[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started reading this, all of it. What should I be expecting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Just started reading this, all of it. What should I be expecting?
>>
>>84175117
to be old before you're done
>>
>>84175117
Things go tits up so much they loop back into being down.
>>
>>84175182
I resume work in August so I got time.

>>84175188
But what about quality? Huge HPL fan tebehe.
>>
>>84175117
I'm re-reding BPRD and HB. and it is amazing, the art, the story, and all the little details are great, it is still one of the best things outhere.
>>
>>84175224
>I resume work in August

just say school
>>
>>84175274
No it's actually work. I work on an oil rig, odd months at home even ones on the restless seas.

>>84175260
BPRD and HB being...? I started from scratch basically.
>>
>>84175224
Quality is pretty much consistently excellent throughout, even all the spinoffs because Mignola has been involved in everything. There's no bullshit, when characters die they stay dead, when things go bad there are consequences and everything follows through. All the stories and characters are riveting, all the lore and mythology is great, and the more you're able to start piecing together the overarching mysteries over the course of the series the better it gets. It's probably the single best example of long form storytelling in comics that doesn't go off the rails. It's been going for 20+ years now and almost every single story in it has been great.
>>
>>84175293
There's Hellboy, BPRD, Hellboy & the BPRD, Hell on Earth, Hellboy in Hell, Abe Sapien, lots of others. You should probably just follow the reading order here or you'll get confused.
>>
>>84175316
OK, thanks. I have no knowledge on the thing beside the 2 films(which I loved) and that's about it. Haven't even read a comic book in ages, my work meant I only kept reading ebooks and shit for the past 2 years.

>>84175348
Real helpful, thanks lad.
>>
File: vXRAQpp5WRXMWvOp5xICsCpCCXw.jpg (68 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
vXRAQpp5WRXMWvOp5xICsCpCCXw.jpg
68 KB, 780x585
>>84175293
>I work on an oil rig

The state oil rig or the federal?
>>
>>84175379
The movies are entirely different from the comics so don't expect the same thing really. They do follow the tone and spirit but lots of aspects are pretty different. Perlman was a perfect Hellboy though.

Also it's not required to read anything in the reading order. To get the main gist of everything I'd recommend

>Hellboy library editions 1-6
>BPRD
>BPRD 1946-48
>BPRD Hell on Earth
>Hellboy in Hell

The rest are pretty optional but Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson are great. The Hellboy Weird Tales and other odd one-offs are also pretty awesome too but not required, and then the rest are solid reads too. Despite everything being "relatively" standalone, Hellboy in Hell is the apparent finale of Hellboy's story as a character so read that only after you finish the regular Hellboy material. Technically BPRD is a spinoff, Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth are its two mega-arcs so far and HoE is coming to a close before long.

It's a fantastic read all the way through, have fun anon!
>>
>>84175468
I'm a Youropoor, I work for a company in the Black Sea. And I of course meant oil platform, d'oh, but it's late here and I had so many coffees on the train home that I can't sleep.
>>
>>84175480
Thanks for all the info dude, that's more comprehensive than I ever expected
>>
>>84175117
>Not reading the Chronological Mignolaverse threads

It might be more fun if it's your first exposure.
>>
>>84175653
I've been /co/ off for what must be 2 or 3 years and even then I was more into DC shit than anything else.
Since then I went to the dark shithole they call /tv/ once in a blue moon so getting an honest response is genuinely nice. Especially since I'm bored shitless on the train ride home.
>>
Anyone got a mega link? Not finding any complete collections on usenet or through torrents
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.