[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the scariest versions of Batman's costume that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 19
File: Batman-Begins.jpg (38 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Batman-Begins.jpg
38 KB, 600x300
What are the scariest versions of Batman's costume that exist? For me I prefer Batman designs where I would be fucking terrified if I saw him down a dark alley. It makes way more sense that he look like less of a man and more of a demonic bat to strike fear into Gotham's criminals. The kevlar armor batman reveals Batman to be just a man to his enemies.

Would love to see recommendations for comic runs which feature the kind of look I'm talking about.
>>
Arkham Asylum Batman is kinda spooky I guess
>>
>>84103509
You mean the game version?
>>
File: Stan-Lee_Batman.jpg (281 KB, 961x1516) Image search: [Google]
Stan-Lee_Batman.jpg
281 KB, 961x1516
>>84103466
I think Stan Lee's Batman is pretty decent for the idea of a Bat-Demon myth that's spoken of in the slums of Gotham.
>>
>>84103466
I think you'd like this picture.

Batman should hide his mouth if he wants to be real scary, and operate even moe under the shadows. Make him a myth.
>>
>>84103466
>Find a thread with a topic I'm interested in a lot.
>Barely anyone posts

God fucking dammit, this topic is never fucking talked about.
>>
>>84103466
I think it's really dumb how they thought putting armour and kevlar on Batman made him look more realistic.

If you were in the real world, you'd want to look intimidating, not like a guy in body armour. You'd want to look like a monster or an animal. Having a sculpted face like a gargoyle would have been a way better thing.
>>
>>84103949
THIS
>>
>>84103821
Think that you're def on to something with the mouth. The only thing is that I don't think the suit can be too detailed as seen in the picture. I'm thinking more of an shapepless blob (terry suit plus cape) in the style of Mignola. Accenting his size and ambiguity.
>>
>>84103466
Troika suit
>>
You can't say someone would be scared of batman in this day and age with the amount of media we are having. We are jaded and saturated with it.

For me it isn't about the costume as much as a time period. He works better in 50s and earlier years. Noir. Mafia and detectives.

Also lighting and theme of a story works wonders.

That is why people really like Burton's batman and animated series. They give elements that makes the batman great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXpqSzjFkQ
>>
>>84103593
Fuck no, are you kidding me you fucking pleb?
>>
>>84103949
You're talking about his looks, while they were trying to give him something to wear that doesn't immediately get him killed.

What you want to wear and what you actually should wear, are two completely different things.
>>
AO Nightmare Batman or AK Nightmare Batman?
>>
Vampire Batman comes to mind
>>
>>84104133

Also for me why it doesn't work in modern age is that I see that we are starting to be less superstitious and more oriented toward scientific progress and logic (at least some of us who aren't into religion as similar shit).

In addition it is hard disbelief that criminals would be scared of batman in this day and age when they are committing such monstrosities to each other. Worst thing batman would do to you is few broken bones and "send you to jail" process. If you are caught by a rival gang you are lucky if they decide to just shot you because they became creative with torture and how they send messages to other gangs.
>>
>>84104185
But you could have a scene that explains how he wears body armour beneath the garish costume. You know, like most of the comics do.

He says in Dark Knight, "I'm not wearing hockey pads", but he is. The lines on him that only grow more vulnerable to knives as the films progress may as well have big dayglo arrows pointed at them.

Seriously, the more time we get from Heath Ledger's death, the less I like anything about the Dark Knight films.
>>
>>84103466
k, now who's the one for BvS nightmare (not Knightmare)
>>
>>84104324
Shit man, there are still criminal gangs that do rituals and try to do curses on people. I could see it working really well on some people.

It's big in Haitian, Odinist, and Cartel gangs.
>>
>>84104327
The hokey pad scene was before the costume change and he changed the suit to improve mobility, not protection.
>>
>>84104423
And, by giving it a series of segmented black blocks, he made it look more like hockey pads. Which was dumb and will always be dumb.
>>
>>84104327
Look, I'm not a big fan of the movie costume either, just so we're clear. I mean, if they brought that costume over to the comics, no thanks, but in the movie world it works fine for me.

