sense that the stories and events that occur have some kind of long term consequence.
>>
>>84197982
It's over. X-Men won.
Marvel is dead
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.