[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussion on comic con and it's current state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: broodingman.jpg (49 KB, 600x572) Image search: [Google]
broodingman.jpg
49 KB, 600x572
Title. Comic con coming around for san diego and desu I'm dreading it. It has become such a cesspool of tumblr kids, pop culture media events and I know I won't see anything cool as hall H is now full of supernatural fags who wait in line 2 days before. I'm fine with people just going because it's comic con but it's the fake nerds that piss me off. I met up with a friend last year and I'm a pretty big comic book fan and she said "oh wow is that joker!?" and pointed to green lantern. Shit like that gets me tilted

Post best comic con moments bc honestly as a younging I feel like I missed out when I hear my LCS owners talk about it.
>>
>>84158874
No real point in going to comic con anymore, unless you really want that certain figure with that certain signature. Even then you'd have to be a super fan to even care to spend that kind of time and money. Nowadays comic con is basically big bang theory levels of "wow look im a nERD"
>>
I stopped going when the center focal point of the entire con was a Snakes on a Plane mega display. Anybody remember that? 2005, maybe 2006 SDCC? It dawned on me how completely far away from my interests it had become, and how painfully shrunken the bargain comic bin booths had become while nerd t-shirt booths quadrupled every year.

Thankfully that year I got to meet both Sgt Slaughter and Stan Sakai, both of whom are awesome.
>>
I wanted to go last year to meet some comic book artist and writers and my fucking friend strung me around to his stupid ass lego lines and I never gotta see who I wanted.
>>
>>84158972
Yea, I agree. All my friends ask me why I don't go anymore "you love comics!!!" Yea I do but comic con is something entirely different.
>>
Being a Nerd has become increasingly mainstream and brought in a far greater breadth of individuals, but ever present and ever growing are the large swarms of socially inept individuals, be they fans or casuals, who turn these events in exhausting lemming drives full of booths with generic merch that can be found anywhere or at least at every other booth at the con at outrageous prices.

There's no longer anything you can do at a con that you can't do anywhere else other than openly cosplay in public and meet & greet weary celebrities.
>>
>>84159469
Yea I agree, it's cool to be a "nerd." People have become so devoid of hobbies they are appropriating ours.

I'm not one of those, FUCK NEW COMERS OLD COMIC FANS FOR LIFE though, Big difference
>>
Anyone got stories about their favorite comic con moments? I've read the post about when it first started and seemed really cool and low key.

desu most fun I have had is the threads here when someone sneaks in and leaks everything on periscope for us
>>
Yes, ComicCons are focused on /tv/ and /v/ content instead of /co/ content, it's true. But it's not like they are the only comic conventions available.

We just had HeroesCon the other week and I didn't see a single thread for it on /co/, even though
>HeroesCon focuses primarily on comic books, almost to the exclusion of TV, movies, and video games seen at most other major so-called comic book conventions.[3][4]

I guess we know where /co/'s priorities really lay.
>>
ITT

dudes who can't let go of past ostracization and accept that people like the shit they once got picked on for, even if its only on a surface level.

I used to be like you, until I realized there were better things in life than bitching to anons about my hobby such as enjoying my hobby
>>
File: 1449353123652.png (169 KB, 575x446) Image search: [Google]
1449353123652.png
169 KB, 575x446
I tried to get order a badge yesterday when I remembered Comic Con was coming up. Surprise surprise, it's all sold the fuck out.

I was kinda pissed for five minutes, because I specifically registered an account around the same time last year for the exact purpose of ordering a badge. Can't even do the volunteer bullshit like I did back in 2012, because that's full-up, too. Never got a notification when they went up for sale, never got a notification when they sold out. Don't even know when these fucking things are supposed to go up for sale at all, and who are these goddamn scalpers buying up all the badges? Sucks that I also actually live in San Diego, it's only a 45 minute drive.

Then, I remember what it was like the last few times I was at Comic Con. So much walking, overpriced refreshments, too autistic to say hi the comic/internet celebrities, had to carry a heavy bag of worthless crap that was probably not worth reselling on eBay anyway, nothing I really wanted to buy since it's all meme-y plastic crap at this point. It's crowded to the brim, and most of the exhibits are just fancy commercials for useless collectible shit I don't want to buy and the whole experience is overrated. Fuck that.

Then I remembered that I originally wanted to go alone for the first time and cosplay as something cool, like maybe something from a video game or some shit. It's on my bucket list, I guess. I never cosplayed before, but I want to. Then, I remember it's all of the last paragraph, plus being stopped every five feet for some random schmuck pedo to take 200 pictures of you. I went with some cosplaying friends one time, this happens, I can confirm. So... well shit.

