[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Ha-ha! Today was totally wacky and stuff! DO IT AGAIN DO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 29
File: JuEiK5cl_400x400.png (84 KB, 289x289) Image search: [Google]
JuEiK5cl_400x400.png
84 KB, 289x289
>Ha-ha! Today was totally wacky and stuff! DO IT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN! Aw, don't be such a butt-a-rang. (Whispers) You can't hold down my imaginatioonnnnn.

Getting real sick of this current art and writing trend in cartoons. With a couple of exceptions, we're starting to get as stagnate as the old Hannah Barbara days.

>Oh boy another CalArts meme thread
No, fuck that meme, this is literally all of Adventure Time's fault. Pen Ward popularized hiring web comic artists to write for a storyboard driven show who can only write characters as le quirky and "talks like my best friend" rather than hiring cartoonists who were good at character-driven and visual humor.

You can say Flapjack started the trend, but at least Thurop Van Orman was a strong enough director to still give his show a unique style rather than just being "quirky".
>>
Well, youre right about Adventure Time starting this style of cartooning.

Ever since it first hit the screen every other show took up after it in certain areas.
>>
Oh boy another CalArts meme thread.

:^)
>>
>>84010104
Being "Quirky xD" is the only personality trait that hasn't yet been branded as Offensive.
>>
>>84010104
I kinda learned to stop caring and wait it out
>>
>>84010104
>lost on stripsearch
>show didn't get picked up
Being Monica is hard.
>>
>>84010432
What personality is branded as offensive?
>>
I remember characters talking like this on Newgrounds shorts 13 years ago.
>>
File: modifyers14.jpg (49 KB, 638x480) Image search: [Google]
modifyers14.jpg
49 KB, 638x480
>>84010495
I know artists who have had it worse.
>>
File: 1454182002088.jpg (27 KB, 480x259) Image search: [Google]
1454182002088.jpg
27 KB, 480x259
>>84010104
It was really more of a combination of Scott Pilgrim and Adventure Time, but you can't blame them for the fact that everybody decided to ape their style, that's not on them, that's on the people that made the knockoffs.
>>
Shit, how many CalArt meme threads have we had this past week? How long are we gonna circlejerk this to oblivion?
>>
I'm really sick of this shit too. Every new pilot is the same shit over and over again. It's all AT's and Pendleton Ward's fault. It's just that every special snowflake thought they could make a cartoon like Adventure Time in this cringy SJW Tumblr society.
Fuck Calarts for allowing this mediocre round looking shit art style which is the most awful sameface style since the Hanna Barbara days. When will this fucking trend end guys? I want it to stop.
>>
I really enjoyed flapjack, but can we all agree Thurop sounds like a child molester?
>>
>>84010432
>>84010562
Anon is right. Since you're not allowed to have opinions anymore, and genuine character flaws even in villains will trigger a shitstorm, your best chance is to make everyone talk like, DUUUUDE, THAT WAS AWESOMETASTIC xD
>>
>>84010495
>strip search
Katie deserved it more, for all the sleezy stuff she had to do getting into the industry if nothing more.
>>
>>84010777
Could you blame Van Orman and Pen Ward for training artists who went on to make these series?
>JG Quintel
>Alex Hirsch
>Natasha Allergi
>Patrick McHale

Even Rebecca Sugar streamlined her writing and art because of her experience on Adventure Time. Aside from a couple of drama-moments, her work doesn't feel anything similar to Pug Davis, you can argue for better or for worse.
>>
>>84011037
I'm going to really miss WoY
Gumball is a pretty great series with great jokes. I don't know why /co/ throws it together with all the meme trash
>>
>>84010104
What other cartoons act like this? Not even Adventure Time doea this sort of thing anymore
>>
>>84010432
So how can we make it offensive?
>>
File: cat girl without salad.jpg (303 KB, 1022x949) Image search: [Google]
cat girl without salad.jpg
303 KB, 1022x949
>>84011289

Cat Girl Without Salad, although it's a game, feels like a genre throwback to wacky goofy cartoon shit.

