[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cyclops is pretty fucking close to being a sociopath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 17
File: cyclopssociopath3.jpg (546 KB, 856x1273) Image search: [Google]
cyclopssociopath3.jpg
546 KB, 856x1273
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/06/19/comic-book-questions-answered-is-cyclops-a-sociopath/

Interesting read
>>
>>83913531
Summarize it not clicking on that shit.
>>
>>83913531
Were is the wolverine version?
>>
>>83913664
he gets 27 out of 30, so no, but damn close
>>
So are those glasses immune to punches, is it impossible for someone like the Hulk to smash them with their fists?
>>
I don't see how anyone could actually read comics and think this is even a question unless they don't know what socipathy is. If anything he is not selfish enough.
>>
>>83913844
No, the material is specifically immune to his punch beams.
Though they are probably very sturdily made either way but Hulk could turn them into dust.
>>
>superficial charm, cunning and manipulativeness, shallow effect
those are all traits if a psychopath, not a sociopath, learn the difference, first of all
>>
>>83913531
Well, that'd explain why /co/ likes him so much.
>>
You know, I really want to see Scott Summers and Matt Murdock interact. My two favorite Marvel characters. Both very troubled, which makes them all the more heroic in the end.
>>
>>83914128
(You)
>>
>>83913531

Hate this page. I wouldn't take that as proper characterization of Scott. I remember Claremont was furious about it..

Also you have to remember Cyclops is pretty notorious for being used as a whipping boy by authors.
>>
So what has ol' Rightclops been up to lately? Last I heard they made him a villain because muh movie rights or something but I don't know if they actually revealed what he did yet
>>
>>83913774
Wolverine is severe PTSD.
>>
>>83913531
Oh, he's pretty close to being something, alright.
>>
>>83914128
>Charm????
>Shallow????

What comics have you been reading?
He's not Ironman.
He's awkward emo brooding man.
>>
File: 1455971560773-WeaponX.jpg (56 KB, 371x339) Image search: [Google]
1455971560773-WeaponX.jpg
56 KB, 371x339
>>83916792
That, and he's a remorseful killer who is cursed to live forever like some sort of damned dishonored ronin.
>>
>>83914943
I know most of the shit around Jean coming back was forced by editorial, but didn't Claremont write that page himself? Surely he could have depicted that shitshow better.
>>
>>83914943
>I remember Claremont was furious about it..

Link?
>>
>>83917766
What could be done that wouldn't make Cyclops look like a dick?

He walks out on his wife and infant son to fly across the country and fuck around with his old buddies and old girlfriend. Anyone who did something like that in real life would be regarded as a real piece of shit.
>>
>>83917863
Scott could have taken Madeline along with him or she could have insisted on coming with him.

I don't know the extent of the editorial meddling, so I don't know if they insisted that Scott ditch that Pryor girl immediately to get him back together with Jean instantly or what.
>>
>>83917993
Any story that ended with him abandoning his wife and son to be with his ex is going to make him be a dick.

The only way they could have done it with Cyclops being in the clear is if Maddy and Nathan died.
>>
>>83913774

That Mary Sue article about how he embodies toxic masculinity or some shit.
>>
>>83915626
He dead
>>
File: Cyclops78.jpg (236 KB, 919x742) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops78.jpg
236 KB, 919x742
>>83918051
Mr. Sinister mind manipulations, dude.
>>
>>83914634
I'm not sure could I tell difference if they switched costumes.
>>
>>83917766
Claremont wrote it, indeed. But it was his evil side, Butthurt!Claremont. His endgame was Cyclops and Maddie fucking off to Alaska.
>>
File: 1462389930914-Incarnations.jpg (80 KB, 445x294) Image search: [Google]
1462389930914-Incarnations.jpg
80 KB, 445x294
>>83917863
Technically,
(A) that was always the plan: for him to be semi-retired and come back whenever an X-adventure required the full roster, and no matter how insignificant it turned out to be, the Thor-damned human incarnation of The Phoenix herself coming back to life counts as that...
And (B) he did eventually send for the wife and kid to move into the X-housing along-side him, so that wasn't actually literal abandonment.

