[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>BREAKING NEWS! ALTERS is a groundbreaking new series fea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: ClkT8UmWkAAK02u.jpg (117 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
ClkT8UmWkAAK02u.jpg
117 KB, 900x1384
>BREAKING NEWS! ALTERS is a groundbreaking new series featuring the world’s 1st transgender superhero! #lgbtq #comics

You'd think a comic company would know anything about comics, but I guess not?

>https://twitter.com/AfterShockComix/status/745649148188299264
>>
I couldn't care less about the fact that this tumblr bait exists, since it's almost certainly going to die in a hurry, but the whole "FIRST TRANS SUPERHERO" thing irks my balls.
>>
>>83984119
First transgendered superhero my arse.

Still at least they said transexual or transgendered instead of bitching the English language with trans.
>>
>>83984164

True. That could have gone a lot worse. You know there's some asshole somewhere who's like

>"Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Cis-Superman!"
>>
>>83984119
Wow, what a valuable demographic to tap into! I'm sure all .00001% of the population that is trans and also reads comic books will buy this
>>
I'm sure all those shapeshifters don't count because they don't bitch and whine about how persecuted they are.
>>
>>83984119
>You'd think a comic company would know anything about comics, but I guess not?

It's not about the company. It's about tricking readers and the press into buying you're bullshit claim. Like how Kamala was the " first" female Muslim hero, she was at least the fourth
>>
>>83984119
Dident marvel claim kamala was the first Muslim hero for a while

Come to think of it ms marvel turned out to be great maybe we should give this a chamce
>>
>>83984284
Hell demon knights was almost new at the time
>>
>>83984234

There's a reason this big diversity push doesn't really work that well. SJWs don't read or buy comics, they just want to enforce diversity in a medium that has nothing to do with them.
>>
>>83984298
Because she's got a competent writer? You shouldn't compare it to whatever 20 year old straight out of college is writing this cr-

>Paul Jenkins

Huh.
>>
>>83984284

It's fucking stupid. I'd say I'd expect to see them called out by someone, but I don't think enough people even give a fuck about Aftershock to bother.
>>
>>83984298

I don't care either way, I just hate that they're all "FIRST" or whatever. It's pandering or they're casuals or both.
>>
>>Aftershock

It's nothing.
>>
>>83984377
Shit might turn out allright then
>>
>>83984298
Being Muslim is one part of her character, and can be brought up quite organically through her interactions with friends and family.

Being trans is not the same. It would never naturally come up in a conversation, which means it will have to be artificially forced, and therefore almost certainly be used as a point of contention.
>>
>>83984298
>>83984284

To be fair, I don't think it was that MARVEL said she was the first, but idiot reporters said she was and no one at Marvel felt the need to correct them.

It's like that retard who claimed Silk was the first Asian hero who wasn't a ninja or some shit.
>>
>>83984545

I dunno, I could see it like

>"Ma'am, my son is trapped in that burning building!"
>"Ma'am?! CHECK THAT PRIVILEGE, CIS-SCUM!"
>>
>>83984164
Which makes no sense regardless. Isn't the aim of transsexual people precisely to be/become the opposite sex? A man that wants to be a woman, or viceversa...?

trans means "across", after all.
>>
>>83984545
Yeah trans can't really be incidental to a character. It comes with waaaaaay too much baggage
>>
>>83984545
>It would never naturally come up in a conversation
Unless the story is set in California or some other liberal haven.
>>
>>83984234
I bet that exactly 0 transgendered persons will buy this shit. This is tumblr bait for white girls.
>>
>>83984812

Who will buy one issue only, because they don't read comics.
>>
>>83984119
I actually buy a few Aftershock comics. I like to support smaller publishers as well as my Marvel fix.

Dropping all my Aftershock books immediately.
>>
From what I've heard, Cloud from Defenders was originally meant to be a transwoman, but Marvel chickened out.

>>83984666
Infinite Ryvius has a transwoman and her having been born with a cock is completely incidental to her character arc. Hell, the only reason the viewer knows for sure is that her sister once calls out for "oniichan".
>>
>>83984919
Only indie book that I follow is Bigfoot- Sword Of The Earth Man from Action Lab. I follow some Valiant, IDW, and Image books too, but I don't really consider those "indie" in the sense that they're guerilla companies operating out of buttfuck nowhere, USA
>>
>>83984119

So, who do we have who was before this?