>hey, remember Final Fantasy 7 and Bubble Bobble?
>motherfucking cronuts are delicious, fuck
>>
>>84010777
Lucky trips are right. I hate the fuck out of it too but let's just wait out this fad and hope people discover and incorporate more originality into future shows.
>>
>>84011002
do tell
>>
>>84011187
>>84010104
Yeah, sounds like OP hasn't watched CN since like, 2012.
>>
File: image.jpg (252 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252 KB, 960x1440
>>84011289
BUCKLE UP DUCKIES
>>
>>84011485
That shows a guilty pleasure of mine.
>>
>>84011289
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_Animated_Shorts_Program

Pick a random one and search it up, chances are, looks and sounds like an Adventure Time rip-off.

And here's some CartoonNetwork shorts/pilots to pile next to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0fw_rSPaQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64idF8cF9fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1JbPAA8ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0AOHQKDioM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_KPcMUuIPc

>>84011436
The Adventure Time/Regular Show influence is real and if anyone denies it, they're deluding themselves because they think that since an exception exists, that it's proof against the trend.
>>
People ape Pen's show because it worked for a period of time, now networks are looking for new shows, hence Loud House being here.
>>
>>84011559
how did you find "pleasure" out of this?
>>
>>84011485
>DUCKIES
But those are clearly frogs.
>>
>>84011572
The first show there was made by someone off RS, and I don't know how she expected that show to take off, you'd think she would know how to be funny from RS
>>
>>84011593
I don't know. It's not the best show ever, but it's okay.
>>
File: 1436224031576.png (608 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436224031576.png
608 KB, 1280x720
>>84011572

>all pilots that didn't get picked up

What an odd coincidence.
>>
Just saying, Harvey Beaks' crew is made of web artists -including Monica- and it's the furthest thing possible from the Calarts meme people have been building around.

You can't really hate on a generation of artists for being influenced by the stuff they formed themselves on, which in this case happens to be AT-SP style art and quirky memories of art school. Just wait for it to die out.
>>
>>84011587
>now networks are looking for new shows, hence Loud House being here.
The Loud House was greenlit because Nickelodeon literally can't get out of the 90's and it feels just like a show that would have aired in the 90's.

Meanwhile, CN is making a series of The Royals while Disney is greenlighting pic related.

>>84011766
Twelve Forever got picked up. And pilots can take years to be put into production. For all we know, Magic Children Doing Stuff or Bug Salad could be a new series by 2018.
>>
>>84011425

For starters this creep forced her (and other female interns) to sit on his lap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UojpZ_Ec-q8

Look at how thrilled she is to be next to him.
>>
>>84011827
Idk what to say to that, sometimes good, original ideas get lost in favor of guaranteed success, why take an expensive risk when cheap stuff like Johnny Test and TTG can be pumped out like a machine at a fraction of the price
>Bug Salad
I hope this show dies
>>
>>84010680
nah. zone isn't too bad off
>>
File: butt.gif (862 KB, 345x376) Image search: [Google]
butt.gif
862 KB, 345x376
>>84011827

Wait, Twelve Forever got picked up? I guess miracles really can happen.
>>
>>84010662
I remember this too and I remember being greatly aggravated by it even then. I feel like they are trying to make kids dumber.
>>
>>84010856
Forever. Ironically, complaining about 'calarts' really has become the next MLP. And also hipsters.
>>
>>84012119
The only people calling this a CalArts thread are the people saying "I'm fucking sick of CalArts threads". Otherwise, this is just a "modern toon trends thread".
>>
>>84011642
the first pilot and the one after it are from people who work on RS
They're both shitty rip-offs of Regular show and there's another pilot just like it where a guy get's picked as the ambassador of earth and he clearly doesn't deserve it. It even has the same art style
>>
>>84012039
>brazen tomboyish female protag
>meek, emmasculated boykick. literally mocked for being mommy-like.
>powerful trans villain (lady's body, man's authoritative voice)
>sissyfart trans sidekick (cis male bat-creature)
I've never seen prettier, more mean-spirited garbage.

