[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your honest opinion about sexy costumes on women in comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: ms_marvel_by_scebiqu.jpg (334 KB, 650x981) Image search: [Google]
ms_marvel_by_scebiqu.jpg
334 KB, 650x981
What is your honest opinion about sexy costumes on women in comics? No controversy about it with men, so Hercules and Namor can dress any way they want and nobody bats an eyebrow.
>>
>>84024633
In case you forgot how things went down:
It was when 'Marvel STOPPED dressing like a go-go dancer that /co/ started complaining about things being somehow sexist.

Now...
There's a thing called "sex-positive feminism" where the idea is that if a gal wants to dress like *whatever* then that's her own expression through wardrobe, and nobody, man or woman, should have the right to attack her for not living up to their own often-hypocritical moral standards.
It's a simple rule. What's good enough for Namor, is good enough for Namora.
>>
File: Power_Girl_0084.jpg (107 KB, 380x736) Image search: [Google]
Power_Girl_0084.jpg
107 KB, 380x736
>>84024633
To be fair Herc and Namor aren't sexy unless you're into it. A lot of the time they're muscle bound lunks, sometimes even veiny bodybuilders.
I guess there's also that the issue is sort of not a lot of people think of men as objectified in the same way as women, you need to go through ridiculous lengths to make men seem objectified, where a woman can have skill and character but her costume is too skimpy and people bitch.

Personally my opinion is it doesn't matter so long as it's well designed. It can be as sexy as you want so long as it looks good. If it's skimpy AND ugly then you fucked up.
>>
>>84024633
>>84024633
>No controversy about it with men,

Tell that to Dick Grayson
>>
>>84024796
Well, almost all superheroes are dressed to be sexy, form-fitting spandex isn't what I'd wear to a cosmic battle, but if it wasn't for the red underoos classic Superman would have left nothing to the imagination.
The whole clothing that isn't painted on trend is still new.
>>
>>84024633
It's a case by case thing, depending on the hero's personality and role in the universe
Black Cat works better when sexy, because she's all about flaunting. Carol works better in a more formal uniform, because she's all about being a trigger happy soldier and intergalactic conflicts. Sue Storm works better not sexy, unless he's broken off from the F4, Jessica Drew can go either way since she's a super spy groomed by Hydra
>>
>>84024633
Heroines and heroes should be shown as sexy as they can be.
That doesn't mean bikini. Sexy =/= nude. Costumes of Ms Marvel, Wonder Woman or Kamala are perfect as they are.
>>
The iconic costumes are always the best. These newfangled ones won't stand the test of time.
>>
File: 3203379-atlas00606.jpg (291 KB, 1459x1920) Image search: [Google]
3203379-atlas00606.jpg
291 KB, 1459x1920
>>84024861
>A new trend
It's more an issue of style. The new trend is there are more simplistic and simple styles that don't bother to draw over detailed musculature.
>>
>>84024633
Comics are a visual medium. If the costume looks good, I don't care how much skin it shows or how tight it is. If a costume is nothing but fapbait then there's a problem.
>>
File: 1458800018136-X-Babes.jpg (163 KB, 338x830) Image search: [Google]
1458800018136-X-Babes.jpg
163 KB, 338x830
>>84024983
A good artist draws the costume too, the fabric, the drape, the wear. Drawing muscles with parts blue and parts red isn't doing the technical artwork.
>>
File: nu1page16.jpg (315 KB, 1024x1572) Image search: [Google]
nu1page16.jpg
315 KB, 1024x1572
>>84025335
I know, those artists always existed, they're just rare because they're quality and quality tends to be in low supply. So the majority will tend to be mediocre if not complete shit. The old mediocre was usually naked folks in body paint, the new mediocre is simplistic low detail work.
>>
>>84025407
>>84025335
>>84024983
It's because drawing a monthly comic takes time, art standards have consistently gone up over the last 30 years due to the establishment of specific comic book art schools and more picky hiring (some notable exceptions of course exist like Erica Henderson). Image in the 90s was a big part of the trend with books like Authority.
>>
If they didn't wear sexy outfits, nobody would care about them.
>>
>>84024633
>Hercules and Namor
Hercules is a literal god and Namor is a fishman witch strange tastes in both pussy and clothing.
Great examples.

Tacticool is the only reasonable outfit, no spandex shit and no "booties". But the manchildren would wail and wail and wail.
>>
>>84027002
>witch
with
>>
>>84024796
I'm really pissed that Namor is supposed to be sexy in canon and yet until recently he was drawn very akwardly.

If he was presented as Nightwing is in DC, we'd all win.
>>
Honestly I don't give a shit about sexy costumes on women as long as there's some sexy guys too. My ideal would be equal opportunity objectification since I'm bisexual scum.

Although, with the Grayson debate it seems like SJWs don't like when men are sexualized either. It's annoying as fuck honestly, there's nothing wrong with good looking superheroes and superheroines. It's fiction.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.