[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the MCU Thor movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8
File: Thor_poster_02.jpg (388 KB, 1080x1600) Image search: [Google]
Thor_poster_02.jpg
388 KB, 1080x1600
What do you think of the MCU Thor movies?
>>
better than most people say but nothing great

Forgettable but not offensively bad
>>
I love the humor but think the Thor romance is the weakest of the bunch by far. Take away the romance and you have a much better movie.
>>
>>84122392
Literally jonah hex/catwoman tier bad. The Marvel logo saved it and it came out right when the MCU hype machine was at its highest. It's a really awful piece of shit.
>>
Thor 1 is severely underrated. It's absolutely gorgeous visually, the plot is very focused and it has something almost no other MCU movie has which is a great villain. Thor's journey through the film may be very conventional and the corny Jane romance is a real your mileage may vary affair but they're far from deal breakers in a movie with good action, good comedy and a great look. In retrospect definitely among the greater films to come from the MCU.

Thor 2 is kinda junk but it's still a guilty pleasure for me.
>>
I couldn't finish the first one. Didn't see the second one.
>>
>>84122514
Everything Thor did, Green lantern did better. Think about that.
>>
they're basically the chick flick equivalent in the MCU. They're not bad movies but the tone and theme are quite different than the rest of the MCU and most cape movies in general.
>>
>>84122541
I'm trying but that statement just isn't making sense to me.
>>
>>84122525
>actually believing this
opinion disregarded
>>
>>84122563
Oa looked gorgeous and the alien designs were awesome. The green lantern outfit actual looked like an alien construct. I really can't think of a single good thing I could say about Thor, outside of Hiddleton being the only one in the movie that didn't phone it in.
>>
>>84122514
As well as having a great villain it also features actual heroism and self sacrifice instead of being a Bourneish political thriller.
>>
If they weren't part of a tied universe, I would never watch them.
>>
>>84122614
I still haven't seen Thor 2 because of how bad the first one is. These are kid movies, you can still understand things even if you don't watch all of them.
>>
File: Hahaha.jpg (114 KB, 872x720) Image search: [Google]
Hahaha.jpg
114 KB, 872x720
>>84122631
>This movie isn't mature enough for mature viewers such as myself like my other children's comic book movies.
>>
>>84122579
>>84122670
>DON'T TALK ABOUT ABOUT HEMSWORTH-SAMA!!!1 ;_;
>>
>>84122392
Loved the first one, very glad I didn;t pay to see the second one.
>>
>>84122583
Thor's CGI actually looked fucking real.

The climax battle in The Dark World had more inventiveness to it than the sum totality of Green Lantern.

Thor actually had bits I can remember.
>>
Thor 1 maybe not widely received, I agree with others who say it's underrated

Dark World was cool, but they were saying the same thing for Dark World that they are saying for Ragnorok

>Thors gonna show you all the realms!

We barely saw shit in Dark World

What we need are more feats of power. I'd say the only thing Thor has done that gives him a reason to be featured as an Avenger is go toe to toe with Hulk and him "lighting up the bastards" and one shotting those Leviathan things from Avengers 1.

I need to see MCU Thor take it to 11 at this point or he's weak as shit.
>>
>>84122684
I was laughing more at the implication that all other MCU movies aren't also children's movies.
>>
>>84122631
I hate Thor 1, but Thor 2 was okay. I have no intention of ever watching it again by itself, and don't remember anything that happened in it, but it was better than Thor 1.
>>
>>84122583
>Oa looked gorgeous

My main exposure to Oa is actually the original Hal Jordan-era comics, I don't real much Lantern otherwise. Keeping that in mind Oa is emphatically *not* gorgeous. It's just varying shades of black, gray, and green, lots of dark clouds, and lots of crystals. Meh.

Asgard is gorgeous. Bright colors, inspiring shapes, distinct buildings...Asgard looks a million times better than Oa.
>>
>>84122748
>Thor actually had bits I can remember.
I remember nothing except for thor getting hit by a car a few times, him taking his shirt off a lot, and lokis actor actually acting when he was yelling at hopkins. I remember more shit from GL than I do for Thor. By no means am I even saying that green lantern was good, of course it was bad, but it had way more to offer than Thor did and had more shit that I could at least look at. I would see green lantern again, you couldn't pay me anything to see Thor again.
>>
>>84122583
Trying to argue that Green Lantern is better than Thor is like trying to argue that a near death cancer patient would beat a fairly fit amateur boxer in a fight.
>>
Thor movies feel incomplete, they're like extremely long trailers. If you offered me a million dollars, I couldn't name a single supporting character.
>>
>>84122514
>it has something almost no other MCU movie has which is a great villain
I liked Loki in Thor 1 and 2 (didn't like Whedon's version, too shallow and mostly just comic relief), but I personally think Robert Redford played the best MCU villain.