And about those hockey pads, sure he's wearing armor that's structured similarly to hockey pads, but his not wearing hockey pads as is. Hockey pads don't hold shit against bullets. And about the vulnerability, sure, but that's how it is with almost any body armor. You have to move in it and you have to be able to bend, stretch, hit and jump so it can't be 100% whatever protective material the armor's made of. You have to cover as much body as you can, but you also absolutely have to leave the joints open so can move.
>>
>>84104488
but his old suit and new suit were still stronger than hockey pads, which was probably the point of that line. Hes more resourceful than them
>>
>>84104619
>Hes more resourceful
Richer

the term is Richer
>>
>>84104649
>using the "r word"
>>>/pol/
>>
>>84104736
Sorry mate I don't keep up with your grungy memes
>>
>>84104324
BvsS had some pretty scary scenes with Batman.
>>
>>84104133
>>84104133
Nigga you crazy? Media would make it worse. rumors and fear going viral
>>
>>84104854
Until you see a clip of him and realize it's just some vet with PTSD dressed up like a rabbit
>>
>>84104814
it was a south park reference
>>
>>84104878
Seeing that it's a man stringing dudes up on buildings and beating criminals to a pulp won't make people less afraid
>>
>>84104324
>Also for me why it doesn't work in modern age is that I see that we are starting to be less superstitious and more oriented toward scientific progress and logic

That's what people have thought all throughout history.

It doesn't matter how logical you think you are when a Bat shaped spectre you thought was a myth suddenly leaps from the shadows.

And remember that this is Gotham City. The town has a reputation for being fucked up anyway. The entire time you're there, you're gonna be on edge.
>>
>>84104157
Well maybe if you could actually explain what you mean instead of intentionally mislead people
>>
File: STK617180.jpg (89 KB, 900x1125) Image search: [Google]
STK617180.jpg
89 KB, 900x1125
Got this figure for my Uncs birthday, seems to fit the bill as far as bats go
>>
>>84104934
Cartels would just castrate him and we'd be watching it on LiveLeak
>>
File: Chzj11vXIAATXhm.jpg (14 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
Chzj11vXIAATXhm.jpg
14 KB, 600x315
>>
>>84104844
yeah, I think batman is at his scariest when you can't see him, clearly at least. In the comics he's many times just shape with glowy white eyes or a shadow. And in BvS when he was just a blurry thing hanging from that corner, man, that was something.

Batman's costume is almost never scary in any form of the media, it's his surroundings that make him scary.
>>
>>84103912
Welcome to 4chan. Each thread that are legitimately interesting gets shoved in favour of some other crap.

As related to the thread, I really liked this segment in Gotham Knight where a bunch of kids retell their encounter to Batman. Depending on their experience, we saw how variable his appearance can be, ranging from a human tank to a sleek vampire-like figure that hides in shadows. That was neat.
>>
>>84104964
>>84104934
That's why they'd start getting scared again.

Because once they knew it was just a man, they'd get overconfident.

And then he keeps winning. A madman in a spandex batsuit.

First he scares them in a primordial way. Then, a very psychological way; he humiliates them.
>>
Who knows, but I think the whole "make the criminals doubt he's even a man" thing is fucking retarded. Obviously Batman's a fucking person in a costume. You're telling me if a fucking bat-humanoid dressed in dark armour, clothing, whatever, shows up with a cape and busts fucking kung fu on your ass, what retard is going to think for a second that it's a monster? Does the water in Gotham produce downies or something. Anyone who supports that idea of Batman is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>84104133
Batman doesn't require noir, mafia or detective to work. Batman in the 50s wasn't even noir. It was just a good man and his ward having some crazy adventures. Batman artists have used a more gothic and dark Gotham even in 90s and 2000s. Batman being more myth than man wasn't even a part of batman mythos until Rucka/Brubaker's run and has been ignored later. He's just been a man in a batsuit for most of his continuity,

>>84104263
Kelley Jones drew the scariest Batman.
>>
>>84104324
>Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot

