[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else hate KotH when they were younger but then grew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: king-of-the-hill-netflix.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
king-of-the-hill-netflix.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
Did anyone else hate KotH when they were younger but then grew to love it as a teen/adult?
>>
I've never had any kind of experience like that. Not with any medium. Growing up is all about hating more and more things.
>>
>king-of-the-hill-netflix.jpg

you're killing me anon
>>
>>84082063
No. I liked KotH as a kid and well into adulthood.

The characters I never cared for when I was younger, I begin to hate them when I grew older, for some reason. That could've been due to paying attention to certain character arcs.
>>
>>84082168
>not 1.jpg
>>
I liked it when I was younger, and loved it when I was older
>>
Yeah, I thought it was boring. I watched nuSimpsons and Family Guy.
>>
>>84082172

I hated Peggy when I was younger, but then realized she's sort of impossible to hate since the creators intentionally made her have so many dislikable qualities.

Plus, her stupidity and arrogance makes for great quotes:
>"The day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the biggest shopping day of the year."
>>
I didn't hate it, but I didn't actively follow it.
>>
File: Bobby_sees_Luanne_Naked.png (359 KB, 617x463) Image search: [Google]
Bobby_sees_Luanne_Naked.png
359 KB, 617x463
This was one of my first childhood boners.
>>
I watched it when I was younger while waiting for other things to come on like Simpsons and could get some enjoyment out of it, but wouldn't consider myself a fan of it or anything or go out of my way to see it. I think I sort of wondered at times why it wasn't more out there like other comedies, even though of course that's missing the entire point of the show. And some of the character-humor things went over my head, like I knew Peggy couldn't speak Spanish while still believing she could, but never fully realized she was meant to be an egotistical character and that that joke was just one facet of that.

Started watching it again regularly in high school and got a lot more enjoyment out of it when I could recognize what the characters were supposed to be, and it became my favorite cartoon. Liked it even more as an adult when I'd actually been through some of the situations portrayed in the show.
>>
File: prettyprettypretty.jpg (118 KB, 685x600) Image search: [Google]
prettyprettypretty.jpg
118 KB, 685x600
Couldn't appreciate it as a kid because most of the humor is dry and deadpan. Also, I avoided watching it because it made me too depressed (Bobby being a constant disappointment to Hank, Luanne failing again and again, Dale being a cuck, everything about Bill, etc.)

Now of course it's one of my favorite shows
>>
>>84082063
me
>>
I didn't like it as a kid.

I loved it when I was in college.

As an adult now I don't like it quite as much, but I do like it. I rewatched it recently and I found myself skipping a lot of episodes, skipping scenes, getting angry with Hank, etc.
>>
>>84082063
Growing up as a kid in Garland I hated koth. Love it now though, it is so accurate.
>>
As a kid, I'd change the channel whenever it popped up. Shit looked boring and sounded boring.

One day, in around late middle school/early high school, I had it on as background noise or something, and I just sat down and watched. Now, It's one of the small handful of shows I ever watch. 90% quality episodes.
>>
>years ago had a cool teacher that showed classic Simpsons and Futurama on freebie days.
>overheard him talking to another student, both dismissing King of the Hill for being hick humor
I hope he learned to appreciate it eventually.
>>
Was just bored by it. It was like how I loved the Alien arcade game but didn't appreciate the movie until I watched it again when I was a teen.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 213x237
I feel like koth originally was written by people who understood what it's like to be blue collar, working class whites from a small town in America. It was very realistic and grounded, with good morals that were refreshingly counter to the counter culture that adult oriented animation seems to revel in.

Later seasons were shit. Completely out of touch. Hank's cousin is in ZZ Top. The town of Arlen Texas decides to ban trans fats. Nancy becomes a correspondent for the evening news in Dallas or whatever major city it was. A million other examples.

Aside from the main plots being unbelievable in nature, characters began acting less and less like themselves. I have to wrap this up or I'd start listing examples of that too. Bill broke up with the reverend at one point. For no reason. The worlds most lonely man.

It turned to shit and I don't like it. Ass butt niggers.
>>
Haven't watched it yet. Which season is the cutoff point (when does it become shit)?
>>
File: 1465106456254.jpg (50 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
1465106456254.jpg
50 KB, 580x435
>was at realtives house, the live on a ranch, pitch black by sundown, middle of nowhere
>watching tv, flipping channels, going from bs reality shows to tales of the ER
>i think uts stupid and vulgar and graphic, thinking my realatives are turned off by it I changed the channel to KoTH
>while passive before, they all immediately tell me to change itn call it garbage, toilet humor etc.

