[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Superman is fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: Superman.png (1 MB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
Superman.png
1 MB, 1152x864
Superman general.

I was convinced recently to start reading Superman by reading through a thread here on /co/.

So far I've read:

>Action Comics vol 1, Morrison
>Superman Earth One vol 1
>New52 Superman vol 1
>Superman for all seasons
>Brainiac by Geoff Johns
>Not Superman standalone, but, some JLA and most of New52 Justice League.
>Superman/Batman Vol 1 by Loeb

and boy were my preconcieved notions of supes comics wrong. They're not boring at all, Supes isn't boring and his villains certainly aren't boring. They're usually action packed as fuck with supes fighting all sorts of shit like aliens, mechas, humans with various tech, alien gods and shit. I'm hooked and thinking of reading either Death of Superman or All-Star Superman.
>>
>>84004835
K
>>
File: Nemo_2_0023.jpg (889 KB, 1522x1298) Image search: [Google]
Nemo_2_0023.jpg
889 KB, 1522x1298
The best Superman is the original Shuster and Siegel run.

Most Golden Age stuff is shit but Superman has been going downhill since 1943.
>>
>>84004835
Up, Up, and Away by Geoff Johns is my favorite Supes story. Strong recommend.
>>
>>84004922
Really?
>>
>>84004948

Yes.

>Superman isn't a paternalistic crusader of normalcy or a mopey outcast but a blue collar tough guy fighting for the common man
>Superman isn't a boy scout. He uses intimidation, coercion, excessive force and torture to get what he wants, operating identically to Frank Miller's Batman.
>Superman doesn't allow himself to be photographed and is mostly seen at night so people don't have a good idea of what he looks like
>Clark Kent's "disguise" is to dress like every other white collar worker bee which makes him completely generic and forgettable
>Several times Superman doesn't even wear his costume, he goes under cover as a worker to expose corrupt business owners
>No crazy powers, just basic super strength

Each story has him solving a problem by kicking asses, strong arming people and destroying buildings.
>>
File: superman-modern-essentials.jpg (579 KB, 1102x1442) Image search: [Google]
superman-modern-essentials.jpg
579 KB, 1102x1442
>>84004835
Read these plus Escape From Bizarro World, and Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes.
>>
>>84004922
>>84005012
This dude is full of shit. Early Superman is OK, but it's not mindblowing.
>>
>>84005062

It's far better than any other Superman that's come along.
>>
>>84005077
Don't listen to anything this guy says. Maggins' and Bates' runs in the Bronze Age, Johns and Busiek's run, Morrison's Action comics are the best in continuity superman runs. The ending 10 issues of Joe Casey's adventures of superman and Rucka's adventures of superman were good as well. Then there's out of continuity, standalone and non superman titles like the other anon posted.
>>
>>84005167

OP don't listen to this fag.

Morrison's is good because he paid reverence to the originals. But nothing tops the originals when Superman actually had balls and an ethos.
>>
>>84005167
>Morrison's Action comics

Garbage.
>>
>>84005187
Morrison paid reference to all eras of Superman, from golden age to dark age.
>>
>>84005220
Byrne pls go.
>>
>>84005054
Anyone have a link for Kryptonite? That's the only one on the list I haven't read, and I can't find a link anywhere.
>>
I know it's practically a meme at this point, but I really, really loved All-Star Superman.
>>
Also read Hitman #34 and superman beyond.
>>
>>84005054
>>84005535
>>84005337
Forgot about Hitman #34. Read that.
>>
All-Star Superman helped me with my depression. I love that book.
>>
>>84005547
>>84005535
I'm not the OP and my question isn't exactly Superman related.
But is rest of the Hitman run worth checking out?
>>
>>84004931
Can't forget Busiek on that too. It was a good partnership that launched probably the best modern Superman era.
>>
>>84005791
God yes. And don't forget Hitman/JLA and All Star Section 8 afterwards. Then when you're caught up you can read Six Pack & Dog Welder: Hard Traveled Heroez coming out soon.
>>
>>84004835
But Superman isn't fun anon. Stop with the bait thread.
>>
>>84005791
Hitman is the best comic ever.
>>
>>84005791
I recommend Hitman 100%. It's the (debatable) magnum opus of Garth Ennis. It does take a large amount of piss outta superheroes (besides Superman), so be forewarned.
>>
>>84005012
>>84005855
Fuck off Batcucks
>>
>>84005855
Hello, Zack.
>>
>>84004835
Check this out too, OP. It's one of few works Alan Moore did for DC that he's actually still proud of.
>>
>>84006087
Moore has said he's "disowned" all of his DC work.
>>
>>84006087
It's still a crying shame that DC drove Moore away. He could have done some great things for them.
>>
>>84006126
>DC drove Moore away
What exactly happened?
Is it something legitimate or just him having a problem with superheroes yet choosing to write for them and being a bitter old man who doesn't understand changing culture?