this is not a miracle. it's following society's new progressive script to the T.
>>
>>84010104
i'm not tired of it. i love this shit. true we've had it for like 6 years now but before that we had nothing at all like it.
plus there's a ton of shit we barely-got-any-of that i still want more of, like that late 80s bill n' ted kinda shit. I will never get sick of that as long as i live. or the 70s kinda cheech n chong feel.
i'm never going to get sick of dudes, bros, hosers, or maaaan, so why have any problem with b'donks and homies?
>>
>>84010680
I really like Rat's character design, and his chemistry with Lacy. Would have made good rivals/frenemies if the show was picked up.
>>
File: profuseapologieslater.png (291 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
profuseapologieslater.png
291 KB, 500x551
>>84012328

>clearly antagonistic, conniving, and deceptive transsexual metaphor as an antagonist
>progressive

It's not like transsexuals can't be villains, but James Bond had better transsexual representation by virtue of not bringing up the deception angle.
>>
>>84012605
Because people have different interests than you. I know it's shocking that there are other people alive who care about things besides you.
>>
File: invader_zim_by_buggzz-d4jf1dn.png (451 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
invader_zim_by_buggzz-d4jf1dn.png
451 KB, 900x800
forgetting the grandfather of modern humor
>>
>>84012690
I want my slaw.
>>
>>84010495
>no three-ways with Amy and Erika
>>
File: JTHM 2.png (2 MB, 1119x1565) Image search: [Google]
JTHM 2.png
2 MB, 1119x1565
>>84012690
Modern humor would actually be better off if it drew more from him.
>>
File: 1391700233112.jpg (42 KB, 373x560) Image search: [Google]
1391700233112.jpg
42 KB, 373x560
>this type of writing was dying after internet flashes overused it
>mfw Adventure Time brought it back in full force
>>
File: 1436169508972.jpg (3 MB, 4013x2866) Image search: [Google]
1436169508972.jpg
3 MB, 4013x2866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBZC-bcE-E
>>
>>84012795
that's not funny at all.
That's Foam Adventure tier overreaction to a mundane situation.

>I'm gonna kill myself because the slushy machine was turned off :""""(((((
>>
>>84010662
Newgrounds was, and will always be, one of the most underrated, yet influential, things in animation, and you can't convince me otherwise.

The days it goes is the day I cry again.
>>
File: 1466135643429.png (353 KB, 524x395) Image search: [Google]
1466135643429.png
353 KB, 524x395
>>84012986
But anon, the joke IS that he's overreacting to a mundane situation
>>
>>84012328
>I've never seen prettier, more mean-spirited garbage.
Fuck off, mrenter.
>>
>>84011397
this looks like a sonic character
>>
More action cartoons.
>>
File: 1390576411181.gif (3 MB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
1390576411181.gif
3 MB, 307x307
>>84012873
THIS IS A FUCKING HERESY
>>
>>84012651

LOL right, it's obviously meant as an attack on queers. Why would you support this schlock?
>>
I'm going to say it again and again until the end of time, but the issue isn't with the art direction or the "quirkiness"; the issue is that shows and ideas are being influenced by other shows and anime instead of real events or places. When green twentysomethings can't think of how to present their own ideas, they have to fall back on self-aware quirkiness to fill the gap. If you get a concept that people can actually understand and get behind, both on the show's crew and in the audience, the rest is going to take care of itself.