Fuck Comic-Con. You can call it a case of "Fox and the Grapes", but I think I just walked away from another headache for the summer.
>>
>>84159791
I mean I never got picked on for liking comics lol.
>>
>>84159451
> All my friends ask me

Nice try, by you're not fooling me! I'm a detective!
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 225x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 225x338
>>84160037
>plus being stopped every five feet for some random schmuck pedo to take 200 pictures of you.

Hold it! If you're on 4chan, then why would pedos be taking pictures of you? Could it be that you are UNDERAGE?
>>
Can somebody explain to me the point of nerd shit conventions? Aside from being a marketing platform for companies what is the point of these autistic gatherings? Doesn't internet fill the exact same role already?
>>
>>84158874
Henry Cavill is such a good looking guy.

Not even gay.
>>
>>84161150
It's true. It's still a bit weird for me because his facial structure is similar to my father's.
>>
>>84159791
I never got picked on for liking comics. Maybe stop projecting?
>>
>>84161150

Dudes great as a person too from what I gather, goal mode physique.
>>
>>84161125
They make money on merch and the price of admission.
>>
>>84161125
It's neat meeting people who share the same interests as you in person. Maybe even meeting up with online friends you've never seen before because they live in Texas or New York.

Meeting creators is also neat, a lot of the big names are used to all this shit and have the fake smile ready but there's still a few that are really cool. Plus most of the small timers love it when fans come and chat with them over their obscure bit of media.
>>
Comic Con isn't about comics anymore and hasn't been since almost two decades ago.
>>
>>84161315

So it's a whole load of things you could do without having to pay exorbitant fees and meeting some nobodies that don't really give a shit about you aside from how much of their content you consumed?

Well I'm a pretty boring person myself so it's probably me just being overly cynical.
>>
>>84161417
Well it's kind of difficult to find a place with the same level of gathering of people without paying such fees.

But the creators I've met were pretty chill people, not all of them are, but a good number of them genuinely give a shit about their fans. Chatted with one artist about their favorite video games and shit, just small talk.

Fuck I'd love to meet the guy who does Kill Six Billion Demons, he seems like a cool motherfucker.

It's definitely not the be-all end-all experience of enjoying some form of media but it is an experience a lot of people do genuinely enjoy.
>>
File: sour grapes fox.png (736 KB, 836x981) Image search: [Google]
sour grapes fox.png
736 KB, 836x981
So is this thread just full of people who are crying bitter tears because they can't afford or lucked out, and now just have to shit talk it and how they're better off without it?

I've been going to SDCC since a year before it moved to its current location, so since 1989. I've been going there for almost 30 years in a row.
Nothing has really changed since it moved to its location, except for growth in panels, booths, and people. Video games, TV, movies, and random junk has always been there with the comics. Since 2000, the comic part of Comic Con really hasn't changed though, while there has been growth in all areas. This is when SDCC started becoming more commercialized, starting with Lord of the Rings.
Since 2008 or so, more "casuals" have been going, and meeting famous creators has become harder to do. Before i was able to just walk up to them and get a sketch from Maxwell Atoms and other cartoon creators after a panel ended. It was always a great meet and greet time. Now they get shuffled away by the staff, even when they want to stick around.
And that's really SDCC's problem now, in that there's just too many people and most of these people only come to see hollywood famous person.

I've met so many people at SDCC and some of them just tagalong with me, since i know my way around. Had a granny once grabbing onto me while i bulled my way through a room after each panel ended, just ot get better seats. She'd talk about how she's knows various hollywood people because she owns a boutique there and then fall asleep as creators like Bendis talked on stage. What was she there for? Spartacus. So for 3 hours, she'd fall asleep while i enjoyed comic stars talk, hold on to me while i moved around to get closer to the stage, and then yammer a bit about her trips, son, and how she met so and so.
Every year since 2008, I've seen and met more and more people who don't care about comic con except to meet hollywood actors. That's the only change I've noticed for the worst.
>>
>>84161010
I look like a 13 year old Japanese schoolgirl, of course every autistic gorilla is going to come flock over to me.

I'm a 26 year old man
>>
>>84159425
Why didn't you fuck off on your own or tell your friend that you wanted to see some other shit?
>>
All the issues in this thread can be said about PAX.

Whether comic book media or video games, the conventions don't deliver on the deep exclusive content of those things anymore that can't be had anywhere else.

Panels are recorded and posted online, albeit not exactly in an organized fashion, so you can get them from home without having to mold away in a lineup for fucking hours to get it. And the thing is, the panels are fucking terrible now because the audience that gets up to ask questions ask the most useless questions that can be answered when the product is released. There's nothing deep or academic but questions like, "Who's your favorite character" horseshit.

>>84161456
See, this is the right idea, to find and meet those obscure people who won't be mobbed and you can actually get a tidbit of time with.

