[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you skipped the new 52, is there anything that you would be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
If you skipped the new 52, is there anything that you would be missing going into Rebirth?
>>
>>84113440
Yeah you would be missing all the stories and comics from the nu52.
>>
>>84113440
Yes
>>
>>84113440
You would be missing the entire status quo established by the New52, which is pretty significant.
>>
>>84113463
>>84113465
>>84113480
Thank You. So all of Batman then?
>>
>>84113440
Well this universe's original superman is dead and he's been replaced by an impostor with an even more confusing backstory than Power Girl so

No not missing much
>>
Which n52 comics are worth reading? I was planning on starting reading DC comics now that there was yet another reboot.
>>
File: headlikeanorange.gif (1 MB, 392x294) Image search: [Google]
headlikeanorange.gif
1 MB, 392x294
>>84113524
>Thank You. So all of Batman then?
>>
No, it's pretty much a fresh start.

New 52 is really Post-Crisis, anyways. I didn't read anything aside from some Sinestro and I got into everything really easily.
>>
Key things, as far as I know:

>JL
* Luthor and Captain Cold were on the JL for a little bit. Luthor has, in fact, transitioned into something of a good guy.
* In the Forever Evil event, Dick Grayson was unmasked as Nightwing and "killed", which turned out to be untrue as he infiltrated the Spyral organization. That ended up being reversed at the end of Grayson, I think.

>Superman
* New52 Superman died in the "Death of Superman"/"Super League" crossover event.
* Mr Oz appeared in Johns' run on Superman (Superman #32-40, I think).
* Pre-Flashpoint Superman had his own series with "Superman: Lois and Clark". For a bit more clarity, you might want to read Convergence, too, although it's not absolutely required.

>Batman
* Bruce died in the "Endgame" plotline (Batman 35-40, or something like that). Like, seriously, he kind of died. His memories were gone when he got revived before Batman 41.
* Jim Gordon took his place as the officially sanctioned Batman, but Bruce returned, old memories intact, by Batman 49-50.
* Duke appeared in Endgame and had a small cameo before that, too. He was a main character in "We Are Robin."

>Flash
* Not that much of real consequence happened in the New52 for him, honestly.
* Obviously, there's the black Wally.
* There's a new Reverse-Flash, who's the *other* uncle that the Wallys have, named Daniel West. (actually, did he die in New Suicide Squad? I remember seeing an issue where he seemed to get wrecked, but I doubt that was permanent)

>Green Arrow
* Emiko is the daughter of Shado and Robert Queen. The whole run of Lemire+Sorrentino is worth reading.

>Wonder Woman
* Man, I don't know.
* Her origin was changed for her to be the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta, not made from clay..... That is, that's what we've been told.
* Donna Troy was mindfucked into killing male Amazons because apparently they were a thing and apparently one older Amazon hated them. This will probably be retconned out, but who knows.
>>
>>84113719
>impostor
>>
>>84113877
>>Wonder Woman
>* Man, I don't know.
>* Her origin was changed for her to be the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta, not made from clay..... That is, that's what we've been told.
>* Donna Troy was mindfucked into killing male Amazons because apparently they were a thing and apparently one older Amazon hated them. This will probably be retconned out, but who knows.

She's the new god of war unless that changed when i wasn't looking. Her rebirth issue was solid, but It looks like yet another soft reboot for her character.
>>
>>84113758
Justice League Dark was pretty interesting - decent to good, especially if you like art and supernatural/magic.

Frankenstein Agent of SHADE is pretty good. Both would have no real impact on New 52 universe except that JLD had some cross-overs with Trinity War/Forever Evil (which personally, I thought was a waste a time - you can just do a browser search and decide if you want to bother with it or not, but that's a fuckton worth of issues and tie-ins to wade through). The few issues that connect might be slightly confusing but if you check the DC Wikia or some other sites, you can easily skim/skip over them.

Haven't read but heard Dial H, Demon Knight are both good, they are in my pile to read.

