[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong and what happened to them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 19
File: NewMutants11-04.tn_.jpg (717 KB, 608x936) Image search: [Google]
NewMutants11-04.tn_.jpg
717 KB, 608x936
What went wrong and what happened to them?
>>
File: New-Mutants-01-Page-020-021.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1967) Image search: [Google]
New-Mutants-01-Page-020-021.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1967
>4 blondes in one team
>2 are males

This is heresy
>>
File: filthy casuals.jpg (74 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
filthy casuals.jpg
74 KB, 600x800
>>83910614
memetic shitposters kept start "what went wrong?" threads
>>
>>83910614
3 things: Liefeld, and the decision to make them a hardcore military team. And Wolfsbane left.
>>
>>83910614
Sunspot is the Supreme Leader of AIM and leader of the New Avengers and Secret Avengers, so he's doing pretty well for himself.

Cannonball married a 10/10 best ass in the universe, had an adorable little baby boy with her, and is helping Sunspot out with the Secret Avengers.

Magik has become a core member of the X-men and the only person keeping the mutants' last safe haven from getting overrun by demons.

Cypher, Warlock, Karma, Magma, and Dani all got thrown into limbo though.
>>
>>83910765
>look like grown ups

Except for magik, loli and tight pussy forever
>>
File: feliciaflora.jpg (203 KB, 1072x954) Image search: [Google]
feliciaflora.jpg
203 KB, 1072x954
TFW your favorite new mutant is Karma.
I think her problem is her superpower sucks, as in, she is psychic who can only do 1 thing of the many things psychics do.
>>
File: new-mutants-lineup.png (442 KB, 600x261) Image search: [Google]
new-mutants-lineup.png
442 KB, 600x261
>>83910614
>>83910765
I like the abundance of blondes in this team

To much fire powers tho
>>
>>83913598
4 blonds, 4 non-whites, 1 alien
>>
>>83910614
Are they the best X-men team ever?
>>
>>83911292
Before that

Editorial told Simonson to infantilize the characters from how the acted under Claremont. Honestly X-Force was an improvement after seeing them all transform into dumb kids

Also Warlock was killed because Bob Harras didn't think two characters with he same name should exist since readers are so dumb
>>
>>83914258
get that loser X-Man off

add Karma
>>
>>83914442
Get Magma out too
>>
File: New_Mutants_Vol_3_38_Textless.jpg (232 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
New_Mutants_Vol_3_38_Textless.jpg
232 KB, 900x1367
Whats the deal with warlock is he like Upgrade from Ben 10?
>>
>>83914587
Shape changing techno-organic alien. He can turn organic material into food and sometimes he and Doug would basically fuse to fight together

He joined the New Mutants because he was running away from home where his dad the Magus who was trying to kill him because that's how his culture works.
>>
File: 2290816-image9.jpg (244 KB, 1346x717) Image search: [Google]
2290816-image9.jpg
244 KB, 1346x717
>>83914442
what happened to X-man?
>>
>>83915078
Marvel just wants you to forget
>>
>>83915124
why?
>>
File: 2514305-am.jpg (48 KB, 412x360) Image search: [Google]
2514305-am.jpg
48 KB, 412x360
>>83914488
Magma is best girl
>>
>>83910614
>What went wrong
Nothing, really. DnA run wasn't great, but it did right by the characters.
>and what happened to them?
Warlock and Cypher joined X-Factor
Sunspot and Cannonball joined the Avengers, then the former made his own Avengers and the latter got married and had a space baby.
Magik got a terrible costume and became a consistent X-Man in what may be the worst time in the team's history.
Magma I guess still lives in San Fran with X-Man and Blink?
Life continued to shit on Karma in Astonishing X-Men.
Dani's fate was worst of all. She joined the Fearless Defenders.

I think only Sam, Bobby, and Illyana have been seen since Secret Wars.
>>
>>83913044
She can do normal psychic things, too.
But when it comes to those, she's easily the weakest psychic around.
>>
>>83915765
Remember that time it turned out her whole life was a lie and she became a terrorist?
>>
>>83916033
Is Dani still depowered?

