[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How smart is Spider-Man now? Why is is life so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: h6iTa3F.jpg (257 KB, 675x1024) Image search: [Google]
h6iTa3F.jpg
257 KB, 675x1024
Do writers keep forgetting that Peter is a genius or does he just not get written as a smart guy anymore? When he first started out as a kid, Reed said that Pete was about as smart of a kid as him when he was his age?

Reed Richards who had like 4 college degrees when he was a teenager. Fast forward years later and he's a wagecuck street level hero working the same job he had when he was a teenager and can barely keep his bills paid.

He didn't graduate college. The only thing he's ever contributed is an adhesive and he's just given up on anything intellectually to be a snarky little shit and have a bad life like his buddy Daredevil.

Is this bad writing or just him wasting his potential completely? What the hell happened in this man to make him fuck off so hard?

And do scholarships just not exist in the marvel universe or what? We're to believe a kid this intelligent didn't get a full scholarship to the school of his choice? What, was he beat out by some asian kid or did they not recruit enough blacks and latinos that year to reach their minority quota?

And he's friends with billionaires who know his identity by now and know that he struggles with finances. Why are his friends so shit that they do nothing but gawk like idiots when he's faced with all these personal crises? Is it too much for Johnny, Tony, or whoever to throw him a buck or two?
>>
Sorry to ruin your essay OP but Slott's writing Peter as a super scientist heading up Parker Industries and it still sucks
>>
>>84091674
Does he at least catch a break in life? Or nah?
>>
>>84091603
I always hated Peter being a super geniud, he should really just have more then then average intelligence
>>
>>84091603
>And he's friends with billionaires who know his identity by now and know that he struggles with finances. Why are his friends so shit that they do nothing but gawk like idiots when he's faced with all these personal crises? Is it too much for Johnny, Tony, or whoever to throw him a buck or two?
Tony doesn't know his identity though. Plus he and pete have essentially swapped places in the marvel universe. Pete's rich running a successful company while Tony is the rich people version of broke, struggling to keep his company above ground.
>>
>>84091702
His books boring as shit so I'd say no but he's rich and he's got a new sidekick, so I guess so
>>
>>84091716
Why? The way he's written it evened out as he got older because he never seemed to get a chance to live up to his full potential like the rest. He could've been Reed or Hank, but his fucked up life and his dedication to muh responsibility didn't permit.

>>84091743
Hm? It's only a matter of time until it comes crumbling down beneath his feet though, right? There's no room in Marvel for a happy, well-adjusted, financially stable Pete.

>>84091750
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be skipping that.
>>
Most heroes' lives suck. I'm not sure why Spiderfags whine about it magnitudes more than any other fandom.
>>
File: MRV11280-StanLee.jpg (91 KB, 375x564) Image search: [Google]
MRV11280-StanLee.jpg
91 KB, 375x564
>>84091603
There's smart and then there's smart.
Peter is the kind of smart that knows how things work and can realise his mistakes as he's making them, but is otherwise a normal person with normal sensibilities that still makes those mistakes.
He's not some supergenius that thinks ten steps ahead of everyone else and so can't relate to the average idiot, he's not some brilliant coldblooded tactician that knows when he shouldn't be swinging into an enemy's traps, the guy is all heart before head.
So you get this smart guy who isn't acting like a smart guy, making the same mistakes everytime, so when he finally messes up so badly that he remembers to stop being so emotional and work out the problem he's already made himself look like a complete imbicile.
Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Dr.DOOM!, Batman, Lex Luthor, whoever else... they're all emotionally detatched from "normal people" and so when they act smart they're seen as having an other-worldly quality to their intellects.
But Pete's actions are too relatable to be seen as motivated by a mind beyond our own mental constraints.
>>
>>84091603
Pete's booksmart, but he's so terrible at managing his life that it got in the way of him ever being successful until recently. That's part of the character. "The Parker Luck" is his way of coping with the fact that he willingly sacrifices every aspect of his personal happiness and wellbeing to be Spider-Man.
>>
>>84091603
Because of the Parker Luck, now get out and read a bloody comic instead clogging this board with your text walls and your stupidity
>>
>>84091603

You haven't been reading ASM apparently and I don't blame you.
>>
>>84091702
No, but nobody in Marvel catches a break these days. Everybody's fucked.
>>
>>84091603
Brah, he's been a scientist making bank for like the last 5 years. Why make a long ass post if you not gonna do research?
>>
>>84091883
Because muh Parker Luck
>>
>>84091864
Bécasse it would make him more sympathetic. Everyone is a super genius in the Marvel universe.
Parker is in my opinion supposed to be an average man.
Intellect a bit above average, pretty smart but not a turbo genius. Who makes bad decision and has to live with it.
>>
>>84091603
If he did he wouldn't be the spiderman we know, if anything he'd treat it more like a job than resposibility. It's even possible he'd phone it in and be incredibly cocky.
>>
>>84093247
Ah, but what's genius in a world of superscience?
He's a practical scientist, and in our world inventing something like webfuild could earn him a patent worth millions, but in a world where fantasticars, A.I., inderdimentional portals, time machines, and Ironman armors are invented by guys who set the high bar for smarts, his smarts are not that impressive.
>>
>>84091603
Peter dropped out of college because he was spending too much time as Spider-Man. It didn't have anything to do with money. He just gave up because he though fighting guys in animal costumes was more important.
>>
>>84091603
He forgot to turn in the scholarship application form and he spends so much time fighting crime he doesn't have time to build the shit he invents, except out of necessity when fighting bad guys. Honestly, best Peter was school teacher Peter. He had adult friends he could hang out with, he and Mary Jane were on great terms and even living together again when she was in town, he could influence a bunch of kids by being their teacher, and he was getting his shit on track.
>>
>>84093247
I would say more people than there should be an in way too many fields. But the Science field written though a comic book writers perspective has always been retarded as hell.

