[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the verdict on this? Worth watching or what?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: chzqfpjuyaaqgpt.jpg (118 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
chzqfpjuyaaqgpt.jpg
118 KB, 640x640
So what's the verdict on this? Worth watching or what?
>>
guess not...
>>
>>83852716
I've seen the first two episodes. I'm enjoying it. It's different from the comics, but it's not bad.

Give it a try.
>>
>>83852716
>cable television
>everytime
>>
>>83852716
I like it.

Slow as shit though.
>>
>>83852716
Too soon to judge

Last episode made few anons wanna drop it cause nothing was happening in it

The talkback threads are slower/deader than this thread
>>
I was worried that the show leans bit more catoonish in spots, Arseface's introduction/prosthetic isn't as grotesque as I remember, and Cassidy's intro also leans in that direction.

>>83853080
This.

It's been awhile since I read the comics, but I thought that he left town pretty quick. It looks like they're laying down enough story-pipe that it won't be until the end of the season that they blow the popsicle stand (unless they hit it on the 7 episode swerve). Kind of like how TWD strung out the Shane storyline, for two seasons when the comics wrapped it up by issue six.
>>
>>83853229
Having only seen the pilot, I thought it was alright. Cassidy's the best part so far.
>>
why don't you fucking watch it and find out instead of relying on the judgements of others with different tastes than yourself.
>>
"Cassidy's Hilarious Shenanigans and Some Other Boring Shit That You Will Lose Interest In: The TV Show"
>>
>>83852716
First episode was terrible. Second one fixed some of the pacing issues. If it keeps improving it could be good but as of now it's pretty bad
>>
>>83852716
If you like the comic you are an edgelord retard
You might enjoy the show.

If you are a well adjusted adult you will not like it
>>
Despite its flaws it's shaping up to be ok.
>>
>>83855170
0/10 revenge of the faggot
>>
I'll watch anything with Joe Gilgun and this cutie.

Also I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
File: 1389348701796 (1).jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1389348701796 (1).jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>>83855170
>Garth Ennis is too deep for him
>Garth FUCKING Ennis
>>
Is fine. The photography is 10/10 tho.
>>
As someone who hadn't read the comic I have no idea what's going on.
>>
i like it. looking like its gonna be amazing in my opinion. havnt read the comics in a while though.

that was herr starr in the last ep right??

>>83858377
im honestly wondering if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
>>
I'm not liking it. Sheriff Root is Anneville's Sheriff, Arseface is already friends with Jesse, Quinncannon's meat plant is in Anneville, Jesse and Tulip are separated but still in contact with each other...what else, oh yeah Cassidy crash lands in Anneville and he and Jesse get arrested by Sheriff Root after a bar brawl in which the former kicks the arse of a wife-beating member of his congregation (whose wife works at Quincannon's)...all this in the pilot. Maybe they're just trying to get a lot of the story crammed in but it doesn't sit well with me. It's all over the fucking shop.
>>
>>83852716
I've been loving it. Though I've been told that it deviates from the comics and if you've read them to not expect an exact adaption. I've seen a bunch of people who've read the comic enjoy it though too.
>>
>>83858296
The opening theme is so....simple and good.
>>
....also Jesse gets Genesis when he's by himself in his church during a moment of brooding introspection and his FATHER is shown as a fucking preacher in flashbacks.
>also who is the woman who works at the diner who he's friendly with? Is it his sister, or something? WTF?!
>>
>>83855170
HOMO-SUPERIOR
>>
Not Preacher,

Interesting but slow as fuck

But holy shit guys, I forgot but I saw fucking arseface at work today. His mouth was a bit wider but it was round and shriveled up like an asshole. His nose was mushed down into it.

It was fucking weird.

He had one of those surgical masks on his face but put it down when he came into the store

>>83857974
I hate that she cut her hair

>>83862697
I think it's just a random church-goer who wants Jesse's dick
>>
>>83863640
Yeah...is she the organist?
>>
>>83864052
Yeah, organist, she drives him back to the church in the minivan with like the 10 kids, she tried to set up a coffee machine or something
>>
Show is alright.

It basks in over the top freaky weirdness, which is excellent.

Jesse being an ex-badass pussy instead of an bigot that means well is a mixed bag.

Tulip being crazy gangster bitch is less bad than I expected.

Cassidy is based.

