[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Childhood Defining Movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14
File: lewd cotton candy.jpg (6 KB, 306x165) Image search: [Google]
lewd cotton candy.jpg
6 KB, 306x165
What animated film defined your childhood? Maybe it's not your favorite these days. Hell, maybe you don't even care for it anymore. But what movie connected with you the most when you were growing up? Don't be afraid to show your age.

Pic related for mine. It falls short in several places, but I'm comfortable giving it a "dream logic plot" kinda pass. It still has some amazing animation and fun story beats.
>>
>>83862478
>What animated film defined your childhood?

I credit Fantasia with giving me an interest in music at a really early age. My mom had the music from it on a cassette tape, and I listened to it so much that I think it wore out.
>>
Can't remember if I got into dinosaurs because I loved this so much or if the reason I liked it was because of the dinosaurs, but I watched this constantly.

When I rewatched it after not having actually seen it in close to a decade, I realized the soundtrack-- music, characters' lines, etc,-- was pretty much burnt into my mind. I'd actually watched some of the sequels too as a kid, but none of them made an impact on me to that level.
>>
File: Fox Peter Pan and Pirates.jpg (21 KB, 236x260) Image search: [Google]
Fox Peter Pan and Pirates.jpg
21 KB, 236x260
>>83862478
Probably a lot of them, although I don't likely remember them or notice the influence. I mean, looking back I can clearly see how a combination of Legend of Zelda, Fox's Peter Pan, and Robin Hood mixed together and influenced some of my preferences.

I do remember watching and re-watching Lady and the Tramp repeatedly back when I was a kid. It was certainly one of my favorite movies back then.
>>
File: watership down dog bloodbath.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
watership down dog bloodbath.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I think watching this hundreds of times as a child and having it be such a big part of what I associate with cartoons to then grow up to realize that it actually has a lot of mature content cemented my idea that cartoons don't have to be just targeted at little kids and pandering to their delicate sensibilities to be good. Which is ironic because I loved the fuck out of it as a little kid.
>>
>>83862478

I must have watched Little Nemo, the Great Mouse Detective, Ferngully, and The Rescuers + Down Under at least a hundred times each growing up.
>>
>>83862782
Oh, and Land Before Time. I'm sure my interest in dinosaurs was thanks to watching that movie several times.
>>
The "Black Cauldron" and "Happily Ever After" got me interested in medieval and fantasy things which would follow through to present day, to the point where I'm actually looking into signing up for a blacksmithing class/apprenticeship.

For things that stuck with me, I would like to credit "Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland" as having SCARED THE FUCK out of me as a kid. The nightmare goo churning around the king guy... Beeeh... Its probably what ultimately got me interested in horror.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 300x300
>>83862478
Pretty much Disney films in general influenced me alot, and some of Don Bluth's movies, but since I was a big Beatles fan as a kid, Yellow Submarine was a huge influence for me.

It's such a straightforward and weird movie, but very innocent and fun to look at. For some reason my mom and brothers gave me shit for watching it because the Beatles werent voiced by the actual Beatles, but whatever.
>>
>>83863263
I never watched Little Nemo as a kid, but I had an old tape of the Little Nemo book based on the movie. Dont know why I had it, but I remember when Id listen to the part with the villain, Id freak out listening to the sounds and imagining what he looked like
>>
File: 1732-00-cover.jpg (384 KB, 1711x1693) Image search: [Google]
1732-00-cover.jpg
384 KB, 1711x1693
Not /co/, but I remember being a young boy and Sci Fi used to show anime late at night on Fridays. I remember being up late because my parents had one of their shouting matches, my dad smacked my mom around, she ran out, and then he smacked me around. I was watching TV with one eye because my other was swollen close.
Galaxy Express 999 came on and I was so enamored by the story of a young boy being taken aboard this space train for an adventure. I remember what helped me get though those days was looking at the night sky and hoping Matel would come and pick me up one day.
I still watch it at least once a year. I recommend it to everyone. The sequels alright, too.
>>
>>83863104
Watership Down is my favorite movie. What scarred me as a kid though was Animals of Farthing Wood. I watched it a ton and it never got less disturbing.
>>
>>83863479
I watched season 1 (though I think I skipped some eps) of Animals of Farthing Wood a bit ago and didn't really get what the big deal people make of it was. The majority of what I saw seemed pretty tame. But then I didn't watch it as a kid, of course.
>>
>>83863371
>Dont know why I had it, but I remember when Id listen to the part with the villain, Id freak out listening to the sounds and imagining what he looked like

That's fantastic. I don't remember him being too scary in the movie, even as a kid. But the scene >>83863263 references was pretty fucked up, yeah. Watching the King struggle in vain as he's swallowed by this gooey nightmare stuff.