Ive never been so confused in my life.
Its one of the most wholesome shows Ive ever seen. Its hilarious and I love it. I thought theyd be able to enjoy it...
Still baffels me
>>
>>84085480

It doesnt. Though the writers make all the characters flanderized after awhile. The organic co-op episode ma be the last 10/10 but most every episode is good
>>
>>84082063
Yea like...I remember going on a plane with TV...and king of the hill was on (I was like 11) and I've seen it on all the time growing up but was sorta eh about it....but I loved it when I watched it then and still love it....great show
>>
>>84082063
My wife.
>>
>>84085480
Don't listen to this anon. >>84085554
He's incompetent.

9/11 was the beginning of the end for koth. Watch the stuff from the 20th century.
>>
>>84085480
It's not a stark dividing line but I tend to rewatch way more episodes from before the switch to digital animation (so, pre-season 8).

I don't think it ever becomes "shit" so much as just usually boring and forgettable-- like, you can't really point to an episode and be like "This RAPED KotH!" unless you're a fucking sperg. It just got dull.
>>
>>84085843
>It just got dull.
Well, that's what I want to avoid. I have a shitty attention span and boredom fucking sucks.
>>
>>84085918
No, I get that; I just mean that it's not Simpsons-level bad like panda rape, where you wonder how that even got written, and that different people have different views on how good it is.

I'd say just watch until you're bored or sick of it because there's not really a universally held view of when it was good or when it wasn't.
>>
>>84082340
>>"The day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the biggest shopping day of the year
Isn't this somewhat true however unfortunate?
>>
>>84086481
It's true, but it's a fact, not her opinion.

In another episode she says something like "In my opinion, the day before Thanksgiving is the busiest travel day of the year."
>>
>>84086541
>It's true, but it's a fact, not her opinion.
So she's trying to appear smart by stating an obvious truth as her opinion, one she tries to convey as her own?

I just started watching KOTH, feels like Peggy is usually the antagonist of the story.
>>
>>84086664
Yeah. There's one episode where Hank gets sick of it and literally calls her out on it.
>>
>>84086664
None of the characters are really that likable. But sometimes they get shit on for it which is good. The only thing that bothered me is Dale never realized his wife cheated on him no matter how obvious it was to everyone. I was at least hoping Nancy would at least have a kid with Dale instead to make up for it.
>>
>>84082063
I didn't hate it, but young me preferred even nu-Simpsons, partly because I got the impression from my parents that KotH was the moral, upright alternative.
>>
>>84082172
The only character I really disliked in KotH was Lucky, and that was because they stretched him out too much; he was just fine in the potato chip episode.

Hell, I never knew Peggy was widely hated until I got deep into TV Tropes. She kinda overestimates herself, but that's the joke.
>>
>Dale, we live in Texas, it's already 110 degrees in the summer. If it gets one degree hotter, I'm gonna kick your ass!
I'm sorry OP, what was your question?
>>
>>84082172
Same. Still love it. Can't say I ever grew to hate any of the characters. Still same amount of disliked.
>>
>>84082063
Yeah. Hated it when I was a kid and now it's hard to say whether that or Sunny are my favorite show.
>>
>>84086976
Texas weather is so strange no matter how much you try to prepare for it changes. The summers are the worst because of humid it gets down here.
>>
>>84086825
They planned to end the series with an episode where hank finally has enough of it and tells dale what his wife had been up to. Supposedly Dale tells hank that he was fully aware of the affair and didn't have the confidence to break it off for a long time, but over time as he grew attached to Joseph he realized that the best way to stick it to Redcorn was to raise Joseph as his own. He gets to watch Redcorn squirm as he'll never have the relationship with his son that he wants, and he also gets to watch his wife stress out over Dale possibly finding out about the affair.

I guess they changed their mind because it's a real sour note to end the series on, but I still would've liked to see Dale make his peace with everything that happened.
>>
>>84087349
I don't see an issue with that being an episode but maybe not have it be the final of course but close to it.
>>
Did we ever get a scene with Peggy having her hair down? For some reason that bothered me the most not knowing how she would look like without the horrible teacher hairstyle.
>>
>>84087349
That’s really kinda cruel of Dale.

I mean raising a kid just to stick it to the biological dad.
>>
I started watching it at 11 and I always loved it. The things I didn't understand before watching the episode I got the gist of after watching it.
If it's any consolation, I still hate the episode where Bobby got a job at the race track and the butt implant one.
>>
>>84087545
Cruel, but just.