Great fucking example of this is Loud House. It's art style is bean-headed as fuck, but nobody calls it "calarts" or "tumblr" because it's a relatatable premise to a lot of people and a recognizable premise to everyone

>>84012328
I hate modern liberalism too but you really seem to be projecting.
>>
>>84012031
You better be jokin.
>>
>>84013505
>When green twentysomethings can't think of how to present their own ideas, they have to fall back on self-aware quirkiness to fill the gap.
It's almost like, for the narcissistic hack that he is, John K was right.
>>
>>84013640

yeah but he makes my vagina feel weak so please ignore him or you'll trigger me
>>
>>84013640
For all I've heard about his "ideas" against modern animation, I've never actually seen his philosophies. Any place I can start?
>>
>>84013816
He's cooled down on the rants the past few years, but here's just a couple what made his blog so "controversial" (By that I mean people hated that in order to teach, he had to put down popular cartoons to do so).

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/07/is-it-cartoon.html
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/01/dan-gordon-and-what-makes-cartoonist.html
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-of-meatballs.html
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/cal-arts-style.html
http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/09/importance-of-having-lot-of-influences.html
>>
>>84013184
Explains why I wanna fuck it
>>
>>84010104
>Flapjack
>not "quirky"
>>
>>84014012
Man, he means something completely different than we do when he says Cal Arts style.
>>
>>84015526
He wrote these posts/formed these opinions during his time in the industry, when Animaniacs stuff was popular. Adventure Time just started to air at the time of this post being made. The Lion King/Don Bluth/Disney style was very popular betweens 90's - 2007 but has since been traded over for noodle arms, round teeth, bean-shaped headed characters. "CalArts" style is really just a buzzword term to mean "current trend", since it's the most famous and prominent animation school (Specifically made just to train Disney artists). People who graduate from that school almost always end up working at a popular studio.

I'm not agreeing with the buzzword, just explaining why people say that rather than "Nickelodeon Style" or "CartoonNetwork style" which I think would be more accurate.
>>
>>84012690
Despite having LOLRANDUM humor from time to time, ZIM's writing still has a unique style to it that I've yet to see in any cartoon come after it effectively match.

They're comedic timing is also much better than something like Bee and Puppycat or Adventure Time.
>>
Why do these threads always seem to attract the reactionaries in droves? It's a shame that it seems you can't criticize animation trends without creating a safe space for bigots.
>>
>>84012663
the subject of this thread isn't disliking this stuff, it's being TIRED of this stuff despite liking it initially
i don't understand how that can happen. i've never gotten enough of something i like to be tired of it. shit that i get tired of, i never liked in the first place.
>>
Go to bed, John K.
>>
>>84017022
You've never heard of the phrase "Too much of anything is a bad thing"? Maybe you're a rare case in the world where you can watch the same movie over and over 100 times in a row and not get tired of it, but the average person does get sick of repetition. Even a gourmet meal will taste stale if that's all you ever eat.
>>
>>84012795
When do they ever turn them on?
It's like the "no eatin after midnight" thing.
>>
File: Dumbslut.png (368 KB, 537x403) Image search: [Google]
Dumbslut.png
368 KB, 537x403
I hate how "self-depreciative" new cartoons all. It's like they're so insecure in themselves that they have to constantly say "H-Heh, th-this is so stupid. A-Am I right?" As if acknowledging that something is poorly-written makes it okay.

Biggest example is that pizza faggot on Youtube. You could probably tear that guy a new asshole, completely rip into him on every aspect of everything he has ever done, and all he'd say is "W-Well, I guess you're right."
>>
>>84011572
>all shows made by people who worked on RS/AT/GF/Etc.

So you're telling me that people who make a certain type of show, when they leave the show, go on to make shows that are similar to the shows they left behind?
>>
>>84017588
Where the fuck do you think you are right now?
>>
You know, I've never seen Tumblr ragging on the "4chan influence on x thing" the same way that 4chan, be it /v/, /co/, /tv/, and especially /pol/ (but not /a/ because muh superior eastern cartoons) rag on the "Tumblr/SJW influence on x thing".