The Blob and Callisto were seen recently, both with their powers, unless Callisto is a kick ass fighter without her super senses too.

I like to think that Franklin Richards is a mutie bro and is undoing Wanda's fuck ups.
>>
>>83916128
Last time she was seen, yeah.
She still has a flying horse, though.
And she's still best girl.

Pretty sure Callisto is supposed to be a good fighter even without powers.
>>
>>83916103
I think they've gone back and forth on that a few times.
>>
>>83916033
How did Fearless Defenders turn out? Better or worse than Fraction's run?
>>
>>83916128
>>83916241
The writers are really inconsistent. Sometimes Dani can call upon valkyrie powers, other times they just want her to be a powerless Native American who fights with a bow and arrow
>>
>>83916862
BAD
>>
>>83916862
Worse. But Dani wasn't written badly there. Most of the characters were treated fairly well except for Valkyrie and too much damn focus on the lesbian archaeologist OC

I kinda wish Bunn was using Dani in his Uncanny X-Men
>>
>>83916918
I'd rather she be given to the Thor office. X-Editorial hasn't had much use for Dani in years and years.
>>
>>83915765
Magma is the worst, She's so shit she ended up with Empath
>>
>>83916988
The Thor books have too many female Asgardians to juggle right now between Jane, Enchantress, Angela, Sif, Valkyrie, Roz Solomon

The Thor books don't even know what to do with Sif and Valkyrie
>>
>>83913044
Too bad character development isn't an important thing with these kids...
>>
File: 1191297-nm_12_nm.jpg (164 KB, 1280x602) Image search: [Google]
1191297-nm_12_nm.jpg
164 KB, 1280x602
>>
File: 2432319-kalutamagikpainting.jpg (215 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
2432319-kalutamagikpainting.jpg
215 KB, 1200x803
>>
>>83917012
Remember when she dated Mephisto? That bitch has the worst taste in men.
>>
>>83911355
>Cypher, Warlock, Karma, Magma, and Dani all got thrown into limbo though.

That really sucks. If nobody wants to use those characters anymore they could at least bother to give them some kind of a sendoff like Cannonball.
>>
File: Karma02.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1968) Image search: [Google]
Karma02.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1968
>>83910614
I think Karma is trying not to be one of the richest people in the world at the moment since her company mostly produces WMDs of one stripe or another.
>>
>>83916103
Why can't they ever do anything with Nova Rome? It could be an interesting way to cross over mutants and gods. Imagine if they had a few more mutants. You'd have a little ancient Roman city-state capable of affecting change on the global stage.

It's the most interesting thing on Marvel Earth south of the equator and no one does anything with it.
>>
>>83919836

Cause it's fucking batshit insane!

>>83918867

I'm hoping Ewing can bring Dani into New Avengers
>>
>>83919071

>since her company mostly produces WMDs of one stripe or another.

They made me suffer....now I will repay in kind.
>>
File: Karma11.jpg (266 KB, 800x1250) Image search: [Google]
Karma11.jpg
266 KB, 800x1250
>>83919904
>Hahaha, fuck you, Thailand!
>>
>>83919952

I HAD FORGOTTEN BACKSTORY SUFFERING
>>
>>83910614
That specific book? Wells left, DnA's run was aimless, Nate with basically no power is pointless, turning Blink into le wacky quirky girl, etc.

If you mean in general, YO YOU DEALIN' WIT DA X-FACTOR happened ruining Claremont's plans to have the older X-Men retire or move on and the New Mutants to take their place.
>>
File: Karma06.jpg (1 MB, 585x1974) Image search: [Google]
Karma06.jpg
1 MB, 585x1974
>>83919966
IIRC, that was the very first issue of NXM. Karma's suffering is eternal.
>>
>>83911355
>Cannonball married a 10/10 best ass in the universe, had an adorable little baby boy with her, and is helping Sunspot out with the Secret Avengers.
Does anyone really even buy this romance? I could buy Sam and Lila as a Spider-Man/Black Cat "they have fun flings" thing. I could even buy Sam and Dani if you wanted to hook them up. But Sam and Random Hickman OC who had no real plot relevance or character (because Hickman can't into interesting characters) just feels bogus.