Because the latter is what I mostly see.
>>
>>84006116
Moore just doesn't want to admit that he still likes his work there. He still even reads some DC stuff here and there, he loves Ellis' Planetary.
>>
>>84006233
They pissed him off majorly over Watchmen and wanting him to co-write Superman with Byrne.
If you read his introduction to Swamp Thing, he call superheroes inane but beautiful.
>>
>>84006266
>They pissed him off majorly over Watchmen
I 'm likely missing some info, but wasn't it because DC wanted to merchandise it, and this offends him endlessly.

I know absolutely nothing about the latter, except it was Bryne's run where For the Man Who Has Everything was published, and the JLU adaptation of it is one of the few things that he enjoys. That and Saturday Morning Watchmen.
>>
>>84006233
Miller, Chaykin, and Moore left DC over a proposed ratings system. Don't listen to this faggot: >>84006266 he just believes everything he reads online.

Miller stayed away until DKSA. Chaykin came back like two years later to write Twilight. And Moore stayed away until ABC/Wildstorm was formed.
>>
>>84006356
>a proposed ratings system
What, like they wanted to write darker stuff, but DC wasn't ready for that and gave the middle finger to their idea?
Then not long after established Vertigo specifically for the darker stories?

Am I close here?

Honestly a rating system might not be bad, but I can see a few flaws.
It would probably be about as ineffectual as the ESRB, barring a few overzealous shopkeepers and the parents that get outraged when someone sells their kid DKSA.
But I can't even imagine the fallout when someone tries, and maybe succeeds in writing "the first R RATED Superman comic!".
>>
>>84005985
>>84006044
Can you guys actually tell me why he is fun? Unless you think watching someone act like a super boy scout is fun, then I have nothing to say to you. The only time Superman had in anyway been fun is when he turns evil or goes psycho.
>>
>>84004835
You know, for the longest time, I thought I was the only one who read Superman because I liked him. Glad to see I was wrong.
>>
>>84006506
>What, like they wanted to write darker stuff, but DC wasn't ready for that and gave the middle finger to their idea?

Basically Miller and Moore had written much darker stories than usual for DC which had made DC mad dollars. DC wanted more stories from them but didn't want to completely get rid of the Comics Code Authority just yet. Also, there was some issues with creator owned properties bubbling around that time (which led to the creation of Image a bit later).

Moore and Miller thought (potentially rightly) that DC would be censoring them with this new rating system so they said fuck you to DC. Miller ended up coming back into the fold but being bonkers and Moore didn't come back into the fold but still became bonkers and wrote fish rape comics while also shit talking Morrison and Miller because he's a bitter old cunt who has burnt too many bridges.
>>
>>84006506
But they were publishing some mature comics at the time, even in the main DC line. Sandman, Doom Patrol, Shade were mature and dark.
>>
File: tumblr_ncreyj5NkB1tdiq91o1_1280.jpg (569 KB, 1036x1443) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ncreyj5NkB1tdiq91o1_1280.jpg
569 KB, 1036x1443
>>84004922
>Most Golden Age stuff is shit
I agree, but there is some legitimately entertaining stuff from that period like Lash Lightning and Fawcett's Marvel Family. Personally I'm just a fan of the more batshit insane elements of the era like The Claw
>>
>>84006126
>He could have done some great things for them.
What? Like that edgy crossover he was planning that turned into Armageddon 2001?
>>
>>84006581
I think the OP said it rather well. Also, there is also stakes involved in his stories, usually those stakes do not center on his physical person, but rather on people around him be it friends, allies or just civillians. I personally think it's fun to see how he solves the problems facing him.

And yeah, he battles all sorts of weird shit, which is fun.
>>
>>84006087
Speaking of Moore, read his run on supreme as well. It's not exactly Superman, but the run is a homage to Pre-crisis superman.
>>
>>84006506
DC wanted to do a company wide ratings system.
>>
>>84006655
>there was some issues with creator owned properties bubbling around that time (which led to the creation of Image a bit later)

Image was founded because Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, and Rob Liefeld asked for raises and were told no. It's literally that simple. They NEVER cared about "creator owned properties". It was purely about money for them.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.