[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the best era of the X-Men and why is it the Morrison
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: New_X-Men_Vol_1_114.jpg (143 KB, 300x461) Image search: [Google]
New_X-Men_Vol_1_114.jpg
143 KB, 300x461
What was the best era of the X-Men and why is it the Morrison era?
New X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men(until Austen) were all good to amazing.
What caused Morrison to leave?
What possessed Marvel to replace Casey with Austen?
Why did Claremont turn to utter shit not long after ending X-Treme X-Men?
Why in the blue hell did they allow Kordey to ruin the art on the last half of XX and random issues of NXM?
>>
>>83948059
I have this omnibus, I got 1/3 through it but had to stop because it was a mess.
>>
>>83948059
>Why did Claremont turn to utter shit not long after ending X-Treme X-Men?

Claremont already was past his prime way before he started writing X-Treme x-men.
>>
>>83948059
I can only answer a couple.

>What caused Morrison to leave?
Heavy friction with Marvel president Bill Jemas, who rejected many of Morrison's ideas like a sequel to Marvel Boy and a Silver Surfer story, among others. Quesada tried to smooth it over but apparently Morrison hated Jemas.

>Why in the blue hell did they allow Kordey to ruin the art on the last half of XX and random issues of NXM?
He had a reputation for being fast, and at the time he had a large amount of offers for work, as much as four books in a month. By his own admission there were bound to be some that were sub-par, and that happened to be X-Men. But they needed to get the books out so they accepted them.
>>
Feel like this book loses aall of the steam it had after the murder mystery arc. It really just falls to pieces. I enjoy Whedon's Astonishing more as a whole, but I can't deny that a lot of Morrison's ideas were fantastic.

Would also like to mention that that car chase moment Quitely does (I think during the Quire arc) might be the best, most coherently drawn action scene in the medium.
>>
>>83948059
>Why in the blue hell did they allow Kordey to ruin the art on the last half of XX and random issues of NXM?

Because they literally called up Kordey and said "hey bro, I know it's Friday, but we totally need you to draw up an issue of New X-men by Monday, 'kay thx, bye!" He was fast and reliable, but you're not going to get the best stuff on a rush filler jobs like that.

Personally I've kinda started to dig the art after I learned the background as to why it's so shoddy at places.
>>
>>83948059
>Why in the blue hell did they allow Kordey to ruin the art on the last half of XX and random issues of NXM
Because the other artist were late and Kordey could churn out a comic in like a weekend. He's a good artist, but taking NXM with that caveat was a poisoned chalice and his career kind of suffered from the reputation it got him

Also OG Claremont Era is clearly the best. Because there was only one X-Men book
>>
>>83948227
>Feel like this book loses aall of the steam it had after the murder mystery arc.
Planet X, whether by design or by coincidence, is really monotonous and boring.

Here Comes Tomorrow is just crazy enough to be worth slogging through everything after Riot at Xavier's to cap off the run
>>
>>83948164
This is true.
But it seemed like a really sudden drop after XX and then he left the fucking planet with New Exiles and New Excalibur, those were so bad.

>>83948189
Ah, I figured Kordey was likely being rushed.
Damn shame Morrison couldn't keep on writing, maybe that's why the last few arcs were of a lower quality.

I really wonder why Casey left/was replaced. Was Uncanny X-Men selling bad? I was really digging his run.
>>
>>83948227
>I enjoy Whedon's Astonishing more as a whole
top kek /co/mblr
>>
File: kordey_tarrasboulba2008.jpg (143 KB, 686x619) Image search: [Google]
kordey_tarrasboulba2008.jpg
143 KB, 686x619
>>83948059
>hy in the blue hell did they allow Kordey to ruin the art on the last half of XX and random issues of NXM?

Marvel would rather put out a shit comic than delay it.

