[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: 509679728_640.jpg (48 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
509679728_640.jpg
48 KB, 640x360
What the fuck went wrong?
>>
File: 1465028346514.jpg (29 KB, 238x241) Image search: [Google]
1465028346514.jpg
29 KB, 238x241
Nothing. it was a solid season.
>>
>>84186269
Hiatus is too long
>>
It had Total Rickall, that alone made it a good season
god I love that episode
>>
>>84186269
Hiatus wasn't long enough, felt pretty forced most of the time.
>>
Nothing, it was great.
>>
>>84186269
Not much besides a phoned in multiverse TV sequel, but otherwise solid.
>>
>>84186269
Not much.
The couples therapy episode with tiny rick was excellent, and the multiverse sequel was actually funnier than you guys made it out to be.

>when stealy just hauls that office guy off
>>
>>84186269
I liked it. Stop trying to be a contrarian just because you think it makes you cool. You didn't even provide what you didn't like.

Sure there were some not great episodes, but the whole season was good. It didn't have any huge bombs like the raising gazorpazorp episode.
>>
Honestly, it had just as many up and downs as the first season, but the difference was that this time we knew what to expect.
>>
File: when-he-says-lets-head-for-home.png (207 KB, 423x416) Image search: [Google]
when-he-says-lets-head-for-home.png
207 KB, 423x416
>>84186269
Trying to recapture lightning in a bottle by making a second Interdimensional Cable episode.

The microverse episode was pretty fucking great though
>>
Which episode was the one that people hated the most?
>>
>>84188031
My least favorite was the Schwifty episode.
>>
>>84186269
It didn't really raise the bar, or do anything that differently. For the majority of each episode I felt the joke was tired, and the subplots for most the episodes felt like rehashed or rushed filler.

>>84188031
Get Schwifty or the Interdimensional Cable 2. I think Get Schwifty had a lot of problems with it, but still had some of the best jokes out of the season.
>>
>>84188209
>>84188090
what was wrong with get schwifty?
>>
>>84186269
Not as many 'great' episodes. First season felt like they almost couldn't miss, second season it started being able to miss.
Manufactured drama rather than organic drama (see: empire of dirt, rick almost purposefully killing himself).
That's about it. Still pretty darn good, just not quite as consistent as first season.
>>
>>84186354
>>84186975

There wasn't a hiatus. The only sort of hiatus came mid-season in S2 and even that was only 2 weeks. Compared to other shows Rick and Morty has a fairly consistent airing schedule.
>>
File: 4chan_in_a_nutshell.png (20 KB, 459x156) Image search: [Google]
4chan_in_a_nutshell.png
20 KB, 459x156
It became popular so it's not cool to like it anyone.
>>
>>84186269
There was an issue with the showrunner not paying the animators and then throwing a tantrum when they unionized
>>
>>84188231
For one it was a musical episode based on reality tv shows. The poor characterization of Summer throughout the episode. Yet another pep talk from birdman. I liked the episode though, as the jokes were on point and that's what's important.
>>
What I dislike about R&M is the creator's obnoxious lack of a sincere & dedicated approach to the show. The creator's revel in their ironic detachment exemplified most of all in their improv episodes. As if preemptively shielding themselves from criticism by releasing something deliberately half-assed. It is emblematic to me of the creator's entire lack of genuine insight or a lack of conviction in their own ability. Which would be understandable given the personalities behind the show itself.

Half-assing is only real philosophy of the creators. The show is conceived & shaped through their click-bait understanding of science & the only partially digested nietzschean philosophy of the creators. It spouts the kind of lazy, autodidact, self-serving, personal philosophy of those weaned in the information-era. "Nothing really matters so do what you want"

It's a half-baked nihilism used to justify a shallow unexamined lifestyle of hedonistic "Dopamine is the greatest good". Ironically championed by those who consider themselves more knowledgeable than the rest of the world because they're armed with an internet connection and a wikipedia tab.

In other words. It's reddit.
>>
>>84188514
Bird person was fucking awesome tho.