I thought peter as a teacher was great. Not every person who's smart ends going into research and discovering shit. Peter wanted to go into a place where he thought he could make a difference.

Though he's always been incredibly smart.
>>
>>84091603
He's an "everyman" now which means making him dumb as fuck because the everyman is an idiot.
>>
>>84091603
Are you one of those people who thinks cape comics are driven by artistic integrity?

Also too much time spent on super-heroing, taking pictures to make a buck to pay for Aunt May's hostpital bills, and fucking his hot wife.
>>
>>84093247
>Bécasse
Change the language on your mobile keyboard, Pierre.
>>
>>84093998
The everyman is also not covered in hot bitches at all times. He's basically what the everyman wishes/thinks he is: an underestimated smart man with untapped potential to get chicks.
>>
>>84091603
Because being a struggling college student who has to fight crime at night and try to get money at day is way more entertaining than a super duper scientist who can heal cancer by just looking at it.
>>
File: 50star post.jpg (75 KB, 392x372) Image search: [Google]
50star post.jpg
75 KB, 392x372
>>84092135
Thread should have ended here.
>>
>>84091603
Because he is YOU OP. And according to every editor most spiderfags and the rest of the writers at Marvel; You are a loser, who needs a self insert hero to live vicariously through.

Sorry I meant "Bitches loves spidey!"
>>
>>84091743
>Tony is the rich people version of broke
That still sounds stupid, Bendis.
>>
It's cause Peter Parker is an under achieving lazy kind of genius. He's the kid that would rather take pictures (or any other laid back artistic outlet) than do serious work.
He didn't grow up as an athlete. He didn't play sports. He never worked out. In fact he actually that guys like Flash were brain dead apes that couldn't compete with his intellect.
It wasn't until a radioactive spider bit him that he got everything handed to him. What did he do then? He tried to fight for money and then wanted nothing to do with stopping a robbery. He says it's cause it wasn't his problem but he was probably just used to be a scared little wimp.
Then his uncle was murdered and what does he do? He goes out with the intent to murder his killer. It's only when he realizes that it was his own actions that led to it that he stopped. Then again he runs away from this (original story) and the cops arrest the guy.
Even after all that he still uses his spider talents to make money by setting up his camera to take pictures of himself.

He only has his degree and company because Otto took over his life.

Blaming "Parker Luck" is just another way of not accepting responsibility for his laziness.

If he had never been bitten he would have ended up as nothing more than a 3rd rate research assistant that's jealous of his boss's cause he thinks he's smarter than them.
>>
>>84091603
Because bad writing.

Marvel don't want Peter to grow ups.
>>
File: 1464592908572.jpg (11 KB, 293x172) Image search: [Google]
1464592908572.jpg
11 KB, 293x172
>>84094092
>>
>>84094656
To poor people, maybe.
>>
>>84094742
Yeah, that pretty much sums up peter.
>>
>>84094742
Soooo he would have ended up like Doc Oct.
>>
Because marlel is shit
>>
>>84091702
Nope, Mary Jane constantly reminding him that she needed more attention and things weren't ever that great. Some people complain about that but realistically, all women are bi-polar and it makes sense.
>>
>>84094239
There are so many science geniuses in the super hero world that it has hardly any value.

Being a science genius in a super hero universe is like having a Bachelor's degree in our universe. It's better than not having it, but it won't open many doors on its own.
>>
>>84092135
Pete's top 10 smartest I believe. Realistically it would be best to portray him as you say but apparently he's a super-genius
>>
>>84097394
Maybe just muh opinion, but I wouldn't put Pete in the top 10, or top 20, maybe not even top 50. I mean, these may not be the top 10 brains, but they are 10 who are WAY smarter than Peter Parker -
Reed Richards, Hank Pym, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Beast, Doom, The Wizard, Mad Thinker, Cho
>>
>>84097505
Which is only 9, proving I will not be making that list anytime soon. I guess I could Blue Marvel on there, or Mr Sinister, or the High Evolutionary, or MODOK
>>
>>84094742
Nope, not realistic. There is a panel that shows two possible outcomes, one where his anger at being underestimated motivates him to become a powerful and intelligent man, and another where he just says fuck it and becomes a slob. This actually makes sense.

>He uses the camera to gain money as spidey etc bullshit
What did you expect? He always put being Spider-Man above his personal life, his main focus was fighting crime, he just also used it to help keep himself afloat in the way thar maximised the amount of time he could spend fighting crime.
>>
Psychologist here.

Peter not achieving success despite having a genius level intellect is actually quite realistic. The ability to process information and abstract concepts at a high level does not necessarily make for a successful life.

Emotional intelligence, the ability to network etc make it much easier. Peter has never been good at such fields and unlike Reed for example he lacks the single minded obsessiveness that allowed them to achieve greatness in their respective fields despite lacking those qualities.
>>
>>84091603
>How smart is Spider-Man now?

Smarter than any of us could ever hope to be.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.