[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 80s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: police academy.jpg (31 KB, 644x480) Image search: [Google]
police academy.jpg
31 KB, 644x480
Remember that time when every popular R-rated movie got a cartoon?
>>
It's because we didn't pretend that kids don't watch/play things meant for adults.
>>
>>83930003
Everything's made for 12 year olds these days so it doesn't happen anymore
>>
>>83930003
Yep. My sister took her 5-year old to go see Jurassic World when it came out. Twice because he liked it so much. The fact that we make fun of Call of Duty saying that mostly children play it saying "your mom" jokes is evident of this. Kids have always enjoyed a level of Hollywood "realistic" violence, look at the fucking cowboy era and how every little boy wanted to have a toy gun.

I kind of miss tv show spin-offs. What little kid wouldn't watch a Jurassic World TV show with cartoon Chris Pratt living with his pet Raptor as they get called in around the world because some dino that got loose after the incidents of the movie have been spotted in China or Texas?

Dreamworks seems to be the only one who does it. Disney is APPARENTLY doing them with Tangled and Big Hero 6 but holy shit are they taking fucking forever to do it.

I loved the Angry Birds movie and would love it if they made a tv show with the movie characters.
>>
>>83929543
Who the fuck decided that games and movies should have a rating anyway? Can you imagine that fucking job? Sitting there and deciding what other people should watch or not. Censorship is even worse, it's literally people butchering other people's work.
>>
>>83930677
>Dinosaurs randomly showing up around the world
>Turns out it's random evil experiments by InGen being run by an Evil Dr. Wu
>Dr. Wu is slowly transforming himself into a Dinosaur hybrid
>End of the first season reveals the true head of Ingen is the I-Rex who gained full Sapience and is using Wu as a figurehead/Lieutenant.
>>
File: inaction.jpg (56 KB, 501x321) Image search: [Google]
inaction.jpg
56 KB, 501x321
>>83929543
Literally anything vaguely popular would get a cartoon in the 90's.
Most e-celebs would have a cartoon in the 90's
>>
>>83930677
>Tangled spin-off
To what end? The bitch isn't even magical, nor can do hair-fu anymore. I can only see this having merit if it's about her daughter who inherited her magic hair.
>>
>>83929543
Why did every movie that was turned into a cartoon need some random animal sidekick that had nothing to do with the show?
>>
It's not like anyone even pays attention to ratings anyway. How many people took their small children to see Watchmen and Deadpool, then complained when it was too adult?
>>
>>83931230
Kids love cute animals. Also extra toy sales.
>>
There was going to be a Gremlins cartoon, but then New Batch bombed.
>>
>>83931349
Also an Aliens cartoon. Not sure how that was going to work.
>>
So if TBBT was made in 80's it would alsa had an animated series, fucking hell
>>
>>83931385
I'd imagine the Marines are a diverse group of characters with Ripley as the leader or the main personality and they fight Xenomorphs. They just omit the face hugger part and have either a new way to make Aliens or a massive hive that you don't see reproduce.
>>
>>83931429
I can imagine this animated cancer ever so clearly. Although this show is still much better than it's Belorussian low budget rip-off. They didn't even bother buying the rights for the show before re-filming it with local actors like Russia or Ukraine does.
>>
>>83929543
there were toys of this cartoon? existed a Callahan toy? Because I want one.
>>
File: 1466014706323.jpg (9 KB, 228x227) Image search: [Google]
1466014706323.jpg
9 KB, 228x227
>>83931643
>Belorussian low budget rip-off

Fucking shit it's true!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6PZjEEHOAE
>>
File: PoliceFigureLineup1a.jpg (116 KB, 748x563) Image search: [Google]
PoliceFigureLineup1a.jpg
116 KB, 748x563
>>83931809
There were toys.
>>
>>83931429
If it was made in the 70's you would guarantee a Hanna Barbera cartoon with some wacky twist like the gang is in space or another dimension.
>>
>>83929543
Kid-oriented toys and media derived from adult-rated media will always be fascinating to me.
>>
>>83934162
https://youtu.be/WtW6wS3z97Q
>>
>>83934237
Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q
>>
>>83934271
is this real life
>>
>>83931349
That sucks, because New Batch is my favorite of the two. Really looking forward to the Gremlins set in Lego Dimensions, though.
>>
It still fascinates me to this day that they made a cartoon, video game, and toyline based off of the Toxic Avenger movies. Out of boredom I did watch a few episodes of it and to it's credit, the show was very self-aware.
>>
What happened to the toy driven society we had in the 80's and 90's anyway?
>>
File: 04-soulpatch.jpg (63 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
04-soulpatch.jpg
63 KB, 640x640
>>83934162
>Sheldon would have some wacky ScoobyDoo tier robot assistant
>All episodes are the same: The gang got bullied by bullies, Sheldon invents some wacky machines time travels space travels etc that causes troubles, Leonard have to rescue Penny, bullies got bullied, everybody laughs, the end
>>
>>83934332
>>83934271
>>83934237
we doing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tClTFRqtcKA
let's do this.
>>
>>83934375
Some formulas are easier and more profitable to just recycle with the merchandise being an after thought.
>>
>>83934362
It also inspired toy and cartoon lines for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Swamp Thing.

