[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there no hope for old comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: midpoint.png (3 MB, 1500x669) Image search: [Google]
midpoint.png
3 MB, 1500x669
Left is digital/modern TPB release of GI Joe

Right is a scan.

Is there no hope of getting decent rereleases of classic comics?
>>
>>84026400
Most modern readers prefer the art being cleaned up and consider the graininess old-fashioned.
>>
>>84026422
I know, but most odern readers think Scott Snyder is a good writer. Fuck those guys.

I wouldn't even mind the flatness if the colors weren't just changed to be super bland.
>>
It looks like it's the same thing printed on higher quality paper. The only way you could get more accurate would be in they tried to make a filter to "fake" it, and that would look terrible.
>>
>>84026450
Most modern readers buy only new comics. most old readers will buy comics regardless if they're old fashioned or new.

Big difference.
>>
There's no chose to be made here. Older comics were not made to last and the original artwork often does not translate well to digital.

Neal Adams caught a lot of shit for digitally recoloring some of his old Bat comics but the reality is they couldn't be re-released otherwise.
>>
File: Sandman recolouring.jpg (293 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Sandman recolouring.jpg
293 KB, 1000x750
At least get mad over the REALLY bad stuff.
>>
>>84028059
Someone else really should have recolored them, though. Neal's recoloring wasn't good.
>>
>>84028304
left is better
>>
>>84028501
>color selection washes out original colorist's intent to guide the eye through a cluttered layout
>most central panel (4) has had mood emphasis stripped

Sure thing, buddy.
>>
>>84028059
Yeah honestly there is definitely a shift when we go from hard copies to digital, but once that transition is made, we don't ever really need to change anything again, which is good.
Once something's digital and available online, it has a much better chance of not being lost to time.
>>
You should have used a better example. I would prefer to read the less grainy image. But that does not keep you from being correct, there have been rereleases of classic comics that have been awful.
>>
>>84026400
The clean coloring works really well with old GI Joe, tho.
>>
>>84026400

Op if this is the kind of shit that bothers you then it's safe to assume you're the kind of comic book fan that would want to own the original copy instead of a digital/modern release.

What's the problem?
>>
>>84026400
I think the problem is old comics used bright colors because they were printed on shit paper with shit presses. So everything was gonna bleed and be faded. When you use the original colors on better presses or digital, everything is WAY too bright. Just toning down the saturation in Photoshop would go a long way to fix this.
>>
>>84026400
>right: recycled paper
>>
What advocates for the recoloring are forgetting is that these comics were made with the grainy-ness/dots in mind. The pages lose something artistically when artists/publishers retroactively erase said graininess and dots.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.