[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of the "main character is actually in a coma"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
Have any of the "main character is actually in a coma" theories ever actually been proven correct?
Where do people come up with this shit anyway? Is it because of that ending in Nintendo DS Drawn-to-life or does it extend beyond that?
>>
>>83966828
St elsewhere
>>
>>83966847
What?
>>
>>83966865
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOVxqg49DQ
>>
>>83966865
The series finale of St. Elsewhere reveals that the entirety of the show was just the imagination of an autistic child.
>>
>>83966865
A bunch of shows in the 90s are all in the head of an autistic boy
>>
>>83966935
And every show it crossover with and every show those shows crossed over eith
>>
>>83966943
So how did that morph into "in a coma"?

(Not disputing it, I've seen that explanation many a time for where it all comes from, and it makes sense, just that specific mutation interests me.)
>>
>>83966828
Literally none of them.

Because cynical assholes with no imagination thing that it would somehow make the show "deeper" or "more real".
>>
>>83966998
I think it has to do with the whole "It was all a dream" cliche, except a coma is more dramatic and appeals to pathos. It's really cheap and unimaginative.
>>
>>83966828
>drawn to life
did they really? wow.
>>
>>83966998
>>83967231
there's more to it too, a coma is longlasting and it has the "some part of you knows it's not real and wants to wake up but some other part wants to remain forever" aspect. i don't know who started that, but i know i've played a few flash games like that and i love them
>>
>>83967379
Yup.
http://drawntolife.wikia.com/wiki/Real_Life
>>
>>83966828
It could be applied to literally any show. Its just an incredibly lazy and cliche "theory " that people come up with to try to he interesting.

The Foster's comic was okay because it started the fad, and was a direct parody/homage to St Elsewhere
>>
>>83967631
I actually liked the Ed,Edd and Eddy purgatory theory, even though I don't think it has any truth to it.
>>
>>83967441
wow

i remember playing that game when i was younger. didnt know there was a sequel.

suprising amounts of jesus shit out of nowhere.
>>
>>83966998
it predates st. elsewhere too -- for instance, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occurrence_at_Owl_Creek_Bridge . it's a pretty common narrative trope

i think what really made the 'coma' version take off is that it combines two aspects that seem to make clickbaity riffs on children's media really take off: the 'dark/adult' aspect and the idea that there was some hidden meaning that you didn't get the first time you saw it

the coma explanation is better than the dream/autism one for those purposes, both because it's grimmer and because it suggests that there's a secret 'real' version of the story taking place simultaneously. if you ask me that's probably why it's the default interpretation now
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 1600x1000
>>83966828
does "it's all been a computer program" count? 12 Oz Mouse had that
>>
File: coma.png (848 KB, 1368x752) Image search: [Google]
coma.png
848 KB, 1368x752
>>83966828
If saints row was a show.
everything saints row 3 and after was all a coma.
>>
>>83968738
Don't you mean after Saints Row? I haven't finished 2, so unless it ends with the boss reentering a coma that wouldn't make much sense.
>>
>>83966828
You're in a coma, your life up to this point has been a dream, wake up.
>>
I remember a live action show on YTV back in the day that was about a kid in a coma. But that was the premise, and his Dad had apparently been to his dream world first meaning it might have been magic shit.

So maybe it doesn't count.
>>
>>83968522
There's an interpretation of The Matrix like that. Neo and the rebels never actually succeed in escaping, they're just in a different version of the same Matrix created as a backup or some shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (303 KB, 629x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303 KB, 629x1600
>>83966828
Fosters home for imaginary friends.
>>
>>83968889
i like to think that saints row is split into two realities, one being everything that is saints row 1 and 2, and the other being saints row 1 and so on where the boss is still in a coma.
maybe if saints row went back to what it was or it being all a dream, where the boss saw the future and rewrite his mistakes.
>>
>>83966828

Gotta love how the mom in this comic barely looks like she gives a shit.
>>
>>83966828
Breaking Bad counts, right?
>>
>>83972668
I feel damn bad for the dog though. Sad shit with dogs always gets me.
>>
Well there was "The Sting" in Futurama, but that was just one episode.
>>
File: Seymour.gif (362 KB, 256x184) Image search: [Google]
Seymour.gif
362 KB, 256x184
>>83972785

<--

>When you find out this was based on a real story.
>>
File: 8kjEHgp.jpg (871 KB, 3328x2496) Image search: [Google]
8kjEHgp.jpg
871 KB, 3328x2496
>>83973320
>>
I always fucking hate when people bring up theories like that. Like it was a neat thougt the first time it happens but then it got applied to literally every show.
>>
>>83976318
tell me about it
>>
>>83966943
I thought that the St. Elsewhere crossover episodes were his austitic fanfic.
>>
File: buffy-joyce-buffy-normal-again.jpg (59 KB, 1006x696) Image search: [Google]
buffy-joyce-buffy-normal-again.jpg
59 KB, 1006x696
Buffy did something similar once. That was cool.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.