And the sad sad truth that Maddie was always only his consolation prize wasn't his doing, it's just how things played out. It's that living reminder, Jean, that revealed the marriage for how hollow it was.
What was there to hold together after that became clear? What more could he have done but what he did: go through the motions.
>>
>>83918330
He didn't send for them until several months had passed, in-universe. He had already started X-Factor by then, he just... refused to pick up the phone.

And then when he went back to Alaska, he was stunned to see the house empty.
>>
>>83917863
Scott is kinda a piece of shit, though.
He cheats on his wife with Emma and instead of talking with her he goes and gets drunk with Wolverine.
Shit I miss Morrison's X-men.
>>
>>83918218
But could the redheads in their lives tell the difference?
>>
i feel like you gotta give scott slack for stuff that was editorial meddling (jean coming back)
>>
>>83917993

>she could have insisted on coming with him.

iirc she did
>>
>>83918402

>He cheats on his wife with Emma and instead of talking with her he goes and gets drunk with Wolverine.

Yes but I thought Morrison did a decent job showing how the relationship was falling apart (vs the maddie/jean's back thing)
>>
>>83917766
Bob Layton wrote it.

>>83917775

http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot.com/2012/03/jean-greys-return-in-x-factor.html

>>83917993
>>83917863
>>83918051

It was proposed by John Byrne (who supposedly does not like Claremont) and editorially mandated by Jim Shooter. Claremont had made himself clear that Cyclops was retired, and wouldn't leave his wife like that. In fact he considered the character unsalvageable after what they did to him.
>>
>>83918547
What was supposed to be the point in bringing Scott back if they had to make him act like a bastard to do it?
>>
File: 1464153825637.jpg (61 KB, 800x427) Image search: [Google]
1464153825637.jpg
61 KB, 800x427
>>83917766
Bob Layton wrote it.

>>83917775

http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot.com/2012/03/jean-greys-return-in-x-factor.html

>>83917993
>>83917863
>>83918051

It was proposed by John Byrne (who supposedly does not like Claremont) and editorially mandated by Jim Shooter. Claremont had made himself clear that Cyclops was retired, and wouldn't leave his wife like that. When he found out he was livid and on the verge of quitting (would have quit on the spot if he had Shooter's number, which they wouldn't give him). In fact he considered the character unsalvageable after what they did to him.
>>
>>83914128
>learn the difference
"Sociopath" is colloquial for someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder.
"Psychopath" is colloquial for someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder.
The difference is there is no difference.
Dumbass.
>>
>>83918547
>>83918600

ignore double post
>>
>>83918577

To get the Origina 5 back together for $$$, and to get some petty revenge on Claremont, who Byrne hated, and Shooter thought was a prima donna.
>>
>>83918577
"Muh X-Men aren't X-Men without Cyclops"?
>>
>>83918577

literally muh O5

>>83918547

I think Busiek was involved like coming up with the idea of how to retcon.

I like the story of how Lousie Simonson had to take Claremont out to dinner and keep him occupied because otherwise he'd storm in and take over the meeting to bring back jean.

i think my memory aint great
>>
>>83913531
>it's "let's use vague and broad generalization to paint everyone as a sociopath"

I guess clickbait gonna clickbait
>>
Doesn't seem like a sociopath.

He followed life creed that was indoctrinated to him to be right and it failed him miserably. He just swung to the other side hard.
>>
>>83918690

>The idea to resurrect Jean came from a disenchanted fan, Kurt Busiek, who had a letter printed in Uncanny X-Men #143 in 1981, which stated that following the Dark Phoenix story, he had decided to quit reading the X-Men.

knew there was a reason i never clicked with Busiek
>>
>>83918600
I hope Kurt Busiek realizes that he was an asshole for preferring the O5 to Claremont's work. Everyone who does that is an asshole.
>>
>>83918690

It was Ann Nocenti who took him out. He wanted to call Shooter personally but she wouldn't give Claremont his number. And yeah they made sure he had the whole weekend to be angry before he made any rash decisions. He came in as soon as he could with other ideas, but they turned them down.
>>
>“Oh, God! Barry Windsor-Smith and I were coming into the office to plot X-Men #198 (in 1985),” Claremont recalled in Comics Creators On X-Men. “It was a Friday night and (editor) Ann (Nocenti) took us out to dinner and didn’t tell us about X-Factor until it was, like, 6:30-7:00 at night and the office switchboard was already closed. I wanted to call Shooter, but I couldn’t remember his direct line. Ann knew his number, but she wouldn’t tell me. She told me to just sit down, have another drink and relax. I mean, she played me beautifully. Since it was Friday, I had the whole weekend to go berserk.”