All the artists and creators that come from 4chan seem to renounce or ignore 4chan's influence the second they make it big.
>>
>>84017922
Yes, they all just copy off of each other. Naturally happens when artists work together for a long time. Like all those old Disney 2D artists who make personal projects that all end up basically being Disney styled.

Usually, an artist who wants to grow will purposely seek out a way to do different things. All of Gennedy's cartoons are different, from Dexter to Titan to Jack. Even Craig's shows have different visual styles. Wander is way more cartoony than PPG, and Foster's has a whole lineless style going on.

People like Pen Ward, Justin Roiland, Butch Hartman, etc just make a dozen shows that all look, sound, and act the same as their previous show. And then people who worked for them do the same. Bravest Warriors is basically Adventure Time's rejected ideas.

A lot of these artists aren't striving to do something interesting, just do something successful because they don't seem to be challenging themselves to think in any other way, much like how art school now-a-days can't berate people for not drawing a certain way.
>>
>>84017588
This seems to be pretty much what Family Guy does now.
>>
>>84012811
why is Kilgrave cradling that fish
>>
>>84017588
>>84018138
I like to believe that cartoons are a few years behind from the comedy scene. If they kept up it would either be angry shit like CK and Burr or some like alt comic shit
>>
>>84017588
>Not liking pan pizza
Drink bleach.
>>
>>84017588
>pizza faggot

RebelTaxi?
>>
>>84015682
>"CalArts" style is really just a buzzword term to mean "current trend",

this decodes so much for me

>Don Bluth/Disney style
I just want to point out to the uninitiated that these are actually two very different styles and not to waste your time looking for similarities between Simba and Fivel.
>>
>>84018233
He's a total faggot. A cuckfaggot, if you will.

>Capcha is pizza

KEK
>>
>>84015469

flapjack is a great many things; the "quirks" in its skin are pulled taught over ten kinds of meat.
>>
This is literally the exact same fucking thread again, with a slightly different slant on it.
>>
>>84018352
But OP did an inb4 so you can't call bullshit or else you're silly.
>>
>>84018202
that's probably because, like many creative mediums, cartoons are a bit incestuous. A majority of cartoonists only look to other cartoons for inspiration, which results in work that is very derivative. Same thing is pretty apparent in comics. That's why the most interesting artists and creators are those with a range of influences that extend far beyond their chosen genre or medium.
>>
>>84010104
Who is that thing and why do i feel an urge to fuck her?

Yeah yeah ill read the thread later.
>>
File: 1466697264832.gif (3 MB, 222x379) Image search: [Google]
1466697264832.gif
3 MB, 222x379
>>84018311
Well, I like this faggot's videos.
>using cuck unironically
Do you even know what that means?
>>
>>84018410
I want to broaden my horizons, what are some good directors/storytellers/artists to take a look at for influence so I'm not just aping people like Tim Burton or Glen Keane? I already enjoy movies like Little Miss Sunshine and Papermoon. Any recommendations?
>>
>>84018536
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>84018045
I put a 4chan reference in my cartoon (y'know, back when it was airing), but alas, noone caught on.

It's generally poor form to reference sites like 4chan though. everyone outside of here hates here.
>>
>>84018457
Well, yeah. He seems like the kind of guy who would watch his GF get fucked by a bull and say "S-Sorry I'm not as big as Tyrone is. When he's done, I'll take you out to dinner."
>>
File: Vicol-b1.png (249 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Vicol-b1.png
249 KB, 1280x960
>>84018632

He seems more like the guy who'd sputter his love at a rich goth-looking chick, run home without waiting for her to reply, and jerk off to that Modifyers flash Zone made while thinking of her.
>>
>>84018536
Dude do whatever you fucking want.

Don't try to "look cultured", go off what you know and understand. The reason why we're in this mess in the first place is the existence of such an incestuous flurry of ideas.