For a literal cuck, Dale won that war, 100%.
>>
>>84087545
He'd also be doing it because he loves Joesph like a son and they're very close, but that sort of spite is pretty out of character for Dale.
>>
>>84087610
If you're looking at the alt-right theory of cuckdom then he lost. He developed fatherly emotions for another man's child and expended his own material and emotional capital on him/it. He lost.

If you're thinking like a human being, he has a son whom he loves and who loves him. He won.
>>
>>84082063
yes
>>
>>84087661
I'm looking at the word "cuckold" and its meaning, and saying that in the emotional conflict between him and Redcorn, he won, by virtue of having a satisfying life while leaving Redcorn a complete and utter fucking wreck.

It's less about spending emotional capital *or* having a loving son, and more about leaving your enemies in a hell of their own creation.
>>
>>84087545
Honestly after everyone lying through their teeth just to make sure Dale never knew. They deserved it and I would have praise Dale for this. Nancy should have divorced instead of going behind his back to a point she had a kid. I don't think even Joseph would want to be with Redcorn even if he knew it was his dad.
>>
>>84087661
Oh ok. I was thinking that in this scenario it turns out that Dale doesn't really love Joseph ,which would be all kinds of messed up. But I like your explanation.
>>
>>84082063
no I always loved it. I think it kinda fucked me though trying to relate to other kids my age when I first started watching. I did make two friends in 4th grade who loved the show so much that during recess time we actually played King of the Hill.

>I was Dale
>Got in trouble for my paper cigarette and paper can of beer
>>
File: peggy.jpg (32 KB, 474x385) Image search: [Google]
peggy.jpg
32 KB, 474x385
>>84087530
Younger Peggy but pretty much the same thing.

She also has her hair down when she does the born-again virgin ceremony; it reaches about to her shoulders. Looks different since it's wet though, obviously.
>>
File: 1428809439356.png (283 KB, 538x476) Image search: [Google]
1428809439356.png
283 KB, 538x476
>It's a 'Peggy was in the right' episode.

Looking at you 'Peggy Makes the Big Leagues'
>>
>>84087865
Peggy looks decent but Jesus Christ that baby Bobby just isn't right.
>>
>>84087767
I hope you told them your name was Rusty Shakelford and that you did not recognize the authority of an admiralty court.
>>
>>84087530
The reborn virgin episode had Peggy getting dunked in water so there's that.
>>
>>84082063
>Did anyone else hate KotH when they were younger but then grew to love it as a teen/adult?
Yeah, that fits my experience with it.
>>
>>84088000
He looks like one of those Zika babies.

>>84082063
I watched a few episodes when i was like 10. I didn't get it. I started watching it around 11 years later and fell in love with it.
>>
>>84088000
Something about that boy just ain't never right. That's KoTH 101
>>
So is Bobby a natural blonde or is his head shaved all the time and it is some weird hairline?
>>
>>84089111
I guess he is blonde but maybe its just the lighting since he doesn't really have much hair. I was always curious what would hair be like if he grew out for once.
>>
>>84089111
>>84089212
It looks like he's supposed to have pretty short hair so you could assume it might look different if he grew it out.

But then in one episode where he's getting it cut it's drawn a bit longer than it normally is and looks the same, so it looks like it really is his natural color.
>>
>>84089212
>>84089287
So I am guessing the blonde hair trait skips a generation or something? I mean it would be easy to suggest that Peggy cheated but honestly I don't think she would.
>>
>>84089490
Peggy's sister(Luanne's mom)is blonde, and I think her mom is/was too.
>>
>>84089561
Oh, I always figured she was a bottle blonde or something, kinda stupid in retrospect since her hair isn't bright enough.
>>
>>84089490
>>84089490
Bobby very clearly takes after Hank's father Cotton. Whereas Hank very clearly takes after his mother. Which bugs me because hank's half brother looks like a Japanese version of himself. Which makes no fucking sense since Hank looks like his mother and Japanese hank is not related to her.
>>
>>84086825
>I was at least hoping Nancy would at least have a kid with Dale instead to make up for it.

"Sorry about the affair, sug. If it makes ya fee; any better, I made you a kid."
>>
>>84089751
I am not saying make her state it just maybe have another kid to compensate so even if he knew about the affair he least have a kid is really his. But I guess it doesn't matter since Joseph liked Dale way more then Redcorn.
>>
>>84082063
Theres a type of humor you have to be older to get thats seperate from mature and adult humor.
>>
Is Silicon Valley any good?
>>
>>84090484

Yeah, it's great. It has a very similar feel to early KotH episodes, Office Space, and Idiocracy.

Normal people are faced with ridiculous situations, and the antagonists are often very stupid people posing as intellectual groundbreaking visionaries.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.