>“I spent the weekend coming up with a whole new set of characters that they could use for X-Factor. I came in Monday morning and pitched the idea of using Jean’s sister Sara and making her a living Cerebro. She not only senses mutants, but has the power to work out what they’ll become. Shooter sat there and said, “That’s a great concept. I think it’s wonderful. If you want to go with it, go with it, but we’re bringing back Jean Grey.””

>“The fact is, Ann did a smart thing. If I had actually gone in to see Shooter on Friday night, I would have quit. I was so pissed off. I couldn’t believe what they did to Cyclops (Scott Summers). He was supposed to be a hero and they had him walking out on his wife and newborn child and not even thinking twice about it.”

i like how it seems the thought process was "Fuck it, the sales are worth it"

more things change....
>>
>>83918736

i wonder if anyone has asked him how he feels about ruining the X-Men? cause Claremont's still doing good stories but that's when it all starts to go downhill
>>
File: 1457677304639.jpg (78 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
1457677304639.jpg
78 KB, 300x428
>>83918402
Now there's a superhero with some emotional issues.
What I love about that Morrison cheating thing the most is how before Emma did her thing in a counselling session (I love that woman) Xavier and Jean were off on a globe-hopping trip together as Morrison plants the idea in the reader's minds that THEY are the one's having an affair.
Then there's the whole thing where Jean isn't even on the same level of consciousness as Scott anymore, if she ever was, and he's still recouporating from the Cyclopocalypse thing when Cassandra Nova turns his subconscious mind inside out, and the worst thing he does when that happens is ruin his marriage?
What a basterd!
>>
>>83915626

He's "dead".

He supposedly got killed off panel during a battle with the Inhumans. We don't even know exactly how he died, but everyone agreed that he's dead, and we haven't seen him since.

For all we know, he could've been sent into another universe or some shit. Cyclops might come back eventually. He's gonna be undoubtedly pissed though, since the Terrigen mists still haven't been stopped, and the Inhumans are only getting stronger.
>>
>>83918804
Well Jesus Christ! Why are you still reading any comics at all if you started -hating- them in the fucking seventies?
>>
>>83918804
In the words of David Brothers, New X-men was the last great X-men story.
>>
>>83918852
All it is is that same method of word-of-mouth that they did with the news breaking about Wolverine.
And what happened there?
The story finally hits the shelves and there's a syringe of healing factor booster-shot laying around in a scene before he "died"...
There's at least a half-dozen ways Summers could be reported dead but is really not.
>>
Thanks for that secrets of the xmen site, i love this shit

>>83918921

he just started hating X-Men, Busiek's hardcore comics .

>>83919100

Yep, my head canon is jumping from Claremont to New X-Men and then it ends with Scott and Emma in charge of the school.

They're at about a hit a decade now, Morrison for 00s, Remender's X-Force for 10s,
>>
>>83918402

Well, you have to keep in mind what had happened just before Morrison's run. He basically was going through a midlife crisis where he wasn't able to go back to normal status quo with his life after the shit he had gone through when he spent a year sharing a body with Apocalypse in the aftermath of the Twelve.
>>
>>83918736

Nah, he grew up with the O5, they are always going to be his favorite version of the team.
>>
>>83920395
But those old stories are garbage except for introducing characters. The X-men fought carnies half the time!
>>
>>83919153
>Yep, my head canon is jumping from Claremont to New X-Me

But there's plenty of good stuff from the Lobdell/Nicieza era. It only started to go wrong when editorial took Lobdell's Onslaught idea and started forcing to everybody without ever stopping to think what it was meant to build up to.
>>
>>83920416