But they made toy lines for everything. Crash Dummies had a line, Terminator 2, Kevin Costner Robin Hood,

Things just worked out so fantastically well for Robocop, Ghostbusters, and Beetlejuice that everything was a great idea.
>>
>>83934457
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khykYjeiFno
>>
>>83934375
Kids would rather play on their ipads than with toys.
>>
>>83934375

Internet, video games, and smartphones meant that people were watching less tv and buying fewer toys
>>
>>83934516
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLop82LjV48
>>
>>83934516
They had own cartoon? Geez I don't know why they are so fucking popular and they memerize them in every fucking show
>>
>>83934549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK6hb602588
>>
>>83934516
Looks like a lot more fun than Father of The Pride.
>>
>>83934441
They would travel to a new planet but the bullies would always be there. sometimes as robots, sometimes lizard men, sometimes swamp men, but they are always the same three guys in letterman jackets.

the names would change to things like

The Bully Boys
The Whooley Boys
The Ghoulie Boys
>>
File: ok.gif (3 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
3 MB, 500x390
>>83934271
>Those posts on John K blog about how horrible was to work on this show
>>
>>83934527
You don't think that is a symptom of the lack of merchandise and not the cause?
>>
>>83934600
Pretty certain they could have fit in a few more Chuck Norris name drops.
>>
>>83934629
what a hell
>>
>>83931163

I remember this show being really preachy and hypocritical with ham-fisted "lessons" in every episode.

For example, there was an episode where a villainess was a makeup mogul. The lesson for that episode was that you should just be yourself and you don't need to wear makeup to feel good about yourself. During the commercial break, there was an ad for Mary Kate and Ashley's own product line at Walmart was was selling products such as makeup, clothing and toiletries to girls.
>>
>>83934600
Well I would post the, like, 10 second clip of the canned Aliens cartoon animation that actually showed up at some point but I can't find it.
So here's a classic toy commercial instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE
>>
>>83934271
how the fuck did Hanna Barbera stay in business
>>
>>83934893
>Ripley and Bishop
>Space Marines
>>
>>83934895

They made the flintstones and so they got tons of money to keep replicating it's success
>>
>>83934853
A lot of these shows had these cheesy PSA's tacked on at the end of each episode. I don't think any kids out there watching these ever took them seriously to begin with; I sure as hell didn't.
>>
>>83934895
Profit margins. If you cut all the right corners, all you have to do is pump out enough shit.
>>
Most of the ones I remember were from the 90s.
>Conan
>Highlander
>Robocop: Alpha Commando
>Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles
>Toxic Avenger
>not a movie but Tales from the Cryptkeeper with John Kassir using a gentler voice
>>
>>83934893
Ah, here it is
Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestle Cartoon show.
Had to use the whole episode, but that should be fine for those who are curious as to what the show could possibly be about.
I'll give you a hint: Not wrestling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3Unhl3cZk
>>
>>83935140
There was also a children's game show called Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted house.
>>
>>83935202
And here's Swamp Thing
He's amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg
>>
>>83930957
old people who have no idea what they are watching and their old tyme sensibilities are confumbled by the violence and sexy things
>>
>>83930957
DESU parents and tumblrs should know what kind of content something has before they let their kid/themselves see it.
>>
>>83935320
i remember that!
>>
File: Tales from the cryptkeeper.jpg (51 KB, 347x381) Image search: [Google]
Tales from the cryptkeeper.jpg
51 KB, 347x381
>>83935140
>>not a movie but Tales from the Cryptkeeper with John Kassir using a gentler voice
>>83935320
>There was also a children's game show called Secrets of the Cryptkeeper's Haunted house.
There was also a tales from the crypt cartoon for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZmEJFS5bBc
>>
File: 743795ASerbianFilmposter1.jpg (91 KB, 760x1070) Image search: [Google]
743795ASerbianFilmposter1.jpg
91 KB, 760x1070
>>83930665
>Everything's made for 12 year olds these days so it doesn't happen anymore
Yeah sure kid.
>>
>>83932475
>Kingpin
I NEED IT
>>
>>83936383
>Yay, he used the word "everything", that's my opening to reference a complete nonsequitur!
>>
>>83934360
>that fucking scene where she starts talking about how she was traumatized on Lincoln's birthday and he just cuts her off and says we don't have time for this
If that wasn't the best lampshading a series has ever done of itself, I don't know what is.
>>
>>83935140
hehehe

https://youtu.be/eliQEStzhu4
>>
>>83929543
Thank you, Ronald Reagan!
>>
>>83929543

was that R?

coulda sword it was PG13

was it out when PG13 was a thing
>>
>>83935140
>Conan
I remember liking this one and Highlander when I was little.

Late 90's/early 2000's Amblin/Adelaide Production spin-offs were actual quality.
>Godzilla
>MiB
>Rusty and the Big Guy
>Extreme Ghostbusters

I think most of these were either Fox Kids or WB where I lived.
>>
>>83934457

Thought it looked like a fun cartoon, like a predecessor of Jackie Chan adventures.

Then the kid danced on the torpedo.
>>
>>83930957
>>83935513

When you have a job that has you dealing with kids, you appreciate the parents who actually act like parents and regulate what their kids watch. Because then you don't have to deal with little savages that can and will repeat what they hear and see perfectly and can't sit still without a iphone.

Or deal with their parents being assholes because they're embrassed that their three year old kid only knows cuss words or hump stuffed animals.
>>
>>83934600

Drinking game. Do a shot for every "Chuck Norris".
>>
>>83936529
I could see the cartoon making that a running gag with her.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.