[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, it turns out my city's library has every published volume
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: albb1gb.png (48 KB, 280x369) Image search: [Google]
albb1gb.png
48 KB, 280x369
So, it turns out my city's library has every published volume of Asterix.

Where do I stop reading, /co/?
>>
What kind of question is that? If you know the series is good up to a certain point supposedly, you should be able to notice a declining quality all by yourself when it happens.
>>
>>83944436
Surely it's more like the Simpsons where people have varying opinions and some people think there are books to skip around in after the drop-off or whatever.
>>
>>83944396
>Where do I stop reading, /co/?
When you've read them all?
>>
Read them all and form your own opinion.
>>
>>83944396
When Goscinny dies.
>>
>>83944396
The only one you really need to skip is "sky falling on your head" or whatever the alien/disney mockery was.
>>
>>83944618
This.

>>83944528
There's still some good stuff after that, though.

Has anyone read the Asterix by the new creatives?
>>
>>83944396
Well, you see anon, the series were created and made by two guys. One was writing, another drawing (maybe a little sharing there).

One day, the writer died. The artist took on full writing responsibility from then on.

THERE, you should stop.
>>
Just read it all. The quality drops after Goscinny dies though.
>>
The last two or three after Goscinnys death (The Great Divide, The Black Gold) are still okayish, since the basic story was already laid out by him. Avoid "Asterix and the falling sky" at all costs, its like a shitty fanfiction.
>>
>>83944618
>alien/disney mockery

Actually, it was more along the lines of Manga/Disney mockery and about as subtle as a kick in the junk.

Hell, it was only after Goscinny's death when cross-issue references were highlighted by a fucking reference box, no matter how blatant they were.
>>
>>83944396
>Where do I stop
Why? Does your library charge to borrow books? I don't think you have much to lose by accidentally reading a free comic that you don't like much.

But yeah, at some point the original writer died, and surprise surprise the franchise suffers. If you don't wish to waste any of your oh so precious time just find that point.
>>
>>83944396

It goes to shit after Goscinny died, so you should stop after Asterix in Belgium. But if you want to know what I mean by "goes to shit", you should check out The Great Divide and then the newest one. I read The Great Divide as a kid of 10 years in the 90s and even then I noticed the quality drop, even though I didn't know that Goscinny didn't write it.

Uderzo is a good artist, but he can't into humor and writing in general.
>>
>>83944463

It's really not like that. The old volumes are still bought and are available at every newsstand or supermarket (speaking for Germany, here). The new ones also, of course. People buy them when going on vacations etc. so Asterix is still very much present. Everyone I know can attest that "new" Asterix, the Asterix since the beginning of the 80s, isn't like the old Asterix. We still read the new stuff, but it's more a reflex because no new good Asterix will be coming.
>>
>>83947080
This is the correct answer.

Anybody think it's a good idea to pick Asterix back up now that Uderzo has finally stopped writing? How was the new volume?
>>
>>83949299
>How was the new volume?

Which one? Was there anything past the Falling sky?
>>
>>83945190
It is... alright I guess? It's really just a simple Asterix story with some obvious parallels to current political events.
They played it safe, no high-stakes and that served them well.
>>
>>83949384
Asterix and the Picts.
It reads kind of like a mediocre early Goscinny book. It's not fantastic, but shows potential.
>>
>>83944436
>>83944499
These.

>>83946925
I'd say more of a steady decline than a straight drop.

>>83947080
>Avoid "Asterix and the falling sky" at all costs
I bet you don't like train wrecks either.
>>
Thank you, thread, you've given me a lot to think about.

I'm especially interested by what >>83949276 said, because even though I've been aware of Asterix since I was a kid I've only read the five or six volumes I happened to run across and it seems like it's a really integral part of European comics culture.
>>
>>83949430
There is another one after that. Caesar's papyrus or something like that.
>>
>>83944396
read all ya fucker, i can'rt even buy the most recent shit, you lucky dog
>>
>>83949430
Asterix and the Picts, at least in my opinion, was shit. It had way to many references to modern culture in my opinion, which just doesn't fit in an Asterix book (the one that stood out the most to me was a character called wifix)
>>
>>83944618
this
>>
>>83952437
it was ok. the last page alone was worth it.
>>
>>83944396
avoid the falling sky, the one with Obelix becoming a statue, and latraviata. the feminist story is probably hate by default in neo/4chan/ too.
>>
File: luke.jpg (40 KB, 171x338) Image search: [Google]
luke.jpg
40 KB, 171x338
>>83952208
>it seems like it's a really integral part of European comics culture.

It is. As a European comic fan I don't like how European comics are often 'reduced' to Asterix, Tintin and maybe a few other titles (by Americans, but also by the many Europeans that don't really care about comics), but I can't deny how huge Asterix is.

Lucky Luke is huge as well, you might know about him, and if you like Asterix, you'll enjoy the Lucky Luke stories written by Asterix writer René Goscinny.

>>83958359
Oh yeah I remember, the ending was pretty cool. Overall I thought the new story was just really average, the art is good though.
>>
>>83956473

Asterix has used modern culture references like that from day 1 (like caricatures of celebrities), though. It's just that since they are dated they don't look so jarring or just aren't recognizable at all.

>>83958946

I think they'd enjoy the resolution though.
>>
File: Lucky Luke.jpg (52 KB, 426x312) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Luke.jpg
52 KB, 426x312
>>83959416
>if you like Asterix, you'll enjoy the Lucky Luke stories written by Asterix writer René Goscinny
I like Luke but the writing (or at least the translation) is kinda different. Still great if you like Western stuff.
>>
>>83961250
You're right I think, but I can't tell what it is that makes the writing different.. Maybe Lucky Luke is simpler?
Besides the writing, of course the setting and characters aren't the same, but I can still recommend it to people who wouldn't consider themselves to be fans of Western stuff.
>>
>>83944528
Came here to post this. The only worthwhile book after that is the illustrated story about how Obelix fell into the magic potion as a boy.
>>
File: Lucky Shot.jpg (677 KB, 1715x1055) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Shot.jpg
677 KB, 1715x1055
>>83963121
Morris didn't like puns as much as Uderzo, so there's that.
>>
File: Lucky Shot 2.jpg (510 KB, 1722x1065) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Shot 2.jpg
510 KB, 1722x1065
>>
>>83965734
>>83965753

Memeshot Luke
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.