[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mutants in Xmen universe have devasting powers >many of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: Senator kelly.jpg (20 KB, 566x346) Image search: [Google]
Senator kelly.jpg
20 KB, 566x346
>Mutants in Xmen universe have devasting powers
>many of said mutants are unable to control these powers
>government wants to keep tabs on people who can make cars explode with their minds, or shoot fire out of their hands
>government is treated as the bad guy

Reminder that Senator Kelly and the government in general in the Xmen universe did nothing wrong.
>>
>>83941505
>government wants to keep tabs on people who can make cars explode with their minds, or shoot fire out of their hands

There is nothing wrong with this, but it always goes to the extreme of internment camps and flying death robots

The scene with Jean Grey debating Senator Kelly at the start is awful. She acts like he wants them all dead and he's just trying to have a registered list of who can do what
>>
>>83941505
How are the mutants treated in the X-Men movies now? Last movie I had seen was where they were ok with them, but that was before all the new ones came out.
>>
>>83941505
As it it always is with government policies; it's good on paper.

Sure, keep tabs on mutants but don't invade their privacy, imprison them, send giant robots to target them specifically and murder them, experiment on them, whatever.
It always comes down to that.
>>
>>83941505
It really illustrates why X-men don't work on their own. In a world where the only threats are other Mutants, X-men really don't have any arguments as to why they should be tolerated.
>>
>>83941505
This is a world where a kid can wake up, go to school and accidentally kill over 200 people.

It's a dangerous world
>>
>>X-Men want to prove they aren't dangerous.
>>Their mascot is a guy with blades coming out of his knuckles and a history of going on killing sprees.
>>
>>83942164
sounds pretty american
>>
>>83942081
Shame they don't work in shared universes either

Someone who can level buildings with energy blasts should be equally feared or celebrated regardless of if he needs a robot suit or not
>>
>they wanted to make an analogy to homosexuality/civil issues
>they accidentally made an analogy to gun control
How do you mess that up?
>>
>>83942188
Its' not an accident in America
>>
>>83942182
Well to be fair he was just a guy who could heal before he was kidnapped and experiment on by shadowy government people
>>
>>83942226

It's fucking racism! Racism doesn't make sense!!
>>
>>83941505
How is keeping tabs on them gonna actually help or prevent anything bad from happening?
>>
>>83942270
It was originally just an analogy for being weirdos. Though it doesn't work well for gun control since there's also no decision in getting your powers.
>>
>>83942270
It started to go wrong when they implied that the gays/blacks are inherently dangerous. Then they turned a Malcolm X allegory into Hitler.
>>
>>83942226
They work extremely poorly in a universe with Thor.

>"Sure, I can shoot lasers out of my eyes, but I would like to remind everyone that there is a walking suit of empty, magic metal that also shoots giant massive laser beams and wrecked a small town. Go ahead, try to put me in a special camp for this, but I wan to remind everyone, the giant walking pile of metal is from somewhere else, and I'm American."
>"The government doesn't want me to be able to defend myself against those scary things that came out of the sky!"
*Cue X-men being protected by the NRA*
>>
>>83942018
In Apocalypse it is a mixed bag. Many have accepted them and some even worship mutants. Magneto is hated but only because he is fucking Magneto.
>>
>>83941505
But my mutant metaphor
>>
>>83942309

and bone claws

>>83942314

well we just move them all into nice like neighborhoods and subdivisions together and watch them
>>
>>83942270
>>83942334

And puberty. which has gotten completely lost in the intervening 60+ years
>>
>>83942368
I want this.
I want all of this.
This would seriously be an amazing storyline in todays climate.
>>
>>83942426
>bone claws
This is still one of the dumbest retcons about Wolverine, and that's saying something
>>
>>83942334
Not super well but it's not like they aren't touching on it, you know? I'd like to try and avoid this topic touching on real politics though, even though I did technically bring it up.

>>83942368
I'm gonna bring this up and hope it dies here but:
Most gun owners don't have a terrific opinion of the NRA for reasons you might not imagine.
>>
>>83942368
Well the NRA DOES have a history of helping minorities arm themselves against hate groups.....then again they also have a history of the exact opposite.
>>
>>83942426
>well we just move them all into nice like neighborhoods and subdivisions together and watch them
. . . oh
So your just gonna take some 12 -18 year old kid(because remember mutation mostly occur during puberty) away from his family and put him in aplce filled with other people like him, simply because he's different and "danger" (remember there are far more Beaks then Storms)
You don't see how easy and quick that can go horribly wrong?
>>
>>83942701
>You don't see how easy and quick that can go horribly wrong?

