[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Jean so worthless? Are her powers just hard to write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-05-21h45m00s629.png (262 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-05-21h45m00s629.png
262 KB, 640x480
Why was Jean so worthless? Are her powers just hard to write or what? She ought to be useful in most fights instead of frail and inept.

Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzc5VHL1bPM
>>
>>83829716
That's not uncommon among characters whose powers could quickly effortlessly win most fights, were it not for vaguely-defined limitations. It's like how most RPG bosses are immune to every status effect spell. If the only thing stopping her from just putting people to sleep or floating them into the air is either them resisting her power or her being taken out before she can use it, then pretty much every enemy of any significance is going to either resist her power or take her out before she can use it.
>>
That show never disappoints with supercuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K956y2om92I
>>
I kinda wish Xavier was the one with telepathy and telekinesis.

Imagine the most powerful telepath also being the strongest telekinetic.

>And all he uses it is to pretend he can still walk or push his wheel chair around.
>>
She's an empath. She's a very sensitive women who is deeply affected by the emotional energies of the people around her, which makes her extremely unstable while at the same time making her capable of extreme heights of power. It's actually the reason why she's such a good character.

I don't know why you guys are always thinking of these characters like they're solely defined by video game style power levels. You kind of miss the idea behind story telling thinking in these terms.
>>
>>83830302

But can she beat the Hulk?
>>
>>83830360
What would be the underlying thematic significance in this fight between Jean Grey and the Hulk within the wider context of the story?
>>
>>83830302
But everyone fusses over her. All the time.
>>
>>83830360
Hulk is the strongest one there is.
>>
>>83830397
>The world's greatest empath-in-training versus child abuse survivor in the body of a superior being

This shit writes itself my dude
>>
>>83830463
I would say the story would be Jean Grey exploring the unconsciousness of the Hulk and finding the fractured pieces of Banners psyche throughout his unstable mindscape then, and not be a fight that has anything to do with power levels or who could beat the other in a battle
>>
>>83830625

Nonsense. There's always a battle.

The battle... CALLED SELF.
>>
>>83830409
What do you mean?
>>
>>83830625
>>83830641

Also the last time we did "the Hulk's subconscious" as a storyline the fucking Devil Hulk became a thing, although they didn't give it a physical manifestation until I wanna say the 2010s
>>
>>83829716
She was pretty useful in X-Men: Apocalypse, m8.
>>
>>83830685
That's because Hulk is primarily written by people who don't get what the character and his stories are supposed to be like thematically. He's a psychological character to his core.
>>
>>83830849

They were running with the "grey hulk, savage hulk, and the professor aren't different personalities, they're all just different ways that Bruce deals with his shit"

So obviously there was the shit that he couldn't deal with, like the devil hulk and the guilt hulk, standing in for his dad and his catholicism respectively
>>
>>83830889
It would be more interesting to explore the psyche of the Hulk while he is the active personality, and see Banner within his unconscious as his "super ego". I don't really like Freudian conceptions of the psyche, but that's what Banner would be.
>>
>>83829716
Just read Grant's New X-Men and, yeah. that ain't no problem.
>>
File: Incredible Hulk Psyche.jpg (316 KB, 1200x1813) Image search: [Google]
Incredible Hulk Psyche.jpg
316 KB, 1200x1813
They really should have done more with this.
>>
>>83830409
psychic manipulation to make everyone fawn over her
>>
>>83834150

But then PAD came back and retconed nearly everything that occurred in his absence into being bad dreams.
>>
>>83829716
It used to make me really upset how weak they made her in the show. Like, why the fuck was she even on the team if she couldn't even do shit. In the comics Jean is a huge fucking hypocrite and Mary Sue.

>>83830302
>Jean
>empath

The bitch is barely human anymore.
>>
File: 1462885025022.png (330 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
1462885025022.png
330 KB, 400x301
AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH
>>
>>83829716
because she had her period
>>
>>83829716
she was dealing with shit more important
>>
>>83829716
My favorite part of that video is Jean just falling over for no reason
>>
>>83829716

Because psychics and time-travelers are the two most difficult types of characters to write for. Both powers are so ridiculously OP you have to nerf them so they don't end the battle in nine seconds but by doing so that makes them almost always useless until the big finale.

Anyone who ever watched Heroes knows what I'm talking about to a painful degree.
>>
File: 1445392532135.jpg (55 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
1445392532135.jpg
55 KB, 500x297
>>83843823
>Because psychics and time-travelers are the two most difficult types of characters to write for.
I call bullshit on both of those.

Time travel is obvious. Fuck with events too much and you end up cause paradoxes.

Telepaths however, can be made easily manageable is you simply take into account that sapient minds are highly complex, thus requiring some actual work for a telepath to read, manipulate, what have you.

Pic related is actually a pretty good example, Saturn Girl is often shown having to work through the squishy maze of someone's brain to do whatever task she needs to do. Just do that, and telepaths become a non-issue writing-wise.
>>
>>83829716

Because they always nerf the insta-win button character. See Superman in Justice League.
>>
>>83829716

Because shit writing mixed with power levels.
>>
>>83829920
> Mooks die before status effects do anything
> Bosses immune to status effects
Fucking hell.
>>
>>83844518
At least Shin Megami Tensei was pretty good about it.
>>
>>83829716
I never watched beyond the Apocalypse ending saga, how are the episodes after that?
>>
>>83829920
This is why she was originally only telekinetic, not telepathic.
>>
>>83830302
>>83830397
You. I like you.
>>
>>83847538
The third season is even rougher than the first two, and all I remember from it are two episodes that gave Jubilee extra-focus including one last Apoc appearance where he tried to bodyjack her of all people, a Cannonball episode with reeeally bad fake Southern US accents, the infamous Merry Morlock Christmas... and lots of shitty animation. Like, the early seasons aren't GOOD looking, but at least they have the excuse of sticking to those absurdly busy Jim Lee character models. In season 3, the characters degrade into off-model putty people constantly, so you can't even appreciate Rogue's fine ass f'rinstance.

That said, the finale gives a surprising amount of closure to the series, so it's worth seeing at least once I guess.
>>
>>83847538
The series continues to have worse and worse animation. It's actually pretty funny to watch. Also they change voice actors for a lot of the cast so you have Jedite from the sailor Moon anime doing his damndest to the original voice actor's Gambit voice and not doing a good job. Also a new Rogue trying to channel Lenore Zann
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.