I'm expecting a very different pacing than the comic judging by the first three episodes.

Expect LOTS of Anyville, don't expect New York. I'd be sad if they cut out grandma.
>>
>>83864363
I'm worried about The Saint. Who could they get to fill those shoes?
>>
>>83864363

>bigot that means well

uh, what?
>>
File: paulie_walnuts.jpg (36 KB, 200x187) Image search: [Google]
paulie_walnuts.jpg
36 KB, 200x187
>>83854845
I fucking hate this argument. No one wants to waste their time on bullshit anon. It's why people read reviews of things before they go out and purchase things. There are whole websites, tv shows, channels, and careers based around people telling other people a general consensus of consumer products. We get it, /a/ doesn't like recommendation threads. So thanks for being helpful
>>
>>83852716

I liked the last 2 episodes
>>
>>83864631
There are exactly two good people in the comic version of Preacher. Arseface and a inbred one eyed chick.
>>
>>83864631
Lol that what I thought. It's fucking strange that Tulip is baiting him to "be the bad guy" when Jesse was NEVER the bad guy in the comics, he was, like, the rule of morality opposed to the rule of law. Anytime he did something bad to someone his victims had already done far far worse. So it's a fucking weird reading of Jesse and Tulip, I think.
>>
>>83864715
>someone actually holds this opinion
>>
if the next episode don't raise the viewers don't bother, it will get cancelled anyway
>>
>>83864631
Jesse had a problem with French people, but past that I can't really think he was a bigot.
Bit of an asshole though.
>>
>>83864363
The weirdness is the thing that makes me pretty happy about how it turned out. Like it could have gone the way of Lucifer, and turned something unique into a formulaic crime procedural.

This may not be a direct adaptation, but at least it's something interesting.
>>
>>83862697
>and his FATHER is shown as a fucking preacher in flashbacks.
In the comics didn't Jessie's grandma force his dad to act as a preacher on their little farm cult commune before she had him killed?
Maybe that's what that is?
>>
I'm really interested to see what they do with Jesse's family, however far into the fucking future that'll be. They'll probably tone that down. I also want to see if Jesse makes the Sheriff do what he did in the comics and if Arseface chases after him.
>>
>>83864489
They already showed him in the newest episode
>>
>>83865810
I can't remember too clearly but I don't think so. I could be wrong.
>>83865822
I wouldn't mind them doing the "Star For Starr" arc. I think that'd be cool.
>>
Will God appear in this?

I mean he is the main villain and everything, but the shitstorm.
>>
File: Preacher 009-012.jpg (503 KB, 1074x1650) Image search: [Google]
Preacher 009-012.jpg
503 KB, 1074x1650
>>83862697
>ATHER is shown as a fucking preacher in flashbacks
Not really that much of a stretch. Book doesn't really spend too much time on it.
>>
>>83866197
You could say that most of the stuff in the TV show isn't much of a stretch. Looks like I was right, though, he's not shown as a preacher once in the comics.
>>
>>83865993
Lol no, they don't have the balls.

If supernatural wouldn't do it, there is no way this will .
>>
The one guy from the Grail or the show's equivalent to it is kinda great. The scene with his "nargh" line felt like Garth Ennis wrote it.
>>
>>83852716
i'm interested to see how it goes. they obviously have to tone down the supreme edgelord violence and nudity as it's cable, but i feel like they've been staying fairly true to characters aside from changing jesse and tulip's past
>>
>>83852716
low quality and it's boring as fuck
>>
>>83861617
To be fair, the guy Jesse beat up wasn't a wifebeater.

A scumbag who beat his kid, sure.
>>
It's way slower than it has any right to be. The comic's done. It's not like The Walking Dead where they have to worry about outpacing the source material.

I read the comic so I know what's up but I wouldn't be surprised if half the average viewers don't know what the fuck the show's supposed to be about despite the show being three 45-60 minute-long episodes in.

The comic tells us WAY MORE about the characters, the plot and the world they live in through a ~40 page first issue than the show's done in three episodes.

It also takes the unique premise of a man forced to be a preacher traveling America to find God and call him an asshole to his face and turned it into a generic story about a preacher with a dark past trying to regain his faith and uplift his small southern town.
>>
>>83864992
Plenty of people do.
Believe it or don't, many of us have jobs, friends, families, and other obligations, and don't have time to read or watch everything that piques our interest. We have be selective and that often means finding out what the consensus of a show might be.
>>
>>83857974
>cutie
I personally find her hideous, but okay.
>>
>>83867513
are you talking about the show or the comic?