Also, there was a cassette tape based on the book that was based on this movie, which was based on a comic strip? Fuck.

>>83862782
Fox's Peter Pan intrigues me, but I missed it when I was a kid. Is it worth going back to at all as an adult, or is it not that noteworthy outside of kid entertainment? Tim Curry was Hook, right? That's gotta at least be worth an episode or two in itself.

>>83862661
I think I ended up watching the sequels more than the original as a kid, but only because Cartoon Network aired them more frequently than the first movie.

When I revisited it as a young adult, there was no question that the first is miles above the subsequent films. I'd even forgotten that the first movie is he only one without songs in it, which kinda tells you all you need to know.

What also amazes me is that I'm pretty sure they made another Land Before Time movie not that long ago? Like a couple years? I assume it's surviving off parents that remember watching the series when they were kids?
>>
>>83862478
Beauty and the Beast turned me into Haruhi Fujioka.
>>
>>83863652
I had a vhs tape. Not sure if a movie or what. I was big into sonic at the time and the first animals to die are the hedgehogs. I cried every time. Also from what i remembered everyone dies to the sheer numbers didn't help things.
>>
>>83863793
>Fox's Peter Pan intrigues me, but I missed it when I was a kid. Is it worth going back to at all as an adult, or is it not that noteworthy outside of kid entertainment? Tim Curry was Hook, right? That's gotta at least be worth an episode or two in itself.
Go ahead and check out an episode or two. Hook was one of the more fun villains, but there were a lot with other characters in Neverland, like mermaids and such. The main things that I recall were that Peter was a big carefree jerk and Tink gets mistreated by him all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBeOIKiOGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T3xiQS_MWU
>>
>>83862478
i didnt like cartoons i could connect with. my childhood was defined by awesome mutated creatures fighting other awesome mutated creatures
or robots
or superheroes
>>
>>83862782
is it even possible to find this fucker online?
>>
>>83863876
oh was that once upon a forest?
i have to admit, in between mutant battles i enjoyed cute forest creature adventures. nimh, lit'l bits, maya the bee..
>>
>>83864038
See >>83863981
I found several other episodes on Youtube as well. No clue if the whole thing is there, but you can always check.
>>
>>83864078
oh shit. i bet that wont be there long. youtube's too big a deletion target, and disney bought this fucker up so they could kill it. assholes.
>>
>>83864160
>Published on Nov 21, 2012
>>
>>83864222
huh. well th-
oh, only 5 episodes up
ehh it's on kisscartoon, i'll just have to use that kisscartoon downloader to get around their adblock shit
>>
>>83862478
OP's choice, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Aladdin, Beauty and Deceptively Bad Writing, 1989 Batman. Is 9-17 still "childhood"? Then also a shitload of others.
>>
>>83863421
In case you know absolutely everything about it: does the TV show end conclusively? I know they made a compilation movie, and 2 sequels to it, but does the show have a proper ending?
>>
File: 1398195871557.jpg (1 MB, 1625x2488) Image search: [Google]
1398195871557.jpg
1 MB, 1625x2488
>>83864469
>Is 9-17 still "childhood"?

I'd say so? Or at least up until early or mid teens, which I would start to label "adolescence".

And not to derail the thread too far into Nemo discussion, but has anyone here checked out the comic series from a year or so ago?
>>
When I was a kid, I watched the shit out of Aristocats and Aladdin. Lion King too, but I think I watched Aristocats more.

This probably explains my unnatural attraction to Green Acres since Aristocats had a lot of the same actors.
>>
>>83864645
I never checked, since it's a sequel to 100 year old comics. Why bother?
>>
During my stints at American public schools, they always made us watch FernGully and I hated it, but damn if it doesn't bring back memories. Was more into Rescuers and DuckTales at the time.

I also remember my dad picking up bootleg VHSes in the early 90s of stuff like Aladdin because it was hard to catch new movies in Malaysia at the time. A guy sold them out of a backroom at the country club and they came in a red and white box with a photo of the movie poster on the front. I saw a lot of cartoons with people's heads in the foreground. It's kind of weird seeing those cartoons in legal formats now.

Luckily we were someplace with cable by the time the Cartoon Network golden age rolled around. Dexter's Lab and the Johnny Quest reboot were 100% my shit, late childhood defining.

