[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked up the first 5 issue trade of Kamala's Ms. Marvel,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: ms marvel-feat-630x420.jpg (103 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
ms marvel-feat-630x420.jpg
103 KB, 630x420
Just picked up the first 5 issue trade of Kamala's Ms. Marvel, I was expecting a terrible sjw-pandering meme character, but I actually ended up liking her.

Just bought the second trade (issues 6-11), is there a bad arc/writer I should dip out of the series to avoid any time soon, or the opposite with her in another series that's even better?
>>
GWWilson never leaves as the writer, as far as I know. So you're safe on that front.
>>
>>83938644
SJW detected.
>>
File: Lol_louder.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
Lol_louder.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>83938764
>>
Whoopdee Damn Do
>>
The part about worthless youth or whatever was pretty retarded.
But I mean at least there was the bird guy.
>>
>>83938644
Most of it is pretty solid

You can keep reading
>>
>>83938644
It stays good up through the current issues. same writer, same artist.
>>
Kamala is extremely likable because she is flawed and makes mistakes. What makes her endearing is that she is learning and she is getting better.
>>
Ms. Marvel is somehow simultaneously the justification for the current wave of sjw-bait at Marvel, and an ongoing argument for why all of those titles are awful.
>Why the fuck are we getting all this cutesy shit?
Look at Ms. Marvel
>Are any of these women-led books fun and earnest? or are they all a preachy bore?
Look at Ms. Marvel
>>
File: hot kamala.png (284 KB, 520x738) Image search: [Google]
hot kamala.png
284 KB, 520x738
>I picked up Ms. Marvel and ended up liking it!

BIG FUCKING SHOCK
>>
>>83938764
t someone who doesn't read comics
>>
>>83940925
except Ms.Marvel is the antithesis of the SJW-bait, as it's a well-thought book not revolving around the "difference" of the main character.
>>
>>83938644
>I was expecting a terrible sjw-pandering meme character, but I actually ended up liking her.

You've stumbled onto the worst-kept secret of /co/ - a solid 90+% of the people bitching about Kamala have only read as far as one out-of-context cropped meme quote panel from a random SJW hate thread.

It's a genuinely fun book, not without its missteps here and there, but far better than the average cape ongoing from the past few years.
>>
>>83941256
That's the thing, it's the one title that resembles those titles in every superficial way, but manages to have a heart beyond that.
>>
>>83941416
This.
>>
>>83941496
I've seen a lot of anti-SJWs mention Kamala as the right way to do Diversity. Which she pretty much is.

It helps that she's a fan of the established characters and doesn't go around trying to prove she's better than they are. That's the #1 mistake that is usually made with new characters. Like Jane Foster Thor being a better Thor than real Thor and beating up people in the name of feminism. Kamala isn't really a target for Mary Sue accusations.
>>
I've wanted a superhero like Kamala for ages. A Marvel-style version of a magical girl.

Which means Marvel will find some way to kill her off in a crossover.
>>
>>83938764

Back to /tv/
>>
>>83941416
>>83941500

Yep right here. I could give a fuck about your internet proxy war, this is a well written book with a fresh well written original character and it's the closet thing we've had to our own Ditko + Lee Spider-Man run in this generation.
>>
Can you guys every have a discussion of Kamala that doesn't revolve around talking about how cute she is or SJWs?
>>
>>83941634

Funnily enough, I doubt anyone would even care if Kamala showed up Carol. Her book already outsells Carol's by a considerable margin. It's quite sad, really.
>>
>>83941857
>A Marvel-style version of a magical girl

We've had tons of those in Runaways and Young Avengers years ago, they just disappear without outside intrest. hope Kamala avoids the same fate.
>>
>>83938644
It's amazing what a competent writer can do. They can actually make entertainment entertaining.
>>
>>83942167
Yes, her worship of Carol convinces nobody. The Marvel push to make her the Greatest Marvel Heroine Ever will never stop feeling forced.
>>
>>83941634
Jane Thor being uncertain and aware of the big shoes she is stepping into could have led to a great growth arc. By Mary Suing her, exploration and development is missed.
>>
>>83942169

Nico Minoru is in A-Force
>>
>>83942301
It doesn't help that all of her interactions with Carol are boring, and generic. Pretty sure just about every other team-up she's had was way better.
>>
>>83942598
>It doesn't help that all of her interactions with Carol are boring, and generic.

Punished Kamala vs. "Literally Hitler" Carol in Civil War II should spice their dynamic up quite a bit. I'm looking forward to that.
>>
>>83942301
to be fair carol did save her and her family's life once so the hero worship kind of makes sense plus she has no clue about all the shit carol did back in the day.
the idea of kamala finding out almost makes CW2 worth it.
>kamala: oh god my idol is a fucking lunatic.
>>
>>83943243
this is the only part of cw2 that im looking forward to
>>
>>83942700
>>83943243
>>83943673
What has Carol done?

I only know that CW2 is about using Minority Report, which I'm all for.
>>
>>83942700
'probably going to end up separating the Kamala brand from Carol, because of her superior sales.
>>
>>83943732
well their was the time she beat a mother in front of her kid when she tried to leave the country to avoid becoming registered back in civil war 1 or the time she threw a skull into space and watched it die and a time when she let a supervillain blow himself up in a attempt to kill her knowing it wouldn't work.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.