[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Like Star Trek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
Can you recommend any comic books that are basically "like Star Trek (especially TOS), but a comic book" without being a literal licensed adaptation of Star Trek? The longer running, the better, and if it's currently ongoing with a big backlog, that would be awesome.

I just want to slowly get to know a big, sprawling universe and explore various topics through the eyes and ears of a star ship crew. Preferably with a mix of lighthearted and more serious stories, but generally not depressing.

It's fine if it's cosmic DC or Marvel, or if it's totally unrelated and superheroes never show up, but I'd really prefer that the main characters be a crew working together as they fly through space, in a Star Trek or Firefly type fashion, rather than GotG or something.
>>
You're looking for Star Wars
>>
>>83832786
Star Wars is drastically different in tone from Star Trek (albeit maybe less different from TOS than from other Star Trek, but still quite different) and isn't really about a crew working together on board a spaceship so much as medieval knights IN SPACE who sometimes hitch rides with individuals who pilot spaceships by themselves.

In Star Trek, space ships feel like ships, and in Star Wars, they feel like space-airplanes. Both are fine, but I want the former.
>>
TOS was practically a live action comicbook.
Look up comics from around the same era, like DC's Strange Adventures or go to comicbook plus and look on the sci fi tag.
You wll not find anything long running or with military characteristics but you will find the same feeling of great adeventure that TOS had.

Not in english but I enjoyed it a lot Dani Futuro, a spaniard comic contemporary to TOS with a similar feeling and amazing artwork.
>>
>>83833524
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into Strange Adventures and check out the sci-fi tag. I'll also read Dani Futuro. Should be a good way to brush up. I'm not Peggy Hill bad, but I could use some work.
>>
Legion of Superheroes has a very Star Trek camaraderie feel, and in the early issues they explore some Trek like strange planets. They even crossed over with Trek a few years ago so the similarities are known to the publishers
>>
>>83832854
Star Trek and Star Wars are the same thing. Just read the Star Wars comics.
>>
>>83833659
I'll look into it.
>>83833669
>Star Trek and Star Wars are the same thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Star_Trek_and_Star_Wars#Differences
>>
>>83833581
There are lots of stuff like Strange Adventures buried in the limbo of no reprints but old sci fi comics are crazy and good

there is also a french translation of Dani Futuro. In the scans I have french is in color and spanish is B&W, both are worth seeing.

>>83833659
Seconding this

>>83833669
eat shit.
>>
Atari Force
>>
File: Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_1_2.jpg (482 KB, 853x1337) Image search: [Google]
Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol_1_2.jpg
482 KB, 853x1337
>>83832753
>but I'd really prefer that the main characters be a crew working together as they fly through space, in a Star Trek or Firefly type fashion, rather than GotG or something
Isn't that what GotG is, or at least was?
>>
>>83833943
Hadn't heard of that. Cool.
>>83834349
Maybe. I just assumed the movie was somewhat of an accurate representation of the kind of comic it was, even if the tone was different and it didn't star all the same characters. Which led me to think it was basically "Avengers in space."
>>
>>83833762
>In space
>crew flies around and visits random planets
>encounters various space people
>Space battles, planet battles
>weird crew made up of various races
>talking robot crewman

The only difference is one has lightsabers and one has ray guns
>>
Alien Legion
The Midas Flesh
Black Science
Abnett/Lanning GotG
>>
>>83834513
>on Earth
>one guy fights some other people and is in love with a girl
>trains hard with the help of an older mentor
>earth fights
>no robots to be seen

The Flash on CW and the Rocky movies are the same thing. The only difference is the Flash has better footwork.
>>83834521
Thank you.
>>
>>83832753
Transformers: More than meets the eye would be perfect fit for what you'e looking for. I haven't read it completely, but it's amazing in terms of quality as well.
The million year war between Autobots and Decepticons is over, but the planet is still in shackles due to the war and neutrals returning. So Rodimus blindly leads a crew in search of knights of cybertron. It's a character driven story, exploring members of the crew and more characters they find along the way.
>>
File: 01.jpg (371 KB, 1193x1615) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
371 KB, 1193x1615
>>83834521
I was gonna say Alien Legion but I felt like OP was looking for something that felt a bit more optimistic.
>>
File: 18m4udmqskeoujpg.jpg (62 KB, 800x397) Image search: [Google]
18m4udmqskeoujpg.jpg
62 KB, 800x397
Switchblade Honey by Warren Ellis. It's darker than TOS but it ends up feeling like a dirty joke more than some nihilistic take on it.
>>
>>83834597
He doesn't know about the robot In Rocky IV.
>>
I always got a TOS meets Uncanny X-Men vibe from Legion Of Super-Heroes.
>>
>>83834513
Where the fuck is the talking robot crewman in Star Trek: The Original Series?
>>
>>83839030
Yeah there aren't really any star ships and the cat is huge but I think OP would enjoy LOSH

There's even a TOS/LOSH crossover!
>>
Challengers of the Unknown might be close to what you want, although not about space.
There's also Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.