I don't know XAVIER, do you?
>>
>>83942856
it's different when it's school shaped and of the parents volition
>>
>>83942701

>>83942856

Xavier does get parent's permission and does schooling.

>>83942471

eh, i dunno i think claws being in the gloves is dumb and so they're natural and metal, his skeleton is metal. oh it's part of his mutation ok. hell when he was created they didn't even know what his powers were beyond "Can survive the Hulk"

least he's not a literal evolved wolverine
>>
>>83942373
Honestly he seems more feared than hated. Again, only because he is fucking Magneto.
>>
>>83943560
You mean Mag-fucking-neto.
Scoops. Scoops haagendas.
>>
>>83942081

That provides decent conflict in a fantasy setting then
>>
>>83941505

It's just a 2nd Amendment gun control parallel.
Don't get bent out of shape over it.
>>
>>83942081
>In a world where the only threats are other Mutants, X-men really don't have any arguments as to why they should be tolerated.
What about the fact that the actions of individuals don't automatically taint their entire race?

If Joe Acidbreath decides to go and rob a bank with his powers, then Jimmy Laserhands is still completely innocent. It doesn't matter that they're both mutants, they're entirely separate people and should be judged as individuals.

In real life, the only real threat is other humans, but we get along just fine judging people by their own actions; it's when people resort to bigotry (in the vein of "someone else with your opinion blew up a bus, therefore your opinion is wrong and you're a mass murderer") that things start messing up. There's no reason it shouldn't work in a setting where people have superpowers.
>>
>>83941838
To be fair, if you just watch it from the beginning, it is perfectly plausible that Kelly is just scaremongering and exaggeratin, and even dog-whistling, about the power of mutants in this movie universe, at this early scene in the first film, because we haven't yet seen in action what mutants are capable of.
>>
>>83941505
>this is what flatscans believe
>>
Yeah it's hard to disagree with Kelly when Magneto kills a billion people.
>>
>>83944831

Agreed.

Hell you could even argue that after the end of X-2 that mutants should be registered and the government should keep track of them. Xavier nearly killed every human on the planet in under 5 minutes and there is literally nothing stopping him from doing it again if he just felt like it.
>>
Here's something that always bothered me about the x-men movies. They rarely show the mutants helping people with their powers. Maybe if the movies actually showed mutants being productive members of society then I might actually sympathize with them more.

- Storm controls weather why isn't she helping plant crops or fixing droughts with her powers?
- Xavier/Jean Grey can read minds why don't they scan every prisoner in jail to see if anyone has been wrongfully convicted of a crime. They could solve every crime in the world
- Nightcrawler can teleport. He could drop Brett Ratner into a volcano and we wouldn't have to sit through X3.
>>
>>83941505
In the ideal world, the X-Men would agree to registration. Because the registration act is a hell of a lot less invasive than Cerebro...

Charles, Jean and Hank should liaise with Kelly to create a Mutant/Human think tank to best represent both sides interests.

But no.

Charles is all about his secluded little school with his omega level mutants, military jets and cutting edge combat training. Preaching integration and practicing isolation.

I don't doubt Humans would go too far with registration. But Mutants refuse to be a part of the solution. Instead they're idly sitting and waiting for human nature to change, rather than pushing for that change to happen at the top.

"We can't give them reason to fear us. Lol jk, lets freeze time and creep into the Oval Office with one of the mutants who assassinated dozens of secret service men, and nearly killed the president. Then let's threaten him. And tell him we will be watching him. DEMOCRACY WORKS!" - Charles 'fuck all humans' Xavier.
>>
>>83947306
Because most of the time, the usual depictions of the reactions of the people being helped by mutants are either "Oh noes, a mutant helped me, persecute him!" or "hey kid, let's abuse-- err, use that powers of yours for the benefit of me-- I mean mankind, if you know what I mean *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*".
>>
>>83941505
Most mutants are harmless. Its like only one in a million mutants have devastating powers. Should the vast majority of mutants be subjugated due to the terrorist acts of the few? And is the govt better? They weaponize mutants just like all the other bad guys. If they start keeping registries it is a slippery slope to discrimination and exploitation.
>>
>>83947306
Magneto helped a guy from turning into a grilled kebab and that got his Polish wife and kid killed in Apocalypse
>>
>>83947650

Ok I give you that. From what I can tell mutants have used their powers to save 2 people. Magneto saved a person and then proceeded to murder a billion other people and Angel who saved his father though I think that was retconned with the rest of X3.

It still doesn't help me think of mutants as sympathetic when they could do so much more.
>>
>>83944650
>but we get along just fine judging people by their own actions
What is racial profiling?
>>
>>83941505
so much this
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.