[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the few works that has me always coming back is Hugo Pratt's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: corto maltese arcana.jpg (236 KB, 900x442) Image search: [Google]
corto maltese arcana.jpg
236 KB, 900x442
One of the few works that has me always coming back is Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese, and especially La Janeusse (set in 1905) and Corte sconta detta Arcana (1918). Something about those two speaks to me of the honest to goodness inanity of adventure, which as a byproduct forges two dissimiles into an exceptional friendship. And I guess I enjoy seeing the continuity.

Does /co/ have anything in comics they find somehow unique in spirit?
>>
>>83939641
bump
>>
>>83939641
Slowly waiting on Corto English releases in the US. So far we've gotten 3

Under the Sign of the Capricorn
Beyond the Windy Isles
Celtic Tales
>>
File: rasputin.jpg (101 KB, 680x1500) Image search: [Google]
rasputin.jpg
101 KB, 680x1500
>>83940049
>try to make a thinly veiled Corto Maltese thread
Thanks for the bump.
>>
>>83940132
I still need to pick up Beyond the Windy Isles.
>>
>>83940132
I think there used to be a French anon translating Corto Maltese to English by himself.
Used to storytime it on /tg/.
>>
File: Jonah Hex by Moore 01.jpg (124 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex by Moore 01.jpg
124 KB, 612x612
>>83939641
Jonah Hex is a very unique character to me, especially within the context of a universe like DC's. Before the New52 muddled things up a bit, his was a story that we knew had a beginning, a (very long) middle, and then an end. And it wasn't just some nebulous end, the obvious but unclear finality of a character belonging to a bygone era. His death was something we saw happen. Something with a date. It was a very precise, definite, absolute ending that loomed over him one way or another and added a whole new dimension to his character. Because we knew, no matter how many times he cheated death by the skin of his teeth or just by plain luck, that he just would not be able to escape forever.
That, coupled with all the other events we knew of his youth, his time with the apache, his stint in the Confederate Cavalry, his return to the tribe, all these things that likewise had dates and places and names attached to them, lent to the character a sense of deep, rich history that shaped him from cradle to grave.
>>
>>83940379
There was a thread last week about a Euro anon offering to translate a ton of Dylan Dog. I hope they pop up again
>>
File: corto-maltc3a9s-foto.jpg (27 KB, 550x297) Image search: [Google]
corto-maltc3a9s-foto.jpg
27 KB, 550x297
I've nothing to contribute, just passing by to say that Corto is a dreamboat.
>>
File: Corto Maltes 35.jpg (79 KB, 429x545) Image search: [Google]
Corto Maltes 35.jpg
79 KB, 429x545
Also, long as we're talking Corto, I absolutely adore "E riparleremo di gentiluomini di fortuna", the one about the four cards made out of whale bone. It feels like a pure adventure strip but is coated in this very thin veil of nostalgia and longing, like the last treasure hunt in the world. Absolutely beautiful strip, and the ending always makes me smile a bit.

>>83940631
Ain't that the truth.
>>
>>83940721
That strip was my introduction to Raputin as far as Corto goes. They were such a great pair
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.