This is what Kordey's art looks like when he's not drawing an entire comic in a week
>>
>>83948059
>What was the best era of the X-Men
The 80's
>>
>>83948575
Astonishing is the only thing I've liked from Whedon's entire body of work. He is clearly an X-Men fan and did his damndest with Cassaday to write something entertaining.
>>
>>83948673
>the only thing I've liked from Whedon's entire body of work

Buffy was pretty good until Season 5 and Angel was good through out. That's all I like from him.
>>
>>83948059
Morrison era is a hit and miss
Fuck morrison, though
>>
>>83948673
don't reply to a troll

>>83948649
THIS. anyone who disagrees is underrage casual
>>
File: feel8.jpg (14 KB, 216x233) Image search: [Google]
feel8.jpg
14 KB, 216x233
>>83948189
>rejected many of Morrison's ideas
>like a sequel to Marvel Boy and a Silver Surfer story
>among others

Why let Morrison go when you can fire Jemas and live with Hypercrisis moneys.
Someone at Marvel is really retarded.
>>
>>83949120
If it helps, one if his Marvel Boy issues was apparently going to be the Kree Bible.

That doesn't help at all, does it
>>
File: 21kwa45-414x650.jpg (91 KB, 414x650) Image search: [Google]
21kwa45-414x650.jpg
91 KB, 414x650
>>83949120
And then this happened
>>
>>83948372
>>I really wonder why Casey left/was replaced.

I don't know why exactly he left, but he had a Q&A years ago where he discusses the run. tl;dr version of the three things that went wrong:

1. Didn't like the artists he was paired with, prefers to work with artists he has chemistry with. The list he gave them was Sean Phillips, Ashley Wood, Eddie Campbell, and Javier Pulido; he got Ian Churchill, Ron Garney, and Aaron Lopestri.

2. Couldn't compete with Grant Morrison, and questions why they'd even have a second core x-book not written by Morrison. Also made him weary of stepping on Morrison's toes in any way

3. He's just not a big X-fan, and didn't have the burning desire to write the book, admitting it was mainly a career move.
>>
>>83949353
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/08/02/random-joe-casey-qa-march-6-july-31-2012/
>>
File: 1432986517064.gif (15 KB, 300x600) Image search: [Google]
1432986517064.gif
15 KB, 300x600
>>83948096
>buying omnis before having read the material
dal wew
>>
File: 1.gif (40 KB, 220x153) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
40 KB, 220x153
>>83948059
I read this recently and heard after the fact that it's meant to subtly be some epic Morrisonian deconstruction of capes. Anyone care to fill me in?
>>
>>83950560
Sure, I'll fill you in

When some writer does anythign that is a little different from the usual cape shit wannabe critics staple the world "deconstruction" on it so they can be IN like they knew what the fuck they were talking about.

What's more, everytime a writer writes a "deconstruction" comic it makes more likely than his future books will be labeled as such because he clearly is a "deconstruction" author. Anything from Moore is a deconstruciton for example.
>>
>>83951129
Morrison's X-Men legitimately is a deconstruction of Claremont and 90s X-Men, it was an attempt to put to rest concepts like Phoenix, the Shi'ar, Magneto, Weapon X and Wolverine's past, edgy loners with mysterious pasts (Fantomex), and so on. He left before he could get to the reconstructive part.
>>
>>83948059
Parts of Morrison's X-Men run are really fun, but he caused some serious damage to the very foundations of the X-Men concept that the franchise has yet to recover from. Most of the problems people have with the current X-Men stem from things introduced by Morrison.

Also, some of his stuff was very poorly paced, like everything with Sublime. Nova and pretty much everything related to her was all good though.
>>
My favorite X-Men era is everything from the end of Dark Phoenix to Mutant Massacre.

Romita Jr and a bit of Barry Smith on Uncanny
The beginning and end of Sienkiewicz on New Mutants

Good stuff
>>
>>83951733
This.

Great run, but Morrison got cut off and also decided to destroy too much. I mean fuck a racist mold is supposed to be the new Magneto?
>>
>>83951129
If anything New X-Men reads a lot like his JLA a greatest hits of all the facets and kinds of X-Men stories he enjoyed.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.