I get your sentiment that Thor was a movie that allowed itself to be about heroics, but Alexander Pierce hits closer to home in a post-9/11 world than Loki does. Steven Moffat once classified Doctor Who villains as either scary or cool. Loki is a cool villain, Pierce is a scary villain in what he represents and his political power.
>>
>>84122870
I wouldn't ever expect to win that argument on a fag board like /co/. Also lol at comparing the Thor movie to a "fairly fit amateur boxer". You can just get the fuck out with that.
>>
>>84122670

I don't think the poster you're replying to is lamenting the Thor movies being kids movies, but rather saying that all of the mcu movies are simple enough to be able to skip some without becoming unable to figure out the themes or plot of the rest
>>
>>84122936
This is what I was saying.
>>
>>84122847
>I NEED A HORSE!
>This drink, I like it. ANOTHER!
>Heimdal requests your presence. We're doomed.

There is actual witty banter in Thor and scenes that got a chuckle out of me. The only line I remember from GL is "There's water in the...tap." and that only because it was in the trailer.
>>
>>84122392
Brannagh's Asgard scenes were great for their family dynamics, Taylor's Asgard scenes felt like epic second-world fantasy.

Earth was shit in both. If they mean what they say about Ragnarok being set 90% in space, it should be a better movie. They said something similar about The Dark World though, so I'm not getting too excited.
>>
>>84122889
He was just a dime a dozen political thriller evil dude in a suit and the MCU has plenty of those. The only other MCU villain that's not completely vapid in my view is Zemo.
>>
File: thor2trailer-caps-18.jpg (208 KB, 1280x534) Image search: [Google]
thor2trailer-caps-18.jpg
208 KB, 1280x534
>>84122514
Thor 2 was as gorgeous as the first one.
>>
>>84122392
they're pretty bad
They both feel like Soap Operas to me
>Muh inheritance
>Muh Jane
>Muh honor

The only thing I remember from the 2 movies is that during the climax of 2 Thor get tossed away and then rides the London Underground back to the fight.
who's idea was that?
>>
>>84122453
fpbp

I think that being the least interesting part of the MCU puts them as low-hanging fruits, and people jump at the opportunity to bash them, but both movies have a bunch of things going for them, and at most their biggest sin is not being worse so they'd be more entertaining.

The romantic subplots suck, but they are the only genuinely "bad" things about it. Everything else is well handled, and they don't take that much screentime.

You can tell that the second suffered from a lot of meddling, which is unfortunate, but doesn't make it any better.

I was gonna skip the third in the cinema, but they brought my favourite director, so now I'm really fucking hype for it.
>>
>>84123023
Is someone evil if he doesn't know he is evil?
>>
>>84123023
I personally appreciated it more for the role reversal.
>>
Enjoyed the Asgard scenes a lot in both movies.

Too bad they felt the need to add in so much fucking Earth shit. Ruined the Thor franchise for me, I really hope Ragnarok will be set entirely away from Earth.
>>
>>84123030
Thor 1 looked like a buffy episode most of the time, and in Asgard the green-screen was badly edited-out.

Thor 2, colour and photography-wise at least, is probably the best-looking MCU movie, right next to Guardians. The deep red cape in S#$&%heim and London grey was gorgeous.
>>
the second one must be the blandest movie of all time because i can't remember i thing about it
>>
>>84123098
Not to mention the awful shit plastic looking costumes they had.
>>
>>84123098
>Thor 2, colour and photography-wise at least, is probably the best-looking MCU movie
The only issue I had in this regard was the Dark World. They filmed in a beautiful location in Iceland only to edit the sky with a crappy yellow-black filter. I get it's the "Dark World" but it looks like something out of a network show.
>>
>>84123098
Agreed with this. Visually, Thor 2 is the best one in the MCU in my opinion.

Asgard looked especially great and the Frigga funeral was gorgeous.
>>
>>84123137
Heh, it felt appropriately putrid, but I'll agree it wasn't Dark enough. I liked how it contrasted with Loki's green.

>>84123115
It had very few "moments", it's true. The implosion grenades, the Mjolnir coat-hanger gag and the floating truck were cool, but forgettable. Mjolnir Zooming across space because of the portals was pretty neat too, but intercut with the wacky cast.
>>
>>84123098
>>84123030
>>84123137
>/co/ neckbeards in charge of discussing cinematography
Embarassing.
I bet you think Snyder's movies have good cinematography too.
>>
>>84122392
They are garbage, the Chick Flicks of Marvel.
>>
>>84123401
What films do you think contain good cinematography? What do they do better than cape films? Hate fucktards like you that try and shut down discussion with shallow posts. At least fucking engage with the conversation.
>>
>>84123401
Oh shit, it's fucking Emanuel Lubezki!

W-we're sorry we offended you with our relative comments towards a series of movies.

I hope you forgive us and go back to sucking Inharritu's dick.
>>
File: 1474570651038.jpg (389 KB, 2000x1389) Image search: [Google]
1474570651038.jpg
389 KB, 2000x1389
>>84123454
Watch Skyfall if you want to see a movie with actually good cinematography, and not the generic-at-best shit they put out on capeshit.

Nothing wrong with liking superhero movies, we all love to see the heroes on the big screen, but please, don't pretend the cinematography of any of them is close to being good.
>>
>>84123454
I have a feeling he's a troll trying to pretend to be me, the dude that hates these movies.
>>
>>84123490
Thank you. Looks good.