>>83863479
I saw Animals of Farthing Wood on the BBC and for some reason had the book and the annuals? It was such a weird series to print fan magazines for.
>>
>>83862478
You already posted one of the biggest ones. Off the top of my head it's only rivaled by The Land Before Time, We're Back!, and a little over half of what makes up the Disney Renaissance. But for whatever reason, I think Little Nemo tops it. I haven't seen the movie in over a decade (quite possibly longer), but I am confident I know the movie by heart because that was one of those movies I'd watch over and over and over and over.

>>83863263
>The nightmare goo churning around the king guy... Beeeh... Its probably what ultimately got me interested in horror.
I never thought of it like that before, but I think the same happened to me, I'm a big horror fan these days. That is probably one of the things that kept my attention as a kid. I think I was also drawn by the sheer whimsy of the movie, more so than any movie like Alice in Wonderland or even The Wizard of Oz did for me.
>>
File: Tracker Phone.jpg (826 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Tracker Phone.jpg
826 KB, 800x1200
From the little tracker phone advert at the beginning to the unique way they had to fight off the Goblins, something about this shit just stuck with me most of my young age.

Plus that dope song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iIh1V3Kpes
>>
File: CharlieRobot.jpg (51 KB, 736x555) Image search: [Google]
CharlieRobot.jpg
51 KB, 736x555
I can't really remember many purely /co/ related movies (i.e, not adaptations like Batman '89 since that's probably cheating) that really had much significant of a impact on me - but "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" and "Batman: The Animated Series" were probably the biggest defining /co/ related entities of my childhood.

"The Brave Little Toaster" definitely stuck with me too, even though it didn't really have a very big impact on me overall. Same with FernGully, even though that one really didn't hold up as well.
>>
>>83864497
It ends in pretty much the same manner as the movie.
The machine planet is destroyed, and Tetsuro says goodbye to Maetel
>>
>>83862478
Saw this in theaters when I was 5, got super scared and hit when nemo opened the nightmare door.
>>
>>83865352
Alright, then I'll seek out the series in good quality, and buy nothing else.
>>
File: image.png (481 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.png
481 KB, 1024x576
>>83862478
The Twelve Tasks of Asterix
>>
File: Bugs_Bunny_Roadrunner_movie.jpg (26 KB, 251x397) Image search: [Google]
Bugs_Bunny_Roadrunner_movie.jpg
26 KB, 251x397
>>83862661
I've had weird experiences with The Land Before Time. I had grown up with the third and fifth movies but had never seen the original until a few years ago. (At the recommendation of an anon) While the original movie was definitely better, I have much more nostalgia for those two sequels. Some of the songs from them are completely burned into my mind.

The movies never did anything that gave me an interest in dinosaurs though. I was always a Pokemon kid.

As for stuff that defined my childhood besides Disney movies, one thing I have to give mention to is The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie. It's just a compilation of Chuck Jones directed Looney Tunes shorts edited into a movie but damn did they pick his best work. I had it on VHS and watched the fucking shit out of it. If you want to get a young child into Looney Tunes, show them that movie.
>>
File: 1415944404760.jpg (208 KB, 860x608) Image search: [Google]
1415944404760.jpg
208 KB, 860x608
The one that comes to mind the most is Mysterious Cities of Gold. Every time I've tried my hand at storytelling since childhood, I've felt it influencing me. That's not much--not a big part of my life, at least--but it's strange how it ingrained itself in me so much that I still associate it with what a story IS.
>>
>>83863160
You and me had almost the ecat same childhood. Just replace Ferngully with Secret of NIMH, and add the Rankin and Bass Hobbit and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
>>
File: Ferngully.jpg (32 KB, 287x416) Image search: [Google]
Ferngully.jpg
32 KB, 287x416
>>
>>83869998
MON NEGRE
>>
This movie!
>>
>>83863104

>Friendly reminder that this is rated U
>friendly reminder that there's enough gore and violence and shit for somebody to put it all to a Marilyn Manson song without re-using any footage.

I mean shit, I don't argue that it's a good movie, but god damn I'm pretty sure Game of Thrones has a lower body count than this movie.

>>83863263

The Black Cauldron was a weird one for me, I remember watchibng it as a kid and being mostly okay with everything until the climax. That scene of the Horned King getting sucked into the cauldron fucking stays with me.

>>83862478

I suppose THE animated film of my childhood would be The Incredibles. I was about ten or eleven when that came out and it's been my favourite animated film since. everything about that movie was my jam.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.