F
>>
>>84188539
The improv episode was the best episode of the season though, because it allowed them to take a different approach. That wasn't half-assed.
It was half-assed in the second season.
>>
>hurr durr you hate it because its popular

I hate it because I think its shit, and the only reason people pretend it has depth is because of the OMG SOOOOO DEEP moments like Morty telling Summer everyone dies or Jerry and Beth needing each other yet hurting each other, because that isn't a common theme for dysfunctional couples in western media. I don't find farts and penises funny because I am not a child.

Get the fuck over yourselves.
>>
>>84188983
>>84188983
>>84188983
You OK, bro?
>>
>>84186269
Get Schwifty and Interdimensional Cable 2 were shit-tier, and Tiny Rick and Look Who's Ricking Now are so forgettable they are literally non-entities in my brain.
>>
Interdimensional Cable 2 wasn't very good. It crutched hard on Justin's really shitty improv, which can be funny in small doses but after awhile gets real old.
>>
Two things:

Caring more about what people took away from season one instead of coming up with more radically different ideas like they used to. As a result they recycled a lot of concepts but executed them worse every time:

>Going into dreams = going into microverses

>Entire population romantically interested in one guy, explosions, violence, fighting, end with our main character going through an existential crisis over contemporary song

>A bunch of wacky alien characters take over the smith family household

and so on

But the big one is affectation.

Since they've built these characters so nicely in S1, they don't go anywhere new with them in season 2, or even explain why we should care about them. The only thing the show is concerned with is creating 'moments' in the episodes that aren't earned through any kind of natural storytelling or character development (All of total Rickall, 'get Shwifty!', screaming sun, etc)

Often times they repeat themselves over and over again within the episode so that they stick in your mind. The writers not giving a shit about maintaining the characters makes people think they're going through 'arcs' despite that vein the viewer trying to make sense of things like Rick bit giving a shit about anything in the universe to suddenly being really concerned about his mortality. Even if there's a reason for it, it's never conveyed. We're just told 'they're feeling this way now' and were left to assume why.

It cheapens the quality of the show greatly when there's no genuine emotional connection trying to be built there, and it's just a bunch of shit people will quote to each other and hen forget in a year. Season 1 didn't really have that. It was just by virtue of the writers knowing what they were doing that all of those parts became memorable on their own.
>>
File: 1462465330373.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1462465330373.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>84188983
Yeesh
>>
>>84188514
I don't know how many people feel this way but I had a major problem with rick's interaction with the government. It felt really awkward, also water T isn't that funny.
>>
>>84188539
I don't blame the show for lacking a full understanding of true science. They're having fun, anon. It's a cartoon. What makes it interesting to me is that they are exploring some true-ish science concepts that usually get panned over by other shows because execs et al. are spooked they'll lose the audience.

And I get your point about the deliberate half-assedness, and I see it too. The improv episodes are quite filler-y. But I think (outside of the filler function) a lot of it is a veneer hiding how much thought they actually put into the show, especially the second season. They're trying not to look like tryhards, or something like that. I dunno, it doesn't feel cynical to me.
>>
>>84187982
>implying they made a second cable episode for the fans
Those assholes were just having fun with improvisational writing and you fucking know it.
>>
>>84188282
What is MLP:FiM and to a lesser extent, Steven Universe.
>>
>>84188983
You sound like someone who crafted an opinion of the show purely trough second hand experience. Did you actually watch it?
>>
File: timm.jpg (59 KB, 412x595) Image search: [Google]
timm.jpg
59 KB, 412x595
>>84188539
>>84188983
>>84189374
Here's your (You)s. I'm always curious when it comes to people like you that experience such vehement abhorrence.