And he loves that version of the franchise. You fail to understand how much people are tied to the version of the character(s) they grew up with. Just look at all the people who think only BTAS ever got Batman right and everything it did was definitive.
>>
>>83920465

or 90s Spidey TAS, or love for 90s X-Men (cartoon or comics) or etc etc etc. someone post that comic about how all the best stuff was made when you, the reader, were 12
>>
Okay,
Cyclops is this sad damaged person who tried to fill the hole in their soul with earning the respect and admiration of an adoptive father and all his X-Men, winning over the perfect girlfriend, marriage to a beautiful wife, being a parent, and finally by saving the entire mutant species from extinction.
Spoiler: all that ended in disaster and brought nothing but more misery in the end. Nothing worked. There was still no happiness for poor sad Scott. The end.
Meanwhile, Wolverine is this angry damaged person who tried to find a place to accept him, then reform/redemption, then an adoptive X-family, then a cause to champion, and in the end just a legacy to leave behind.
And he found peace ... inside a molten adamantium shell, but it's still an ending, and he was still in a good place when he ended.
Beast destroyed himself physically, spiritually, and mentally with his hubris, Rogue found a new identity and a new cause, Literally, Iceman was frozen inplace and unable to move forward for almost his entire life, Angel was damned, Jean was reborn, Jean was reborn, Jean was reborn, etc...

All X-people have these complex emotional issues to deal with. A psychoanalysis thread could be made for any one of them.
>>
Cyclops and Reed Richards are the worst Marvel characters ever.
>>
>>83920629

You. I like you.
>>
>>83920717
>kate leth browses /co/
hmm. who knew.
>>
File: 1456881480355.jpg (269 KB, 591x1253) Image search: [Google]
1456881480355.jpg
269 KB, 591x1253
>>83920717
You SURE there's no one worse???
>>
>>83920773
Literally who?
>>83920839
Those 2 are the worst of the worst. Utter shit characters.
>>
>>83920717
Nope. That title belongs to Deadpool. Tony Stark is an insufferable cunt too.
>>
>>83920717
Funny since those two are my two favorite Marvel characters ever.
>>
Reminder, Maddy was physically abusive. Scott didn't leave her, he escaped.
>>
Scott is pretty much the opposite of a sociopath. His problem has always been that he cares too much, and he just kept getting burned, so he struggles to shove all that shit into a tiny box deep inside but it's always in danger of bursting.
>>
>>83920940
Okay, I see that you like eyeball guy, Maggot, all the Inhumans, and The Kangaroo more than either Summers or Reed, but is there absolutely NO room for improvement at all?
What if Reed became a villian? "Reed Richards: the Science Devil incarnate"? What if They gave Scott a complete makeover? To the point of being an entirely different character?
Would nothing ever redeem them in your eyes? NOTHING?
>>
File: APR100651small.jpg (23 KB, 168x247) Image search: [Google]
APR100651small.jpg
23 KB, 168x247
>>83921109
Absolutely horrible characters that I feel justified in hating ... BUT ... they are characters I want to read about.
(Oddly, I feel the exact opposite about Peter Parker. Spock shall be missed!)
>>
>>83921128
OMG!!! Scott Summers has te perfect psychologcal profile of an abuse victim!

If this wasn't fiction I wouldn't be LOL-ing as much as I am right now.
>>
>>83921434

i mean yeah. child soldier and all
>>
The irony is that hey could have solved the whole thing by just fucking making Jean Grey be Maddie Pryor.

Hell, during the build-up to Inferno, it was the biggest fan theory going on, that Marvel would "fix" the issue with Jean and Maddie by having Jean get time lost in Limbo during the demon invasion and end up being deposited in a plane that was about to crash and get amnesia/become Maddie Pryor
>>
>>83921133
Not really. He's a control freak who has to be "perfect" and "the leader" because he can't control his powers and is butt-hurt that others gets to be the rebel while he has to be Mr Authority.

Emma tried to manipulating him to punish Jean by playing into his desperate desire to be a bastard. But even she got more than she bargained for; see her recoil in horror at Scott being willing to let Beast die in Utopia.

His snapping in AvX was him being pissy that in the end, Hope chose the Avengers rather than Scott because Hope didn't want to genocide half of humanity (the "Six Minute War", when Phoenix Hope nuked half the planet and condemned all of mutant kind to concentration camps) and Scott was perfectly willing to genocide humanity on the off-chance he could use the Phoenix Force to bully humanity
>>
>>83921581
>The irony is that hey could have solved the whole thing by just fucking making Jean Grey be Maddie Pryor.