This isn't the 60s where counter-culture and hippies (which I'm comparing nerds to) are sharing new ideas all the time. We have the Internet now. New things get shared the moment they're available, which means that conventions need to up their game in terms of providing excitement to people who aren't ignorant and capable of doing research.

The cosplay has always been excellent but like people have said people are just using you like the Statue of Liberty - take a photo just to say you were there. I honestly get more excitement every year during Halloween at a moderately sized (100+ people) party I attend and see finely dedicated costume people I know than I did for Comic Con because those people are genuine; there's no incentive attention whoring at a fucking party compared to Comic Con; there's no disappointment. Because quite frankly cosplay at Comic Con (and PAX) is disposable, people jumping from one exciting thing to another and though you have conversations nothing is lasting.
>>
>>84160037

Are you a hot (legal) petite girl?
>>
Always wanted to go to Comic-Con at least once, maybe cosplay. I see people talk about it being exhausting and people being annoying and embarrassing, or just shitheads but I imagine it'd be fun to go at least once. I'm just average looking but I've sorta got a physique that could fit Spider-Man. Been told I should be the Flash though.
>>
>>84158874
>it's the fake nerds that piss me off
Oh, fuck off. If they went out of their way to get those SDCC tickets, that means they at least have some drive.
>>
>>84159791
But i never got picked on for reading comics. But atleast liking anime and manga is still pretty taboo nowdays so i am fine with that.
>>
>>84162124
More like most of the questions now are "Why isn't character ___"

Fill in the blank with gender, race, or sexuality of choice.
>>
>>84159773
Might have gotten deleted.

Mods are Nazis when it comes to conventions. They go to either /soc/ or meetups or /cgl/ so there's rarely a thread that survives here despite being the comics board.
>>
>>84161885
>Wanting to hear Bendis talk
>>
>>84162719
Christ.

While I've never encountered that yet I've lined up for hours only to have some retards waste successive five minutes of time asking about meaningless crap like that. Never exposing myself to that again.

There comes a point where life stops being about being the first person to get to a certain life experience. There is literally nothing at Comic Con or PAX that can't be had at a later date. Discovering that some character is transgendered or whatever the shit people want can happen six months from now whereas an in depth question about a character's development arc from the mouth of the author can happen never. And people squander these opportunities to get those answers on the record.

My friends and I just don't bother organizing vacation and money for airfare and lodgings only to be disappointed at Comic Con. You can just bank all the news from that event, read about it months after the fact, and talk about it over barbecue over a weekend.

Comic Con used to be an adventure. But Cons are no longer adventures, not with the Internet that provides all the same text, audio, and picture value. And I'm just not willing to pay or use my vacation time for anything short of adventure. Taking fine cooking classes, studying martial arts overseas and at various gyms around the country, accessing and exploring crazy parts of the world and experiencing the last vestiges of a dying culture before it is regulated to academia and history books.

What happened to nerd culture happened to every other culture that became shit - it got celebrities and the audience became too obsessed with crap that doesn't matter. Owning the most useless pins and t-shirts and other religious-esque accumulation of paraphernalia became substitutes for sitting down and recklessly obsessing over every facet of a story.
>>
File: tired nerd.jpg (88 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
tired nerd.jpg
88 KB, 750x500
>>84162812
he was with someone else, i think, and stan lee was before or after his panel.
It was worth it. Pretty informative and entertaining.

Even got a free issue of Scarlet from him, which was going for like a hundred dollars on ebay when the HBO/Showtime series was announced (prices have calmed since then). Not a bad read, and no, i didn't sell it.

>>84162940
sheesh.
That's a mighty large hose you're spraying paint over conventions as being bad.
I can't say that you can't find what you want online from any panels or going ons at booths, since i provide video online too, but I know i get requests all the time for certain things that i didn't bother recording. I'm sure someone has recordings of why Grim from Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy had to be white, but i've never seen it online.

There's so much stuff going on at these conventions it's impossible for you to find everything online. There's a ton of things for you to do, see, and experience at most any convention. I've met so many people in the industry just by waiting in line and other random places. I've met hollywood celebs just walking around the halls and sitting against walls like so many other teenagers on the floor

You might as well be saying it's pointless going to Paris because there's so many documentaries and images of it online.
So much safer to stay in your home, instead of getting blown up by ISIS or getting your shit stomped by racist paris cops.
>>
I haven't been to SDCC since 2013.
I'd like to go back, but I know it'll never be as good as it could be.

Some people wish that they split up SDCC into two weeks, one week dedicated to comics alone and another week dedicated to pop culture and all that jazz. I'd like to see them try something like that at least once.
>>
>>84161917
How'd you manage to pull that off? :^)
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.