He's most definitely a wife-beater in the show.
>>
>>83852716
I mean it'll probably be good until it starts becoming mediocre exactly like the comic.
>>
>>83867513
Did anyone else find the bar scene much more satisfying in the comics.

Comic:
>Jesse walks into the bar
>Sick of everyone being hypocritical, immoral shits
>Shit talks everyone
>Gets his ass handed to him wholesale
>>
File: RCO025_1461903678.jpg (937 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO025_1461903678.jpg
937 KB, 1988x3056
Cassidy is great, but i wish they had kept the scary eyes for a good reveal
>>
>>83853229
>>83853054
>>83858377
>>83858696
The shows is stated by the creators that the first few episodes are kind of meant to be a prequel to the comics and explain things a bit more before it actually gets into where the comic starts.
>>
File: RCO028.jpg (637 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO028.jpg
637 KB, 1988x3056
>>83867850
the only mediocre part was the salvation arc
but the ending was top tier
>>
>>83867772
They'll learn it if they ever go to a decent college/get a job.
>>
>>83862697
>also who is the woman who works at the diner who he's friendly with? Is it his sister, or something? WTF?!
I don't know what you'd call it, but she's a layperson volunteer church secretary/administrator... she basically helps the Preacher run the church, while he attends to the spiritual matters. She sees the money situation, and the she knows about the Super-church that's sapping membership and has a Starbucks in the vestry (which is why she suggests they get a coffee machine to compete).
She's a widow(?) with three kids, and she's obviously got an unrequited attraction to the oblivious Jesse.
>>
can someone please surmise what the comic's about? Like, is it supernatural or something...?
>>
>>83868301
A guy gets the power to make people obey his orders. He goes on a quest along his vampire buddy and his hitman girlfriend across america to search for god and call him a prick.

In between: serial killers, evil family, ancient church conspiration, sexual investigators, sadists, kkk, cannibals, vampire wannabe goths, a guy who likes meat, and a badass cowboy looking dude.

Full of rantings and male bonding.
>>
I like it so far but everything with Jackie Earl Haley makes no sense. That entire plotline feels like it was made for the comic fans only, to me it doesn't mean anything.

I assume Quinncannon matters way more in the comic?
>>
>>83868341
Sounds like a mixed bag, desu.
>>
>>83864939

youre confusing good with innocent bro
>>
>>83868354
Quincannon matters a lot, but not until later on. Don't know why the show is introducing it all so early.
>>
>>83868354

>Quinncannon matters way more in the comic?

no. the arc surrounding him matters much more than he does. he shouldnt be arouund this early though.
>>
Jesse beats up a pedophile who confesses his impulses and hasn't actually acted on them

Guess he just lost the 4chan audience there...
>>
>>83868731

honestly, dude got off light.
>>
>>83852716
Does anyone else feel like this is the worst possible interpretation of Tulip. BUT, if this was some OC that they added to the show to fill in that she's a really great character?
>>
>>83868802

being tulip is the issue i have with her, and her no bullshit personality seems like it would go well as a contrast to cassidys fucked up comic nature
>>
>>83868802
Yes, the actress is fuck ugly(nothing to do with her skin color), and the writers have made her a obnoxious, smug, unloveable, sociopathic, bitchy,cunt. Like pic related. Why the fuck do writers always do this? Fucking sjws ruining tv.
>>
>>83867828
>He's most definitely a wife-beater in the show.
The wife straight up says she gets off on it, which heavily implies that it's consensual. Not to mention the conversation he has with his kid in the latest episode about it, where he awkwardly stumbles around admitting that the wife is into having the shit slapped out of her.
>>
>>83867884
That would have been fantastic, but it would have been way harder to film without giving something away than it would have been to draw.
>>
>>83868869
Well, every character in The Strain who isn't Fet and Setrakian are awful. Especially the women. Nora was okay, so of course she dies.
>>
>>83866338
>If supernatural wouldn't do it, there is no way this will .

Supernatural did do it. God showed in this season.
>>
It's comfy as fuck.