If you go by what we say then you're just circlejerking 4chan instead of CalArts.
>>
File: cumcum.png (575 KB, 684x584) Image search: [Google]
cumcum.png
575 KB, 684x584
>>84018597
Tell us
>>
>>84018597

Everyone inside here hates here. We just don't have anywhere better to go.
>>
>>84017588
Cartoons are afraid to be genuine because being genuine isn't cool. Look at how every millennial faggot on twitter and tumblr purposely types like they're retarded. It's cool to pretend to be dumb and illiterate because then you can't be judged. You weren't really "trying" so you never really "failed".
>>
>>84019380
Speak for yourself, I love 4chan. Yeah, it has shitposters and autists, so does the entire fucking internet, but being anonymous means there's no shitty karma system, or people just circle-jerking with the popular members on a forum community, or people reblogging your opinions and shitting all over them because they don't agree.

At least this thread will die eventually and no one will care. But you saying, "I hate Steven Universe" will have +10k notes with Tumblrites writing essays on how wrong your opinion is.
>>
>>84010104

the best part about this comic is her self-insert is barefoot all the time so I like to think about Monica being barefoot and her cute petite asian feeties and ohj how they smell heeeehehe
>>
>>84018045
>All the artists and creators that come from 4chan seem to renounce or ignore 4chan's influence the second they make it big.
4chan sorta has a bad name to those who don't know anything about it so I guess associating yourself with it would kill a career before it starts due to ignorance.
>>
>tfw you will never marry Monica Ray and make whimsical cartoons together
feels fucking bad man
>>
>>84020155
Monica Ray is a dime a dozen on Tumblr. Just befriend any quriky girl who has a web comic and posts fanart and she'll probably act and talk just like Monica.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 750x562
Do you really want to go back to the late 2000's where for the exception of a few gems, everything was either a zombie show, a "wacky", derivative comedy with cliches and unlikable character up the rear or an anime style action cartoon that was failing to one up the few ones that got it right (Avatar, OG TT, TFA).
>>
>>84010432
sure
>>
>>84012651
>>84012328
>transexual
Jesus Christ

Butt Witch is Katie's inevitably maturity, she's lust and an adult figure (katie's adult figure) and her whole goal is to force Katie to grow up.
>>
>>84021243
Yes, because at least those shows weren't praised as being amazing children shows and people were actively looking for the next big thing because of how bad everything else was at the time. Steven Universe is considered the holy grail of modern animation and future artists are going to strive to have a show just like it.
>>
>>84010104
Things have always been like this, though. Cartoon channels are always going to try and make those "hip" and "edgy" shows to try and relate to teens more (shows like rocketpower and yo yogi come to mind) This one clip from Daria explains it the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=887WIB1oRAA
Not trying to excuse how shitty it is, but Adventure Time did not start this trend
>>
>>84017238
not the same movie, but the same tone. i never get sick of tones. but i guess most people do. i still like adam sandler.. i mean not the newer shit obviously, it's terrible, but i'm never tired of the old ones. i still like kevin smith's movies.. and if i could bring back robin williams right now i'd be happy to sit through a bunch more Good Morning Vietnams and Patch Adamses
>>
>>84012795
Out of mallgoth shit I liked as a teenager I prefer Lenore's lack of intelligence and/or empathy to Nny's overreacting.
I usually hate dumb characters but it was funnily done, at least in my opinion.
>>
>>84018045
>All the artists and creators that come from 4chan seem to renounce or ignore 4chan's influence the second they make it big.
ditching this shithole seems like a natural thing when you start being successful

necessary, even.
>>
File: charitable.png (39 KB, 1131x176) Image search: [Google]
charitable.png
39 KB, 1131x176
>>84021957