>>83913044
It's the opposite, her problem is that she's too powerful because it becomes "well why can't Karma just possess the bad guy" and then you have to think of excuses as to why. Same reason Wallflower got killed off.

>>83914488
>>83915765
Real question: who actually gives a shit about Magma? I mean even reading the old New Mutants storytimes she doesn't particularly stand out. There's a reason she got written out and basically stopped appearing in comics for like 10 years.
>>
File: lol titans.png (436 KB, 534x529) Image search: [Google]
lol titans.png
436 KB, 534x529
>“I came up with the character and what his motivation was. (Artist) Rob (Liefeld) came up with the character design. Actually, his original character design was supposed to be for Stryfe, but Bob and I thought it would be better for Cable. I thought about calling him Commander X at one point, but Rob wanted to call the guy Cable and I said, “You know what? Sure, Cable is a fine name.” Anything to get Rob interested in the stories.”

>“It took me about six months to figure out that Rob really wasn’t interested in the stories at all. He just wanted to do what he wanted to do, which was cool drawings of people posing in their costumes that would then sell for lots of money.”

my sides
>>
>>83919952

I think this honestly may be the most fucked-up thing to happen to someone in an X-book.
>>
>>83919836
Forgotten jungle lands are complete shit and make for shit stories. Look at the Savage Land, you think it'd be a wellspring for great stories but no, every Savage Land story is shit.
>>
>>83920410

and it only gets worse for her!
>>
>>83920303
You laugh but hey, Liefeld was right. Cable's been a perpetually popular X-Men character for like 25+ years now.
>>
File: Karma14.jpg (147 KB, 648x540) Image search: [Google]
Karma14.jpg
147 KB, 648x540
>>83920410
Which part: the murder of Karma's parents and rapes, or all her new friends finding out about it via a 3D psychic projection?
>>
>>83920248
She's a psychic, half of the X-men villains have their own telepaths or mass produce psi-shields. They should have focused on giving her combat skills, at this point she'd be better off with a gattling gun in her robot leg.

Has Karma ever even won a psi-battle?
>>
>>83920492

The part where the most traumatic moment in her life is replayed right in front of her eyes, and in front of a bunch of gawking strangers who she'll be living with for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>83918621
>>83915765
Magma is so hngg
>>
>>83920410
>>83920444
Just think, after this...

>"Dies"
>Actually possessed by the Shadow King who turns her into Jabba the Hutt
>Becomes suicidally depressed
>Lays down in the desert to die
>Winds up becoming skinny while protecting a kid, Loki decides to let her keep the change while he took everyone else's back
>This was when Loki was still an asshole
>Leaves again when her brother and sister go missing, has to work with her criminal uncle to find them, has to rescue them from Spiral
>falls in love with Kitty, realizes she'll never love her back
>has to see her students needlessly slaughtered by the Purifiers
>leg amputated, can't even get a good robot leg
>finds out she has a long lost half-sister
>half-sister is an arms dealer and tortures Karma and her team
>Karma gets through to her but she's shot dead in front of her
>inherits her company and becomes a billionaire
>has a flirty relationship with a Shi'ar, that's bad enough because fuck the Shi'ar
>gets no action there either, Shi'ar goes back for lusting after Iceman's faggot dick
>loses it or something? she ends up on Nation X with people like Masque and Random for no explained reason
>nowhere to be seen post-Secret Wars; probably killed by M-Pox ore more likely, because the universe is a cruel joke, she had to watch M-Pox kill her brother and sister despite them not being mutants
>>
>>83920230
Her first appearance was Marvel Team-Up #100.

Where she had to kill her evil brother.

>>83920248
>Does anyone really even buy this romance?
Not even a little.
For once Ewing's continuityfagging will be a bad thing, since he'll definite keep that around.
>>
Didn't they send Cannonball and Smasher's son outside of the multiverse during the Final Incursion so that he might survive?

