[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading it right now. What was the general reception when it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: final-gotham-map-sml.jpg (204 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
final-gotham-map-sml.jpg
204 KB, 600x900
Reading it right now. What was the general reception when it was being published? Is it liked as an event? The idea was good and execution is decent so far.

I see a lot of people recommending Morrison's run, which was indeed amazing, but not No Man's Land. Why?
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 500x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 500x765
I really liked this
>>
>>84006390
The use of crossovers in Hitman was great. Even the final night tie in issue was great.
>>
>>84006195

No Man's Land was a fantastic finale to the Batman story; a solid conclusion.

And then they kept publishing Batman comics afterward. Oh well.
>>
>>84006195
>I see a lot of people recommending Morrison's run, which was indeed amazing, but not No Man's Land. Why?
Because Morrison's is the only Batman they've read
NML is great btw
>>
File: Scarface No Man's Land.jpg (325 KB, 795x1235) Image search: [Google]
Scarface No Man's Land.jpg
325 KB, 795x1235
>>84006195
Maybe they just really like Morrison?
>>84006390
Oh man, how could you not? It's wonderful
>>
>>84006195
It was well-received at the time. The only thing I remember people complaining about was that they thought it wasn't believable, that other characters like Superman would find a way to fix it -- literally cutting off a city from the rest of the world is a fairly drastic measure. But it's comics, who cares.

A lot of modern Batman fans started reading with Hush. Nothing wrong with that, but it means things from before that point are sometimes overlooked.
>>
>>84006195
The greatest Batman saga ever, the true "death" of Batman too, because Batman is Gotham and Gotham is Batman.

Not the greatest story, though.
>>
>>84008154
>literally cutting off a city from the rest of the world is a fairly drastic measure
Wasn't that part of Lex build-up? I'm probably taking this out of my ass, but i think he used Gotham as a trampoline for his presidential run.
>>
do i need to read anything before no mans land?
>>
>>84008154
>that other characters like Superman would find a way to fix it
Well, that's nor a terribly unreasonable complaint considering Metropolis got blown to bits earlier that decade and Superman and co. managed to fix up tge city in relatively no time.
>>
A lot of the art in Cataclysm and No Man's Land doesn't sit well with me, I found it often times unbearably ugly.
>>
>>84006195
It was a shit idea, but saved by the execution. It suffered due to it's bad parts. Like every other crossover, quality was different on different issues.
>>
>>84006195
I personally love NML. It was the first time I really started caring about the Bat Family as a cohesive whole as opposed to a collection of heroes.
>>
It's great overall but it really reeks of the era that it's from. WAY too many cooks in the kitchen and absolutely awful art.

Outside of Legends of the Dark Knight, Batman in the 90's on the whole is just the story of O'Neil being the greatest Bat writer that ever lived but not being able to do everything himself.
>>
>>84009290
I think Contagion and Cataclysm are recommended but not required
>>
>>84009779
Don't forget Legacy.
>>
>>84010003
>>84009779
Contagion and Legacy aren't required. Cataclysm, Aftershock, and Road to No Man's Land are recommended
>>
>>84006195
It's decent but nothing too great. I think it was groundbreaking at the time due to the large crossover.
>>
>>84010250
>groundbreaking
>7 years after Knightfall and Death of Superman
>>
File: Batman__574.jpg (123 KB, 825x1280) Image search: [Google]
Batman__574.jpg
123 KB, 825x1280
>>84007989
Remember how DC later did Last Laugh and War Games after this as two crossovers in about the same year. Along with Identity Crisis about the same time. These were supposed to be major events, but they also seemed to be happening in their own bubbles at times. I was so sick of these half assed crossover gimmicks.

No Man's Land was maybe the last decent crossover. Maybe the best. It was sewn together well and coordinated smartly between authors.

Hmm. This was about the time Denny O'Neil left DC editorial. Coincidence?
>>
File: batman no mans land novel.jpg (44 KB, 476x768) Image search: [Google]
batman no mans land novel.jpg
44 KB, 476x768
Did anyone else read the novelization by Rucka.
>>
>>84010292
I want to say that it involved more titles than those two. But what I was really referring to is that it felt like more of a single narrative spread across several titles instead of one story with lots of tie ins.
>>
>>84006195
i lovve this event, and the utility belt was not a clusterfuck like the other resourses.

fuck phoenix force
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.