What you're saying is true for when he was created, too, but you don't go into crime because you're smart.
>>
>>84105172
I thought Batman Begins did a good job of giving us scenes that would create that fear within criminals. That whole section where their buddies are just disappearing, one by one, would freak me the fuck out.
>>
>>84104324
It's hard to not be superstitious when Gotham city is infested with supernatural and is built over an Indian burial site and the founders used to practice some weird demon rituals to make the city sentient.
>>
>>84105239
Why u bringin facts into this tho?
>>
>>84105239
Continuity was a mistake
>>
File: batman.jpg (45 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
45 KB, 800x800
>>
>>84105294
I'd probably be terrified if i saw that in a dark alleyway
>>
>>84104944
I think he meant Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth by Morrison and McKean
>>
>>84105172
I don't think it's meant to be taken literally. Of course he's a man, but with very limited visible human aspects.
Just look at this >>84105294
You can't see his eyes or face, which would immensely humanize him, but here his almost like a gargoyle, a shape or a shadow in the dark. You have no idea what to expect from him.
>>
>>84104944
Sorry you don't know shit about comics.
>>
>>84105294
That looks like it's from BvS but I don't remember a scene like that.
>>
>>84105172
>shows up with a cape and busts fucking kung fu on your ass
I'd be pretty scared if a random guy in a black suit came out of nowhere and broke my arms
>>
>>84105498
>That looks like it's from BvS
That looks like 1989 Batman. The movie always had him stepping out of the shadows like that.
>>
Worst Nightmare is pretty close if you put it in a realistic situation
>>
>>84105563
I think it's from BvS because it has that Dark Knight Returns look to it
>>
>>84103692
Are you joking? Did Stan-Lee actually unironically make that?
>>
>>84105563
If this was Burton Batman the walls would be twisted and have a purple filter over it.

Besides, the symbol on his chest is large.
>>
>>84105462
Arkham Asylum: Living Hell was the first Batman comic i've ever read and I assumed you were talking about the games because it's significantly more popular then the comic. be clearer next time faggot
>>
File: Solomon Grundy.jpg (222 KB, 1900x900) Image search: [Google]
Solomon Grundy.jpg
222 KB, 1900x900
>>84105172
>Does the water in Gotham produce downies or something.
Yes, which is why a Bat monster appearing out of nowhere and targeting criminals is easy to believe in Gotham.
>>
File: Batman_Just_Imagine_007.jpg (57 KB, 322x573) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Just_Imagine_007.jpg
57 KB, 322x573
>>84105631
This isn't a joke anon.
>>
>>84105563

The costume is nowhere near the 89' suit. It was a promo pic for BvS.
>>
File: Nightmare Batman.jpg (81 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare Batman.jpg
81 KB, 1280x1280
>>
File: Batman_Year_One_1988_TPB_043-1.jpg (189 KB, 676x1023) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Year_One_1988_TPB_043-1.jpg
189 KB, 676x1023
>>84103466
No need for bullshit Kenner action figure/video game redesigns, no hack concept artist laying it on thick with greebles and shit. No alternate mutant/monster/demon versions needed, either.

All you need is the classic cape and cowl, good lighting, and presentation.
>>
>>84105200
Agreed. Absolutely love the Kelly Jones Batman.
>>
>>84103949
Why don't you go try the "dress like a crazy guy and the mooks won't even shoot me cause they're scared" schtick in your nearest, most criminally active area.
>>
>>84105498
It's an edit
>>
File: Detective Comics.jpg (2 MB, 3007x4117) Image search: [Google]
Detective Comics.jpg
2 MB, 3007x4117
Purple gloves >>> spiky faggot gauntlets
>>
File: rBVaGVS9rSaAFLgEAAA9JPiHEdo378.jpg (13 KB, 306x350) Image search: [Google]
rBVaGVS9rSaAFLgEAAA9JPiHEdo378.jpg
13 KB, 306x350
>>
>>84105052
then just spiders it across the wall and through the ceiling. that was fuckin crazy cool.
>>
>>84103692
Holy fuck the Hollywood sign is not that big
>>
>>84105631
He did Superman too, and the entire Justice League.

