[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Sympathetic villain turned two bit jewel theft JUST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
>Sympathetic villain turned two bit jewel theft

JUST
>>
Honestly, this was the best course of action The Batman could take besides just not using Freeze. If they used the BtAS origin, people would just complain that it was copying BtAS.
>>
>>84162545
The head obscured in an iceberg is a cool design though
>>
>>84162545

>sympathetic

Freeze is a fucking unrepentant mass-murderer, I fail to see how that's sympathetic. Because he lost his wife? Give me a break. That's like calling Harley Quinn sympathetic when she'll murder you in broad daylight for mildly inconveniencing her, and won't even feel bad about it.

He puts innocent civilians through hell time and time again. Fuck him and fuck his dog of a wife.
>>
>>84162545

actually this is far closer to his original depiction, except made more badass and cruel.

The tragic origin was made for BTAS and ended up becoming the version people like most.
>>
>>84162663
>Freeze is a fucking unrepentant mass-murderer, I fail to see how that's sympathetic. Because he lost his wife? Give me a break. That's like calling Harley Quinn sympathetic when she'll murder you in broad daylight for mildly inconveniencing her, and won't even feel bad about it.

Uh...have you ever talked to any of Harley Quinn's fans? They pretty much do this.
>>
>>84163133
Yeah but Freeze doesn't have a waifuable personality or tits. Killer Frost does, and she's basically exactly the same as he described Freeze if not historically even worse, and sure enough people treat her the same as Harley.
>>
>>84162545
NOTMUH
>>
>>84163149
GODDESS SNOW IS PURE AND GOOD YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH
>>
The original comic book Freiz was a jewel thief, however. Like Harley Quinn, sympathetic Freiz was borrowed from Batman: The Animated series.
>>
>>84162545
That's what he was before BTAS though, put your not muh away
>>
File: 1321226138.jpg (44 KB, 640x441) Image search: [Google]
1321226138.jpg
44 KB, 640x441
Taking the sad backstory away from Mr. Freeze is like taking the thin counter-intuitive veneer of badassery away from Captain Cold, or making Captain Boomerang a nice person. You can do it, and that might be how the character was originally conceived, but I don't see how anyone can see it as anything other than a step backwards.
>>
>>84162545
that's Freeze's original shtick though. What were they supposed to do slavishly stick to BtAS's canon?

hell their version of the joker has grown on me.
>>
>>84162545
This is the one show where the artists ruined the characters more than the stories did
>>
>>84163347
>Implying any of them were bad

Next you're going to say they didn't use the right color for Clayface
>>
>>84162545
>everyone complains about unsympathetic Mr. Freeze
>no one complains about unsympathetic Harvey Dent in Beware the Batman

Is this due to execution or something?
>>
>>84163802
What? I've seen a lot of people complain about Harv being an asshole. I guess the only difference is that Two-Face fans are a very quiet minority compared to the cartoonfags who remember "Heart of Ice"
>>
The issue isn't NOT MUH, it's that they took away the BTAS origin and replaced it with literally nothing. Instead of taking it THEIR own bold direction, they did jack shit and called it a day.

Whether or not you like The Batman's version of The Joker, it was a distinct and bold choice and they stuck to it. Freeze got turned into a generic nothing.
>>
He just regressed to his pre-BTAS thing
>>
>>84163955
>Freeze got turned into a generic nothing.

So, just like Freeze before BTAS then.
>>
I appreciate the fact that this show wanted to go in their own direction instead of just copying what BTAS had done, but in almost every case, BTAS handled the characters better. I did like The Batman's version of Killer Croc - a lot of that had to do with Ron Perlman doing a good job as his voice actor and having fun with the role though.
>>
>>84163802
Sorta. Dent was a jackass, but was an entertaining jackass in how deluded he was into thinking he wasn't one. Freeze was just meh aside from a neat design.
>>
>>84162545

It wasn't just that he was a jewel thief. He also kept making stupid ice puns constantly. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a spoof of the Schwarzenegger version of the character, but whatever their intention was, it didn't work.
>>
>>84163988