IIRC Maddie was always a confusing mess behind the scenes, because she always LOOKED exactly like Jean, but they could decide originally if she was Jean come back to life in a powerless body or a clone or just a freak coincidence.
>>
>>83913531
Isn't one of the reasons psychic ladies all want to be with him because his mind is unusually focused and direct? Like everyone else is just screaming their surface thoughts as loud as they can while he is just focused and constantly in control?

Multiple psychics have talked about how controlled his mind is and he has actually battled a few psychic entities and won because he is willpower 24/7 due to his status as a leader and the fact that he has lived with punches from the punch dimension coming out of his eyes.

Also his mutant power is uncontrollable because of brain damage. Are we really surprised he ticks a few of the boxes for various mental disorders?
>>
>>83921656

Claremont said it was gonna be a freak thing that she looked like Jean. That panel where she hits Scott after he asks if she's Jean was supposed to be the end of it.

then muh o5 happened
>>
File: 1418622485017.jpg (66 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1418622485017.jpg
66 KB, 722x349
>>83913531
>tfw your life unravels around you
>and then you turn out to be an evil clone
Maddie had a hard life.
>>
File: 1455949928630.jpg (115 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
1455949928630.jpg
115 KB, 600x457
>>83921656
I think the clone retcon was the ideal answer once they introduced Mr.Sinister.
Think about it, there's this evil geneticist mastermind working behind the scenes ... what more perfect clone to create than one of the single most powerful telekinetic/telepathic mutants ever?
And that's not even mentioning the whole "I like to emotionally abuse Scott Summers for my jollies" aspect of Mr.Sinister's motivations.
So that's an extra explaination to everything.

My goodness, given Sinister's crap, why has it taken so long to see a Cyclops clone show up? Extraordinary's hybrid was decades overdue.
>>
>>83918330
>It's that living reminder, Jean, that revealed the marriage for how hollow it was.
Except they had already moved past that.
>>
>>83921817
We DO need to talk about the whole psychology of Madelyne Pryor, there's a lot going on there that needs unpacking.
>>
>>83918921
It was in the mid to late 80s, not the 70s.
>>
>>83921898
Did they? Because Evil Maddie never let up about it.
And it's not like Scott didn't eventually run back to Jean, just as predicted.
>>
>>83921651

If you're going to bait, you could at least try a little.
>>
>>83921824
Because the end goal was to breed Scott and create generations of super-powered spawn of Scott and Jean.

Also, the original plan for the whole "The Twelve" storyline was going to be the fact that the Celestials were going to nuke Earth because mutants were not producing kids and there was going to be major controversy over whether or not Baby Nathan was a "true" mutant due to his mom being a clone and that her powers were not really hers but demon magick that emulated Jean's actual powers, on top of actual magick powers Maddie had as the Goblin Queen.
>>
>>83921951
Well that's what they turned it into because "Muh Jean, muh O5, muh Scott/Jean fanfics"
>>
>>83918402

>cheats on his wife

Emma raped him
>>
File: 1437526464335.jpg (18 KB, 400x548) Image search: [Google]
1437526464335.jpg
18 KB, 400x548
>>83921651
>>83921737
> Scott's mind