I don't hold anything against any artist that wants to distance themselves from this place. Hell, I question the people that come back.
>>
File: Matt_Burnett_Male_Gems.png (45 KB, 523x322) Image search: [Google]
Matt_Burnett_Male_Gems.png
45 KB, 523x322
>>84021957
Because being a SJW on Twitter and Tumblr where people can screencap your shit is better?
>>
>>84011037
Pug Davis is fucking rad.
>>
>>84011559
Same, I like all the character that are not the main characters.
>>
>>84012690
Gir ruined that show
>>
>>84022259
If they came to 4chan you know they would be tripfags so that shit would be screencapped too
>>
>>84022259
Wew lad, I thought the whole numale thing is a meme
>>
File: crazy alien tranny.png (703 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
crazy alien tranny.png
703 KB, 1280x720
>>84012651
>>84012328
There is literally nothing wrong with tranny villains.
>>
>>84017588
SOURCE
>>
>>84018736
Marry me.
>>
>>84021243
>everything was either a zombie show
It's not like AT, RS, FoP, Spongebob are still running to this day, even though they ran out of positive ideas a long time ago. Not to mention "adult" shows

> "wacky", derivative comedy with cliches
That's about half of current DisneyXD output (or even more, if you count those comedy filled Marvel series), majority of Nick output, and about half of CN output
>>
>>84018597
You the Motorcity guy?
>>
>>84021350
Honestly, I'm okay with that.

Because the next generation is going to take what SU did, and expand upon what they liked.

So sure we'll get some Tumblr-wank and some meta-wank and some neoCalarts-wank, but we'll also get more shows driven with a clear purpose.

I know people here aren't fond of lore gags, but it's shit like lore that's going to bring cartoons over to the glorious Nippon promised land.
>>
>>84018597
At least tell us what letter the title started with.

>>84017588
Why have I been seeing this pink bitch so much the past few days And why do I keep feeling like it's a trap every time
>>
File: w-WRRYYYY.jpg (130 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
w-WRRYYYY.jpg
130 KB, 500x419
>>84012873
>they removed lucky's accent and the semi-engaging CGI shorts in favor of this adventure time abomination

im
im just so fumin' you guys
>>
>>84022539
Lana Rain
>>
>>84016709
He was also an evil little shit that was mostly allowed to be an evil little shit rather than an increasingly useless blonde cuck or a slacker.
>>
>>84024097
You're not allowed to be evil because if you are, manchildren audiences will call you "mean-spirited" (See: Teen Titans Go, Gumball, Tom & Jerry).

Kids still laugh at cynical humor because they haven't been soiled by PC thoughts yet.
>>
>>84012873
>>84013290
>>84024055

>people being mad about something as trend following to literally shill a product like cereal mascots

Yep, this sure is a "CALARTS/MODERN CARTOONS" thread alright.
>>
>>84018045
/a/ dont have these kinda threads because they dont have problem with SJWs in anime or manga
>>
>>84010495
>show didn't get picked up
Like 90%+ of show pitches?
How many shows get picked up every year?
How many new (and refined) shows are pitched every year?
>>
File: PSOGL2_010.png (101 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_010.png
101 KB, 1024x768
>tfw trying real hard to make some cartoons thst are actually different, with a group of good skilled people
>hard as fuck since I'm a poor fag immigrant with no family and working a shitty call center job full time, have to lose sleep to get stuff done and still try and get stuff done when I'm at work anyway, literally drawing one line at a time in between sentences and calls
>hard but rewarding and know I'm making the different shit I want to see more of

>meanwhile entitled fuck's in California bitch and whine despite working on prestigious shows in actual studios because of white privilege or some shit, they use these amazing opportunities to make the most vapid toothless trite, and then have a superiority complex about it instead of being humble that they got to make something at all.

It'll all be worth it when we show off our stuff at some film festivals, but jesus sometimes it's hard not to think you're wasting your time and effort in an industry full of people that don't appreciate the gargantuan enormity of work thst goes into making anything out of nothing.
>>
>>84022259
He's right though.