Coagula from Doom Patrol
Shining Knight from Demon Knights
The one from The Invisibles or whatever
That Skrull from Runaways

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, but the trans aspect of these characters really didn't seem like it was their defining trait, which in my opinion is diversity done right. If your biggest defining characteristic is that your software doesn't match your hardware, so to speak, well that's just boring, IRL or in comics.
>>
>>83984666
I feel it worked in demon knights although I suppose it was a little more then incidental.
>>
>>83984119
Someone got that pic of shining knight laughing?
>>
>>83984284
But at least Kamala's selling point is that it's actually a good comic with good writing.
Is the "first X" basically an [current year] ad? It is but only for the first issue.
>>
>>83984119
>First
Pretty damn sure false, but if you yell it loud enough you'll still get the attention your comic wants.

>HEY KIDS
>GET READY FOR THE FIRST SPIDER SUPERHERO, ARACHKID THE SPIDERBOY.
>>
>>83985084
Do skrulls really count as "people"
>>
File: 1464087364193.gif (1 MB, 392x294) Image search: [Google]
1464087364193.gif
1 MB, 392x294
>>83985425
>But at least Kamala's selling point is that it's actually a good comic with good writing.
>>
File: laughing sir ystin.png (129 KB, 159x359) Image search: [Google]
laughing sir ystin.png
129 KB, 159x359
>>83985408
>>
>>83985084

>"software doesn't match your hardware"

I lol'd
>>
>>83985084
>your software doesn't match your hardware
Well that's the best description of it. Even funnier when you realise that instead of fixing it by finding the apropos software, they tried to build a new tower instead and wasted a bunch of money
>>
>>83985084
You forgot Danny the Street.
>>
>>83985526
>>83985084

>>83985627

>There is nothing wrong with my computer. I am being oppressed by society's patriarchal specs.
>>
Does it have a massive cock?
>>
who is this shit FOR?

Trannies are like 0.000001% of the population and it is well documented they are mentally ill, this makes as much sense as celebrating anorexics for being brave enough to starve themselves and giving them surgery to make their stomachs smaller so they eat less.
>>
>>83985084
>>83985526
>>83985627
>>83985788

tfw my MacBook identifies as a Samsung Galaxy
>>
>>83985510
Thank you
>>
>>83985920
Ran an apple cinema display for my PC monitor for years.
>>
>>83985955

I salute your courage in standing against the patriarchy
>>
>>83985874
When it's about blinding yourself or cutting off a limb because you think they're foreign bodies it's considered mental illness

When you think your dick is a foreign body it's considered a medical treatment to hack it off
>>
>>83984119
>You'd think a comic company would know anything about comics, but I guess not?

As Blaine deBeers once said in iZombie, nobody cares about the fourth person to do anything. The fact that there have been transgender heroes in comics for decades doesn't mean much when you want to sell one - who's ever heard of Coagula? No one. Might as well pretend she never existed, DC sure does.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 280x277) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 280x277
Wasnt mantra considered being trans since it was a man in a woman body?
>>
>>83984119
In settings where it's possible to change your sex via shapeshifting or magic, why would being transgender even matter?
>>
>>83985084
Maybe Shvaughn Erin from LoSH, depends on how you define hero.
>>
File: Mantra_01_25.jpg (74 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
Mantra_01_25.jpg
74 KB, 395x600
>>83987180
I recall some debate about it at the time. I think the official party line is that Mantra doesn't count magical gender flipping doesn't accurately reflect the experience of real world transsexuals.
Sounds a bit of a technicality to me but whatever.
>>
>>83986284
Thank you for your insight Doctor
>>
>>83984645
>Not knowing the joy that is truscum
It must be nice not having any friends who know about tumblr and learning about feminist hypocrisies.
>>
>>83986284

They don't "hack it off", they repurpose it into a reasonable facsimile of a vagina. The only parts that don't get reused are the testicles.
>>
>>83984119
>BREAKING NEWS! ALTERS is a groundbreaking new series featuring the world’s 1st transgender superhero! #lgbtq #comics
What about Alysia Yeoh? She's not a superhero in the main DC universe, but she's a Batgirl in DC Bombshells.
>>
File: 1465689647330.jpg (17 KB, 264x286) Image search: [Google]
1465689647330.jpg
17 KB, 264x286
>>83987826
Sshhh you'll ruin their marketing.
>>
>>83987641
>reasonable

Transsexuality is a mental problem with a technological solution. The technology just isn't there yet
>>
>>83984919
>still supporting Marvel
>dropping books you enjoy because you're triggered
What a faggot.
>>
Guys, am I retarded or did they delete the tweet?
>>
>>83988331

HA! They did. Did someone give them some shit?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.