[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come DC doesn't have letters columns anymore? Some of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: geoff johns letter column.jpg (179 KB, 447x1439) Image search: [Google]
geoff johns letter column.jpg
179 KB, 447x1439
How come DC doesn't have letters columns anymore? Some of DC's best books were the best due in part to a great letter's column where readers would talk politics (Grell green arrow) or the writers would offer lessons/reading recommendations (o'neil's question). Hell they were even unafraid to publish letters of criticism.

so what's the problem these days? even marvel and image have letters/email columns
>>
>>83958098
>How come DC doesn't have letters columns anymore?

Because we have the internet and social media now. There are other ways to hear back from fans and contact creators than just through mail.
>>
>>83958125
Letters pages have been run through email for years
Getting the good ones published and actually acknowledged by the writers is a cool practice that is way better than quick answers on twitter
>>
File: It Begins.jpg (267 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
It Begins.jpg
267 KB, 1280x720
>>83958098
>Screw you! When I grow up, I'm going to the top of DC and I'm going to make Superboy a clone of Superman and Luthor! - Geoffrey Johns
>>
>>83958098
Because you just don't see intelligent discussions anymore in written form. Just look at /co/
>>
>>83958098

Because they got tired of SBP bitching at them every week.
>>
Is there an official point where they stopped?

Because my guess would be printing/paper costs vs. lost ad space.
>>
>>83958278
Was that first time Johns raped someone's childhood?
>>
>>83958098
Do people really care about this? I couldn't be arsed to read that shit as a kid, and still can't. I've got other comics to move on to.
>>
>>83958527
>being this much of a casual
>not enjoying letters pages and forming a little club through letters that eventually made its way to a fanzine
>>
>>83958098
They must have banned them sometime in the '00s. When Steve Wacker and Mark Waid revived Legion of Super-Heroes in the '00s, they had to do the letters column (always an important part of LoSH) as part of the comic, with characters answering reader letters. Even though it would be much, much less expensive just to have a letters page.

Not every comic needs a letters page but there shouldn't be a blanket ban on them. Sometimes it's necessary. Like when Wacker took over Spider-Man, the letters column became a part of the style of the comic, with his imitation Stan Lee responses and in-jokes.
>>
>>83958897
DC also has a blanket ban on recap pages. When an editor moved from Marvel to Vertigo a couple of years ago, she tried to include a recap page in one of her comics and they told her to cut it out. Apparently it's very bad if new readers can catch up? I don't know.
>>
>>83958933
i can see why. recap pages don't necessarily encourage readers to go purchase the issues prior
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.