People screeching at him for male gems is the same as tumblrites going to comic book creators and asking where all the polyamorous transgender brown superheroes are.
>>
>>84025984
>Comparing people in real life screeching at you to people sending you online messages

Also, he handled that with zero class at all.
>>
>>84027969
>>Comparing people in real life screeching at you to people sending you online messages

No, I'm comparing the exact same thing. When have tumblrites ever gone out in real life to screech at someone? They're just irritating internet keyboard warriors just like the fags that keep asking for male gems.

You only think he handled it with zero class because he's talking "SJW" stuff. If he was dismissing someone asking about syrupgender queermuff gems you'd be creaming your pants about how "based" he is instead.
>>
>>84028030
He makes the leap by saying everyone who is asking for male gems is a straight white male looking for a role model rather than saying, "There's an influx of male role models out there already, I'm aiming to help fill the gap with some women characters".

People asked for male gems and out of nowhere, he just starts slinging "straight white male" like it's an insult.
>>
>>84012039
>wanting that

Dude, the creators are IN CHARGE of nuPPG.
>>
File: 1465496726571.png (293 KB, 808x970) Image search: [Google]
1465496726571.png
293 KB, 808x970
>>84010104
The only choice is to avoid American media and/or writers like the plague.
>>
>>84025417
i didn't read your post just wanted to commend you for posting LSD Dream Emulator

have a nice day
>>
>>84028030

>When have tumblrites ever gone out in real life to screech at someone?

All the time, anon. Who else is fighting the good fight all day, yelling at manspreading cis scum on the subway, putting snooty waiters in their place when they refer to genderfluid demisexual voidkin as "madam" and enlightening the white beanpoles who think that 400 lb girl isn't a beautiful goddess? Are you telling me all these stories of social justice followed by the entire room clapping for them and giving them money are not true? Please, the patriarchy can't silence everything. The revolution is coming and we cannot stop it.
>>
>>84011397
This is like the other school of cartoon artist, kids who grew up drawing anime and then eventually got good.
>>
>>84028049
And you get offended so easily. Suck it up you "numale". Can't even handle a small jab on the Internet.
>>
>>84029488
Your irony levels are off the charts. This is some next Gen shitposting.
>>
>>84028222
What the fuck is going on here?
>>
I want to fuck the retard girl in the OP.
>>
>>84010680
OH BOY LACY SHADOWS
MY FAVOURITE
>>
File: fuckmouth.png (874 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fuckmouth.png
874 KB, 1280x720
Animators and writers today have zero range.
They just make the same thing over and over.

It's sad, it's shit, and people MUST be getting sick of spoonheads, boot noses and bean mouths.
>>
File: used to be with it.png (268 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
used to be with it.png
268 KB, 512x384
>>84010104
Euro oldfag here.

Does a portion of the American youth really speak and act like an AT character?
>>
>>84025417
Welcome to... Life. Connections fucking matter dude, you can't change that. They matter in literally any white-collar industry.

All the best for your project, but don't pretend like this is somehow CalArt's fault.
>>
>>84031302
Yes.
Notice how they talk and write. Things like:

"Are we doing a thing?" is considered a correct and meaningful sentence in the US. And injecting the word "even" anywhere you want or in place of other words is completely acceptable.

"I can't even"
"What even is it"
"What am I even doing"

Even complete nonsense without meaning like, "Can you not?" is everyday American-speak.
And if in doubt, just grunt "UGH", the catch-all for communicating with an American.
>>
>>84025417
>tfw at uni that is academically high-ranking but not particularly known for being "artistic"
>You've actually spent your childhood being taught things but you are still at an extreme disadvantaged because you didn't happen to be born in SoCal unto parents who just let you doodle Sailor Moon all day until you got good enough to get into CalArts

The struggle is real my brother. If it isn't confidential, any hints as to what your thing might be so I can keep an eye out?
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.