[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Late to the fucking party but goddamn Scott Snyder stinks. Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: bm-50-2717f-jpg.jpg (360 KB, 600x930) Image search: [Google]
bm-50-2717f-jpg.jpg
360 KB, 600x930
Late to the fucking party but goddamn Scott Snyder stinks.

Even though I'd been pulling and buying his Batman series I never got around to reading the Gordon-as-Batman arc. What a pile of crap. I don't remember the whole series being this bad but maybe I was blind.

Snyder basically writes fan fiction. The new characters (who the hell is this Julia bitch? And this Duke kid?) suck, and the dialog is extremely formulaic and unnatural with a flat voice applied to all characters (find a monologue where multiple sentences don't start with "see," or "truth is,"). And the concept of the story is dogshit. Gordon being Batman is a stupid idea, the Gundam-esque costume(s) suck and Mr Bloom is a confused mess of a villain.

The art isn't great either. Capullo is excellent at drawing inanimate objects and environments but his characters all look the same and have a very weird alien face. The bits drawn by Yanick Paquette are way better because the characters look like actual human beings instead of dead-eyed robots. And the action sequences are very hard to follow, too chaotic and over rendered.

Boo.
>>
This,
>>
>>83952178
>Snyder basically writes fan fiction.

Welcome to the capecomics of the last 10 years.
>>
Cool blog post bro
>>
>>83952178
>NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY NEGATIVITY

I bet your life is fun.
>>
>>83952371
>this autism

I doubt yours is.
>>
>>83952335

There have been good cape comics in the last 10 years that haven't read like fan fiction. This was not one of them.

>>83952371

Reading something and thinking it's bad doesn't mean you live a miserable life.

I don't know what it is with you safe space kids but for some reason you don't understand that you don't have to be a raging asshole to think something is shit. You don't have to go through your entire life desperately trying to find positivity in everything you encounter. Your mind isn't going to implode if you don't enjoy reading a shitty book or watching a shitty movie, you aren't going to sink in a quagmire of nihilism and depression if you stop pretending fat chicks are attractive.

Act like a fucking human being instead of trying to put everything on a pedestal for the sake of society's collective feelings you weak minded little faggot.
>>
fan fiction is good Scott Snyder is cancer..
>>
>pulling and buying
>doesn't like it
>doesn't even read it
Why do people do this?
>>
>>83952178
I don't like Scott Snyder's writing. ..... If the ending to a story sucks, then the whole story sucks retroactively. ...
>>
>>83952575
Really........... Is that so........?
>>
>>83952178
'A stink bucket of disappointment' –
>>
>>83952537

My interest in comics fades in and out. When it's out I don't read but keep buying, when it's in I have a big pile of comics to read.
>>
How long is Scott Snyder going to write Batman?
>>
>>83952604
Fair enough. It's probably still wise to keep halfway up to date, though, so you don't blow money/support shitty series.
>>
>>83952619
So until the end of time.
>>
How does it compare to Morrison's Batman?
>>
Even if you try to read it as a parody...it's a pretty shitty one.
>>
>>83952619
Until he gets JL, Wonder Woman or Trinity.
>>
>>83952661

Morrison's Batman actually had a point and served as a capstone to 70+ years of history. In my mind it's the canon ending of the character.
>>
>>83952661
Slightly less up its own ass but not as good
>>
>>83952687
He sucks as Batman writer.
>>
>>83952687
Pathetic ...
>>
>I'm gonna buy and support this book!
>but I won't read it to make sure what I'm supporting is good and not a total waste of money
You're the reason shit books and creative teams survive while good content dies.
>>
Snyder has succeeding (once again!) in writing the most gratingly dull-witted portrayal of the Bat-family characters since those awful early 90’s doldrums. Snyder writes Batman as an incompetent, aloof and impotent simpleton without his trademark meticulously honed mental center. Snyder’s Batman is mediocre at everything and forever content to play the passive fool whose only defense boils down to simply gritting his teeth and throwing out a one liner with each punch. This is the lowest-common denominator Batman, and once you make a character that is supposed to be the world’s greatest detective (a polymath who is regarded as one of the greatest minds of all time) into a shambling buffoon then you’ve broken the character.
>>
>>83952741

You might have a point if Batman wasn't one of the most consistently high selling books on the market.
>>
The Death of the Family? The death of my respect for Snyder’s Batman.
1 out of 10 (one point for Capullo’s art)
>>
My favorite part of your review is shitting on new original characters.

Because if its one thing cape comics don't need its characters that haven't been around for 60 years amirite folks?!
>>
>>83952783
one out of ten is pretty generous
snyder’s batman stories read like terrible fan fiction
>>
I agree with this review. I’m glad I came across it, because all the ‘mainstream’ sites seem to be haiing DOTF as a masterpiece. Nothing happened. The Joker showed up, killed some people, then waited in Arkham for Batman to come and foil his plans… oh hang on – what were his plans? Still not 100% sure.

All this was surrounded by weird nightmarish symbolism that didn’t really add up to anything. Maybe I just didn’t get it the symbolism, fine, but one thing I am 100% sure of, is there was no decent plot. Just simple A to B story telling. No twists, no cliff hangers, no deduction, no tension.

The Joker was TOO manic, TOO crazy. But at the same time, he managed to break into GCPD and kill loads of cops, find out the indentities of all the Bat Family, kill loads of mobsters. And yet he’s presented as being more mentally unstable as ever. So how can such a mad person do all that stuff? Snyder made the Joker almost supernaturally powerful, like Jason from Friday 13th – and that makes him LESS scary to me.

One thing that really annoyed me was Batman kept on saying things like “I hate you Joker!” and “I’ll desptry you, you’ll see!” which seemed really out of character. Does Batman lose his cool in such a childish manner?

I could forgive all this if the thing actually had an exciting plot. I really liked Black Mirror, was left unimpressed by the Owls arc, and after DOTF I won’t be buying Batman anymore. Shame.
>>
>>83952178
Exactly. There is no internal reality at all. Snyder writes the most poorly plotted Batman books I’ve ever read. Sloppy half ideas slapped together with tenuously pertinent (and ultimately pointless) allegory.

Even his nightmarish imagery falls flat for me, it’s too much “Saw” or “Human Centipede” – not enough “Funny Games” or “Martyrs”.
>>
>it's a Snyder adds an unnecessary twist to an established character issue
>>
>>83952827
Also not too impressed by DOTF or Owls, but I enjoyed Endgame.
>>
>>83952790

So just because a character is new I'm supposed to automatically suck his dick?

The new characters are generic, flat and redundant. If they were good characters and were given their own voices through realistic dialog it would be a different ballgame.

>>83952827
>and that makes him LESS scary to me.

The one thing I'll give Snyder credit for in that arc is the bit where Joker talks about lying under Gordon's bed. Got a shiver from that one.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.