There is NOTHING wrong with liking the cinematography of a cape film, not everyone has a scholarly view on films. I liked the way Thor 2 looked, sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
>>
>>84123490
I will watch Skyfall, but most of the shots of your grid are hardly impressing.
>>
>>84123738
>capeshitter shit-talking about Roger Deakins
Embarassing.
>>
>>84122392
This entire franchise could have been LotR in space but no,lets focus on this shitty relationship between Jane and Thor.

Sif is best girl
>>
For a lack of a better word, they're fine. Nothing spectacular but nothing God awful either, it's a movie you probably won't buy on blue ray but something you'd watch on basic cable. They're perfect movies for background noise when you're doing work at home
>>
>>84123490
Why did Spectre have to be so uninteresting?
I won't call it bad because I liked parts of it but fuck it's such a let down
>>
>>84123755
/tv/ pls forgive them for they know not what they do
>>
File: 1464574678908.jpg (934 KB, 5760x2424) Image search: [Google]
1464574678908.jpg
934 KB, 5760x2424
>>84123839
Fatigue, maybe?
It was the third movie for Sam Mendes, Craig was obviously tired as fuck of playing Bond, for some reason they didn't get back Deakins even though the budget for Spectre was higher.
>>
I think they've achieved a minimal metric of production and story quality that assures us of a generally enjoyable cinema going experience.

The flip side being, their brand now so well established, any gems they produce get dulled in the miasma, and any missteps end up largely obfuscated by it.

All in all though I'm very glad Marvel's experiment with shared world continuity building on the silver screen seems to have worked.
>>
Thor 1 is mediocre. I generally call it utter shite, but after re watching it I realized it's not completely awful....it's generally "ok" in all the asgardian scenes, any scene involving jane and her camp is cringe worthy and drags what's only an OK film to begin with down further

Thor 2 is complete shit, definitely in the top ten worst comic films
>>
>>84123877
Where are you getting these collages from anon? Seen other ones like these for other movies and series.
>>
File: sheev kino.jpg (4 MB, 7192x4056) Image search: [Google]
sheev kino.jpg
4 MB, 7192x4056
>>84124090
/tv/ cinemagrid threads
>>
>>84124099
do they have a booru or something of the sort

>/tv/ derails another thread
damn, at least it was just a Thor MCU thread
>>
>>84122870
but Whor would definitely beat an amateur boxer
>>
File: 1464571289874.jpg (819 KB, 2880x1560) Image search: [Google]
1464571289874.jpg
819 KB, 2880x1560
>>84124170
Nope.
Though you could just make a cinemagrid thread for the others to post the ones they have.
>>
>>84122392
I actually liked the first one, but the 2nd one I barely remember at all.
>>
>>84122392
First one didn't milk the fish out of water angle enough but wasn't worse than typical non-comic scifi action movies, second one was crap.
>>
>>84122541
Implying GL did anything better other than maybe the catwoman movie is incorrect. There is literally nothing redeemable about that garbage. At least Thor got women audiences into the MCU.
>>
>>84122922
Well it's certainly not Mike Tyson. That's why it's only fairly fit and only an amateur.
>>
>>84122453
Literally this

I will never understand the /co/ hate for both movies. Personally most posts I've read just sound like they were written by a bunch of betas who never even held a girl's hand and they're projecting.
>>
I feel Marvel Thor is a hard sell anyway. It's not full on mythical, present day OR futuristic but those elements play a big part in everything in the setting, from backstories, costumes and plot-lines.
The fact that the movies have been able to nail all of that in a coherent way at all is amazing
>>
hemsworth cant act to save his life.Just horrible.Only loki saves both movies
>>
>>84126672
>Personally most posts I've read just sound like they were written by a bunch of betas who never even held a girl's hand and they're projecting.

Sounds like you're projecting your bad taste. Romance is fine when done right, not when it's written as if it was meant to be in a romcom. Plus the entire Jane and co part of the Thor movies feels forced and out of place, it either adds bad romance or...even worse, bad comedy relief
>>
File: Consider The Following.png (51 KB, 246x214) Image search: [Google]
Consider The Following.png
51 KB, 246x214
>>84127784
Well I hate to break this to you, but almost all of the MCU movies are a type of subgenre through a superhero lens.

Incredible Hulk is monster movie with superheroes
First Avenger is a war movie with superheroes
Thor is a romcom with superheroes
Winter Soldier is a political thriller with superheroes
Guardians of the Galaxy is a Sci-Fi with superheroes
Spider-man is going to be a coming of age movie with superheroes
Antman is a heist movie with superheroes

So, sorry this doesn't fit your tastes, but Thor being a romcom isn't inherently bad, especially when Jane/Thor was a major part of the Kirby stories.
>>
I don't really understand the hateboner for Thor.

I just rewatched Thor 2 with the kids and honestly it's a good movie. The villain is a bit simplistic and shallow, but the movie isn't about him, it's about Thor (and largely his relationship with Loki and Odin). The movie had some decent humor and some good action sequences.

All in all, a pretty good popcorn action flick.

/co/ is getting too hipster...hating on anything popular...
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.