If this show is bad, what is good? What achieves "real" depth, not 2deep4u depth? What's your favorite show anon?
>>
>>84188539
>I can't come up with a good argument about why I hate this show so I'll just call it Reddit
>>
File: 1453798784178.gif (1 MB, 172x162) Image search: [Google]
1453798784178.gif
1 MB, 172x162
...Seriously, a bait thread.
>>
I feel like it might develop into a completely different animal in the next 2 speak seasons, I really really enjoyed the finale even though it was grimdark emotional, it's very moral oral and I hope it continues
>>
>>84188090
First and only episode I've seen of season 2. Only reason I watched it was because the ATHF finale was on right afterwards.
>>
>>84187982
>Implying the How it's made parody wasn't worth everything
Go stick a plumbus up your naaph
>>
>>84190442
What? I gave a real answer. Season one needed you to like the characters to approve of the show. Season two didn't need to worry about that, so they did fuck all with characterization and as a result they got worse. The episodes revised a lot of concepts and appealed to isolated instances of affectation,!94 put simply they focused on shou has many memes-to-be to trick the viewer into thinking it was earned by means of coherent storytelling and character building.

Is any dissenting opinion just bait to you?
>>
>>84190597
i'm not gonna lie, i really enjoy the emotional scenes, both in this and Moral Oral

its nice to have ANIMATED TV FAMILY have actual problems instead of blindly just going to the next WACKY ADVENTURE

plus it makes Rick not seem so vastly capricious. i mean the man can jump from reality to reality and do all this crazy shit, but he still hates himself and mostly is just going through the motions trying to actually feel emotions instead of just getting fucked up
>>
*re used
*or put simply
*shoved
>>
It's fine, hating it is a meme.

Don't act like you fucks suddenly don't remember /pol/tards crying about Rick claiming god didn't exist. You people are all a bunch of soccer moms.
>>
>>84190473
>I'll just read the last sentence of a post
>That'll teach him!
>>
>>84191545
>it is a meme for someone to possibly disagree with me

Nuke this board from existence
>>
>>84186269
Interdimensional Cable 2, that's all.
>>
>>84191649
Oh shut the fuck up. Disliking it is one thing, but there was a steadily repeated shitpost about how mad they were that Rick didn't believe in God

Stop acting like your contrarian bullshit attitude automatically has a place here. If you weren't a newfag fresh from some other site you'd understand that people here turned hating Rick and Morty into a meme, plain and simple. It's a fucking joke at this point.
>>
>>84190378
This is always such a stupid fucking mentality, not what you are referring to but what you're claiming.

Maybe people just hate MLP because they aren't ponyfuckers or SU because it looks like artistic dogshit?
>>
>>84191815
It's the same show where he literally meets and bests Satan. I don't think he can give enough of a shit to even consider himself an atheist.

I think there's good reason to not like the direction the series is going. Jerry is set up as a borderline antagonist at this point, Morty starts having random violent tendencies, Beth can't get any character beyond she's an alcoholic, and Rick suddenly is concerned about his mortality when in the past he'd probably take five seconds to come up with an invention to beat it. I miss the Rick who said "to me this is all just a bit like when bugs bunny fucks with the opera singer for 20 minutes."

It's forced drama, and you the viewer trying to rationalize 'well he's with his family now so it's making him care more' is giving the show credit for conveying things that were absolutely never conveyed. You know why he really cares now? Because people liked the downbeat endings so we need more episodes that appeal to those people. It's affectation and I can't stress it enough. It's bending the foundations to pander to the audience even if everything that's set up in one episode contradicts the previous. And it cheapens the quality immensely.

I'm trying to give reasons why I don't like it to not sound like an ass, but maybe /co/ isn't the best place to do it
>>
>>84191815
Isn't Rick all over the place with that shit though, and people think he just contradicts himself a lot because of how much of an alcoholic he is?
>>
>>84186269
It became so popular that two things happened.
1. Because it was popular, contrarians started to dislike the show at full force (Reddit and Memey is their nickname of the show).
2. People were overhyping the show so much (eighth highest rated show on iMBd) that when season 2 didn't end up being better-than-Sopranos-level god tier, the quality seemed much worse that compared to the expectations despite it still being a great season.
>>
>>84186269
If you say anything but "half a season of material", you're playing a side of mass opinion forming.
>>
If Rick and Morty in The Purge didn't redeem the season, you have no sense of humor.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.