Regression isn't usually considered a good thing.
>>
>Freeze sympathetic

Tell that to the cops and random by-standers he killed. Gotham Central's first arc was about how much of an unrepentant asshole he is.
>>
>>84163133

And? He's pointing out how nonsensical it is. Harley's fans are nonsensical, Freeze's fans are nonsensical. The two are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>84163845
>best Batman villain
>quiet minority

shame
>>
>>84162610
This.
>>
>>84162545
So basically Freeze written again how he used to be.
>>
>>84164944

Yea, the way that caused him to be ignored and forgotten for decades
>>
>>84162610
I think people would *note* that it was copying BtAS, not complain. We rather like BtAS Freeze, after all.
>>
I see Captain Cold fans are still upset that Freeze surpassed him in popoularity outside of hispter circles of course
>>
>>84164967
Well at least his design here looked better.
>>
>>84164039
And the final cherry on the sundae was Batman actually wearing his Arctic Assault Thermal Underwear Batsuit(tm) to fight him. That was the moment I stopped watching the show as a tween. Even BaTB took the piss out of that sorta shit.
>>
File: Freeze.jpg (55 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Freeze.jpg
55 KB, 630x420
>>84165151
>shitting on based Mike Mignoila design
KYS
>>
>>84165196
Yeah, because defeating Mr. Freeze with hot tea/soup is sooo much better.
>>
>>84165337

Yea it was
>>
>>84162545
New 52 version was worse
>You like GOAT emotional backstory villain with a heart of gold Mr Freeze
>yeah too bad, he doesn't have a wife and just has a psychotic obsession with some frozen woman
>oh and he kills indiscriminately instead of freezing people because he knows it will slow Batman down to unthaw them
>>
>>84165377
you're nostalgiafagging pretty hard m8
>>
>>84164967
Ignored, forgotten, and actually killed off by...I believe it was the Joker.

Then BtAS happened and Freeze was just so awesome in it that the comics contrived a way to bring him back to life.

>>84165151
It is true that an opinion cannot really be right or wrong. But an opinion CAN be shit.

This, gentlemen, is a shit opinion.

>>84165337
Ever take something really cold and put it on something really hot? Science, motherfucker.
>>
>>84165212
Was this actually designed by Mignoila? I mean now that you point it out I can definitely see similarities to his style, but I didn't know it was actually him.
>>
>>84165424
>Science, motherfucker
>throwing chicken soup in his face is better than making a new suit to take him down
jeez
>>
>>84162663
*tips fedora*
>>
>>84165442

Yes.

>>84165468

From a more cynical perspective, having a bunch of suits and vehicles like this that only show up in one episode seems like pandering to toy manufacturers who are trying to sell more crap to the audience. If the show starts to feel like an infomercial, it becomes less enjoyable to watch.
>>
File: 1462865049394.jpg (453 KB, 957x1419) Image search: [Google]
1462865049394.jpg
453 KB, 957x1419
>>84163149
>>84163161
Killer Frost is way worse than Harley or Freeze combined. She has on at least one occasion tried to kill all life on Earth.

She is also literally straight up insane and is probably more sympathetic than Harley.
>>
>>84163802
Harvey was awful in BTB but Two-Face was incredible.
>>
>>84163988
>>84164238

This reminds me of the people who defended Lords of Shadow as being a shitty linear game over SOTN-style Castlevanias because it was "closer to the originals"
>>
>>84165576
He used the suit in another episode. And he didn't even use it because he was fighting Freeze, it was just winter.
>>
>>84165576
>implying you cant sell the soup that brought down mr freeze
million dollar idea right here, lad.
>>
>>84165609
keep your Cucklevania autism confined to /vr/
>>
>>84165576

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyetic
>>
>>84162545
This is why he's a shitty character.

He has nothing but his backstory, and if change the backstory then people throw fits, but if you keep the backstory and try a story that makes him less sympathetic (i.e. stealing shit, killing people, etc), then he's still a dangerous criminal.