Here's the thing, his brain has been tampered with non-stop for almost his entire life, and chances are that it was a whole jumble even before that.
And I'm not talking about all the hottie telepaths he's been intimate with.
There's (first) his own crazy traumatic mental issues, then there's whatever Sinister was doing to him at that orphanage, and then there's Professor X himself, who has admitted to less than ethical uses of his powers before issue#1 happened.
The head injury has been mentioned, but that can't possibly be the cause of his uncontrolled optic blasts because of all the mutant healers he's been around, Emma revealed it was pychosomatic - let's not go into that, but then there's amnesia that was mentioned in the issue where he goes on his first date with Jean, and there's that crazy situational awareness aspect of his powers that allow him to do those crazy bankshots: he just understands the world differently and think tactically like nobody else, then (psychosomatic or not) there's the sheer will it takes to maintain just the lowest possible output of those optic blasts forever in order to not destroy the ruby-quartz glasses, as he can do and has done before.
And to top it all off, Psychics have said in more than one dialog that his mind is just in general pleasant to be in. Whatever that means.
>>
>>83922186
The word you're looking for is seduced.
>>
>>83922186
And yet he went back for more and more ... ?
Don't get me wrong, she manipulated the hell outa him, it's what she does, but he knew who she was and what he would be dealing with when he asked her for help, he could have avoided the affair before it could ever begin. If anyone had the wherewithal to out-think a telepath it's him. He chose to put himself in a vulnerable situation and asked for her influence and comfort.
>>
File: 1460158013246-ToMe.jpg (168 KB, 468x729) Image search: [Google]
1460158013246-ToMe.jpg
168 KB, 468x729
>>83922208
Forgot one!
Scott Summers is able to mentally hack a telepath's mind.
First seen in the issue where Mastermind illusion-tricked the rest of the X-Men into attacking him, Scotty captured Rogue and made he absorb the unconscious Xavier's powers, then guided her through how to use telepathy in time to mindlink (under his control) with everyone and break the illusion.
Later on he would be seen in almost constant mind-link with his then-wife Jean. Often initiating that form of communication himself.
Then in Astonishing', when Emma when nuts and left him catatonic he initiated a psy-link with Blindfold all on his own. Much later in that run he's seen using the telepathic mindlink to call "to me, my X-Men." when Emma wasn't anywhere near him.
And during Utopia he was in the Three-in-one's hivemind all the time during tactical command situations, still in full control.
It's a thing he can do. If it's just willpower, some sort of manipulation he's doing, or something Professor X set up by altering his brain, I don't know.
>>
>>83914128

They're two terms for the same thing, one just fell out of favour because of connotations.
>>
>>83913531
Well, shit, guys.

I might be a sociopath.
>>
>>83922636
Do you have a complete lack of empathy? Because that's the deal-breaker trait for psychopathy/sociopathy.
>>
>>83914634
I like to imagine that whenever Scott sees Murdock in the news, he checks out what glasses he's currently wearing and how they would look on him.

>"Murdock's secret identity revealed! I wonder if those John Lennon glasses would look good on me..."
>>
File: 7IdPoE4.jpg (368 KB, 1280x2001) Image search: [Google]
7IdPoE4.jpg
368 KB, 1280x2001
>>83922728
Been there, done that.
>>
File: 1455966084016-Televised.jpg (119 KB, 677x317) Image search: [Google]
1455966084016-Televised.jpg
119 KB, 677x317
>>83922728
LOL - Daredevil doesn't do that when Scott's on the news.
>>
>>83922760
In my headcanon, this whole hippy outfit was inspired by Alex Maleev era Murdock glasses.

>>83922794
There's also other reason why Murdock can't see the news on TV.
>>
>>83921230
If they made Cyclops more of a strong leader instead of a literal whiny cuck (I know the word gets spewed out a lot, but fits here) thats constantly fucking around with Jean Grey and Logan maybe, I don't know every incarnation he just really insuffable.
As for Reed, Doom does everything better and is always in the right. I'm not trying to be an edgelord but Doom can stand his ground against multiple heroes with fucking science and in badass knight armor. Reeds defeated Mag-fucking-nito, the same man who can rip Wolverine's skeleton apart from the inside out, by playing pretend with a wooden gun. What the fuck.
>>
>>83922760
Oh wow, that pic goes a long way to proving fact a headcanon of mine.

This was a scene from that Dreaming Celestial reality warp storyline? Was that worth the read or was this panel the best it had?
>>
>>83922844