It was....it was interesting.
>>
>>84107539
is there nothing furries won't fuck
>>
>>84105052
You make a really good point, seeing affleck just appear in the corner of that fucking room was genuinely kind of unsettling.

I think the issue with batman not being quite as scary/horrific is that people KNOW he is a man. All the big bads have seen him up close a million times and know he is just a bloke in a suit.

I think if you wanted to make batman genuinely scary/horrifying/unsettling you'd have to start again and ensure that he maintains the air of mystique about himself so people are never really sure if he is man, beast, monster or spectre.

Have him have armour concealed under his creepy garb, give him a truly nightmare inducing mask, a super creepy voice modulator and maybe even throw in some scarecrow fear gas and you've got yourself a pants shittingly terrifying concept.

I think the key to keeping batman scary is maintaining a sense of mystique and ambiguity about his presence. The scariest horror movies are the ones where the threat is always concealed in the shadows, because what you can't see is always far scarier than what you can.

Have his enemies never get a clear look at him, they don't see the batman, the only see a pair of glowing eyes staring in the dark at them. Have video surveillance footage only ever catch glimpses of him, and when they fight him, have them never really get a good look.
>>
>>84105606
I dig the shit out of that.
>>
>>84112496
To expand upon my points, the phantasm did a pretty good job of being spoopy and ambiguous.
>largely hides the humoid shade
>opens with smoke
>creepy voice modulator

The only criticism is that the mask could stand to be scarier and more monstrous and even the voice modulator could stand to be more demonic or something. But in saying that I understand it's a kids movie so the obviously can't go full horror movie with the concept.
>>
>>84112496
It would be interesting to see an alternate story on Batman where you never actually see him, and he's treated more as an actual urban legend, the kind that would be a scary campfire tale or something. The ending could be ambiguous and could hint that "The Bat-Man" is actually supernatural, some type of ghost or demon. I don't think I've ever seen a story do this.
>>
>>84105813
This is really a scary Batman. A prison-hardened turbo nigger out to kill all whiteys.
>>
>>84112607
my sentiments exactly, I don't think it'd work in established canon and would piss people off, but if you did a what if/elseworlds special it could be really cool. Like still have him be bruce wayne, but maybe have it be ambiguous if he is in fact fully human.
>>
File: JLGOM Batman.jpg (8 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
JLGOM Batman.jpg
8 KB, 194x259
Not really Dat scary but look non the less
>>
>>84112965
He looks like he works in a gay rodeo.
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 750x659) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 750x659
>>84103466
The batman from dead boys eyes (a batman black and white story) scared the shit out of me as a kid
>>
File: KvPYwRl.jpg (58 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KvPYwRl.jpg
58 KB, 1920x1080
>>84103949
Except any sort of heavy armor is both imposing and dehumanizing, even the basic IOTVs and ACHs US soldiers were wearing in OIF and OEF. Never mind how bad it is on public relations to wear shit like gas masks, ballistic faceguards, or even balaclavas.
>>
>>84103821
>Batman Beyond-esque costume (sans cape/wings)
>yellow instead of red
>>
>>84105972
And then Kevin Smith made it a "funny" scene.
>inb4 hurr it makes Batman more human even though Year One was doing a great job at it without it and isn't just a shitty joke that retroactively ruins a powerful scene
>>
>>84112607
They did a pretty cool set of cartoons a few years back and i specifically remember one from like a portuguese or brazilian guy that was basically kids retelling stories of seeing batman.

they were all hyper-stylized because the kids obviously saw him as horrifying. It's literally exactly what you're looking for. Just like 10 minutes long.
>>
>>84115421
Well, you faggots keep bringing it up every time that scene is posted, meaning that A) Smith did a great job of making something people will talk about and B) it'll never fucking go away because of, again, faggots like you.
>>
>>84107539
I'm spooked
>>
File: azbats.jpg (48 KB, 462x700) Image search: [Google]
azbats.jpg
48 KB, 462x700
The best.
>>
>>84103466
I remember reading a comic where Batman tells Superman; his costume is made to scare the criminals not the children
>>
>>84116080

it was Batman Gotham Knight i think
>>
>>84105294
Yeah. That's spooky as fuck.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.