He should either be ignored or killed if the backstory is already done.
>>
>>84162610

Beware the Batman tried going this route by not using any of the popular villains and it backfired on them.
>>
Man, TAS was so good, it had no right being so fucking good.
>>
Last time I checked, franchise iterations were allowed to be different, OP. Quit being pissy.
>>
>>84165576
>>84165620
That's something I loved about The Batman. Most of the stuff that was obviously made for toys actually got reused multiple times in situations that made sense to rather than being one-offs. It gave the series a sense of progression with Bruce slowly amassing a larger array of gadgets and equipment.
>>
>>84164396
You're talking to people who don't read comics here. freeze in gotham central was pretty gnarly tho, I like how he froze that one dude from the inside out
>>
>>84166723
How? What killed the show was Snyder cancelling all action cartoons. The rating weren't bad at all, and nothing that warranted taking the show off the schedule.
>>
>>84168806
It wasn't good desu senpai
>>
File: hail ants.jpg (12 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
hail ants.jpg
12 KB, 300x200
>>84168844

Dude I loved you in Ant Man.
>>
>>84168844
Since when does quality affect a show's length?
>>
>>84165609
The first one was a good game. And this is coming from a metroidvania addict
>>
>>84163186
The problem with that is that Freeze really wasn't that good before the BTAS origin. He was basically every other ice themed villain and had nothing interesting to him.

There was even that comic where Joker gets out and kills Freeze, the whole joke being that Freeze sucks.
>>
>>84168947
>GOW clone
>good

get better taste
>>
>>84162663
There's a difference between Harley and Freeze.
Harley was a woman who was bent and molded by a psychopath to be a killer. Sure, you can feel bad for her circumstances, but ultimately its her fault.
Freeze on the other hand was a normal guy who was trying to save someone he loved, a very relatable goal, that was then ruined by a smug asshole that permanently ruined his life.
Hes a man who's sympathetic first, murderer second, unlike Harley's murderer first, sympathetic second. I know many people who would snap and kill someone that killed their beloved. I dont know many people that would voluntarily talk to a man who's killed hundreds and then bend over for his dick.
>>
>>84169058

A lot of people who like Harley see her as someone who needs to be saved. It's like girls who like "bad boy" characters like Loki - they think that they're going to be able to save them with their love or some such nonsense.
>>
>>84170660
*tips sidecut*

sure smells tumblr in here
>>
>>84170832
what the fuck are you talking about?
That anon is perfectly reasonable in his assertions.
>>
File: Xgka5.gif (117 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
Xgka5.gif
117 KB, 311x366
>>84170849
>>
>>84170903
what the fuck are you talking about?
A lot of Harley's fans see her as someone that they can save. Its a super common thing, similar to women who go after the badboy to "fix" them. Take your fucking le triggering out of here, and stop pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: Ul3BJxv.gif (781 KB, 202x244) Image search: [Google]
Ul3BJxv.gif
781 KB, 202x244
>>84170950
shes going all out
>>
File: pretending to be retarded.jpg (26 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
pretending to be retarded.jpg
26 KB, 349x642
>>84170992
I genuinely dont understand what's POSSIBLY tumblr about what was said. Its fucking common psychology. A person sees a problem and they believe that they can fix it.
Are you perhaps a Harley fan that just cant admit that's the reason you like her, or what?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (20 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
20 KB, 200x200
>>84171052
>>
File: Disgusting.jpg (230 KB, 719x960) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.jpg
230 KB, 719x960
>>84171073
so youre just retarded then, gotcha.
>>
>>84171073
>>84170992
>>84170903
This is some pretty low effort trolling

but..

>>84170950
Dude, the frogposter is obvious troll. Way to get baited.
>>
I liked Firefly's costume.
>>
>>84162545

So they went back even further to his thing in the Adam West show and back when he was called Mr. Zero. So what?

You can only ride the NORAAAAAAA train for so long
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.