I'd just like to thank you for so quickly exposing that fact that you know jack shit about what you're trying to talk about.
>>
File: 1462142234321.jpg (155 KB, 516x453) Image search: [Google]
1462142234321.jpg
155 KB, 516x453
>>83922844
Okay, you have a pretty damn valid point about how awful it can be to read Reed, BUT the contradiction of Cyclops being this badass leader in the battlefield and yet a total whiney bitch everywhere else is what makes him a compelling character. The character complexity writes itself.
Would you read Mr. Fantastic stories if they gave him more of a mean streak and made him less silly/full of himself?
And wasn't Decimation Utopia Cyclops good to read when he was full-time "Mutantkind's Leader Summers"?
>>
>>83922960
I would also like to thank you for failing to provide any actual counterpoints to disprove me kid.
>>
>>83922966
I should have clarify that I understand the concept of Cyclops having to struggle to become a real leader, and to do so have to overcome many obstacles,probably making tough decisions only a strong leader can make. Though I guess from what I've read/watched most of the time those obstacles are just Jean and pissing her off until she goes Dark and kills everyone. I guess I'm tired of seeing the same love triangle thing over and over as the main focus.
As for Richards I don't know, there's just something not right about him. I guess I'll say I kinda like his design (maybe not the skintight suit but logically fits for his power). Speaking of his power I guess I can't take his smugness seriously when his only power is strechy limbs. Being a filthy lurker of 4chan for years, I just think of shit he's capable of with that ability. Also with DC's strech hero who's name escapes me at the moment, feel really embarassed right now, where his personality and design is silly and goofy it kinda suits the silly and goofy stretchy ability. With Mr.Fantastic he's really smart and looks smart I guess, but he can walk around like DRR DRR DRR. I know it's too drastic to change his powers now, but maybe add something more suitable to his intelligent person.
>>
>>83913664
Cherry picking comic book pages that could be used to argue that Scot qualifies as a sociopath, I'd say that he's closer to 17 or 18 than the 27 he got but I've been following X Anons story time so I might be going by the early stuff too much.
>>
>>83918618
Kekarooni, spoken like someone with no neurological, physiological, forensic or psychological knowledge. For one psychopaths have a unique ability to regulate physiological and emotional reactions whereas sociopaths aren't as emotionally controlled and certainly aren't physiologically capable.
>>
>>83921127
Based taste. If you replace Reed with Pym you'd be me.
>>
>>83922208
>>83922582
This is a really good summary of some not Primary/secondary-muation powerset that Cycks has. Very well put together and you even included references to feats.
Fantastic.
>>
>>83923132

What the fuck is with this stream of consciousness bullshit? If you're going to so willingly expose the fact that you don't read many comics at ALL, at least have the dignity to post your thoughts in a clear and concise manner.
>>
>>83923257
Again, you don't even bother to post any counterpoints just like in >>83922960.
I'm sorry English is not your first language.
>>
File: 138206723919.jpg (48 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
138206723919.jpg
48 KB, 533x800
>>83923132
DC has the lesser known Elastic Man (who I almost couldn't name myself) who is a supersmart detective and possible rip-off of Reed himself, AND the far more well-known PlasticMan, who is a joke character but uses his powers way more effectively than Reed.

So yeah, Marvel's writers have plenty of examples of peeps using these powers better. And the whole Reed/DoctorWho thing where they just walk into shit without so much as a deathray and "brains" win every time drives me up the wall too...

But Cyke:
I don't think it's how hard he's worked and how far he's come that makes that "workplace" personality so different from elsewhere, I think he's just faking it all: He's not the great man hero Professor X set him up to be, he's not the warrior he's trained his whole life to be, he's not even the natural leader every other character thinks he is, the guy's a neurotic wreck pacifist who's afraid of his powers hurting people and everyone from Beast to Storm, Wolverine to Angel, Rogue to Goldballs undermines and questions his every command. Nobody actually respects him, he isn't the warrior he could be, he's just not who he's pretended to be his entire life and it shows.
But that's the character.
>>
File: Cyclops02.jpg (1 MB, 2622x2000) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops02.jpg
1 MB, 2622x2000
>>83920717
>Cyclops and Reed Richards are the worst Marvel characters ever.
>worst
That's a funny way to spell "best".
>>
>>83922582
Magic (I mean the stuff Dr Strange uses not his teammate). There is no reason he could not have learned it given how often he deals with it as an X Men and it makes sense not to draw attention to it as that would lead to his enemies working out a counter.
He'll come back having learned enough to shutdown his power and be ready to get started on learning the energy manipulation stuff all the other sorcerers can do.
>>
>>83923386
Man I like both those assholes for different reasons. They are awesome in their own way.
>>
>>83923351
>DC has the lesser known Elastic Man (who I almost couldn't name myself)
Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man, which was created by the time his creators didn't know that DC has Plastic Man from Quality Comics.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.