I know Pod is still around, but any chance she left that brat out there and they just don't remember him?
>>
>>83920599
It really is horrible when you look at it all at once.
>>
>>83915765
Eh.
Not to get SJW or anything, but "2000 year old colony of hyper Aryan blonde Romans in South America" was begging for it to be retconned into being mind control.
>>
>>83920449
I'm going to argue that a lot of that comes from being Cyclops's time travelling son.

Otherwise he'd probably have faded into the background like Bishop, or any of the New Mutants, or any of the X-Kids after the New Mutants.
>>
>>83921361

I get where you're coming from. But as I recall Dani was actually able to blend in with the locals specifically because they DON'T look aryan.
>>
>>83920599
>>leg amputated, can't even get a good robot leg

I really wish they hadn't turned Madison Jeffries into a moron version of Mitchell Hundred. There is no level of sophistication of robot leg Jeffries should be incapable of making.
>>
>>83921264
What if they had interbred with the native Brazillians so that way you get an ancient Roman society of brown people.

That way no one is happy
>>
>>83921361

Nah I think Cable has a pretty great design. Liefeld synthesizing all that 80s shit like Terminator and Robocop. I mean no one remembers Rachel
>>
>>83921503

Poor Rachel.I really like her modern design. It's too bad that nobody really wants to touch her.

Hell, did she ever even end up interacting with young jean? I feel like that would be a pretty big deal for them both. Or at least weird as hell.
>>
>>83921503
>I mean no one remembers Rachel

Good point. Then again, she was also designed to get the Full Claremont, and Cable never really got any of that baggage. He may have not ever even written Cable until he came back in the late 90s.
>>
>>83921564
A single page, played as a gag.

Thanks, Bendis.
>>
>>83921606

Oh. Well that's shitty. Stuff like that makes me kind of glad that I just don't read X-books anymore.
>>
>>83921426
THIS

I completely understand Marvel relying on A and B listers for sales, and a lot of writers being fans of those popular characters, but why do they seem to hate all non A or B list characters? Why do they go out of their way to torture them, nerf them, or kill them off?

I've always preferred more obscure characters and underdogs to begin with because the popular characters get downright repetitive and OP characters are unrelateable. But Marvel makes no effort to build other characters up or to keep them consistent, and it has ruined Marvel for me, for the most part.

Jeffries is one of those great characters with a long history who is another good example of the problem.
>>
What has become of Wolfsbane? I remember seeing on a /co thread that she was with Alex Summers during the big end of the multiverse event recently... I've no clue what happened after that.

She was my favorite before they tried to make her all edgy in the late 90s. God it kills me that they used Moira, my favorite human character, as canon fodder just to justify pissing on a sweet girl who had already suffered and overcome so much.
>>
>>83922409
That was just an alternate Wolfsbane.
Regular Wolfsbane joined the edgy, murderous X-Force where she ended up eating her dad.
She also fucked that Asgardian dog guy she had a crush on as a kid, and got knocked up.
That became her whole deal, and her return to X-Factor marked the book's decline in quality.
Her monster baby was eventually killed and was last seen deciding to become a church Deacon.

Not being allowed to be part of the New Mutants relaunch was her doom.
>>
File: 1808414-wolfsbane115.jpg (68 KB, 427x622) Image search: [Google]
1808414-wolfsbane115.jpg
68 KB, 427x622
>>83922507
I knew about all that stuff, that event had me hoping something was going on with her again. And as much as I was enjoying Peter David's last X-Factor, it pissed me off that he didn't give her a break. I mean fuck, it's like once a character has suffered it becomes all the writers know to do with them. Pisses me off so much. I'm trying to think of a single favorite of mine that isn't dead, tormented and then forgotten, or utterly ruined by bad retconning.
>>
File: 1-who-will-be-chosen.jpg (159 KB, 885x750) Image search: [Google]
1-who-will-be-chosen.jpg
159 KB, 885x750
>>83910765
>>83913598
look at all these blondes

its like so impossible to see these days with this liberal leftist bullcrap
>>
>>83922507
Gotta admit, muh waifu was a total badass in the issue that final X-Factor issue.
>>
>>83923693
magma sucks

sam and illyana are cool though
>>
Magma was in a volcano with her mutant boyfriend when Scarlet Witch depowered mutants and she had to see her boyfriend burn alive.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.