It's not what you expect from the comic, but it's Terriers level of comfy.
>>
>>83866611
Which guy? Because those two dudes who have been trying to get Genesis from Jesse were revealed to be angels. We saw what I assume is Starr attending a snuff film festival, only he didn't have any lines and we never saw his face.
>>
It's growing on me. I of course wasn't expecting a perfect adaptation, but for the most part it's being faithful to the essence of the comic. My main gripe is how they made Jesse's father a preacher and how he's genuinely all godly. Maybe that'll change once he finds out where Genesis came from and if the show actually makes God a cunt like in the comic, but for now Jesse whole badass holy man shtick played straight is the greatest discrepancy from the source material.
>>
The pacing is dragging its feet too much and the editing and action scenes looks awful. It's a bit aggravating because they kinda have some ok ideas of how to turn the comic into a slower paced story suitable for tv formay but somehow we're getting a horrible drag it out as much as possible Breaking Bad 2.0 instead of a compelling and well told season long story.
>>
>>83865563
Was Lucifer a good comic? I literally know nothing about it, other than it was a Sandman spin-off
>>
>>83865563
I constantly forget that show is supposed to be tied to the comic series.
>>
>>83852716
If you're fine with it not being 100% true to the comic, then you'll be entertained.
It's fun and strange and darkly twisted.
The only problem is the decompression which seems to creep into comics and TV shows these days. So it'll be good for a binge watching when all the eps are out and available.

I like the actors, pretty solid so far.
Also I adore Ruth Negga, she's made of cute (and this show; madness).
>>
>>83870668
I'm two books in, and it's good so far familia.
>>
>>83868869
You have issues with women in general I think.
I bet you're a yank.
>>
>>83870621
I think Jesse is trying really hard to "be one of the good guys" and that it's not gonna stick for too much longer.
>>
Just finished the comic (haven't read the specials yet).
I think I would have liked them to go more the comic rout and not just stick to Anneville trying to be an actual preacher for the first season. I like the on the road journey but hey. I feel that maybe they went to soon with Quinncannon but okay let him be the first villain. Starr reveal was nice.

I hope they man up and do the Saint and God like they should and don't skip on the weird shit.
Needs all the blood.
>>
Who the fuck is that guy that left them and now they want to kill? Pretty sure hes not from the comic yet they make him out to be a pretty big deal for both of them. Will he be the one they will go search and not God??
>>
>>83858162

kek
>>
>>83866338
>Supernatural
> the same show that revealed God had abandzoned humanity and that the Angels were planning on letting the apocolypse happen cuz they think humanity's shit
>>
>>83871231
I'm guessing it's someone they look up when they finally leave the town, instead of Cassidy's writer friend.
>>
File: laughing blackfire.jpg (17 KB, 281x411) Image search: [Google]
laughing blackfire.jpg
17 KB, 281x411
>>83858162
>>
>>83871066

The Saint's special is the best. I personally think they should film it as a separate mini rather than trying to do it as in-series flashbacks. If this were on network TV, it'd be a mid-season fil-in.

They can't skimp on The Saint, otherwise you lose the contrast between him (actual cowboy, answers only to God) and Jesse (aspirant cowboy, determined to get answers from God).

Also, if they're going to out-GoT GoT, they have to keep all of it. Sexual Investigators, Jody & TC, the degradation of Herr Starr, God as the world's biggest asshole, inbred messiahs (wait for the shit to hit the fan on *that* one), "Not Enough Gun", etc

>>83867904

I'm OK with this, including dropping Quincannon hints early on (because only people who know the comics will know it's foreshadowing) I think >>83853229 may be right about the E7 swerve
>>
>>83865035

If Into the Badlands gets a season 2 this will get 6 seasons.
>>
>>83871549
>the degradation of Herr Starr
I hope to god they keep that in. It would be very dependent on casting, but if done right it would be some fucking incredible tv.
>>
>>83868241
Anon, we're talking about /a/ here. I mean, that's kind of like hoping for social progress from /r9k/.
>>
>>83868869
>Not liking Dutch from the Strain.
>>
>>83866320
IIRC

Jesse's dad is a Vietnam vet and his mom is a hippie wannabe who spat in his face after he came home from his tour. Then they had make-up sex. It's been suggested that Jesse's dad took up carpenting or something. At the very least he's shown holding a hammer and nailing some board at one point in the comic.

But he was never a preacher or ever shown to be religious.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.