I would read Morrison's Action Comics run, 19 issues.
>>
Catwoman:
> one significant and excellent time when she was a mob boss in Gotham (read that and maybe the following run. They're the only ones worth reading)
Martian manhunter:
>his origin was explained and the comic was in like a loop. Pretty entertaining run (DCYou era)
>>
>>84113877

Convergence does the exact opposite of clarifying anything.
>>
>>84113758
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Vibe
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Captain Marvel
Booster Gold
>>
>>84116955
Convergence L&C is probably what that Anon meant

>>84117031
Booster Gold didn't have his on-ongoing, so I assume you mean JLI. Captain Marvel definitely did not have his own ongoing, and John's Fan Fiction is crap (and were back up stories to even worse fan fiction).
>>
>>84113440
you don't really need to read anything, maybe Wonder Woman so you have some context of what's being debunked in Rebirth, but you can go always pick up back issues of the New 52, they're not going anywhere.
>>
I love the new logo!
>>
>>84113758
>yet another reboot.

First of all, no.

Second, here's a list. Not the most recent version, but still.
>>
>>84113758
Animal Man
Dial H
Midnighter
Gotham by Midnight
I, Vampire
Grayson
Demon Knights
Omega Men
>>
File: IMG_0763.jpg (788 KB, 1561x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0763.jpg
788 KB, 1561x1200
>>84117318
Now that it's over, we should give this one last update
>>
So I'm sure the answer will be "Just read Superman and Justice League," but is there anything else I'd need to pick up to track Luthor's New 52 arc?
>>
File: laughing Zoom.jpg (129 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
laughing Zoom.jpg
129 KB, 604x604
>>84113524
>>
I stopped reading after Flashpoint and picked back up with Rebirth. You will not be confused nor feel like you've missed anything. Yeah, obviously you did miss stuff, but it doesn't matter because that stuff was most likely shit.
>>
>>84117535
Do you like only read events or something?
>>
OP, I am in the same boat as you are. I have been reading all the Rebirth books and, thus far, don't feel like I've missed a thing.
>>
>>84117407
For the whole Post-Flashpoint, Pre-Rebirth era? I could definitely get behind that.

First things first, before getting into the nitty gritty of the recs, I say we find like, ten nice, appealing covers from all throughout the whole era. Chiang Wondy, Manabooch Flash, Kuder Action Comics, Omega Men, Sorrentino Green Arrow, and Jae Lee Phantom Stranger seem like musts to me.
>>
>>84113440

There is nothing worthy of time happens in New 52. Only read Batman or just skip it, really.

Most of them will be retconned anyway.
>>
>>84117488

No, just Johns' work with him. And if you know Johns' pre-Flashpoint work with Superman and Lex already, this is just an extension of that characterization.
>>
>>84118272
omega men
>>
>>84113440
Everthing!
>>
>>84117407
Where could you download all this?
>>
>>84117318
>>84117407
It seems like these rec way more of the titles than I see recommend on posts here (e.g. similar to this one or when one says, what Superman should I read post FP, or what Green Lantern should I read post FP, etc.

For example, I read ALL the Supergirl and yet I don't think I could recommend it to anyone, as readable. It had a few pages here and there, but no.

Again, read all of Justice League of America and thought it was not worth the paper it was written on, other than as exceedingly long set up for the crap that was Trinity War and the Reset/Reboot button that was Forever Evil. And, it NEVER comes up in any recommended posts that I've seen in the past year (and to be fair, it's not like I'm hear 24/7 but still it should come up in the Justice League discussions).

I could go on but I won't. I'm more on board personally with the DC You rec list but again don't really think it's right (most times I hear JL United discussed it's not flattering, of any part of the run. I stopped after the first arc, personally.)
>>
>>84120241
It should all be available legally theough Comixology.
If you want to pirate the shit out of them, check the Win-O threads. Their OPs always have a bunch of links and suggestions for where to look. If you can't find any good torrents or direct downloads for what you're looking for, put out a request in the thread itself and you might get lucky and have someone upload it for you.
>>
>>84120390

What's worthwhile is a matter of opinion. I actually liked JLA.

Also that part of JLU that they reccommend in the list is for the short Parker run right before it got cancelled which is legitimately good shit.
>>
>>84117836
Nope, I follow writers more than characters, though. But yeah, all the runs I was reading in New52 after flashpoint were shitty so I dropped it all. Then when Rebirth hit I picked up all the Rebirth issues and then the new number 1s and I don't feel lost at all.
>>
File: 1467053481664.gif (136 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1467053481664.gif
136 KB, 300x300
>>84113440
its like warner bros have handed over control of the DC comics to two autistic children who were raised in last year in liberal hollywood.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.